Topic: Other Combat Sports

Mayweather vs. McGregor

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

WorstPredictionMan
WorstPredictionMan
  • Predictions:  1,156  |  35.6%
  • Forum Posts:  343
  • Post Score: 675

05.06.2016 | 11:08 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Mayweather vs. McGregor. Let's see what you've got.

"There goes WorstPredictionMan, the greatest predictor who ever lived."

Responses Page 9

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

08.27.2017 | 1:51 AM ET

Scorecard is on mmajunkie

* Edited at 08.27.2017, 1:56 AM ET *

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,337  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

08.27.2017 | 3:41 AM ET

I gave Conor three rounds. He looked decent enough early. But it was also pretty clear that he was playing right into Floyd's gameplan. It was still a valiant effort nonetheless. Tons of respect, but he had no answer down the stretch. Solid sendoff for Floyd and this does nothing but make Conor's stock go up. 

Glad this is all done and over with.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

08.27.2017 | 1:38 PM ET

Conor did awesome the first few rounds but at the same time Floyd carried him a bit imo and ultimately finished him as I was vocal about him doing.I wonder what the fight would look like if Floyd had to play a game where he couldn't lose a round.I also wonder if Floyd threw the first few rounds to make it more of a show or simply to get Conor tired like he's known to do.It's weird though someone can be so confident to throw the first few rounds with a 49-0 record on the line but I have seen it his whole career.I don't think I have missed a Mayweather fight as it happened since maybe '99 or '00.

I get more excited for big boxing matches than I do for mma and I been an mma fan since UFC but I had a hard time getting excited for this and ended up more entertaining than I thought but I did end up having a party I didn't expect so that helped I think lol.Kudos to both of them  for making this happen as ridiculous as it was.

* Edited at 08.27.2017, 1:43 PM ET *

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

08.27.2017 | 1:45 PM ET

This fight turned out to be a win-win situation for everyone. Floyd got his stoppage and 50th, Conor didn't look out of place and got a ton more eyes on his next MMA fight, they both made a ****load of money, boxing won the boxing match, MMA didn't look bad.

Now we can go back to our business, it was fun, but that's all it was. Nothing I was passionate about, just a little change of pace, now Conor can go and fight Bisping for the 185 belt, amirite?

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

08.27.2017 | 1:49 PM ET

I think truly big boxing matches don't happen all that often that's why they feel bigger. With MMA we are a little spoiled with the regular influx of highly competitive fights. So what should be big fights between two top contenders is just another day office for MMA fans.

* Edited at 08.27.2017, 1:50 PM ET *

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

08.27.2017 | 2:18 PM ET

That was actually a relatively competitive entertaining fight, but I hope it's Conor's last, I look forward to his next title defense, it's long overdue.

The most intriguing aspect of all this is what the relationship between the UFC and McGregor is like now.  They may have opened Pandora's box by letting him do this.  The UFC is generally pretty generous when it comes to paying it's biggest attractions, but McGregor just dipped into a market that values big attractions a lot more.  What they pay McGregor going forward could shift the MMA pay paradigm substantially.  Because if someone beats him in MMA, they are going to want a lot more money as well.  This could be very good for MMA fighters long term.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Bigj383
Bigj383

08.27.2017 | 3:11 PM ET

McGregor holds more leverage than any fighter in the history of MMA. He is an example to other MMA fighters of what os possible and the earning potential that exists in the sport. I would bet UFC splits profits with McGregor 50-50 or even more on any of his future PPVs. He already gets a cut of more than any other UFC fighter ever has but he will be getting a piece of the gate, the ppv, the tv rights, possibly even sponserships. The thing every other UFC fighter has to remember is he started on the prelims making the league minimum just like everyone else.

* Edited at 08.27.2017, 3:11 PM ET *

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

08.28.2017 | 3:08 AM ET

@jodybanman, I actually think this fight has taken just a tiny bit of leverage away from Conor. Yeah, he grew his brand just that much more, but I believe that would've happened organically anyway and he's already got the "without me who makes you money?" thing in his corner.

But what this fight did do is show Conor that no matter how great he is (or thinks he is, depends on who you're asking), he has no real place in boxing's higher echelon and can't hang that over their heads every time they negotiate. He held his own, but it was clear that someone that fights differently than Floyd would have ended it sooner and made him look very bad. He may not admit it, but I'm sure he knows it. So he knows that MMA and the UFC are his only option which leaves them both in a position where they need each other more or less the same so neither can go completely bonkers with demands.

* Edited at 08.28.2017, 3:09 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

08.28.2017 | 5:46 PM ET

Yoss, I'm not a Conor McGregor fan, so I am inclined to agree with you.  That being said, I don't agree with you.  McGregor had no business in boxing before fighting Mayweather, and that didn't stop it from being a hugely successful endeavor.  He made so much money that the UFC now has to cater to him, they need him a lot more than he needs them.  

I agree with Bigj383, he has more leverage than any fighter ever has.  If the UFC doesn't meet his demands, he can walk off into the sunset and still be a fabulously wealthy famous man.  Or he can pursue boxing.  I don't think he can compete at a high level either, in fact there's huge potential for him to be badly humiliated if he goes that route, but I know that he can make a **** ton of money doing it, at least for 1 more fight.  Even in MMA, if he really wants to fight Nate again and the UFC doesn't go for it, that fight doesn't necessarily have to take place in the UFC.  I don't know how long it would take for both of them to get out of their contracts, but the fight could make the same money anywhere.

