Topic: Anderson Silva

How is this possible?!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

lilspyder
lilspyder
  • Predictions:  32,913  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  288
  • Post Score: 100

02.01.2011 | 7:52 PM ET

Ok i've been on this site for about three days now and I am shocked that this sight being up for so long does not have any threads for the Anderson Silva forum!!! What is wrong here?! I thought I'd at least find some "I hate the spider" threads or something. How can this man, who is considered by this website (which means all of its members) the no. 2 pound for pound best fighter and no. 1 middle weight AND no. 10 favourite fighter not have posts!!! For shame. Discuss.

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

Anderson "The Spider" Silva

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Anderson da Silva
  • Pro MMA Record: 34-11-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Spider
  • Current Streak: 3 Losses
  • Last Fight: October 31, 2020 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Middleweight | Last Weigh-In: 184.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: N/A
  • Height: 6'2" (188cm) | Reach: 77.5" (197cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $4,857,000 USD
  • Born: Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
  • Fighting out of: Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
  • College: N/A
  • Foundation Style: Muay Thai
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

02.03.2011 | 8:23 AM ET

It would be good for the ufc to have a event in japan with a japanese headlining. So they might put it off for a while till the make a deal with japan. @cayman fighter even if silva was being fed opponents he as been chewing them up like none other.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.03.2011 | 8:49 AM ET

Great points, i had no idea GSP isn't working with Jon Chaimberg anymore or his manager Sherri Spencer? Where did you find this out? It has to come to a head someday in the WW division, i think if Diego beats Kampmann he'll be right back in the mix, perhaps a rematch with Kos would do some good. GSP has always had a mobile camp and you can't deny that Firas Zahabi is one the best cornerman in the world. I think 1 fight without Greg would be just fine for any of these fighters.

@BeastMaster has a great point about Anderson, we shouldn't base our opinions on fighters whom he fought and annihilated in the past. That would be the case for many fighters ala Randy beating Tim Sylvia or Arlovski and Rogers since they lost to Fedor. Not many fighters have kept adapting with the fight game to keep themselves in constant title contention like a BJ Penn or Jon Fitch, or perhaps they don't have the mental toughness as those two i just listed after losing a title shot.

caymanfighter
caymanfighter
  • Predictions:  43  |  55.8%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 80

02.03.2011 | 9:43 AM ET

@bklettke check mixedmartialarts.com and mmamania.com I'm sure I read the articles there a few weeks ago, there was a LOT of speculation between the splits especially with Spencer since she helped get him various lucrative sponsorship deals such as Under Armour and Gatorade.

@BeastMaster I agree totally as I am a believer in it doesn't matter who you fight because on any given night someone can pull off an upset. Especially in MMA. My point is that people shouldn't criticize someone like Overeem's record or Fedor's record. Sure they have fought their share of cans but they have put together some amazing streaks that can compare with Anderson's. I mean for instance look at Overeem's victim sheet in the 6 months alone. (K-1 and MMA). I just think that too much emphasis is being placed on records now in MMA and it will soon end up like boxing where an undefeated record means more than having quality fights. Prime examples, Couture and Penn, you look at their records and go "DAMN that many losses?" Yet when you look at who they lost to and what they have accomplished you can still argue they are some of the best fighters around.
bklettke
bklettke

02.03.2011 | 10:30 AM ET

@caymanfighter - I will do some research because i'd be shocked that he really did split with Spencer for the reasons you named above.... You've got some great point brother and i'd have to agree with you on this more than anyone. The last thing we want MMA to be viewed like or compared too is boxing. Great examples with the Couture/Penn comparison. Can't wait to see some of your rankings dude!
lilspyder
lilspyder

02.04.2011 | 5:25 AM ET

caymanfighter you really should start putting up some rankings i'm curious to see them and discuss! Best way to keep in touch for sure. The sherrie spencer thing was really made official and I read it off of a newspaper article online, but i did not know he cut from jon chaimberg as well! very bad move on his part i think. Could this be because of his start of rushfit possibly? I will say this GSP is so awesome he takes over everything! main stream markets, excercise videos, and now anderson silva's forum! lol very interesting topic though for sure

