Topic: Other Combat Sports

Mayweather vs. McGregor

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

WorstPredictionMan
WorstPredictionMan
  • Predictions:  1,156  |  35.6%
  • Forum Posts:  343
  • Post Score: 675

05.06.2016 | 11:08 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Mayweather vs. McGregor. Let's see what you've got.

"There goes WorstPredictionMan, the greatest predictor who ever lived."

Responses Page 5

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

07.18.2017 | 11:22 AM ET

Too many people getting fished in by this dog and pony show. It's all hype with the one goal of separating easily duped people from their money. Foolish people paying $100 bucks for the 0.3% chance Conor lands a left that not only knocks Floyd down but keeps him down for 10 seconds. It's like asking a decathalete to race Usain Bolt in the 200m.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

07.18.2017 | 1:44 PM ET

It is really silly.The new wave of mma fans think the fight that makes most sense is the fight that gets the highest ratings or sells the most PPV's.Probably 95% of "fans" only care about (or actually know) the big names and the real fights to make fall by the wayside as they feed the majority of people what they want to see.It's mostly people's faults for being ignorant or I should say buying the ******** hype.

Like this fight,ridiculous fights like Royce vs Ken,GSP vs Bisping (maybe not a great example there)and all the "money" fights we have been seeing more of lately and all the interim belts just to call them a big huge title fight.

Imo it's kind of like movies,they have been just spamming mostly garbage for a long time like Fast and Furious 37 or every other movie being a marvel movie loaded with explosions and eye candy and stupid horror movies that have no plot.It's the consumer that's really driven things to go the wrong way and it's only going to get worse.It would have been nice if the bigger orgs stuck to their guns and went more toward a real sport as opposed to 100% spectacle but it's still a business and you can't blame fighters for gravitating toward money but it all still sucks.

To be honest though I have my opinion on it all and that it's only going to get worse but I kind of stopped caring what fights they make and the direction of the sport a long time ago.Not that I don't care at all i'm just pretty much indifferent and just appreciate whatever I get to see, but it is all concerning as I do love this sport.Kind of the same way I have super low expectations for every event just in case it isn't great.It's pretty laughable a stupid fight like this is going to be so huge and that everyone's ok with Conor skipping title defenses etc because they aren't "money fights".

Mayweather is going to easily smoke Conor,it's not even going to be a fight and it'll leave a bad taste in the mouth of those idiots that actually pay $100 for this ultimately leaving many of them not wanting to fall for hype like this again but at the same time the publicity will probably move worthless hype fights more into the main stream opening the door for more.It is what it is and i'll watch the fight but I would be really psyched if Conor was fighting Tony,Khabib or something that actually makes sense besides the ratings/ppv sales stuff.
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

07.18.2017 | 11:47 PM ET

Sad to see so called MMA fans call this fight a joke or they dont wanna see it..Not just some people here who I won't name..But this dog and pony show as it was so affectionately called has definitely been working for Conor and like it or not he got the better of Floyd during that tour.

* Edited at 07.18.2017, 11:51 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 3 hours, and 39 minutes from now.
Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

07.19.2017 | 12:47 AM ET

MMA fans are currently showing their true ignorance in this situation. 

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

mikeyg
mikeyg

07.19.2017 | 2:18 AM ET

Like who? People who think he has no shot? I agree
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 3 hours, and 39 minutes from now.
Bigj383
Bigj383

07.19.2017 | 3:28 AM ET

It's been working to put extra money in Conor's and Floyd's pocket from gullible fans who buy into the spectacle.

Lopati
Lopati

07.19.2017 | 4:06 AM ET

Mikey, like the ******s that think conor is gonna land some one hitter quitter on Floyd. Conor doesnt hit as hard as either Maidana or canelo and I would be willing to bet that Guerrero when he fought Floyd was a harder puncher than McGregor. 

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Lopati
Lopati

07.19.2017 | 4:08 AM ET

I like the buildup and all, but let's stay in reality here. Conor has the same chance james toney had. 

People are like Conor won the press conference. Oh neat did he get some show and win money for that? Nope, so who gives a ****, lol. 

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

07.19.2017 | 7:04 AM ET

People often like to be told what to believe because it's popular. This is no different.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Huiop532
Huiop532
  • Predictions:  9,220  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,534
  • Post Score: 206

07.19.2017 | 11:50 AM ET

For one, rappin, you should probably just stay away from any thread involving Conor. 

Now, for anyone who thinks that Conor actually has a shot at winning this... you're a ******* idiot. Conor will not win. There's too many factors going against him. 10 oz gloves, 12 rounds, strictly boxing... oh, and maybe the fact that he's fighting possibly the best boxer of this century. He has NO shot. Zero chance at winning. 

