Topic: Prospect Watch

Future UFC Stars Who Aren't In UFC Yet

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Power
Power
  • Predictions:  20  |  75.0%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 389

02.03.2015 | 12:41 AM ET

Lets hear about some good prospects...

I'll start with 2 I think could be contenders and maybe Champions in the UFC at 145 lbs and 155 lbs.  One has had 4 pro fights and one has had 8 pro fights...but they both unbeaten and have big time talent.  Another interesting thing is they are training partners.

1) Gregor Gillespie 155 lbs. (4-0....4 1st rd stoppages)  Was a 4 Time All American and D1 National Champion wrestler.  Interesting story and has a similar buzz of dominance like Chris Weidman had a few years ago when he was 4-0 as a Ring Of Combat fighter from Long Island before getting his UFC call.  Gregor trains with Keith Trimble at Bellmore Kickoxing/MMA around guys like Costas Philippou, Ryan LaFlare, Dennis Burmudez, World Champion Boxer Chris Algieri and many others.  Great talent, great coaching...I believe he could make a big noise sooner than later despite only having 4 fights.

2)  One of the others Gillespie trains with is his training partner undefeated 145 lber Andre Harrison Former Ring Of Combat Champion now in Titan FC.  Andre was 6-0 as an amateur and is currently 8-0 as a professional. He was a 2X All American D2 wrestler and is a physical specimen who is athletic, big and strong for that weight class.  Andre is fighting 17-3 Cody Bollinger March 20th in Titan 33. Keep an eye on him and Gillespie.   (Recent videos below)    

Responses Page 10

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

01.16.2016 | 10:30 PM ET

FW, Teddy Violet (10-1)

Hailing from France, 24 year old Teddy Violet is a fighter that is very much ready to fight in the UFC.  In terms of his stand up, Violet is good.  He has good movement, very technical with his strikes, has good variation in his strikes, and has decent power to knock guys out.  In terms of his ground game and grappling, Violet is very good.  He has great TDD, good counters to takedowns, is good at getting submissions, good at controlling position, good at making transitions on the ground, and has solid ground and pound.  Overall, I think Violet is a solid Featherweight that is ready to face UFC level competition and could be a real force.

Here is a video of Violet's victory over Zsolt Fenyes:

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

01.17.2016 | 3:11 PM ET

@WastelandWanderer Why are you trolling, brah?

"..."

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

01.17.2016 | 4:40 PM ET

Sorry had bad day should have stayed off Internet honestly sorry 

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

01.19.2016 | 10:03 PM ET

@Wasteland It's cool.

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

01.19.2016 | 11:10 PM ET

FLW, Ivan Flores (8-0-1)

Hailing from Monterrey, Mexico, Ivan Flores is a very good Flyweight prospect that is ready to go to the UFC.  In terms of his stand up, Flores is very good.  He has insane power for a flyweight, has decent variation in strikes, is very aggressive and pushes the pace of a fight, uses the clinch well, has a decent chin, and he has some decent footwork as well.  With regards to grappling and the ground game, Flores is okay.  He has good takedown skills, decent TDD, can pass guard well, and can really hurt opponents with ground and pound.  However, Flores usually likes to keep the fight standing.  Furthermore, he also can leave himself open to get caught in submissions at times.  Overall, I like Flores a lot and think he is a real exciting fighter.  If I had to compare him to a fighter in the UFC right now, it would probably be John Lineker.

Here is a video of Flores's victory over Jonathan Cruz: 

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

01.27.2016 | 7:09 PM ET

HW, Ante Delija (14-3)

Hailing from Dubrovnik, Croatia, 25 year old Ante Delija would be a good addition to the UFC's Heavyweight division.  In terms of his stand up game, Delija is good.  He has some solid knockout power in his strikes, he controls distance well, is decent in the clinch, has a good chin, has good footwork, and some decent movement.  There are some holes in Delija's stand up however, as he can stand flat footed at times and can have his hands go down lower then where they should be; leaving his chin exposed.  Also, while he has some variation in his strikes, he under utilizes kicks and knees.  In terms of his ground game and grappling, Delija is very good.  He has solid takedowns, good TDD, can control position well, can pass guard well, he actively hunts for submissions on top and on his back, and has insane ground and pound.  The one problem that is in Delija's game with regards to grappling and the ground is that he can sometimes remain stationary.  This could be problematic at the next level, as once he losses control on the ground (like he did against Dion Staring), Delija can struggle. 

One other concern I have about Delija is his health.  He just suffered a bad leg injury in his last fight against Marcin Tybura; as Delija broke his shin after Tybura checked his low kick.

Overall, I still consider Ante Delija to be one of the better Heavyweight prospects in Europe.

