Tapology Forums

What do you train in?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

08.14.2011 | 12:10 PM ET

I can't remember if there was a thread made on this topic since I've been around or not.  However, I want to know what (if any) martial arts styles you guys train, or have trained, in.  Also, do you have any competitive experience?  What are your goals? 

I have been training in martial arts for about twelve years in a variety of different systems.  I have a background in aikido, arnis, wing chun, muay thai, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and boxing.  Currently, I train regularly in muay thai, BJJ, and arnis.  I have a brown sash in wing chun, a blue belt in BJJ.  I've competed in open martial arts tournaments, submission grappling, and amateur MMA.  I also teach defensive tactics to law enforcement in my dept. and the police academy that serves this region.  My goals are to continue to compete in MMA and submission grappling, but also branch out to kickboxing and boxing.  I also want to someday open my own studio, where I hope to teach martial arts to civilians, but also offer special instruction to military and law enforcement.

I'm interested to see what martial arts we have represented here, and also what type of competitive background you guys have.  With a web site like this, I know we've got some students of the game, because the pick percentages floating around are pretty incredible.  That shows some in depth, hands on experience with the fight game. 

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

Responses

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

08.14.2011 | 2:22 PM ET

Damn, you have an impressive resume.

I only do Jiu-Jitsu.

"We Are All One"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,561
  • Post Score: 275

08.14.2011 | 2:27 PM ET

I don't do any martial arts training personally. But I'm handy with a computer.

"I live, I die, I live again."

minotauro11
minotauro11

08.14.2011 | 2:28 PM ET

That's probably more practical.

"We Are All One"

RWLawman
RWLawman

08.14.2011 | 2:32 PM ET

@mintauro11, appreciate the complements.  Where do you train at?  How long have you been doing it for? 

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,561
  • Post Score: 275

08.14.2011 | 2:37 PM ET

Though my brother Jeremy, fellow protector-of-Tapology, does do BJJ.  He submits me at will.

I want to make this button green! No I want to make this button blue!  And then I'm choked out.

"I live, I die, I live again."

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

08.14.2011 | 2:42 PM ET

2 or 3 years of Jiu Jitsu although I haven't done it in a while hope to get back on the mats this year

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

minotauro11
minotauro11

08.14.2011 | 2:42 PM ET

I'm not exactly rich so I used to just train in the basement of a boxing gym. My instructor was just a brown belt. Eventually they had to shut down the jiu jitsu program because it brought in no money. That place was cheap as hell, it was all nogi (which I like much less than gi) so I didn't have a belt or anything. Before that I was at a different gym but after about a year or two, it got too expensive and I had to stop. Eventually I'm going to train at Rodrigo Vaghi's gym in St. Louis, but for now, I have no money or time.

"We Are All One"

RWLawman
RWLawman

08.14.2011 | 2:48 PM ET

Nothing wrong with training with a brown belt in BJJ.  My instructor is only a purple belt, but I think most of that has to do with his physical ailments and not being able to take it any further.  Sencer Canup, a BJJ black belt, was actually the guy who promoted me to blue, but I am thankful every day for my instructor and his knowledge.  Purple is typically when a jiu-jitsu player begins his journey into teaching, so a brown belt is definitely experienced enough to get you going.  Too bad the place got shut down. 

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

08.14.2011 | 2:50 PM ET

My instructor was a purple when I started and he got promoted to Brown while I was with him

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

08.14.2011 | 2:52 PM ET

I just started Karate 5 months ago, I'm moving up very quick though. I wish I would've started sooner, my favorite part is definitely the groundgame so I could see myself starting in jiu-jitsu when I have some more money.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

RWLawman
RWLawman

08.14.2011 | 2:58 PM ET

I've found BJJ to be the most difficult yet most rewarding style I've ever trained in.  I don't know about the rest of you Jits guys, but I get extremely claustrophobic at times.  My military career was actually cut short because my claustrophobia was so bad, but it has come along way thanks to BJJ. 

MegaDave
MegaDave
  • Predictions:  8,095  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,656
  • Post Score: 191

08.14.2011 | 3:53 PM ET

I did wrestling from 10 years old to 19.  Once I got into college, I wrestled for a year and then I got sick of not eating and having to cut weight all the time.  Now, one of my best friends is a brown belt in jiu-jitsu and we roll quite often.  He'll submit me more often then not, but he's shown me a lot of things.  Also, I've taken some basic kickboxing and Muay Thai classes, each for about six months

* Edited at 08.14.2011, 4:04 PM ET *

"I'm sorry that the brilliance of my words goes over your heads. I'm not going to stop being an eagle just because I am surrounded by turkeys-CS"

MegaDave
MegaDave
  • Predictions:  8,095  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,656
  • Post Score: 191

08.14.2011 | 3:54 PM ET

* Edited at 08.14.2011, 3:54 PM ET *

"I'm sorry that the brilliance of my words goes over your heads. I'm not going to stop being an eagle just because I am surrounded by turkeys-CS"

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,124  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

08.14.2011 | 3:58 PM ET

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

08.14.2011 | 4:03 PM ET

I just started training this year.  I train Japanese JJ, Aiki-kempo, and some Aikido.  I love it and wish I could do it every day. 

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

RWLawman
RWLawman

08.14.2011 | 6:31 PM ET

I've never heard of Aiki-kempo before.  I can probably guess what it consists of by breaking down the word, though.  Aikido was the first style I ever trained in.  I actually tried two different variations of the style, the first being no kokoro, and the second behind nihon goshin aikido.  Nihon goshin was a pretty cool style, a more aggressive form.  I have run into a lot of the small joint manipulations in defensive tactics.  Although I feel that there are more effective systems, Aikido can make a solid foundation.  My concern lies in the physiological effects of combat on the fine motor skills required to pull off the majority of Aikido techniques. 

outlawmusic
outlawmusic
  • Predictions:  2,101  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  269
  • Post Score: 88

08.15.2011 | 11:28 PM ET

I've trained Boxing(amature record of 3-1 3 KOs) and Gracie Jiu Jitsu since I was 7, Wrestled since the age of 12 and started to seriously take part in kick boxing, kempo(0-1 record with one TKO loss from the hardest god dam kick in the stomach anyone has ever seen but thats a story for later), sambo and dabbled in crav maga and just started in a more rounded mma gym before I was in a car accident and ended up pretty crippled. I'm on the mend now and just have a few more rounds of physio before i can really start training but I've been rolling a little bit and hope to start competing seriously in the next year or two.

"I don't go running, I train to fight not to run" - Don ******* Frye

minotauro11
minotauro11

08.15.2011 | 11:31 PM ET

@RW, by just a brown belt I didn't mean it wasn't a huge accomplishment. I just meant he wasn't a reputable name black belt that you would recognize.

To be honest I don't even know if he was a legit brown belt. He was good, better than me, but he was pretty young and I've rolled with purple belts that are better than him. 

"We Are All One"

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

08.15.2011 | 11:32 PM ET

Trained at Torres Martial Arts (of Miguel's fame obviously) in BJJ and integrated Muay Thai/Kickboxing. Never got into BJJ too much, but did kickboxing for about a year and a half and loved every second of it.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

08.15.2011 | 11:36 PM ET

I train in Bjj and Tang Soo Do and I've done muay thai for about a year.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC Announces Date And Location For Amateur World Championship 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown