Tapology Forums

Former UFC Lightweight Champion Benson Henderson Is Going To Test Free Agency

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

11.28.2015 | 6:41 PM ET

Link

By Ken Pishna

Benson Henderson completed the last fight on his eight-bout UFC contract when he defeated Jorge Masvidal at UFC Fight Night 79 on Saturday in Seoul, South Korea. In his post-fight actions in the Octagon, he alluded to the idea that he might be ready to step out and test the free agent market.

Well, it wasn’t just an allusion.

In between comments, Henderson took off his gloves and set them down on the canvas; generally an indication that a fighter is done competing. But after saying into the camera, “Was that impressive enough for you?” he picked up his gloves and walked out of the Octagon.

He later confirmed to MMAJunkie.com that there was a reason for night signing a new UFC contract prior to the Masvidal bout, he intends to swim with the sharks in the free agent waters.

“When I retire, it will be retiring in the UFC, I know that for sure,” he said. “But I’m going to test the market, yes.”

Henderson didn’t exactly state that he would be fighting elsewhere once contract negotiations play out, but he has certainly blown the door wide open for such a possiblity.

“I’m not trying to send any message of any type, but if it plays out a certain way, I want to have some pretty good memories to go out on,” he said.

Several former UFC fighters have recently signed with Bellator, so it wouldn’t be all that surprising if Henderson were to follow suit. Phil Davis, Josh Thomson, and Josh Koscheck are all currently flying the Bellator, but another intriguing possibility could be Asian fight promotion ONE Championship (formerly ONE FC).

A match-up with current ONE welterweight champion Ben Askren would be a solid bout for both men, and continuing to fight in Asia is certainly something that Henderson might enjoy. For his part, it certainly sounds as if Askren is lobbying for his employer to make the move.

For now, however, Henderson’s next move remains in limbo, as he just finished his contract, and the UFC typically has a 90-day exclusive negotiating window with most of its fighters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

Does Henderson stay with the UFC?

If not, what organization does Henderson join?

"..."

Responses Page 2

CarteLL
CarteLL
  • Predictions:  12,119  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,552
  • Post Score: 263

11.30.2015 | 10:19 AM ET

Rizin would be more than nice for him.
pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,757  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

11.30.2015 | 10:20 AM ET

I dont know what Askren's deal is with One, but even if it's 50+50 and unlimited sponsorship, I'm thinking Benson could get that easily.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.30.2015 | 10:29 AM ET

This is just a guess, but I'd guess Askren is not making that much in One. This is a guy who when signed by One had just been cut by Bellator (regardless of being their champ) and was shown zero interest by UFC. My guess would be he's making about half of 50+50.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 4 hours, and 49 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

11.30.2015 | 11:05 AM ET

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

11.30.2015 | 11:09 AM ET

Shows what I know. Good for Funky.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 4 hours, and 49 minutes from now.
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.30.2015 | 11:15 AM ET

Good for him, fighters leveraging themselves for success is the first step in the right direction. If enough bigger named fighters do this, slowly fighters and the UFC will start to understand the fighters worth. I'd love to see Bendo vs Askren or Will Brooks, even if he just signed a 2 fight contract with Bellator and fought Chandler too or a short contract with ONEFC. Winning those fights rises his stock considerably, look at the contracts guys like Lombard and Alvarez got. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

11.30.2015 | 11:26 AM ET

^ That's probably the most ideal scenario. The only problem is, I'm not sure the UFC will care if he goes. He fights in two of the most stacked weights in the sport. If they were going to have an issue with guys leaving to Bellator or other promotions I thought Phil Davis would have been an issue for them just because 205 is so thin. I'm not sure "unexciting" fighters like Bendo will ever get what they're worth from the UFC regardless of wins and losses until they become "exciting". And while I agree that Bendo deserves more money I'm going to hate to see him get it by going to Bellator if he signs a long contract with them. Outside of the UFC I see about 4 fights on paper for Bendo that aren't total mismatches. It's pretty clear that the UFC is aware of Bendo's worth seeing as how he tends to headline any card he's on. If they were smart they'd give him a long contract with a substantial raise. Maybe let him get in on one of those "Exclusive Reebok Contracts" that are somehow not a blatant conflict of interest.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

11.30.2015 | 11:40 AM ET

If Bendo leaves, I like to see him fight Askren. I think that actually a really winnable fight for Bendo.

