Topic: dos Anjos vs. Covington

dos Anjos vs. Covington

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,025
  • Post Score: 47

06.02.2018 | 4:00 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for dos Anjos vs. Covington. Let's see what you've got.

Responses

Seabeast06
Seabeast06
  • Predictions:  3,799  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  24
  • Post Score: 67

06.02.2018 | 4:00 PM ET

Prediction: wrong dos Anjos   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

RDA is gonna badly hurt and humiliate him. Beats him to a pulp standing, guillotine when Colby panic-shoots.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

06.02.2018 | 7:34 PM ET

Prediction: wrong dos Anjos   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if RDA goes out there and punches ten shades of **** out of covington. This will test how good Colby's wrestling really is. I don't think he has any chance of outstriking RDA. I'll know within the first 3 minutes how it is going to go; if Colby can't execute a top attack, he will be victim to a ****train with no brakes.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 2 days, 8 hours, and 57 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

06.02.2018 | 9:07 PM ET

Prediction: correct Covington   correct Decision  

I see this going something like Khabib vs Barboza. A savage striker vs a grappler who just doesn't give a damn. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours, and 12 minutes from now.
mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  934  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 137

06.02.2018 | 9:13 PM ET

Prediction: correct Covington   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Can Rda keep a larger grappler off of him for enough time to put together significant offense on the feet? I think that will tell where the fight is going. Rda can go 5 rounds, but he will have a heavier grappler hanging on him. There is a big gap between Rda's striking and where Colby is on the feet.

I think a great strategy would be for Rda to start shooting. He is an excellent grappler and can at least keep Colby guessing and going on the defensive. We see what Colby's game looks like when he a defense first grappler. It wasn't a K-1 display against Maia. I think if those same opportunities are there for Rda, he gets the finish. Plus I'm interested to see where Colby's conditioning is come 4 and 5 if it makes it there.

Saying all this, most likely Colby will somehow score an out of nowhere ko. That would probably be the best illustration for how unpredictable this sport is.

"Where are my shoes?"

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

06.02.2018 | 10:05 PM ET

Prediction: wrong dos Anjos   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

@Bruce I would be very surprised if it turned out like Khabib vs RDA....Khabib is huge and a different deal altogether from Covington, who has good but not amazing grappling and Takedowns. And you know, Khabib is a sambo guy...different approach. I think RDA may even be Covington's equal in wrestling, or at least the divide between their wrestling isn't as great as between their striking prowess.

The other thing to consider is that this will be a five rounder. I really, really don't see Covington being able to keep up with RDA for five. After watching RDA drop that insane 30-something chained combination on Lawler and still not gassing I don't think anyone in the division can outcardio him.

Covington will need to steal the first three or finish within three IMO.

* Edited at 06.02.2018, 10:10 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 2 days, 8 hours, and 57 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

06.03.2018 | 2:11 AM ET

I think the gap in wrestling is just as big and significant as the gap in striking. Brazilians can't wrestle. They don't care. I wasn't comparing the skill level of Khabib & Colby..rather the styles. The questions going into that fight were can Barboza land and will Khabib gas. I think the same applies here. If RDA can land those combos Colby will be finished. If Colby doesn't gas RDA will get smashed. That's my gut feeling anyway. Can't freaking wait to find out. Best fight on the card imo. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours, and 12 minutes from now.
Detroit Superstar
Detroit Superstar
  • Predictions:  11,385  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,331
  • Post Score: 161

06.03.2018 | 2:43 AM ET

Prediction: wrong dos Anjos   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

RDA all day folks. Covington is way over hyped after beating Maia. 
lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,926  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,375
  • Post Score: 39

06.03.2018 | 8:24 PM ET

Prediction: wrong dos Anjos   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

demian landed strikes on colby, dos anjos should feast there.
Shaolin86
Shaolin86
  • Predictions:  4,974  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,090
  • Post Score: 125

06.04.2018 | 7:36 AM ET

Prediction: wrong dos Anjos   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Interesting fight here. Covington has some of the best wrestling in the division and RDA has historically lost most of his fights in the UFC to better wrestlers. RDA's bottom game has never been anything special considering how advanced a black belt in BJJ he is, so if Covington can get enough top control early he may be able to wear RDA down. I'm still going with RDA though simply on being so well conditioned, and being the much more well rounded and experienced guy. I think RDA weathers any early storm and finishes Covington in the mid to late part of the fight.
PowerfulTW
PowerfulTW
  • Predictions:  572  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  24
  • Post Score: 17

06.04.2018 | 11:56 AM ET

Covington has been talking nonstop **** on everyone. I'm curious what he will say or say to Rogan if he wins. But I'll probably pick RDA to win this. Not even sure why Covington is fighting for the interim title... Although, he's training with some killers at a great gym.