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

bklettke
bklettke

02.04.2011 | 5:49 AM ET

Just confirmed it within my own eyes, not to doubt you lispyder..... i'm shocked mmajunkie didn't report this.... either way, change is good for any athletes. Perhaps GSP wanted to go in a new direction or needed new challenges in marketing and strength/conditioning training. One thing is for sure, i don't expect to see a decline in his performance....

to get this back on the Topic of Silva - i'm predicting he beats Vitor via his nasty Muay Thai clinch with some viscious knees, it's time to bring back the Anderson of a few years ago with a violent destruction.

caymanfighter
caymanfighter

02.04.2011 | 6:35 AM ET

@bklettle I would agree on Silva winning 98% of the time. My one reason for picking Belfort is because as we have seen before, MMA fights are too unpredictable. I will agree with anyone that Silva is the better overall fighter. Its just as we have seen with lightweight division, not necessarily the best fighter is champ, not saying Frankie isn't amazing, its just that I believe he is one of a select few that has Penns number, I'm pretty sure if Penn faced Maynard it would be another win for the Hawaiian, Penn could probably clean out the rest of the division but as we have seen he has big problems with Edgar's timing and style. I firmly believe that the key to beat Anderson is a striker with very quick, straight, clean, punches who has black belt level grappling with the strength to keep the fight where he wants it. A fighter that is powerful enough to escape Silva's amazing clinch. I disagree with everyone that says wrestlers are the way to go against him, as we have seen, he does a very good job staying composed and absorbing as little damage as possible from the bottom. Anderson's weak spot is takedown defense but when taken down he does a very good job conserving energy by not making foolish mistakes. He has obviously picked up the Nog bros trademark of waiting for guys to gas to lock in subs. My dumb unlikely prediction is that we have a upset knockout or  controversial decision that throws the division on its head and postpones the superfight at least a few months.
lilspyder
lilspyder

02.04.2011 | 7:45 AM ET

OH MY F***IN GOD it would be amazing if anderson finished vitor with his muay thai clinch knees combo! It may give me a heart attack to see that! Now as to what caymanfighter said, vitor belfort may be the best match to beat anderson for sure, i mean i've picked anderson to win as I will anyday of the week, but this fight scares me in that I believe caymanfighter is right in saying vitor has the tools to beat anderson and not just in any given day but probably everyday lol. It's definetly gonna be depending on vitor's mindset, weak mindset silva all day any day, strong mindset and wow we got ourselves a fight! I hope that he has the strong mindset though cause I want to see an amazing fight and if vitor wins great!! If anderson wins in a great fight, best thing to ever happen to the middleweight division. IF this becomes a boring fight though all i can say is  :'(

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.06.2011 | 6:50 AM ET

So just goes to show God does hear prayers and He answered mine in a HUGE way last night! Not muay thai knees but a teap kick! Amazing! simply amazing. I also do agree with Silva showing Vitor all the respect he did after the fight because we all know that Anderson now has Vitor to thank for the resurrection of his career for sure. Only downside was the fact that he had Steven Segal as one of his entourage? ***? I mean Segal was pretty cool back in the day but now that's just weird. And Silva gave him credit for that knock out kick at the post fight conference! Well if he really did give it to him good for Segal, still think he's a prick though and will always wonder about Silva for that choice.

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.06.2011 | 6:59 AM ET

Segal's been in Anderson's a corner a couple of times now, I think we'll be seeing it more in the future.  Pretty sure they're good friends at this point and they like to train together a bit.  Segal's a legit martial artist.

Anyway last night it felt so good to be an Anderson Silva fan.  I could not stop screaming for like 30 seconds when I saw that kick connect with Vitor's chin.  It looked surreal.  Anderson's striking should never come into question ever, ever, ever again.  So many people tried to discredit his striking saying he never faced an elite striker, well what now?  Anderson has faced and beaten everything the UFC has thrown at him which includes elite BJJ guys, wrestlers, strikers, and even very well rounded fighters like Nate.

