Topic: Penn vs. Diaz

Penn vs. Diaz

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,593  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,536
  • Post Score: 60

09.09.2011 | 1:32 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Penn   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Penn vs. Diaz. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 7

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.10.2011 | 10:31 PM ET

Prediction: correct Diaz   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@xbass. have you met him?  i have.  his on air tv  talk and antics are his schtick. he is very nice and quiet with the general public when no "media" cameras are around. signs autographs too.
askewlipped
askewlipped
  • Predictions:  2,857  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 217

10.10.2011 | 10:39 PM ET

This fight seems to be a lot more competitive than the original line up. I'm almost glad things turned out the way they did as GSP vs Condit and Diaz vs Penn seems to be much less predictable than before. With that said, I'm pulling for BJ on this one!

"We are all one. -Genki Sudo"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.10.2011 | 11:28 PM ET

actually haven just jinxed penn. diaz wins for sure! thanks haven. your a ufc pickers best friend. :- }
minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

10.10.2011 | 11:46 PM ET

What I like about this fight is it will probably be awesome on the feet, or the ground. I have no idea what BJ's gameplan will be, but I think he can win this fight on the feet, or take him down and beat him there. I don't know which one he'll do. Hopefully he'll take the relatively safer road, take it to the ground and give us a grappling epic.

"We Are All One"

bloopdoopfoopmoop
bloopdoopfoopmoop
  • Predictions:  758  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  112
  • Post Score: 55

10.11.2011 | 3:32 AM ET

Prediction: correct Diaz   correct Decision  

I have no idea what is going to happen. This is a much more interesting fight than GSP-Diaz would have been.

"Be strong / be wrong"

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

10.11.2011 | 10:55 PM ET

P4P Champ
P4P Champ
  • Predictions:  13  |  84.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 225

10.12.2011 | 2:27 AM ET

50/50

I don't know what's gonna happen here but I'm more excited for this than the main event.
kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

10.12.2011 | 2:30 AM ET

@p4p champ, I agree

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

10.13.2011 | 3:56 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Penn   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Nick will choose to stand and bang with BJ. Wrong decision. BJ has more power and will knock him out. Nick is too stubborn and emotional to use a deeper, Frankie Edgar game-plan.

Nick has the tools to win, but he lacks the deeper, strategic vision.  Frankie Edgar showed the world how to defeat BJ, but alas, Nick is too proud to adopt that sensible game-plan.  Nick will stay in the pocket, and stand and bang with BJ.  BJ has the heavier hands.  He will win by KO.   

If Nick were a Randy Couture or Greg Jackson in his pre-fight game-plan analysis, he would realize that his main asset is his deeper gas-tank and BJ's main weakness is his small gas-tank.  Nick SHOULD steal a page from Frankie's playbook.  

Nick should stay on his bicycle, circle away from BJ's right hand, bob and weave, stick and jab, hit and run.  Run the traditional remedy that fighters have always used to defeat a more-powerful puncher.  How Sugar Ray Leonard defeated Marvin Hagler, how Gene Tunney beat Jack Dempsey twice, how Muhammad Ali beat George Foreman. 

Stay away and run guerrilla warfare.  Nick's best offensive tool is his Gracie ground submission game, but in this case, Penn has mastered that skill even better than Diaz.  So that won't work in this particular case.  And BJ also has the better striking.  So, Diaz will be reduced to using his speed, agility, mobility and endurance.  Take Penn into the late rounds, wear him down.  Circle away, dance, jump in and flurry and jump back out before sustaining damage.  Avoid clinching up.  

But I fear that Nick Diaz will not have any of that.  He will stay in the pocket and try to brawl.  Worst possible strategy.  It will be like Sanchez/Penn.  And I find that sad.  It could be like Edgar/Penn.  

It would be better for the sport if Nick Diaz beats BJ Penn.  For Diaz to advance to a title shot, which he will be pre-ordained to lose.  But everyone wants to see Nick get it on with GSP and finally get his big payday and trade in his Honda.  But alas, it takes a disciplined fighter to reap the rewards, and Nick is the furthest thing from that.  Too bad.  I'd have loved to see Nick get his title shot.  

