Topic: Marina Shafir

***RUMOUR*** Marina Shafir to Invicta

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,528  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

04.07.2015 | 1:54 PM ET

This on the University of MMA's FB feed:

The University of MMA with Marina Shafir 17 hrs · 

Congrats to Marina Shafir for signing with Invicta FC! Here's to the next step in her career. For more info on Marina and highlights of her amateur fight at the University of MMA check out this profile video!
Unlike · Comment · Share · 20

They're no MMA source, but she fought for them, they're a leading ammy MMA promotion and seem to know what's what in the region so hopefully this is true.

That said, I seriously hope she doesn't get pushed against Cyborg too soon (though, Cyborg battering her could be a huge trigger to make a fight between her and Ronda happen faster and pack more heat - if possible - since her and Ronda are besties).

I actually think Marina could lose some weight and fight at 135 but she apparently likes the 145 division or she doesn't want to leave any opening for her and Ronda to ever be badgered about fighting each other (since she naturally believes she's going to be one of the best fighters in the world).

Also note, I see nothing on this on Invicta's feed nor Marina's so hopefully I'm not jumping the gun.

* Edited at 04.07.2015, 1:55 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Marina "The Supernova From Moldova" Shafir

Fighter Details

• Name: Marina Shafir
  • Pro MMA Record: 1-2-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Supernova From Moldova
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: July 09, 2015 in IFC
  • Weight Class: Featherweight | Last Weigh-In: 145.2 lbs
  • Affiliation: UWF USA
  • Height: 5'7" (170cm) | Reach: N/A
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,500 USD
  • Born: Soroca, Moldova
  • Fighting out of: Venice, California
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

04.07.2015 | 1:56 PM ET

There will be armbars
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 1 week, 5 days, 15 hours, and 48 minutes from now.
flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,753  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,783
  • Post Score: 273

04.07.2015 | 2:03 PM ET

Is she hot? That's pretty much all the UFC cares about when it comes to women's fighters. 

* Edited at 04.07.2015, 2:04 PM ET *

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

04.07.2015 | 2:10 PM ET

She's too big for the UFC at the moment. Weighing in at 153 pounds in her last fight makes me think she's probably too big for the UFC period.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 1 week, 5 days, 15 hours, and 48 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,528  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

04.07.2015 | 2:16 PM ET

Nah, she's big because she carries a lot of extra weight. With proper dieting and conditioning she makes 135 pretty easy, imo.

Regardless of weight, just talent-wise I don't think she's even near UFC-level (though, neither are a few others that are in). She's got a solid judo background but her striking is pretty slow and sloppy and her grappling, though solid, isn't crazy good.

Thing is with her relative name value (via proximity, but still a reality) and the lack of depth in the 145 division, I'm pretty sure she meets Cyborg pretty fast (maybe after 1-2 fights, depending on how they go) and Cyborg will most likely batter her from post to post.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

04.07.2015 | 5:31 PM ET

This is not a rumor. Shannon Knapp posted this article on her facebook page a week ago...

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/1/8327151/marina-shafir-signs-with-invicta-fc

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

04.07.2015 | 5:38 PM ET

Marina made weight (145) last time she fought. I think she was fighting around 153lbs in her ammy days because she wasn't cutting weight.

I think it would be great if she fought at 135, but it'd be even better if she fought Cyborg at whatever weight. If Cyborg wins that fight that would give Ronda enough motivation to meet Cyborg at whatever weight finally.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

04.07.2015 | 5:51 PM ET

feed her to Cyborg and watch the fat chick get brutalized. that is the plan. i like it too.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 3 weeks, 1 day, 21 hours, and 14 minutes from now.
curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

04.07.2015 | 6:07 PM ET

The Shafir/Cyborg was intriguing before she got brutalized by Amanda Bell. Now not so much

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! O’Malley Wants Sleepy Time For Mac
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Sleep Sean O’Malley’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Mania : ‘My D—k Didn’t Get Hard!’ Brown Couldn’t ‘Get Fired Up’ About Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Snaps Back at ‘Sugar’d Up’ Conor McGregor Over Past PED Usage: ‘When Your Idols Turn to Rivals’
  • Middle Easy : Ian Garry Promises to ‘Slap the Mouth Off’ Colby Covingtong Within One Round: ‘Sign the F*cking Contract’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo opens as big underdog for potential Sean O’Malley title fight
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Roasted Over Fighter Pay, Slams ‘Liberal F*cks’ Netflix During the Streaming Giant’s Tom Brady Special
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Felt I Can’t Say No’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 medical suspensions: Four fighters receive 180 days but not Jack Shore for leg wound
  • MMAFighting.com : Heather Hardy reveals career likely over due to ‘too much brain damage’
  • MMA Junkie : Weekend boxing review: Canelo Alvarez gave vintage performance. Is David Benavidez next?
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier thinks Islam Makhachev is underestimating him ahead of UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall In The Dark While Jones ‘Is Playing Games Again’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 medical suspensions: 3 winners potentially out 6 months
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo vs. Sean O’Malley? ‘Very Possible Chance’ Outlandish Title Fight Happens, Says Outspoken UFC Star
  • MMA Junkie : Matt Brown explains how UFC 300 snub finalized retirement decision, says BKFC signing 'not out of the question'
  • MMA Mania : Covington Knows Garry Is A ‘Terrible Stylistic Matchup’
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean O’Malley responds to Conor McGregor diss, now wants Michael Chandler to ‘sleep’ him
  • Bad Left Hook : Roach vs McCrory set for June 28 on ProBox TV