Tapology Forums

Former UFC Lightweight Champion Benson Henderson Is Going To Test Free Agency

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

11.28.2015 | 6:41 PM ET

Link

By Ken Pishna

Benson Henderson completed the last fight on his eight-bout UFC contract when he defeated Jorge Masvidal at UFC Fight Night 79 on Saturday in Seoul, South Korea. In his post-fight actions in the Octagon, he alluded to the idea that he might be ready to step out and test the free agent market.

Well, it wasn’t just an allusion.

In between comments, Henderson took off his gloves and set them down on the canvas; generally an indication that a fighter is done competing. But after saying into the camera, “Was that impressive enough for you?” he picked up his gloves and walked out of the Octagon.

He later confirmed to MMAJunkie.com that there was a reason for night signing a new UFC contract prior to the Masvidal bout, he intends to swim with the sharks in the free agent waters.

“When I retire, it will be retiring in the UFC, I know that for sure,” he said. “But I’m going to test the market, yes.”

Henderson didn’t exactly state that he would be fighting elsewhere once contract negotiations play out, but he has certainly blown the door wide open for such a possiblity.

“I’m not trying to send any message of any type, but if it plays out a certain way, I want to have some pretty good memories to go out on,” he said.

Several former UFC fighters have recently signed with Bellator, so it wouldn’t be all that surprising if Henderson were to follow suit. Phil Davis, Josh Thomson, and Josh Koscheck are all currently flying the Bellator, but another intriguing possibility could be Asian fight promotion ONE Championship (formerly ONE FC).

A match-up with current ONE welterweight champion Ben Askren would be a solid bout for both men, and continuing to fight in Asia is certainly something that Henderson might enjoy. For his part, it certainly sounds as if Askren is lobbying for his employer to make the move.

For now, however, Henderson’s next move remains in limbo, as he just finished his contract, and the UFC typically has a 90-day exclusive negotiating window with most of its fighters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

Does Henderson stay with the UFC?

If not, what organization does Henderson join?

"..."

Responses

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

11.28.2015 | 6:43 PM ET

Personally, I believe that if Henderson doesn't stay with the UFC, he will sign with Bellator.

* Edited at 11.28.2015, 7:06 PM ET *

"..."

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

11.28.2015 | 6:49 PM ET

Really? I was expecting him to go to Tachi Palace if he left the UFC.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

11.28.2015 | 7:07 PM ET

@boredoms  So you don't think that there is any chance of Benson Henderson accepting an offer from ONE FC or RIZIN?

"..."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

11.28.2015 | 10:13 PM ET

This is what fighters like Henderson are going to have to do if they want to increase their pay. It's a gamble and can pay off big if you are a desirable enough name. UFC may match whatever he's offered if they want to keep him around or he heads to another org making more money than UFC was willing to pay him. Either way he should come out ahead, hus only detriment is he hasn't always been the most exciting fighter since he won the title and often squeeks by winning close decisions. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

11.28.2015 | 11:03 PM ET

@bigj383  You say that and yet Josh Thomson left the UFC and signed with Bellator relatively recently, and Thomson's no slouch either.  So who's to say that Henderson won't do the same?

"..."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

11.29.2015 | 10:32 AM ET

Would the UFC let him back later on?

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

11.29.2015 | 2:42 PM ET

Why wouldn't they? The UFC have shown that they're not run by infantile ******s in the sense that if you're marketable no fued is beyond "reconciliation".

Bendo will leave on good terms, Rampage, Randy, BJ Penn, Tito and many others didn't. Did the UFC take them back? In a heartbeat and with better paychecks.

If you're worth money, the UFC want you, if Bendo's still a draw when/if he wants back I'm pretty sure he'll be back.

But let's not forget that he hasn't left yet, m'kay.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

11.29.2015 | 3:05 PM ET

@yoss Do you think Benson leaves?

"..."

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.29.2015 | 3:07 PM ET

@Greenhornet I say what? That fighters should test their value on the open market. Thompson did and he claims he is better off for it, though he is a bit of a different case since he left on a three fight skid but he claims he's making more so he wound up ahead. Wherever Ben winds up it will likely be more than he is making now. He could wind up like Josh Thomson making more in Bellator or like Gilbert Melendez making more in the UFC. In the end he will probably make more especially coming off a couple wins. Ben is doing what more fighters should do finish their contract and test their value. Instead of pulling a Nate Diaz signing a contract extension and then ***** it's not what they wanted.   

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.29.2015 | 3:12 PM ET

Whether or not Benson leaves the UFC will fall on the bottom line of who is going to pay him the most. At the end of this he will be making the most his name could possibly make in MMA 

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

11.29.2015 | 3:15 PM ET

@Hornet, I don't really know. I'm pretty sure he's already got a few offers on his table, he was pretty obvious about that. But I definitely agree with @Big, that showing the UFC that it's not a given their stars re-sign with them just because and checking your true value (or close to it) even if it's only to end up getting said value form the UFC are a must.

As for Bendo, I think what he really wants is to get to fight for UFC gold again ASAP, I think he's angling for a promise of a pretty clear path to a title shot (something along the lines of 2 more wins tops and he gets a shot) rather than more money, but that's pure speculation on my behalf and there's a good chance it's belony.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  11,983  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

11.29.2015 | 4:15 PM ET

It'd feel weird for me if Bendo left. While he was never one of my favorites, I like the guy and he was one of the first guys I remember watching. I got into MMA right around the peak of his career when he was champion and saw him defend a couple of times. I know, I'm a late bloomer but still. 

IIRC, the first event I watched was when he defended his title against Nate Diaz. 

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

11.29.2015 | 5:18 PM ET

@bigj Misread your post.

"..."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

11.29.2015 | 10:22 PM ET

Bendo in Rizin or Bellator would be awesome imo
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 3 days, 9 hours, and 47 minutes from now.
PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,980  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

11.29.2015 | 11:50 PM ET

Really? Bendo would have like a handful of decent matchups in Bellator or Rizin(though Bendo/Aoki could be awesome) and he isn't quite like Thomson as I don't think he's on the downswing of his career yet. I hope UFC resigns him, he's the exact sort of fighter they need to have around, but they better pay him more.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

11.30.2015 | 7:39 AM ET

How much did he make in total for his last fight? All I know is he got 15 K from Reebok.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,769  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

11.30.2015 | 10:03 AM ET

One Championship would be a nice fit.

Aoki vs Bendo for LW
or
Askren vs Bendo WW

Maybe have an open contract like Aoki to fight for Rizin

* Edited at 11.30.2015, 10:05 AM ET *

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.30.2015 | 10:08 AM ET

Bendo fighting anywhere but the UFC is a joke. If you want to gift him a title in another promotion and watch him coast for 25 minutes every time he defends it, sure, let's get that going on. If you want to see him have competitive match ups that go more than 1 or 2 deep, let's keep him where he's at.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 5 hours, and 51 minutes from now.
pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,769  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

11.30.2015 | 10:10 AM ET

I think bendo is only making 48 base+48 win
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.30.2015 | 10:17 AM ET

On one hand I can understand taking a job with another promotion for more money, but at the same time I'm like "Really bro?!" You'd rather make a little extra cash while murdering Dave Rickels than fight the best in the world at your weight? I have a problem with that...kinda. I'd have a much bigger problem with it if the UFC would pay their fighters what they were worth eliminating their need to pimp themselves to other promotions for the most money. I'd be surprised if he gets a better deal from another promotion. I doubt they're gonna want to pay over 50k to show to a guy who lives and dies by split decisions for the most part.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 5 hours, and 51 minutes from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • UFC.com : Karine Silva Is All-Business, All-Action
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau vs. Alex Perez prediction, pick: Which flyweight stays in contention at UFC on ESPN 55?
  • UFC.com : Jonathan Pearce: Knocking On The Door
  • MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo ready to trade leg kicks with Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301: 'I'm a specalist at what I do'
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter cusses out judge, tells them to quit
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Sean O'Malley on delay for Merab Dvalishvili title bout: 'I'm not fighting out of the country'
  • MMA Mania : BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Predictions
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith stands by Alex Pereira criticism but promises he’s not just ‘talking sh*t’ about him
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Mania : Hunt Files To Unseal All Docs In UFC-Lesnar Lawsuit
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall signed with PFL for Claressa Shields rematch: 'The goal is to make a build-up'
  • MMA Mania : NSAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopes?!?
  • MMA Mania : NAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopez?!