I will be rooting for McGregor, because there is no way I'm rooting for someone like Floyd who beats women and plays the race card any chance he gets (yet he can be racist all he wants, because black people cant be racist, right?). But there is no way it's gonna happen. Floyd will most likely take a very comfortable decision, but don't be surprised if Floyd finishes it.
mikeyg
mikeyg

07.19.2017 | 9:05 PM ET

Whatever, it's a hate fest around here lately. Last thing of note, Conor opened as a +950 dog and is now at +350. It's not just "gullible people" that are seeing this could happen. The oddsmakers are noticing the shift, the boxing world is affecting that line as well. If you're some expert go bet the house on Floyd of you're so sure and show your bet slip.

* Edited at 07.19.2017, 9:10 PM ET *

mikeyg
mikeyg

07.19.2017 | 9:06 PM ET

James toney is a horrible analogy. He had no grappling and conors main style is boxing.
jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

07.19.2017 | 10:30 PM ET

No one's going to bet on Mayweather, it's a bad bet.  McGregor in this fight is the kind of longshot everyone loves to bet on because you could win so big.  That the odds are tightening doesn't make the fight closer.  Mayweather has every advantage in a boxing match, I'll be surprised if Conor can even hit him once.  The only reason this fight is happening is because people are willing to pay to see it, otherwise no athletic commission would never sanction it.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

mikeyg
mikeyg

07.19.2017 | 11:32 PM ET

It's not a bad bet if it's a sure thing, people absolutely are betting on Floyd
Fatality
Fatality
  • Predictions:  1,982  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  476
  • Post Score: 268

07.20.2017 | 12:15 AM ET

On Bovada right now
Mayweather -600
McGregor +400

Right now, there's definitely value in the Mayweather bet. You're going to see a lot of sharps on Mayweather. Mayweather must have at least a 85.7% chance of winning to make the bet +ev. 

On the other hand, I think betting on McGregor at +400 is a losing play. You're basically saying that McGregor has at least a 20% chance of winning. I want Buster Douglas odds, not +400. 
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

07.20.2017 | 6:59 AM ET

I read Buster Douglas odds were 42 to 1.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Lopati
Lopati

07.20.2017 | 12:37 PM ET

Nobody is gonna bet on mayweather? Did I just read that? These are the best odds on mayweather that I can remember so please explain why nobody wil bet on him? This oughta be good! 

Bigj383
Bigj383

07.20.2017 | 1:48 PM ET

It is just gullible people seeing this could happen. You're betting Floyd will be struck by lightning on a sunny day at +400 sure it could happen but the odds are a lot more than 4-1.

mikeyg
mikeyg

07.20.2017 | 6:46 PM ET

Okay let's see your bet slip then. Acting like those of us who think he has a chance are stupid, yes upsets never happen. Youre the only ilk here acting like anyone is a sure win, it's disgusting from a fellow MMA fan but the way you're making it sound none of us who thinks he has a chance ever followed boxing. **** off bigj, put your money where your mouth is and bet against the gullible ******s lol.
jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

07.22.2017 | 2:55 PM ET

I stand corrected, I didn't realize the odds were that close, Mayweather is a good bet.  I'm suprised the odds are so close, to me this should be in Buster Douglas-Mike Tyson territory.  It will be interesting to see how the odds evolve leading up to the fight.  

* Edited at 07.22.2017, 2:58 PM ET *

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo hopes Conor McGregor 'of old' shows up vs. Michael Chandler at UFC 303
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC lightweight Paddy Pimblett announces arrival of twin baby girls
  • MMA Mania : Copycat! Satoshi Mimicked Oliveira To Score Stellar Finish
  • MMA Junkie : Ariane Lipski plots her 'best performance ever' against Karine Silva at UFC on ESPN 55
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This will be one of Canelo’s better performances’: Ellerbe expects showcase victory against Munguia
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream (6 p.m. ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video live now
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video at 6 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Louisville lineup announced: Dominick Reyes vs. Dustin Jacoby, but no main event official
  • MMA Mania : Wanna Bet Someone Misses Weight? Now You Can!
  • MMA Junkie : Ronda Rousey thinks Joe Rogan, media turned on her after knockout losses: 'They're a bunch of assh*les'
  • MMAFighting.com : Curtis Blaydes: Tom Aspinall fight at UFC 304 makes sense, but I learned ‘don’t get my hopes up’
  • Middle Easy : Trial Date Set for Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez in Attempted Murder Case
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya will always respect 'special fighter' Alex Pereira
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Shaq: Vitor Belfort knocked out person ‘talking crazy’ at bar
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville