Topic: Evans vs. Davis

Evans vs. Davis

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,622  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,553
  • Post Score: 60

11.30.2011 | 10:15 AM ET

Prediction: correct Evans   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Evans vs. Davis. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 4

Imij Inc
Imij Inc
  • Predictions:  1,286  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  6
  • Post Score: 33

01.27.2012 | 10:44 PM ET

Prediction: correct Evans   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Could go either way, i like mr wonderful but i have an odd feeling rashad is going to expose davis' chin.
HectorMarcel
HectorMarcel
  • Predictions:  3,584  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  49
  • Post Score: 88

01.28.2012 | 2:38 AM ET

Prediction: correct Evans   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Rashad's striking and movement will be too much for Davis at this point in his career.

"MMAdawgs.com"

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

01.28.2012 | 3:16 AM ET

im not worried about davis' chin, as much as im worried about his rudimentary standup... he looked like a rookie when lil nog kept the fight standing... if he cant constantly takedown evans, he better hope he's grown alot in the gym since then

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Hybrid
Hybrid
  • Predictions:  158  |  57.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,437
  • Post Score: 236

01.28.2012 | 11:58 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Davis   wrong Decision  

I changed my pick to Davis last night. It's more for moral support than anything.

"History boils down to a few really awesome people doing really awesome stuff, and a bunch of idiots messing it up for everyone else."

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

01.28.2012 | 12:09 PM ET

I see this being a tight back and forth battle with Rashad taking the decision.

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

snowman
snowman
  • Predictions:  20,083  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  270
  • Post Score: 200

01.28.2012 | 1:56 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Davis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

had to go with evans .... but got a feelin for davis sub 2nd or 3rd .....;(
CrackheadControl
CrackheadControl
  • Predictions:  10  |  50.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 0

01.28.2012 | 2:04 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Davis   wrong Decision  

Very close fight, I'll take Phil Davis for the upset because I have been really impressed with him so far. I wouldn't mind another Rashad face KO, but it'll probably be a decision.

"Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind."

xxTank0019xx
xxTank0019xx
  • Predictions:  6,259  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,364
  • Post Score: 169

01.28.2012 | 2:14 PM ET

Looking for evans to win.

"2012 GIF AV Grand Prix "FAH Q" Award winner!"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

01.28.2012 | 3:09 PM ET

10-Point Breakdown

I haven't done one of these in a long time, and I do apologize for that because I do love doing these. I've been working so many hours, and my laptop that I have up in Portland is so goddamn slow, it's hard for me to do more than just pick fights and keep up on my rankings. So to all of my Team Punk Rock bros, and to all of my tapology friends, I apologize for not posting much or talking much to all of you. I'm on my wife's laptop right now, and it's a badass laptop. Anyways without further delay, here's my 10-point breakdown on Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis.

1. Mental Edge/Confidence/Gameplan - When it comes to overall mental edge, I think that Rashad holds a slight advantage here because he has faced the better opposition, is a former UFC LHW Champion, and knows that he is the quicker fighter. Where Phil Davis might come in with some confidence is his win over Lil Nog, but that is the biggest win of his career thus far. Rashad has defeated Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, Forrest Griffin, Rampage, and Stefan Bonnar  Phil Davis is undefeated, but this will be the biggest test of career to date. When it comes to gameplan, I don't see where either fighter has ever had any problems coming into a fight with a good gameplan, and be able to successfully execute that gameplan. Because of all being considered in this area, I have to give a slight nod to Rashad Evans. Evans 9/10, Davis 8/10

2. Experience/Level of Opposition - Rashad has 18 fights in his career, while Phil Davis has only 9. Rashad has faced legends, champions, and great contenders in the UFC, while Phil Davis' most notable opponents have been Lil Nog and Gustafsson. The clear advantage here goes to Rashad. Evans 8/10, Davis 6/10

3. Heart/Determination to Win - When it comes to a question of heart, I've seen Rashad in trouble in fights, and still come back to win. He had a rough first round in his fights against Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell, and he still came back to win. In his decision victories over Thiago Silva and Rampage, he was in trouble in the 3rd round, and survived to earn the victory. I've actually never seen Rashad give up in any of his fights, or see his spirit break. Not even in his loss to Lyoto Machida. Phil Davis on the other hand is undefeated, so thus far in his career, he has a great determination to win, but his heart, I think, has yet to be truly tested. This fight could be the proving ground to see what Phil Davis' heart is truly made of. At this point, I will give the advantage to Evans. Evans 8/10, Davis 7/10

4. Stamina/Cardio - This is where I think that Davis might have a slight advantage here, but then again I'm not really sure. It's a really tough call to make at this point. I've seen Rashad gas in the 3rd round in some of his fights. He did this against Stefan Bonnar, Sam Hoger, Michael Bisping, and Thiago Silva. Rashad did kind of redeem himself of gassing  when he fought Rampage, but it still leaves some questions in my mind about Rashad's cardio. When Davis fought Lil Nog and Brian Stann, IMHO he didn't seem to gas or slow down in either fight, but those are the only fights where I've seen Phil Davis go more than 2 rounds, and I really haven't seen too many of Phil Davis' fights, but what little I do know, I think I have to give Davis the slight nod in this category here. Evans 8/10, Davis 9/10