* Edited at 06.04.2018, 11:57 AM ET *

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

06.04.2018 | 2:51 PM ET

That's literally the worst logic I've ever seen @IIdowntoearthII

Its 2018. How is this mindset still around. "dude got punched in the face during a fight..that's not good"  like really?! For real? Did you even watch that fight? Maia went full-Holloway on Colby. Just ignore every nuance and detail and go straight for the "a BJJ guy punched him" line. Yikes. Truly embarrassing. So lazy. 
AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

06.04.2018 | 3:34 PM ET

Prediction: wrong dos Anjos   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Covington was a pretty forgettable guy to me before he started actin' a fool all the time. He's just another generic wrestler type without much else going for him. I expect RDA to outclass him.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

06.04.2018 | 3:42 PM ET

That's Prize-Fighting AnAlias. People don't spend $60 on a PPV because you're a "well-respected, intelligent and genuine human-being" nah. They buy em to watch you lose. Been like that since Prize-Fighting started. Its math. 2+2 math. Do whatever it takes to get the most people possible to watch you fight, win or lose. Simple as that. Everything else is nonsense. 
AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

06.04.2018 | 3:51 PM ET

Prediction: wrong dos Anjos   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Yeah, but the real greats are actually clever and witty and can back up their talk in the cage. Covington is just an ass. He better beat RDA at this point, cause no one is going to give a **** about his middle-school bully level **** talk once he gets his ass beat. 
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

06.04.2018 | 3:56 PM ET

Yea well that's life. There's only so many greats. 7 Billion people on this planet and right now about 50 of em are clever & witty lmfao. If Colby loses it'll be his 2nd loss. He'll go back to destroying the Stun Guns, Maias of the division. If he wins, RDA cries on his knees in the locker room. 

Oh and they'll still care, if not more. If Colby loses people will be on every social-media platform ranting on about it...which means they care. 

* Edited at 06.04.2018, 3:58 PM ET *

ShakeANDBake720
ShakeANDBake720
  • Predictions:  10,102  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,838
  • Post Score: 235

06.04.2018 | 4:12 PM ET

Prediction: correct Covington   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

He's done nothing but back up his talk up to this point. People always downplay anyone's skills who they don't like. Happened not too long ago with Barboza vs Lee ,Lee made it look as easy as he said it would look and everyone was saying Barboza would destroy him. Outside of the wheel kick that was a flawless performance. Colby's fight with Stun Gun was very impressive who else had outgrappled him like Colby did. This fight will remind everyone that RDA is just a lightweight and not a real welterweight this is first wrestler at 170 and Colby will smother him and bully him for 5 rounds. I see no reason why he can't do what Khabib did to him especially with the size,strenght advantage.

Colby's wrestling pressure is no joke he did way more damage to Maia and 15 minutes than Woodley or Usman both could do in 25. Guarantee if that was a 5 rounder Maia wouldn't answer the bell to round 4. Its funny how everyone says Maia outstruck him in the first round when the fight was scored 30-26 unanimously. Colby beat the **** out of him. And from what Ive heard he was injured going into the Alves fight and only stayed in the fight because he was dead broke.

"Duck, I want to sleep with my wife tonight,"

ian729
ian729
  • Predictions:  24,135  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,235
  • Post Score: 259

06.04.2018 | 10:10 PM ET

Prediction: correct Covington   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

#NerdBash2018
Shaolin86
Shaolin86

06.05.2018 | 3:00 AM ET

I think a lot of people overrate Maia's success in striking against Colby. The main reason Maia can get away with landing at times on much better strikers is because they're trying to avoid the ground at all costs. They all know his end game is to get it to the ground at any cost. Even his open guard and butterfly is dangerous because he's such an active guy at getting underhooks and sweeping. That opens up much more opportunity on the feet as they lower their hands to sprawl and get underhooks to defend the shot. 

A guy like RDA isn't the same kind of threat because despite being a high level BJJ black belt he hasn't shown to be all that active offensively off his back with submission attempts and sweeps. Better wrestlers have had success there in the past, so the issue of avoiding strikes to shoot in for a takedown is now an option for Colby, it opens up confidence in his own stand up too. I think one thing to watch out for is RDA's guillotine threat off the takedown. He came pretty close to catching Khabib a couple times in a tight choke when he got the takedown, and Colby has been caught with that before.

* Edited at 06.05.2018, 3:19 AM ET *

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,980  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

06.05.2018 | 3:18 AM ET

I disagree. Colby got busted open and was getting tagged by Maia in round 1. Maia was never a significant takedown threat to Colby either. Think Maia just gassed out from trying to actually strike. Colby's striking doesn't impress me.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Shaolin86
Shaolin86

06.05.2018 | 3:35 AM ET

His striking doesn't impress me either, just making a point that there are more factors at play many people seem to choose to ignore when comparing their striking. Maia is a takedown threat to anyone he can get close enough to get his hands locked around. As we've seen he can lock his hands around a single leg and just sit on his ass and sweep you from there. He doesn't have to put you down with a blast double. Colby can inversely use the threat of his hands to land against guys worried about being taken down and controlled. That's the beauty of MMA. Not all areas have to be equal for one fighter's style to adversely affect the outcome because of a perceived threat. That's why feinting is so important and fighter's like GSP dominate for so long.

* Edited at 06.05.2018, 3:37 AM ET *

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Declan Moody vs Anton Minenko
  • UFC.com : UFC 5 Brings Gamers Closer To The Action Than Ever
  • MMA Junkie : NAC withholds earnings from two UFC 300 winners; hearings scheduled
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Turned Down a Clash with Ketlen Vieira at UFC 303: ‘Stop Running and Sign the Contract’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results: Two fighters heavy – including 2.5-pound miss
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream
  • Middle Easy : Ali Abdelaziz Reveals ‘Crazy’ Story Behind Getting Justin Gaethje an Extra 150k for Fighting Tony Ferguson
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 video: Matheus Nicolau, Alex Perez make weight in Las Vegas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Vieira claims she was offered Kayla Harrison for UFC 303: 'She has to stop running'
  • UFC.com : Karine Silva Is All-Business, All-Action
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau vs. Alex Perez prediction, pick: Which flyweight stays in contention at UFC on ESPN 55?
  • UFC.com : Jonathan Pearce: Knocking On The Door
  • MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo ready to trade leg kicks with Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301: 'I'm a specalist at what I do'