Here is a video of Delija's victory over Ruben Wolf: 

"..."

mmawizzard
mmawizzard
  • Predictions:  49,494  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,249
  • Post Score: 146

01.27.2016 | 7:24 PM ET

Speaking of HW's @greenhornet did you see that Adam Milstead got signed?

"Wizzard of Tapology"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

01.27.2016 | 8:02 PM ET

@MMAWizzard Yes I did.  Not only that, a couple other prospects that we have profiled in this thread like Bochniak and Nicholson were picked up by the UFC in recent months, as well. 

* Edited at 01.27.2016, 8:03 PM ET *

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

02.04.2016 | 1:33 AM ET

HW, Darko Stosic (7-1)

Hailing from Belgrade, Serbia, 23 year old Darko Stosic is a Heavyweight prospect that the UFC should look at in the future.  In terms of his striking and stand up, Stosic is decent.  He has knockout power in his strikes, he has good variation in his strikes, he has a good chin, he can push the pace of a fight, and can utilize the clinch decently.  One flaw in Stosic's stand up game, however is his movement; as he comes off very stiff both in his head movement and his footwork.  Another flaw I noticed is that Sotsic sometimes lunges with punches, which exposes his chin.  In terms of grappling and the ground game, Stosic is good.  He has quality ground and pound, solid takedown skills, good takedown defense, controls position well, and hunts for submissions.  One flaw in Stosic's ground game is his ability to transition in guard.  While he can transition in guard, he doesn't do it often enough.

Overall, while rough around the edges, I think that Stosic is a solid prospect in the making.

Here is a video of Stosic's victory over Rizvan Kuniev:

"..."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

02.04.2016 | 7:46 AM ET

Any fighters from Africa?

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

02.07.2016 | 4:39 AM ET

WW/MW, Dricus Du Plessis (7-1)

Hailing from Hatfield, South Africa, 22 year old Dricus Du Plessis is a good prospect that is on the cusp of being UFC ready, based on the limited footage that I have seen.  Originally a kickboxer, Du Plessis has been able to translate those skills into the cage as he has good variation in his strikes, gauges distance well, good footwork, and good movement.   However, ironically enough, where Du Plessis really seems to shine as a fighter is in his grappling.  He has great takedowns, decent takedown defense, good scrambling skills, good transitions on the ground, and actively hunts for submissions.  I wish I had more to go on to give a more in depth look.  But overall, based on what I've seen, Du Plessis is a solid fighter.

Here is a video of Du Plessis' victory over Darren Daniel: 

"..."

DrGlaze
DrGlaze
  • Predictions:  18,699  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  872
  • Post Score: 188

02.07.2016 | 6:58 PM ET

Chris Hanekom is a guy from South Africa I've had my eye on. 6'4, light heavyweight, 25 years old. He's 5-0 as an amateur, and he had a successful pro debut back in December. I expect good things from him, for now in EFC anyway.

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. -Khalil Gibran "

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

02.07.2016 | 7:11 PM ET

@DrGlaze Cool.  Sounds like a good prospect.

* Edited at 02.07.2016, 7:12 PM ET *

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

02.07.2016 | 9:34 PM ET

FW, Felipe Froes (13-2-1)

At 24 years of age, Shooto Brazil's Featherweight Champion Felipe Froes is a great prospect that comes from the Nova Uniao camp and seriously needs to be looked at by the UFC.  In terms of the stand up game, Froes is phenomenal.  He has solid knockout power, great variation in his striking game, crisp combos, has a good chin, good movement and footwork, uses the clinch well, counter strikes well, and aggressively pushes the pace of the fight.  In terms of the ground game and grappling, Froes is good in this area as well.  He's decent at getting takedowns, has solid TDD, controls position well, passes guard well, and can pull off submissions well.  The only area that could use some improvement is his scrambles.  Other than that, Froes is a solid fighter overall that should be in the UFC.  If I could compare him to a fighter on the UFC roster currently, it would have to be Nate Diaz.

Here is a video of Froes' win over Walter Zamora:

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

02.09.2016 | 1:50 AM ET

MW, Robert Wilkinson (8-0)

At 6'2" and last weighing in at 185 lbs flat, 23 year old Australian Robert Wilkinson is a solid Middleweight prospect the UFC should keep an eye on.  In terms of his stand up, Wilkinson is decent.  He has power in his strikes, has decent variation in his strikes, pushes forward, has decent footwork, uses the clinch effectively, and throws in volume.  One hole in Wilkinson's game, however, is his movement; primarily in his body and head movement.  From what I've seen, Wilkinson doesn't use a whole lot of body and head movement to avoid strikes.  In terms of the ground game and grappling, Wilkinson is very good.  He is very good at scoring takedowns, good TDD, passes guard well, actively hunts for submissions when on top and off his back, scrambles well, and has vicious ground and pound.  Overall, I think Wilkinson is a solid 185 prospect with a lot of room to grow.