* Edited at 10.13.2011, 4:14 AM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.13.2011 | 8:14 AM ET

penn will no way knock out diaz. i'll take the volume of punches of diaz over penns striking. i guarantee daley hits harder than penn and we saw how that went. penn" might" drop diaz once during the fight but he will get up and hit penn with combos to the body and face and penn will wilt under the pressure and be tko'd in mid second round. btw, diaz is a brawler. he does not jump in and out. he just stays in your face.

* Edited at 10.13.2011, 8:16 AM ET *

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

10.13.2011 | 9:26 AM ET

Prediction: correct Diaz   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.13.2011 | 9:58 AM ET

I have always wondered what would happen if Nick did the whole "don't be scarred homie" hand down, chin up routine on a superior striker. This fight is going to be so sweet.

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

rdmcurator
rdmcurator
  • Predictions:  567  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: 44

10.13.2011 | 11:01 AM ET

I'm not sure who I can't stand more in this fight, but I suppose the 'double ko fatality' option isn't out there for a reason.

"Why didn't I know about this in '95?"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

10.15.2011 | 3:00 AM ET

Two of my favorite fighters going toe-to-toe. I'm really not sure who to pick on this one. I really like both fighters' striking and submission skills. Diaz has the reach advantage, and I think that Penn has the power advantage. This fight can end by anybody, anywhere, at anytime.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.15.2011 | 8:26 AM ET

i asked the "wizard of odds" for this one. he said it was diaz who gets to follow the yellow brick road.

* Edited at 10.15.2011, 8:27 AM ET *

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

10.15.2011 | 10:37 AM ET

@Wolf, well I'm sure his imagination can run as wild as he wants when he's unconcious.

But in the real world BJ will be celebrating his 2nd round KO.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.15.2011 | 10:45 AM ET

two things already against penn. haven has picked penn to win. that is the kiss of death right there and b.j has said he is "really "taking his training seriously. last time he said that edgar whipped his butt. i am supremely confident.

* Edited at 10.15.2011, 10:46 AM ET *

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx

10.15.2011 | 10:50 AM ET

Confident does not mean correct.

You are so unassure of Diaz that you look for tiny omens that will lead to his victory.

That's pathetic! ;)

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.15.2011 | 10:58 AM ET

we will see who has bragging rights the late night of october 29th. i'll be making a whole thread about it. plus an appreciation(Nick Diaz) thread that i will welcome you with open arms. b.j. penn has my sympathies.
xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx

10.15.2011 | 11:01 AM ET

Why appreciate somebody who appreciates nobody else?

He deserves no respect, and he certainly won't earn any by getting destroyed be Penn.

But hey, maybe after BJ gets done with him, I can watch Jon Fitch grind him for 3 rounds straight, I'd probably get a boner.

Page 7

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : 2024 MMA retirement tracker: A list of those who hung up the gloves
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Are you kidding me?’: Kendra McIntyre uncorks ferocious head kick knockout at LFA 182
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Says Ilia Topuria Trash Talks Like An ‘Angry Girlfriend’, Talks Ryan Garcia Betting On Himself
  • MMAFighting.com : Ben Rothwell explains why he spars ‘religiously’ but doesn’t go full Sean Strickland with teammates
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 predictions: Matheus Nicolau or Alex Perez in Las Vegas?
  • UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Junkie : Tim Means vs. Uros Medic prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Matheus Nicolau willing to cut weight twice in one week for UFC 301 backup spot
  • Middle Easy : Tito Ortiz ‘Incredibly Honored’ To Be Sworn In As Honorary Sheriff In Florida
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Start Time, Full Fight Details!
  • MMA Junkie : Jonathan Pearce vs. David Onama prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Junkie : Jhonata Diniz vs. Austen Lane prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry appreciates he’s the A-side now in all his fights, but still wants biggest names possible
  • MMA Mania : KnuckleMania 4 Start Time, Fight Card Details
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva vs. Ariane da Silva prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann vs. Bogdan Guskov prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Is This The Most Violent KO In WMMA History?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 predictions