Anderson's my all time greatest fighter as well as my current pound-for-pound champion and I am so stoked that he's going to get a chance to prove it against GSP should GSP beat Shields.  Even if GSP loses to Shields it would be hard not to consider Anderson THE best fighter alive.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

bklettke
bklettke

02.07.2011 | 5:50 AM ET

@lilspyder - dude don't discredit anything Steven Seagal has ever done, were his movies not the most badass thing ever made?? LOL - on a serious note, Seagal is a 7th dan degree and Shihan in Akido - translation for those who don't understand - a 7th dan degree is well above a blackbelt, i believe it's like a second degree red-white belt - and Shihan means he is a senior instructor of Akido. The list goes on and on with this guy. Silva has continuously stated Seagal has been working with him on that kick for quite some time.

As for the fight, it was great to see Silva return to his destructive form! His head movement against Belfort was ridiculous as always. When GSP gets past shield i'm probably going to sell my entire life to make it to the fight! And i'm more than happy to rub it in the faces of all the Silva haters in the prediction form for this fight that he hasn't lost a stop, I WAS RIGHT and YOU WERE WRONG,  Silva's still the baddest man on the planet next to Seagal!

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.07.2011 | 10:37 AM ET

@bklettke and @LynxGuy Yes Yes Y E S to anderson sylva being the best and screwing over all the sylva hater's amazing! Now for Segal, not saying he isn't a legit martial art badass i mean he came into martial art movies when you had to be a legit martial artist to kick ass. So having said that, I still think it's a bit weird to have Segal teach you things that Silva should have known from the time he was 13 learning muay thai. Now I will say this Segal probably gave him pointers to give the front kick to the face but to give him ALL the credit?! sadness in my eyes. Now what do you guys think about Okami fighting Silva? he's been denied his fight with Silva for way too long! And he beat him before so there's the revenge factor, and he's a really physically strong dude that has great wrestling. I'm just saying that seems to be what is necessary to beat him? why not give him the fight? I love Anderson so let him prove he can do it!

bklettke
bklettke

02.07.2011 | 10:47 AM ET

Silva/Okami will only happen if GSP loses. And in my opinion the only reason it happens is because it takes place in Japan or Brazil, I think the UFC doesn't want to take the chance of this fight in the US because Okami doesn't sell fights. As a fan i wish they'd go against this business model and make the fight. It's another test for Silva in the wrestling department, but i don't think its very motivating for him because he lost to him in Pride. He only lost because of an illegal upkick. I think the Anderson today steamrolls Okami on the feet before it ever makes it to the ground because Okami's takedowns mostly originate from the clinch or against the cage and he won't stalk him recklessly like Chael Sonnen did.
BeastMaster
BeastMaster

02.07.2011 | 11:31 AM ET

That sucks for okami, having to wait longer for his title shot.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

02.07.2011 | 11:31 AM ET

Sucks for okami, having to wait longer for his title shot.

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

02.07.2011 | 11:32 AM ET

Sorry.

caymanfighter
caymanfighter

02.09.2011 | 7:34 AM ET

just a quick correction, it wasn't PRIDE but Rumble on the Rock he lost to Okami. I also think Okami is getting royally screwed. Not saying Okami would have won the first fight but the illegal upkick did come from desperation on Anderson's part. Okami was controlling him on the ground at that point. After thinking long and hard about it, I've come up with a pretty crazy suggestion...put together Okami vs GSP no matter the outcome of the Shields fight. That would be a good test for GSP at MW and if Okami does prove successful it will give him the name that the UFC wants as being one of the few guys to get by GSP. What about Anderson? Well why not give him the winner of Shogun vs Jones in Brazil? I think this scenario will settle the dispute for best p4p between GSP and Silva and still potentially set up the superfight.

