Topic: Ellenberger vs. Rocha

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

bloopdoopfoopmoop
bloopdoopfoopmoop
  • Predictions:  758  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  112
  • Post Score: 55

01.04.2011 | 10:37 PM ET

Prediction: correct Ellenberger   correct Decision  

Rocha impressed me in his UFC debut, but not as much as Ellenberger has.

"Be strong / be wrong"

Responses Page 2

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

02.04.2011 | 11:43 AM ET

Prediction: correct Ellenberger   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

That may be true about Ellenberger being overrated. But Rocha has never faced anyone close to his level yet. 6 out of 9 of Rocha's wins are over fighters with losing records. His best win is probably Chris McCray who isn't anything special. Even Outside of McCray the fighters he beat with Winning records who are 1 win over .500. Ellenberger is experienced and tested and has faced and beat fighters at a level Rocha hasn't even come close to. Ellenberger may wind up as a stepping stone but this is a huge step for Rocha. As bad as you say Ellenberger is on the ground he's only been submitted once in 27 fights and that was by Delson Heleno. Ellenberger still has a lot to prove in the UFC but Rocha has a lot to prove in MMA. This is Rocha's chance to prove he will be a force in the UFC, but I'll wait until after this fight before I start picking him to beat more proven fighters. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

panbuffman
panbuffman
  • Predictions:  21  |  76.2%
  • Forum Posts:  17
  • Post Score: 12

02.04.2011 | 12:00 PM ET

Typical wrestler fighting a BJJ black belt for his debut.
jaydean
jaydean
  • Predictions:  151  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  24
  • Post Score: 29

02.04.2011 | 12:01 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rocha   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

I agree with everything you guys are saying. At first I didn't even hesitate to pick Ellenberger for the win. (and even in Rocha wins its gonna be a ****en battle, wont be easy to say the least.)

but the more i thought about this matchup the more I saw the upset possibility. Rocha has all the tools to win and I truly believe Ellenberger's lack of a ground game and way too much reliance on his natural athelticsm is gonna be his downfall.

and ellenberger has literally lost to all the legit fighters hes faced. Lost to Noble,Lost to Heiron, Lost to Condit, Lost to Story.

the hype hes getting for beating a Pyle who  had a broken rib , and beating John Howard in a competitive fight is seriously outrageous.

And honestly a fight between Ellenbeger and Kim would be awesome but Ellenberger doesnt deseve that fight at all.
He has a two fight win streak over Howard and Pyle... Kim has a 6 fight win streak right now.
jaydean
jaydean

02.04.2011 | 12:06 PM ET

Seriously how in hell does Ellenberger even deserve to fight Kim and even more absurd deserve to get a contender bout?

dude is so ridiculously overrated, I don't even know why.(he does have an explosive shot but other than that his game is very limited).
Reeves
Reeves
  • Predictions:  778  |  67.2%
  • Forum Posts:  225
  • Post Score: 139

02.04.2011 | 12:14 PM ET

I do not think Ellenberger is overrated, he beat the **** out of Carlos Condit in the first round of their fight which I personally thought should have ended up a draw scoring the first round 10-8 for Jake and then the last two 10-9 for Carlos Condit. You guys do realize that his only loss is against Condit via Split Decision in the UFC and is 6-1 in his last 7 because of it. I think if you guys see his fight against Condit you're opinions may change.
jaydean
jaydean

02.04.2011 | 12:47 PM ET

@Reeves

yeah he got Condit with some nice power punches. Doesn't say anything about his skills other than he has power and managed to hit Condit who is also very very hittable.

And after the first round on the ground he got dominated. Sweeped,mounted,GnP,guard passes.

I am ******* sick of people cititng losses to condit as proof how good they are. Its seriously stupid...Rory Mcdonald and ellenbger are both guys who are being hyped for losing to Condit.

If that was indicator of success Hiromitsu Miura should  be ****en champion by now.
Bigj383
Bigj383

02.04.2011 | 12:53 PM ET

I wouldn't say Ellenberger has lost to all the legit fighters he's faced. Howard, Pyle, Healy, even old Pele are definitely legit fighters and he beat them all. The fact he has beat very solid opponents and only lost to very solid opponents is a good sign Ellenberger is a very solid fighter. 

yankees1
yankees1
  • Predictions:  1,056  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  321
  • Post Score: 86

02.04.2011 | 3:06 PM ET

Ellenberger vs. Rocha

"Jones: I'm sure Shogun poops like I poop. "

Reeves
Reeves

02.04.2011 | 3:53 PM ET

@Jaydean

Thank you for the response and yes you do have a point there, Condit does seem to have trouble with fighters he is on another level than before beating them. I thought McDonald was being hyped before the fight though and was the favorite going into that fight? I could be wrong though. Maybe it is just Condit's style of fighting but I still personally think it is something to be impressed with on Ellenberger's part. It is more telling of Condit's heart and durability than Ellenberger's lack of talent. After all, he did do a lot better than Dan Hardy who was ranked top 10 but then again I felt he was fairly overrated.
Spartan Bannana
Spartan Bannana
  • Predictions:  986  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  19
  • Post Score: 26

02.04.2011 | 4:38 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rocha   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I think he'll get lit up in the first round but get a sub late in the second.
raray
raray
  • Predictions:  193  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  187
  • Post Score: 26

02.05.2011 | 6:38 AM ET

Ellenberger is a legit up-and-comer. Here's hoping his submission defense is up to par.

