Topic: Gray Maynard

Gray Maynard Impresses on ESPN's Sports Science

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

10.04.2011 | 9:14 PM ET

Thought you guys would like watching this video. 

So far GSP and Velasquez have gotten the best numbers on the program to my knowledge, with GSP even beating out the HW champ, but I like the different measurements they took for Maynard. His grip power is particularly impressive.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Gray "The Bully" Maynard

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Bradley Gray Maynard
  • Pro MMA Record: 13-7-1, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Bully
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: October 06, 2018 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 156.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Power MMA
  • Height: 5'8" (173cm) | Reach: 70.0" (178cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $813,000 USD
  • Born: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
  • Fighting out of: Santa Cruz, California
  • College: Michigan State University
  • Foundation Style: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Crumx7
Crumx7
  • Predictions:  1,598  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,110
  • Post Score: 181

10.04.2011 | 11:42 PM ET

I am not impressed by your performance

"If you think about it, life is your one big chance" Follow @CRUMxMMA on Twitter

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

10.05.2011 | 4:04 AM ET

1400lbs of force for a lightweight is amazing and GSP punching 2860lbs is just incredible, not to mention 3500lbs for his kick, 800 more than Shogun who is 2 weight classes above.

* Edited at 10.05.2011, 4:05 AM ET *

"I Get Better."

skelliher
skelliher

10.05.2011 | 7:54 AM ET

GSP definitely set the bar high with his Sport Science numbers. The only one who was nearly as impressive was Cain Velasquez.

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

10.05.2011 | 8:05 AM ET

The secret to his strength

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Spaceman Spiff
Spaceman Spiff
  • Predictions:  371  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  108
  • Post Score: 175

10.05.2011 | 8:57 AM ET

You guys do realize that most of the numbers are ********... right? Mike Tyson was measured as having 1800 pounds of force in his punch, it is impossible for GSP, or anyone in MMA to have beaten that. I know the show is fun to watch, but it's not scientifically credible.

"Be like water - Bruce Lee"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

10.05.2011 | 9:02 AM ET

@spaceman spiff .. Yeh I know as if Maynard and GSP's kicks are harder than Shogun's. Thats stupid.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

skelliher
skelliher

10.05.2011 | 9:12 AM ET

Nobody said anything about Maynard's kicks. It wasn't measured. It's not surprising to me that GSP has a harder punch than Tyson based on the type of punch he threw, which was a traditional Karate reverse punch. Boxing punches use squared stances, which allow for increased speed. GSP utilizes a more spaced-out stance. I'm not saying the data is rock-solid, but to say it's ******** is a bit ignorant. You also have no scientific data to back up the "fact" that nobody in MMA could punch as hard as Tyson besides your own preconceived notions.

I also don't understand why it's hard to believe GSP kicks harder than Shogun. Force is a measure of mass x acceleration. Shogun has more mass than GSP, but GSP obviously has much more acceleration.

Spaceman Spiff
Spaceman Spiff

10.05.2011 | 9:27 AM ET

Wait... you really think GSP could punch harder then Tyson?  You can compare stances all you want, but Mike Tyson punched faster, and put more weight behind his punches then GSP.  I don't care what type of punch GSP was throwing, Tyson's hooks and uppercuts were way more powerful.   And as for the data. the numbers that have come off the show have been all over the place, and putting too much faith in them is unintelligent.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232

10.05.2011 | 9:28 AM ET

If I had to take one punch in the face I would much rather have GSP throwing the punch then Mike Tyson

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

10.05.2011 | 9:36 AM ET

While i find your argument somewhat competitive @Spaceman, i think the true variable is technology. If today's technology is not 100 times more accurate than it was when Tyson tested his punching power i'd quit watching MMA altogether. I prefer to look at it like this: If Tyson and GSP were tested in their primes with the same technology, then we'd have a true answer, which would probably say Tyson wins. Obviously that will never happen, so arguing the fact seems somewhat pointless to me. The leg kick comparison between GSP, Shogun, and Cain all within 9 months of each other is quite relevant tho and speaks volumes to GSP's power. It doesn't mean he's throwing kicks or punches that hard in a fight though.
buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.05.2011 | 9:44 AM ET

"If I had to take one punch in the face I would much rather have GSP throwing the punch then Mike Tyson"

So you would rather have Mike Tyson punch you after GSP already punched you? That sounds like a bad day.

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Spaceman Spiff
Spaceman Spiff

10.05.2011 | 9:50 AM ET

You're probably right that the technology has advanced and is therefore giving a different, more accurate reading then when Tyson was tested. But it still seems to me that there is a pretty big discrepancy in the readings that are given. Anyone remember the episode with Tito, Randy, and Bas a few years ago? Randy scored 400 pounds of pressure on a punch standing, and 2400 with a punch on the ground. Tito scored 600 pounds of pressure on an elbow.  Do you guys really think that Gray Maynard really punches that much harder then Randy or Tito?

My point is that it seems to give inconsistent ratings, so we should take the numbers with a grain of salt.  I mean isn't this the show that said Jones' elbows go faster then a helicopter blade?

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

10.05.2011 | 10:41 AM ET

It depends on how you punch the bag, GSP flicked his hips and put everthing into it, Cain stayed planted and threw a hook, no boxers get close to the MMA guys, the MMA training is properly beasting these guys up. 21st century tech isn't going to be bogus. Randy and Tito aren't exactly power punchers either. I don't seethe point of the tech or the show if it doesn't work.

"I Get Better."

BlackSwan
BlackSwan
  • Predictions:  6,255  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  165
  • Post Score: 105

10.05.2011 | 10:42 AM ET

Some of the numbers on this show are way off. Highly entertaining, but zero credibility.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Alex Pereira Challenges Anthony Smith To $50,000 Grappling Match, Smith Accepts
  • Jits Magazine : UFC Veteran Raphael Assuncao Spits At 10th Planet Black Belt After Disqualification Win
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! O’Malley Wants Sleepy Time For Mac
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Sleep Sean O’Malley’
  • MMA Mania : ‘My D—k Didn’t Get Hard!’ Brown Couldn’t ‘Get Fired Up’ About Fight Offer
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Snaps Back at ‘Sugar’d Up’ Conor McGregor Over Past PED Usage: ‘When Your Idols Turn to Rivals’
  • Middle Easy : Ian Garry Promises to ‘Slap the Mouth Off’ Colby Covingtong Within One Round: ‘Sign the F*cking Contract’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo opens as big underdog for potential Sean O’Malley title fight
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Roasted Over Fighter Pay, Slams ‘Liberal F*cks’ Netflix During the Streaming Giant’s Tom Brady Special
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Felt I Can’t Say No’
  • MMAFighting.com : Heather Hardy reveals career likely over due to ‘too much brain damage’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 medical suspensions: Four fighters receive 180 days but not Jack Shore for leg wound
  • MMA Junkie : Weekend boxing review: Canelo Alvarez gave vintage performance. Is David Benavidez next?
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier thinks Islam Makhachev is underestimating him ahead of UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall In The Dark While Jones ‘Is Playing Games Again’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 medical suspensions: 3 winners potentially out 6 months
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo vs. Sean O’Malley? ‘Very Possible Chance’ Outlandish Title Fight Happens, Says Outspoken UFC Star
  • MMA Junkie : Matt Brown explains how UFC 300 snub finalized retirement decision, says BKFC signing 'not out of the question'
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean O’Malley responds to Conor McGregor diss, now wants Michael Chandler to ‘sleep’ him