It's been funny watching Dana White have so much fun on the Conor McGregor bandwagon during this boxing invasion, but I have a feeling the fun is over for Dana.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

08.30.2017 | 2:42 PM ET

another thing about this fight, no one mention, is that Conor testing was far superior to floyds. Conor was held to UFC drug test policy, while floyde did his standard extremely sketchy deal he has with USADA, in which he is barely tested, and they can write him exemptions for things with out telling the commission.  Does it matter for this fight?  Prob not, but is interesting that conor is 28 but was tested significantly, while floyde who 40, testing is was absolute joke. 

* Edited at 08.30.2017, 2:43 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

08.30.2017 | 3:50 PM ET

I think it helped boxing just as much as the UFC.  Boxing has virtually no stars and that was their biggest PPV ever.  Boxing has always been the UFC's biggest rival so now people will want to more of these undeserved matches that just take away from the MMA aspect of the UFC.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

08.31.2017 | 2:10 PM ET

What star did they create from this match? They gave there sport killer one more giant pay day. How did they help market for future stars?  How did this help them?  They got eyes on what boxer again?  I don't know of a single person who watch this events that does not watch boxing, that excited in the least for any up coming boxing match.  This got people who where involved one more giant payday, but it it was more or less the final nail in there coffin.   Unless Conor decides to box again, boxing is going to be completely swallowed whole by MMA.

SlongKong
SlongKong
  • Predictions:  153  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  845
  • Post Score: 56

08.31.2017 | 2:30 PM ET

you're so wrong

I know so many people that got/watched this event that don't watch boxing at all.

Ugas stands to better his career after a entertaining fight on Fox, And most importantly Badou Jack raised his stock so much with this event

"I'll fight any man; Any animal. If Jesus were here; I'd fight him too.- Mike Tyson; Downvote me if you want this ****"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

08.31.2017 | 3:09 PM ET

I am?  Please what person do you know that now gives a **** about either of those guys, that never watched boxing? No one. You guys live in a  fantasy world. They did an absolute awful job of marketing the other boxers.  There stock did not go up with non boxing fans. I garentee, there numbers keep declining, and this does nothing to help raise boxers stock or ppv buys.  I think people are living in a fantasy world if they came out of this fight thinking this saved boxing  Again i ask, what star did they create from this event?

* Edited at 08.31.2017, 3:10 PM ET *

HJWalker
HJWalker
  • Predictions:  3,064  |  67.6%
  • Forum Posts:  337
  • Post Score: 118

08.31.2017 | 4:26 PM ET

I totally agree that they did a terrible job promoting everyone else on the card but it would be a total waste of money for everyone involved. Casuals were tuning in for Mayweather and McGregor. The cost of putting on that fight being nothing short of astronomical. I think it was a conscious choice and the right one to just fill the rest of the card without heavy promotion. Also I think the idea that boxing is dying is a very US-centric view. European boxing is in excellent health, so are the weight classes that the US market has never cared about and even Oceanic boxing is strong right now. 
Bigj383
Bigj383

08.31.2017 | 6:37 PM ET

That has been the problem with boxing for years is that there isn't much incentive for star building by promoters. Why is a promoter going to invest money in a fighter that can jump ship as soon as he starts to make it big. There are so many titles now that not even one of those will get you noticed. You essentially have to box a known fighter and perform well, which doesn't really happen because most known boxers hand pick opponents, or you have to be a champion from a country that has strong national pride and still has interest in boxing. 

UFC has a structure where every new fighter they sign is technically a financial loss for the company. Which is something boxing promoters aren't willing to do. The UFC does this in the hope that one out of 50 will be the next Conor, GSP, or Anderson Silva. The vast majority of UFC fighters wind up as journeymen or are cut to be tomato cans elsewhere. I don't believe boxing's financial structure just doesn't allow for that type of risk.

I can't name you one boxer from the under card without looking it up. I watched the fight at a friends house who is a casual fight fan and he didn't even watch the prelims. He turned on the PPV after it had already started. We saw the guy in the fuzzy pants who lost his title on the scale win against a guy who either just quit or was looking to draw a dq and only half of the fight before that one. The others at the party didn't like fuzzy pants. 

SlongKong
SlongKong
  • Predictions:  153  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  845
  • Post Score: 56

08.31.2017 | 7:57 PM ET

already wrong

Got friends into badou Jack fans. Stop making assumptions dumbass.

"I'll fight any man; Any animal. If Jesus were here; I'd fight him too.- Mike Tyson; Downvote me if you want this ****"

Page 9

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Liisi Vaht Makes Flawless Debut In ONE Friday Fights 60 Results
  • Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Reveals His ‘Stack’ Of Steroids From Ever Titan
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 Results: Nicolau vs. Perez
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 Results: Perry vs. Alves
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Even Holloway Knows He Got Dropped At UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: LFA's Kendra McIntyre ragdoll KOs opponent with absolutely vicious head kick
  • MMA Mania : Staredowns! ‘Platinum’ Has Fiery Exchange With Alves
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 weigh-in video, results
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith on Alex Pereira: 'Given the opportunity, we both would jump on it'
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Official Weigh Ins Video!
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 ceremonial weigh-ins live stream
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 ceremonial weigh-ins live stream (9 p.m. ET)
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Recalls Justin Gaethje’s ‘Vibranium’ Leg Kicks: ‘This Guy Kick Hard As Sh*t’
  • MMA Junkie : Vanessa Demopoulos prepared to get used to familiarity with UFC opponents like Emily Ducote
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 weigh-in video at 9 p.m. ET
  • MMA Mania : Aldo Hoping For McGregor ‘Of Old’ At UFC 303
  • Bad Left Hook : Esparza loses three belts on scale
  • Bad Left Hook : Spence reportedly in ligation with former trainer over unpaid fees
  • Bad Left Hook : Errol Spence reportedly in ligation with trainer Derrick James over unpaid fees
  • MMA Junkie : Why Chael Sonnen thinks Tom Aspinall potentially facing Ciryl Gane at UFC 304 is a big risk