"Any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use."

Reeves
Reeves

02.05.2011 | 4:42 PM ET

Yeah I think it all depends on his sub defense here.
jaydean
jaydean

02.05.2011 | 6:56 PM ET

ROCHA GOT ROBBED

Reeves
Reeves

02.05.2011 | 6:58 PM ET

I disagree. I felt 29-28 Ellenberger was how it went personally.
Bigj383
Bigj383

02.05.2011 | 10:17 PM ET

Ellenberger definitely won the fight 29-28. Rocha did have a very impressive first round. Also Rocha's kimura sweep was sweet as hell. Give him time he will improve. This fight showed two things Rocha has a lot of potential, and Ellenberger still has a way to go before he's a contender. 

Reeves
Reeves

02.05.2011 | 11:59 PM ET

Yeah Bigj no doubt it showed a lot, Ellenberger was saying before the fight he could beat Fitch but I have a harder time believing that now. I was also really impressed with Rocha in the first round though and can't wait to see him fight again he has a promising future. I'm looking forward to see who they will have Jake fight as well. It's crazy the guy's only 25 and already has a record of 24-5. I was shocked to hear Jake didn't start wrestling until he was 21 when he walked on to UoN Omaha if what Rogan said was true, they are a great wrestling school in their own right even if they are just Division II.
jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

02.06.2011 | 6:42 AM ET

this was a fascinating fight to watch and score. while i had ellenberger winning 29-28 i felt he was outclassed most of the way. on the ground he simply couldn't hang with rocha, not just on the bottom in the first round, but also in the brief segments he was on top in rounds 1, 2 and 3.

ellenberger's strategy after getting owned in round one was to stay on the feet and then steal the round late with a takedown near the 4:30 or 4:40 mark. if you look at round 2, once he landed that late takedown, he was already in deep trouble in rocha's guard in just those 30 seconds. i don't know if that makes ellenberger weak for taking the fight down for a period just long enough for him to survive in the spot where he is outclassed, or brilliant for winning the fight literally the only way he could. personally, i was impressed ellenberger was able to assemble and adapt a gameplan on the fly, and it speaks to his superior experience over rocha.

rocha, for his part, is going to struggle in his standup for quite a while looking at his build - his shoulders are simply massive and not designed for boxing. on the ground, however, he is already near the top of the division.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.06.2011 | 6:45 AM ET

I absolutely had that fight 29 - 28 for Ellenberger and could not believe that one of the judges actually scored the fight 30 - 27 for Rocha.  Is this just a case of bad judging or the judge having a bad view of the fight?  Give these guys some damn monitors already.
Anyway that win for Ellenberger should earn him a number one contender's fight in my opinion.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

02.06.2011 | 7:49 AM ET

Prediction: correct Ellenberger   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

i think monitors are long overdue...mute them if u dont want the rogan biase.....but i REFUSE to believe this was a case of not being able to see....someone needs to sit down with that damn judge and make him explain after rounds 2 and 3 how he gave those to rocha.....that was atrocious

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.06.2011 | 7:58 AM ET

there are two ways you could score this for rocha:

a) you're not a very good judge and don't know what is happening

b) you're an excellent judge who is scoring things in a very progressive, uncommon way

for example, the takedown at the end of round 2: should this have stolen/sealed the round for ellenberger? he did no damage at all, and ended up in a defensive situation where he was in danger.  if you were judge B, you might say that this round-ending sequence should be scored in favor of rocha.

i do think you could lay out a case for rocha if you were judge B. but more likely we were dealing with judge A.

anybody feel me on this?

"I live, I die, I live again."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Alex Pereira Challenges Anthony Smith To $50,000 Grappling Match, Smith Accepts
  • Jits Magazine : UFC Veteran Raphael Assuncao Spits At 10th Planet Black Belt After Disqualification Win
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! O’Malley Wants Sleepy Time For Mac
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Sleep Sean O’Malley’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Mania : ‘My D—k Didn’t Get Hard!’ Brown Couldn’t ‘Get Fired Up’ About Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Snaps Back at ‘Sugar’d Up’ Conor McGregor Over Past PED Usage: ‘When Your Idols Turn to Rivals’
  • Middle Easy : Ian Garry Promises to ‘Slap the Mouth Off’ Colby Covingtong Within One Round: ‘Sign the F*cking Contract’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo opens as big underdog for potential Sean O’Malley title fight
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Roasted Over Fighter Pay, Slams ‘Liberal F*cks’ Netflix During the Streaming Giant’s Tom Brady Special
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Felt I Can’t Say No’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 medical suspensions: Four fighters receive 180 days but not Jack Shore for leg wound
  • MMAFighting.com : Heather Hardy reveals career likely over due to ‘too much brain damage’
  • MMA Junkie : Weekend boxing review: Canelo Alvarez gave vintage performance. Is David Benavidez next?
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier thinks Islam Makhachev is underestimating him ahead of UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall In The Dark While Jones ‘Is Playing Games Again’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 medical suspensions: 3 winners potentially out 6 months
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo vs. Sean O’Malley? ‘Very Possible Chance’ Outlandish Title Fight Happens, Says Outspoken UFC Star
  • MMA Junkie : Matt Brown explains how UFC 300 snub finalized retirement decision, says BKFC signing 'not out of the question'
  • MMA Mania : Covington Knows Garry Is A ‘Terrible Stylistic Matchup’