Tapology Forums

Fighters that claim injury as soon as they win the belt...what do you think?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

pkclarke25
pkclarke25
  • Predictions:  732  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  34
  • Post Score: 65

08.31.2011 | 6:13 PM ET

had to start this thread because it bothers me...almost every time a number one contender earns the belt they claim they are injured right after the fight...so they can hold onto the belt for as long as possible..are they really hurt what do you think ....valasquez ! they need to make that guy fight hes been out for two long gsp and silva have fought twice since hes been out...please post what you think also other fighter who have done this....I dont see what cain could have done to injure himself against brock...Rua too the first fight against lyoto he wanted a rematch the next one he was injured.. 

"I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. "

Responses

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

08.31.2011 | 6:19 PM ET

i don't think they fake injuries....thats just dumb...they get hurt because they are fighting the best in the company, and with the amount of training that goes in to camps, injuries happens ALL THE TIME...you only notice the champs...in the last 24 hours (maybe a little longer), we've learned that pascal krauss, mackens sermerzier, demarques johnson, and sam stout are all out...injuries are ALWAYS happening, the champs arent faking

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

08.31.2011 | 6:27 PM ET

There should be an interim belt in the hw division. All the hw's have had to wait way too long because Cain is injured. I do believe it's legit but still. Over a year is a long time. JDS is the best hw in the world anyway and he'll prove it in November. The Jones/Evans thing seemed a little fishy to me but I doubt they fake injuries. Dana commented at the UFC 135 press conference that it's impossible for a fighter to fake an injury cuz the UFC sends them to a doctor of the UFC's picking to confirm the injury. He says it just doesn't happen.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

08.31.2011 | 6:35 PM ET

You gotta figure that a lot of these guys are walking a fine line between just right and over-training.  Most of them probably are over-training.  So when they step in the cage against the best the sport has to offer, and put it all on the line and fight a hard fought battle, they're more than likely going to walk away with more than just the belt.  It doesn't surprise me that a lot of these guys suffer debilitating injuries that keep them out for extended periods, especially when they're fighting title bouts. 

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

TJ Combo
TJ Combo
  • Predictions:  2,896  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  310
  • Post Score: 130

08.31.2011 | 6:39 PM ET

you cant just blame cain for the delay in the hw division. brock and carwin both had issues too, which slowed down the title picture.

* Edited at 08.31.2011, 6:40 PM ET *

"Life is simple, perish or you own it. Bury your opponent, and cherish every moment. -Madchild"

haugemachine25
haugemachine25
  • Predictions:  940  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  380
  • Post Score: 233

08.31.2011 | 6:44 PM ET

Yeah, i doubt anyone fakes an injury.
especially if the UFC sends out a doctor to check,
that basically guarantees you theres no fakers, and i couldnt see half the fighters out there wanting to fake an injury anyway

"None of you are safe ."

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

08.31.2011 | 6:46 PM ET

lets take a stroll to mike swicks house and see if he's faking...

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

08.31.2011 | 6:53 PM ET

they way I see it if you are champ and are gonna be out for a year the ufc should make an interum belt and when the champ comes back he fights the interum champ, I really dont think fighters fake injuries, and its really kinda hard to fake a surgery

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

08.31.2011 | 6:54 PM ET

Makes sense to me, skeet.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

MegaDave
MegaDave
  • Predictions:  8,095  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,656
  • Post Score: 191

08.31.2011 | 7:11 PM ET

I highly doubt they fake the injuries...it makes very little sense

"I'm sorry that the brilliance of my words goes over your heads. I'm not going to stop being an eagle just because I am surrounded by turkeys-CS"

tlocke17
tlocke17
  • Predictions:  198  |  54.0%
  • Forum Posts:  122
  • Post Score: 118

08.31.2011 | 9:53 PM ET

mma is a tough sport, can easily imagine guys getting hurt in training constantly. I don't really believe in this fantasy conspiracy theory your coming up with lol

"“Look sir I really dont want anything of this, and I go ‘woosh’ like dis and I slit you throat and its over and out..” – Bas Rutten"

POPMYTRUNK
POPMYTRUNK
  • Predictions:  666  |  68.5%
  • Forum Posts:  125
  • Post Score: 171

08.31.2011 | 10:09 PM ET

Why the hell would they fake an injury? they would lose potential money

"pop my trunk and everybody gets to running"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

08.31.2011 | 10:16 PM ET

The only times I think an interim belt is appropriate is when the champion's return is unknown or in doubt.  With Brock Lesnar, his illness was career-threatening and they had no idea if he'd be able to fight again.  Having an interim champ made sense.  You don't want to wait 9 months only to find out Lesnar is permanently gone.

But with Velasquez, everyone knew the extent of the shoulder injury and his timetable for return.  Why have an interim champ if everyone knows he's NOT the champion and will be fighting the REAL champion a few months later?

"I live, I die, I live again."

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

09.01.2011 | 12:43 AM ET

It's very understandable to believe that guys are fabricating injuries when they win titles due to the fact that it happens often. I used to think the same thing myself.
But then you realize that this guy has probably been overtraining, hiding injuries, mentally exhausted and completely stressed out for 2 years or more trying to get that shot.
I don't think they're fabricating injuries, but they finally have some breathing room to get themselves right and healthy and they should capitalize on it.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

pkclarke25
pkclarke25

09.01.2011 | 7:36 PM ET

I dont doubt there injuries are legit but how serious are they? I know if I was in the ufc and won the belt i would try to hold on to it for as long as I could...as soon as you get the belt  your  a rock star,,,I think there is  a big jump from number one contender status to champion...i would hold out as long as i could...im sure almost every fighter has at least a minor to major knee injury at all times ...i just think over a year out you should have to vacate your belt or fight....but then again I do not know what goes on behind closed doors in the ufc ..yea you do have to be cleared by medical but from what i understand with some fighters it doesnt get to that point...i have heard of fighters managers calling ufc or dana and saying hey my fighters injured he cant fight for 16 weeks...

"I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. "

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

09.01.2011 | 7:44 PM ET

You don't make money sitting on the couch with the belt around your waste. Besides title reigns are really measured in defenses not years. I don't say Anderson has been champion for 5 years, I say he's defended his title 9 times. I also don't think the title should be vacated unless you are out for at least 18 months or there is question if you will return at all. Most champions will defend their title at least twice a year. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

pkclarke25
pkclarke25

09.02.2011 | 3:01 PM ET

I totally agree @big

pkclarke25
pkclarke25

09.02.2011 | 3:10 PM ET

what about endorsement deals....movies...commercials...appearances...training...clothing...i would think some of them get paid pretty well out of the ring

HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

09.02.2011 | 3:13 PM ET

I understand that injuries happen and people just aren't healthy enough to fight.  Personally, I would prefer a fighter take the extra time off, get healthy and then fight.  Nothing pisses me off more than a fighter who gets in the cage with a broken hand, broken ribs or whatever and then gets destroyed.  It sets up too much of, "did he really get beat or was it due to injuries?" 

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

09.02.2011 | 3:17 PM ET

@pk:  I think that has more to do with how big of a "fan favorite" someone is than whether or not they're champion.  Some of my favorite fighters have never been champion. Forest Griffin's books would have sold whether he was champion or not.  Rampage would have been a movie star whether he held a belt or not.  It all depends on the person.  There have been champions that I could care less about one way or another.

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

DV8ed Septum
DV8ed Septum
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  559
  • Post Score: 142

09.02.2011 | 3:19 PM ET

IF they ARE faking, its because they're being told to do so. One things certain: Cain didn't complain at all post fight about a hurt shoulder nor wince nor grimmace. A torn rotator cuff is incredibly painful and debilitating so if he really did hurt it it wasn't during the actual fight as claimed. I tore mine when i was 22, worst pain i've ever felt and my arm was out of commission immediately so thats my 2cents.

"Grrr."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 4
  • Bad Left Hook : Tellez vs Jackson: Live discussion, 8 pm ET
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Is Just Getting Started Following His Epic BMF Title Win at UFC 300: ‘I’m a Young Man’
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Islam Makhachev of 'sniper' Leon Edwards: 'Be careful what you wish for'
  • MMA Mania : Officer ‘Bad Boy’ Reporting For Duty!
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Does the UFC hosting more events on the road mean APEX cards will soon end?
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 ceremonial weigh-in faceoff highlights video, photo gallery
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Declan Moody vs Anton Minenko
  • MMA Mania : Face Off! Nicolau Stares Down Perez At APEX!
  • UFC.com : UFC 5 Brings Gamers Closer To The Action Than Ever
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in results: 2 fighters miss weight
  • MMA Junkie : NAC withholds earnings from two UFC 300 winners; hearings scheduled
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Turned Down a Clash with Ketlen Vieira at UFC 303: ‘Stop Running and Sign the Contract’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results: Two fighters heavy – including 2.5-pound miss
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream
  • Middle Easy : Ali Abdelaziz Reveals ‘Crazy’ Story Behind Getting Justin Gaethje an Extra 150k for Fighting Tony Ferguson
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 video: Matheus Nicolau, Alex Perez make weight in Las Vegas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Vieira claims she was offered Kayla Harrison for UFC 303: 'She has to stop running'
  • UFC.com : Karine Silva Is All-Business, All-Action