Topic: Gray Maynard

"Jiu-Jitsu Off Your Back Is Becoming Obsolete".

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

08.24.2011 | 7:03 PM ET

Quote:
"Guys just know how to defend submissions. Everyone knows how to defend a triangle, the good fighters do anyway. You aren't going to tap Georges St. Pierre off your back."

Just a quote from Gray Maynard in Fight Magazine. No source but you can which includes a decent interview with him, and funny stories with him and Rashad.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Gray "The Bully" Maynard

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Bradley Gray Maynard
  • Pro MMA Record: 13-7-1, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Bully
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: October 06, 2018 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 156.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Power MMA
  • Height: 5'8" (173cm) | Reach: 70.0" (178cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $813,000 USD
  • Born: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
  • Fighting out of: Santa Cruz, California
  • College: Michigan State University
  • Foundation Style: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,901  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

08.24.2011 | 7:05 PM ET

Gray Maynard is closed minded.  All styles are evolving.  No technique will ever die.  It's just a matter of time before someone finds a new way.
ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

08.24.2011 | 7:08 PM ET

I highly dislike Maynard. I hope Frankie triangles him to sleep when they fight, that'd be hilarious. It won't happen, but whatever

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

08.24.2011 | 7:39 PM ET

I disagree, but I understand what he's saying. Every top level fighter is training in BJJ, so they are learning how to defend submissions. I wouldn't say it's obsolete, because there are some very high level BJJ guys out there who can sub even the best fighters at any time. The bigger and more widespread BJJ becomes, the less triangles and armbars we'll see from the bottom.

Just so everyone knows, I am not agreeing with what Gray is saying, just that I understand what he's getting at. 

"Frig off, bud"

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,150  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

08.24.2011 | 7:50 PM ET

A guy like Pettis or Oliveira could sub Gray off their back.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

08.24.2011 | 8:52 PM ET

Maynard likes to make very blunt statements that are never really true. Jiu-jitsu hasn't changed and although wrestlers evolved and got better they are winning because of the rules in the US, not because JJ doesn't work anymore. Giving wrestlers 3x5 minute rounds is like giving them a weapon. Giving them a cage is like giving them ammo. Guys like Oliveira and Pettis (like Swickotine mentioned) are still using JJ off their backs very effectively. 

I think it's silly that Gray would say this. He has to know his style of fighting (stand for 4 minutes, then shoot, as he did against Florian) is built specifically so he doesn't get submitted off his back.

I can guarantee both Oliveira and Pettis would school Maynard on the ground, whether the judges agree or not. Needless to say I strongly disagree with Maynard. 

"We Are All One"

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

08.24.2011 | 9:20 PM ET

Maynard clearly doesn't know Jiu-Jitsu.  It's not about just a triangle by itself.  BJJ is human chess, so you see a lot of high level guys winning with basic submissions, because they set their opponent up.  If you take a truly talented high level Jiu-Jitsu guy, he could most definitely tap GSP, Maynard, or any other talented wrestler in MMA today. 

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

08.24.2011 | 9:25 PM ET

I think it all depends on who the bjj and wrestler but Sonnen is one of the top wrestlers and he still gets subbed by guys on thier back

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

08.24.2011 | 9:59 PM ET

The guard has its place, but for the vast majority of MMA fighters, it's always better to be on top (assuming the back is not an option) when it hits the ground.

"If you take a truly talented high level Jiu-Jitsu guy, he could most definitely tap GSP . . . or any other talented wrestler in MMA today." 

How did Shields and Penn do with that?

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown shed a tear after telling UFC he was retiring: ‘A piece of you dies’
  • MMA Mania : Volk: BMF Belt Makes Another ‘Blessed’ Fight ‘Worth Getting Out Of Bed For’
  • MMA Junkie : Grant Dawson draws rebound inspiration from teammate Dustin Poirier ahead of UFC 302
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Why would he be scared of Benavidez?’: Lampley says Canelo not afraid of a challenge
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Why would he be scared of David Benavidez?’: Jim Lampley says Canelo not afraid of a challenge
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Daniel Cormier loves Jon Jones’ ‘smart’ call for Alex Pereira: ‘It’s much less risky’ than Tom Aspinall
  • MMA Mania : Saint Denis Vs. Tsarukyan ‘Would Be Perfect’
  • Jits Magazine : Alex Pereira Challenges Anthony Smith To $50,000 Grappling Match, Smith Accepts
  • Jits Magazine : UFC Veteran Raphael Assuncao Spits At 10th Planet Black Belt After Disqualification Win
  • Jits Magazine : Big Names Hit The Mats At IBJJF Atlanta Spring Open 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! O’Malley Wants Sleepy Time For Mac
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Sleep Sean O’Malley’
  • MMA Mania : ‘My D—k Didn’t Get Hard!’ Brown Couldn’t ‘Get Fired Up’ About Fight Offer
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Snaps Back at ‘Sugar’d Up’ Conor McGregor Over Past PED Usage: ‘When Your Idols Turn to Rivals’
  • Middle Easy : Ian Garry Promises to ‘Slap the Mouth Off’ Colby Covingtong Within One Round: ‘Sign the F*cking Contract’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo opens as big underdog for potential Sean O’Malley title fight
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Roasted Over Fighter Pay, Slams ‘Liberal F*cks’ Netflix During the Streaming Giant’s Tom Brady Special
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Felt I Can’t Say No’
  • MMAFighting.com : Heather Hardy reveals career likely over due to ‘too much brain damage’