That leads me into this, has everyone forgotten about the other superfight that was talked about briefly before Machida vs Shogun I? I clearly remember Anderson and Shogun stating their desire to fight each other prior to the fight. Anderson specifically said he would never fight Machida but should Shogun win the belt he would like to challenge. Dana also stated after Anderson's destruction of Forrest that Anderson was in line for a 205 title shot. All the cards have lined up for that superfight yet after the second Machida vs Shogun, Anderson completely did a 180 and said his "duty was to defend the MW title". Shogun has again stated since UFC 126 he would like to fight Anderson. Anderson has not responded...why has Silva backed off from this fight?
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.09.2011 | 8:10 AM ET

@cayman some interesting ideas there.  but also involves lots of weight class jumping... GSP to 185, Anderson to 205 again...  my preference would be to keep that stuff to a minimum.

GSP vs Okami would be compelling from a sporting point of view, but I doubt the UFC goes for it. They are interested in the super-fight that they can put in Dallas Cowboys stadium, but they can't do that with GSP-Okami.  And if Okami wins, then GSP's reputation has been damaged.   Competitively makes sense but probably not good business decision for UFC.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.09.2011 | 8:10 AM ET

and yes, Okami is getting screwed. hopefully they find a way to make things right for him.

"I live, I die, I live again."

caymanfighter
caymanfighter

02.09.2011 | 9:41 AM ET

also I'm not the one to insult any martial artist. I do feel though that the Seagal incident needs to be touched on. I don't discredit Mr. Seagal's accomplishments as a martial artist, it takes much dedication to attain the level he has. I just have a problem with him receiving as much credit as he has. No doubt he can provide valuable insight but how practical is his training. How many times has he had to use his techniques in "real" combat such as competition? The one account I have heard of Seagal involved in a fight took place between him and "Judo" Gene LaBell. There has been various accounts of this story that I have heard and even read in "Blood in the Cage". To sum it up Mr. Seagal has a reputation of not holding back with stunt men, often hitting them with full force to "make it seem authentic." Gene LaBell for those who don't know is a very decorated martial artist and prolific Hollywood stunt man and coordinator. While on the set of movies Seagal routinely "sparred" with stuntmen. Apparently after a day of smack talk he and LaBell threw down. Seagal woke up a while later from a LaBell choke. Another issue I have is the fact that he is so out of shape how is it even possible for him to demonstrate proper technique? Look at the training videos of him with Machida and Silva, it looked like they were being coached by a bear! Also if his techniques are so "special" why the hell didn't we see Machida use them in the Rampage fight?

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Flavio Almeida Promoted To 6th Degree BJJ Black Belt
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC Asia And Oceania Trials 2024 Full Results And Review
  • MMAFighting.com : Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. George Kambosos full fight video highlights
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis post-fight show: Reaction to Lewis’ big finish, Buckley’s win and McGregor callout
  • Bad Left Hook : Vasiliy Lomachenko stops George Kambosos to win IBF belt
  • MMA Mania : Liver Shot KO! Lomachenko Styles On Kambosos For Masterclass Win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Is This Guy For Real?!?’
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White praises Joaquin Buckley's UFC on ESPN 56 win, but shuts down his Conor McGregor request
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Lomachenko vs. Kambosos ring announcer completely bungle co-main event fight result
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch ring announcer completely bungle fight result for Lomachenko vs. Kambosos co-main event
  • Bad Left Hook : Lomachenko vs Kambosos: Live updates and results
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 2024 post-fight bonus winners: Inside the numbers
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 bonuses: 12-second winner is a $50K no-brainer
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis bonuses: Trey Waters, Billy Goff take home Fight of the Night following epic war
  • MMA Mania : OUCH! Rebecki Shares Photo Of His Mangled Face
  • MMA Mania : Bonuses! ‘Black Jag’ Banks $50K For 12 Seconds Of Work
  • UFC.com : Bonus Coverage | UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Balls got hot again’: Pros react to Derrick Lewis knocking out Rodrigo Nascimento at UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis scores vicious knockout, moons crowd at UFC St. Louis 
  • MMA Mania : Hot Balls Highlights! Lewis Delivers Vicious KO Before Mooning Crowd