Here is a highlights montage of Wilkinson's fights: 

"..."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

02.09.2016 | 7:19 AM ET

Would be good for @ UFC Australia show.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

02.13.2016 | 7:57 PM ET

FW, Manny Bermudez (5-0)

Hailing from Worcester, Massachusetts, 22 year old Manny Bermudez is a very talented Featherweight prospect from CES that the UFC (or any major promotion for that matter) should really keep an eye on.  In terms of striking, Bermudez is a good fighter in the limited footage I have been able to review; as he has quick hands, has variation in his strikes, and closes the distance well.  One problem I noticed though is that Bermudez can leave his hands a little too far apart, which exposes his chin.  In terms of the ground game and grappling, Bermudez is excellent.  He has great takedowns, great TDD, passes guard well, hunts for submissions, very good at controlling position, and had good ground and pound.  Overall, I think Bermudez is a solid prospect.  I just wish that I had more footage of his fights to analyze the nuances of Bermudez's game.

Here is a video of Bermudez's victory over Manny Torres: 

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

02.13.2016 | 9:11 PM ET

WFLW, Katlyn Chookigan (6-0)

Since Bellator has recently added a Women's Flyweight division, one fighter that I would like to see added to that division is 27 year old Cage Fury Women's Flyweight Champion Katlyn Chookaigan.  In terms of striking, Chookaigan is good.  She has good power, she has solid variation in her strikes, uses distance well, pressures well, has good movement, and good footwork.  In terms of her ground game and grappling, Chookaigan is solid as well.  She actively hunts for submissions from the top and from the bottom, passes guard well, has solid TDD, and has good ground and pound.  Overall, Chookaigan is a solid fighter at Women's flyweight, and if Scott Coker is smart, he should sign her up immediately.  I also think, based on what @mmawizzard just posted, she would be a fantastic addition to the UFC's Women's Bantamweight division.

Here is a video of highlights from Chookaigan's dominant victory over Isabelly Varela:

* Edited at 02.13.2016, 10:05 PM ET *

"..."

mmawizzard
mmawizzard
  • Predictions:  49,494  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,249
  • Post Score: 146

02.13.2016 | 9:45 PM ET

@greenhornet I asked her if she can make BW cause Lauren Murphy needs a opponent next week and she said she can make it tomorrow and is always ready to fight Ive been trying to help get her signed by the UFC.

"Wizzard of Tapology"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

02.13.2016 | 9:59 PM ET

WSW, Angela Lee (4-0)

At only 19 years old and hailing from Mililani, Hawaii, Evolve MMA's Angela Lee is a great Women's Strawweight prospect the UFC should absolutely try and sign to the roster.  In terms of grappling and the ground game, Lee is phenomenal.  She has powerful takedowns, solid throws from the clinch, solid TDD, great scrambles and sweeps, actively hunts for submissions on the top and the bottom, and good ground and pound.  In terms of her stand up and striking, Lee is okay.  She has a good chin, has decent variation in her strikes, makes good use of the clinch for striking, has decent movement, and has some power in her strikes.  However, Lee is still very unpolished and needs to tune up how she throws combinations and improve her head movement, among other things.  One thing that I believe Lee has on her side, however, is limitless potential to grow and improve.  Overall, I think Angela Lee is a fighter that could do very well in the UFC and should be looked at very seriously.

Here is a video of Angela Lee's most recent victory over Lena Tkhorevska: 

"..."

Page 10

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : 7 Inspiring John Danaher’s Quotes For BJJ And Life
  • Middle Easy : Oscar De La Hoya Backs Jaime Munguia After Defeat Against Canelo Alvarez
  • MMA Mania : Video: White, O’Malley Get Burnt During Roast Of Tom Brady
  • MMA Mania : ‘The Rock’ Shares Footage From MMA Training Camp
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results, 4 am ET
  • MMAFighting.com : Drakkar Klose explains UFC 301 beef with Daniel Cormier, calls out Beneil Dariush, Jalin Turner
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC 301: Anthony Smith teaches another lesson in misplaced doubt
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Mauricio Ruffy reacts to Conor McGregor comparisons after spectacular UFC 301 debut
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo discusses next career move after fighting out contract at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira responds to UFC 301 criticism: ‘That’s the risk, but I’m the risk-taker’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: The Rock posts MMA training footage in preparation for role in 'The Smashing Machine'
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for free agent Jose Aldo after UFC 301 win?
  • MMA Mania : Pound For Pound #1 Vs. ‘The #1 Money Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Shogun Rua announced for 2024 UFC Hall of Fame class
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The Rock begin MMA training for Mark Kerr biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 winner Mauricio Ruffy warns Islam Makhachev 'a new king is coming' after debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja reacts to UFC 301 win, ‘watershed moment’ in flyweight division
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alexandre Pantoja after UFC 301 title defense?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 main card announced