Topic: Frankie Edgar

Frankie Edgar Potential Titles

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  12,009  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

12.19.2015 | 3:03 AM ET

Obviously, Edgar is the former lightweight champ and could very well be the featherweight champion if Dana gives him the next crack at Conor. 

I also feel Edgar has the potential to go down to 135 and take the belt from the winner of Dillashaw/Cruz. 

You guys think that he still has enough in the tank to regain his lightweight belt as well, or is the current batch of top-5 guys there too much for Edgar at this point? 

Thought this would be a fun and debatable topic and I'm interested to hear your thoughts. 

* Edited at 12.19.2015, 3:03 AM ET *

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

Frankie "The Answer" Edgar

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Frank James Edgar
  • Pro MMA Record: 24-11-1 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Answer
  • Current Streak: 3 Losses
  • Last Fight: November 12, 2022 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Bantamweight | Last Weigh-In: 135.6 lbs
  • Affiliation: Ricardo Almeida Jiu Jitsu
  • Height: 5'6" (168cm) | Reach: 68.0" (173cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,191,000 USD
  • Born: Toms River, New Jersey, United States
  • Fighting out of: Toms River, New Jersey
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

12.19.2015 | 5:48 AM ET

A fighter that relies on his technical, speed and conditioning advantages typically doesn't want to go down in weight, on top of that Edgar is 34...Going down to 135lbs is probably a bad idea and he should only consider it if he runs out of chances at Featherweight in my opinion. He arguably beat Bendo twice, he lost a competitive fight to Aldo, at 135 though I think he may start to get picked apart at this point, overwhelmed by speed, technique and athleticism by guys like TJ and Aljimain.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,528  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.19.2015 | 7:01 AM ET

I don't think he beats Conor nor do I think at his age going down to a faster weight class where he'll finally have to cut more than 2-3 lbs we'll actually get the same Edgar. Not necessarily completely different, just hard to predict based on the Edgar we know. Look how Brad Pickett looked at 125 even though he's a tiny bantamweight. The cut and the speed difference made an impact. Now had he cut to 125 when he were say 25 years old, I guess he'd have been a top 3 flyweight at least. He goes back up to 135 and he puts on an amazing fight againt a beast of a prospect. Pickett isn't Frankie (though he's pretty similar in a lot of ways), but that's a scenario you need to consider before sending him down to make history.

I do think however that when it comes to will power, championship fortitude and all around skills, Frankie can be potentially champ in both 145 and 135, but the way the landscape is mapped as of now, I don't think it plays out that way.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,395  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

12.19.2015 | 9:21 AM ET

I think he would beat Conor if they fought, but I don't think moving down to 135 would be very smart for him at this point. Who knows, though. Maybe he could do well there.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.19.2015 | 11:13 AM ET

He could certainly be a 3-division champ, but the way 145 has really filled out recently, I like his chances much better at 135. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  12,009  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

12.19.2015 | 1:59 PM ET

Whether it's from fights I've seen or just looking back on his career in general, one thing I've learned is to never count Frankie out. Guy just seems to find a way to win. Conor's a great fighter but I think Edgar has the tools to beat him at 145. 

155 is probably unlikely again at this point. IIRC one of the commentators said that Edgar only cut about 5 pounds to make 145, so he'd have to gain some weight to make 155 again. And that division is a shark tank now. I wonder how Edgar now would match up against guys like RDA, Cowboy, Ferguson, Khabib (if healthy and he even fights again), Pettis and Johnson because those are probably a sampling of the top guys he'd have to beat to win the title and make a defense. 

* Edited at 12.19.2015, 2:05 PM ET *

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

12.19.2015 | 2:53 PM ET

Edgar probably has the best recovery since Big Nog in the early 2000s.

* Edited at 12.19.2015, 3:11 PM ET *

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia’s Latest Drug Test Result Clears Him Of Nandrolone Use For Devin Haney Fight
  • MMA Junkie : NYSAC executive director Kim Sumbler resigns from position
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Terrance McKinney, Alexandre Pantoja, UFC 301 Recap
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul Vows To ‘End’ Mike Tyson: ‘One Of Us Has To Die’
  • MMA Junkie : Jan Blachowicz campaigns for rematch with UFC champ Alex Pereira: 'He knocked out everybody – not me'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Every serious boxing fan will be watching in awe’: Bob Arum targets Lomachenko vs Stevenson this fall
  • Middle Easy : Movsar Evloev Says Dana White Criticized His UFC 297 Performance But Was Watching NFL During The Fight
  • MMAFighting.com : ESPN+ subscribers drop again ahead of UFC broadcast deal negotiations
  • UFC.com : UFC PARTNERS WITH LAS VEGAS METROPOLITAN POLICE DEPARTMENT AND FIGHTING FOR THE FUTURE FOUNDATION TO LAUNCH YOUTH MENTORING INITIATIVE IN LAS VEGAS
  • MMA Mania : Covington Finally Remembered The Name
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 MMA retirement tracker: A list of those who hung up the gloves
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith Says He’ll Submit Alex Pereira Within ‘5 Minutes’ In Grappling Match, ‘Poatan’ Can Pick ‘Any Martial Art’ He Wants
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland's coach: UFC considered Khamzat Chimaev matchup before Paulo Costa booking
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘They tried but no lie stands’: Garcia claims vindication in PED scandal
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘They tried but no lie stands’: Ryan Garcia claims vindication in PED scandal
  • MMA Junkie : Aspen Ladd excited with switch from PFL to Bellator, still aims to become champion
  • MMAFighting.com : Colby Covington denies UFC offered him Ian Machado Garry: ‘We all know that he’s a cuck but now we know he’s a liar’
  • Jits Magazine : Helena Crevar Signs Exclusive UK Contract With Polaris
  • MMA Mania : Blachowicz Demands Pereira Rematch For Dec. Return
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington now open to Belal Muhammad matchup, 'super intrigued' by Khamzat Chimaev