"here I come to save the day"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

11.30.2015 | 11:52 AM ET

If he goes to ONE does that fight just happen over and over again? Because if not...who else is he fighting that's even got a chance? Luis Santos?
Franklin880088
Franklin880088

11.30.2015 | 12:20 PM ET

True, though he could always sign a one fight contract.  It a gamble but could pay off if he beat Askren. 

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

11.30.2015 | 12:23 PM ET

I'd be all for that, but I don't think ONE would be. Signing a guy to a one fight contract to fight the biggest draw on your roster (outside of Aoki) and champ? If Benson won that fight on a one fight contract ONE would have a problem on their hands.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088

11.30.2015 | 12:31 PM ET

It true, they might not be interested. Though I could see them being interested if they believe askren will win.  It a gamble on there part, but they really only want someone like Benson for one fight.  That to give Askren a named opponent that will further increase his name value.  They are def not going to want to pay Bendo salary for multiple fights, but I could see them being willing to drop the dough for a single fight in the believe the larger Askren would come out victorious.  I think they might be willing to take the gamble.  Personally I think Bendo would win, but I could def see them thinking that Askren as a dominant wrestler and fairly large would be able to man handle the smaller Bendo. I think they be mistaken, but I could def see them coming to that conclusion and taking the chance. 

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

11.30.2015 | 12:52 PM ET

I think he'll want a multi-fight deal wherever he goes. I would in case of injury, or laying a turd.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088

11.30.2015 | 1:11 PM ET

For most people I would def agree, but Bendo a wild card. I think he one of those guys that really does want to go down as one of the best and think he really does mean it when he plans to retire with the UFC. I think whereever he goes he will be planning to make a return to the UFC. I honestly can see him taking a 1 fight deal against someone like Askren in order to renegotiate with the UFC  after for more money.  I think he really is that confident and that much of a wild card that I really think that something he would do.  Though I don't think it the smart thing to do or something the vast majority of fighters would do. He just strikes me as a very ballsy and confident dude that I would put very little past him.

* Edited at 11.30.2015, 1:12 PM ET *

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,258  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,483
  • Post Score: 203

11.30.2015 | 11:59 PM ET

ROAD FC has said they are willing to make Benson a legit, significant offer if he goes on the market.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.01.2015 | 4:14 AM ET

And by significant they mean 200K.

It's not clear is that's show money and there's also a win bonus, per fight or full contract value, but it's a nice start.

To be honest, I don't see him ending up in Road FC, but it's still an official offer to come with to further negotioations with the UFC and a nice high watermark for other companies that may want to lay him an offer too.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia misses weight, will still fight Devin Haney
  • UFC.com : Steve Erceg Hopes To Open Some Eyes
  • UFC.com : Julian Erosa's Monumental March
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 ticket prices: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler could break promotion's gate record
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Snaps Back at Ilia Topuria Over BMF Title Demands: ‘That’s Kind of Un-BMF’
  • MMAFighting.com : Brendan Loughnane details ‘intense’ training sessions with Conor McGregor ahead of PFL return
  • MMA Mania : UFC Trumps Boxing, Named MVP Of Combat Sports
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Weighs in on Herb Dean Controversy at UFC 300, Would ‘Love’ His Next Fight to Be Against Sean Strickland
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302's Sean Strickland on Paulo Costa: 'I'm going to make that dirty Brazilian bleed'
  • Bad Left Hook : Morrell moves to 175, Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo
  • Bad Left Hook : David Morrell Jr moves to 175, Edgar Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo Alvarez
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul responds to Ronda Rousey criticism: ‘I don’t think she’s a hater’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I see it being an early night’: Haney doesn’t expect Garcia to last the distance
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal proud to see fans bring Miami heat on Nate Diaz: 'He definitely felt it'
  • Middle Easy : Frustrated Ketlen Vieira Believes She is More ‘Deserving’ of a UFC Title Fight Than Kayla Harrison
  • MMA Mania : Chandler Reveals Plans For McGregor’s ‘Hurt Leg’
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter eats head kick after failing to exploit grounded fighter rule
  • MMA Junkie : Kyoji Horiguchi, Sergio Pettis to rematch at Rizin 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Sergio Pettis vs. Kyoji Horiguchi 2 announced for RIZIN 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Gegard Mousasi lashes out at PFL over lack of communication, refusal to book him since buying Bellator