5. Endurance/Toughness - I haven't really seen Davis in any kind of trouble in his fights thus far, but then again, I don't think that Davis has been that tested in the UFC. Again Davis' biggest fight so far is Lil Nog, and all he did in that fight is wrestle**** Lil Nog for 3 rounds. Rashad Evans can be rocked, hurt, and he has been KO'd, but Evans was KO'd by Lyoto Machida, and he was rocked by Rampage, Liddell, and Thiago Silva, so that really does say something on Rashad's behalf. IMHO, I don't think that Davis is going to have a punch that matches that of Liddell, Rampage, or Silva, but at this point it seems to me that Davis can take a pretty good punch. This fight might be the test for Phil Davis on that. For now, I will call this area even. Evans 8/10, Davis 8/10

6. Overall Striking - I honestly believe that there is no question that Rashad Evans has the better striking, and has the more versatile striking ability. Not too mention the mobility, natural boxing skills, and the speed advantage. Phil Davis' striking has improved, but his greatest attribute is in his wrestling and grappling ability. Advantage Evans. Evans 9/10, Davis 7/10

7. Overall Grappling/Wrestling - Both fighters have a great wrestling pedigree, but I think that Davis' overall wrestling and grappling is a step above Evans'. If there is anywhere where I think that Davis can win the fight it's in this area right here. Advantage Davis. Evans 9/10, Davis 10/10

8. Overall Submissions/BJJ - It's really hard for me to see either fighter here with a clear cut advantage, but Evans isn't known to win fights by submission, but Davis does have a couple of submission victories to his credit. If I had to say who was better in this department, I would give a very slight advantage to Davis. Evans 8/10, Davis 9/10

9. Strength/Size - There is no doubt in my mind that Davis is the bigger stronger fighter coming into this fight. It has been said a couple of times in that past by many MMA enthusiasts, that Evans could cut to 185, while Davis is a very large 205. Evans 8/10, Davis 10/10

10. Speed/Athleticism - Evans is definitely the quicker more athletic fighter coming into this fight. Evans 10/10, Davis 7/10

Overall Score = "Sugar" Rashad Evans - 85/100, Phil "Mr. Wonderful" Davis - 81/100

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

01.28.2012 | 10:22 PM ET

my favorite fighters does it again. `17-1 and now he gets to face jones in atlanta if his body will be ready which i think it will. EVANS is da man.
zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

01.28.2012 | 10:26 PM ET

@Wolfman You agree that your favorite fighter is going to lose to Jones in Atlanta?

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

haven
haven
  • Predictions:  94,655  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,030

01.28.2012 | 10:28 PM ET

Prediction: correct Evans   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

evens is the man

"i like mma and the tapology"

haven
haven
  • Predictions:  94,655  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,030

01.28.2012 | 10:28 PM ET

Prediction: correct Evans   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

evans is the man

"i like mma and the tapology"

t0rch
t0rch
  • Predictions:  5,787  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,658
  • Post Score: 208

01.28.2012 | 10:29 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Davis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

I'll be the guy in Atlanta holding up a poster of this:

"I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

01.28.2012 | 10:33 PM ET

evans has got the best possible chance but his chances are slim.
kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

01.28.2012 | 10:35 PM ET

I agree with wolfman.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

01.28.2012 | 11:48 PM ET

I think Evans will beat Jones. Cardio wise Evans is pretty amazing. After he beat Davis he looked like if he had to he could go another 25 minutes! Jones his cardio isnt terrible but when you watch him fight you can tell he starts slowing down in the mid 3rd. I think for the first 15 minutes of the fight it will be VERY competitive but as soon as it hits the 4th its all Rashad.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

01.29.2012 | 12:50 AM ET

I hope so mike

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

01.29.2012 | 12:54 AM ET

the money came heavy on evans. i got him at -160 a week ago and at fight time a -220. 200 dinero. :- }

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 weigh-in video at 8 a.m. ET
  • UFC.com : Jack Shore: The Welsh 'Tank' Is Ready To Roll Again
  • UFC.com : Michel Pereira: Guaranteed Excitement
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 weigh-in results (8 a.m. ET)
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Geo Martinez And Nicolas Renier Face Each Other In The Preliminary Card
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • The Athletic : UFC 301 predictions, previews, odds: Alexandre Pantoja looks to defend title in front of home Brazilian crowd
  • Jits Magazine : Full Lineup Announced For Fury Pro Grappling 10
  • MMA Mania : ‘Don’t Come Near Me If I See You Ever Ryan Garcia’
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Oliveira Vs. Gamrot? Naaaaaah
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Odds: ‘Prelims’ Props And More!
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Fight of the Month for April: A thrilling battle for the BMF belt
  • MMA Junkie : Kevin Borjas: 'Alessandro Costa is now Mexican ... he'll be fighting as a visitor' at UFC 301 in Brazil
  • MMA Mania : Rematch! Prochazka ‘Most Likely’ Next For Pereira
  • MMA Junkie : Renato Moicano: 'I don't think it was very smart' for Alexandre Pantoja to fight Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Top prospect Losene Keita explains turning down multiple offers from UFC, PFL: ‘I know my worth’
  • MMA Mania : McGregor’s High-Profile Backup? On One Condition ...
  • Middle Easy : ‘Big’ John McCarthy Weighs In on Jimmy Smith’s Claim That Everyone ‘F*cking Hated’ Ronda Rousey
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Haney to take’: Hearn reacts to Garcia’s failed drug test
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Devin Haney to take’: Eddie Hearn reacts to Ryan Garcia’s failed drug test