Topic: Prospect Watch

Future UFC Stars Who Aren't In UFC Yet

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Power
Power
  • Predictions:  20  |  75.0%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 389

02.03.2015 | 12:41 AM ET

Lets hear about some good prospects...

I'll start with 2 I think could be contenders and maybe Champions in the UFC at 145 lbs and 155 lbs.  One has had 4 pro fights and one has had 8 pro fights...but they both unbeaten and have big time talent.  Another interesting thing is they are training partners.

1) Gregor Gillespie 155 lbs. (4-0....4 1st rd stoppages)  Was a 4 Time All American and D1 National Champion wrestler.  Interesting story and has a similar buzz of dominance like Chris Weidman had a few years ago when he was 4-0 as a Ring Of Combat fighter from Long Island before getting his UFC call.  Gregor trains with Keith Trimble at Bellmore Kickoxing/MMA around guys like Costas Philippou, Ryan LaFlare, Dennis Burmudez, World Champion Boxer Chris Algieri and many others.  Great talent, great coaching...I believe he could make a big noise sooner than later despite only having 4 fights.

2)  One of the others Gillespie trains with is his training partner undefeated 145 lber Andre Harrison Former Ring Of Combat Champion now in Titan FC.  Andre was 6-0 as an amateur and is currently 8-0 as a professional. He was a 2X All American D2 wrestler and is a physical specimen who is athletic, big and strong for that weight class.  Andre is fighting 17-3 Cody Bollinger March 20th in Titan 33. Keep an eye on him and Gillespie.   (Recent videos below)    

Responses Page 14

Cheese32165
Cheese32165
  • Predictions:  24,569  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,059
  • Post Score: 163

05.05.2016 | 12:31 PM ET

If Gregor Gillespie wins his next fight I think, he should be called up to fight at UFC 205 New York. Guy has continued to look good since the creation of this thread and you know that Ring Of Combat produces most of the top talent coming out of the New York area.

"Tom Breese Future Champ"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

05.18.2016 | 4:18 PM ET

BW/FW, Stephen Cervantes (6-0)

At 21 years of age and hailing from Albuquerque, New Mexico; Stephen Cervantes is an interesting prospect coming out of the Jackson-Winklejohn Gym.  In terms of striking, Cervantes is good based on the limited footage I have seen.  He has solid power in his strikes, good variation in the strikes he throws, makes solid use of feints, has good footwork, makes good use of the clinch, and uses distance well.  However, despite being trained by the great Mike Winklejohn, Cervantes is not without flaws.  For starters, he seems to take unnecessary risks in fights that end up exposing his chin; something that is uncharacteristic for a fighter coming from Jackson-Winklejohn.  Another thing I noticed is that Cervantes' head and body movement are somewhat average as well, as he seemed to get tagged a lot and had some difficulty evading punches when fighting Shawn Bunch.  Furthermore, his hand speed is average, and therefore he doesn't get as much power in his punches as he could.  In terms of grappling, Cervantes is above average based on what I have been able to see.  He's decent in getting takedowns, controls position well, passes guard decently, and has good submission defense.  One flaw I noticed with Cervantes, however, is that his takedown defense is very hit or miss.  Additionally, Cervantes seems to struggle a lot when he is not the one in dominant position. 

One proviso I will give with my criticisms of Cervantes, is that this is only based on the fight I saw of Cervantes fighting at Bantamweight. I say this because, besides the fact I wish I had more footage of his fights, Cervantes is a rather big for Bantamweight; as he stands at 5'8".  So, I'm not sure how much the cut down has an affect on his stamina, among other things.  Based on what I saw, I'm inclined to think it does.

Overall, while he is rough around the edges and probably needs to stay up at 145, Cervantes is a solid prospect.

Here is Cervantes' victory over Shawn Bunch:

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

05.22.2016 | 8:44 PM ET

WBW, Ji-Yeon Kim (5-0-2)

At 26 years of age and hailing from Seoul, South Korea; JEWELS' Women's Bantamweight Champion Ji Yeon Kim is a solid women's bantamweight prospect that is having major success in Asia.  In terms of her stand up and striking game, Kim is average.  She has decent boxing combinations, has decent (albeit not overwhelming) power makes solid use of the clinch, a good chin, makes good use of feints, and has good footwork.  However, there are some flaws in Kim's game.  For starters she has poor head and body movement and is not able to slip past punches; even ones that come straight down the pike.  This causes here to get rocked a lot and rely on the clinch way too often.  Furthermore, she doesn't have a lot of variety in her striking and mainly relies on her boxing.  In terms of her grappling and ground game, Kim is very good.  She has great takedowns, she has good TDD, she controls position well, she passes guard well, she scrambles well, she has solid ground and pound, and she is great at locking up submissions.

Overall, I think that Kim is a good prospect that the UFC should look at signing in the future.

Here is a video of Kim's win over Hatice Ozyurt:

"..."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

05.23.2016 | 6:12 AM ET

Weird ponytail in that fight.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

05.24.2016 | 7:15 PM ET

LW, Heydar Mamedaliyev (9-2)

At 24 years of age and hailing from Baku, Azerbaijan; Heydar Mamedaliyev is an interesting lightweight prospect fighting in Eastern Europe.  In terms of his stand up and striking, Mamedaliyev is very good.  He has solid power in his strikes, has a great amount of variation in the strikes he can throw, is decent at counter striking, has good footwork, has good head and body movement, has decent combinations, blocks strikes well, and gauges and closes distance well.  One weakness I noticed in Mamedaliyev's game, however, is that he can lunge forward for power punches; which leaves him open to getting taken down, as it did with his fight against Bruno Amorim.

In terms of the grappling and ground game, Mamedaliyev is decent.  He has solid ground and pound, he scrambles well, he passes guard well, he can lock up a submission well enough, has decent submission defense, and he can control position well.  One problem that Mamedaliyev has, however, is his takedown defense; as it is very hit or miss.  A lot of this comes from the fact that Mamedaliyev lunges forward on strikes.  Furthermore, when Mamedalyev does get taken down, it takes a lot of energy and time for him to get off of his back and into a dominant position.  Two good examples of this is with Mamedaliyev's fights against Zalimkhan Yusubov and Bruno Amorim.  In the Yusubov fight, while Mamedaliyev was able to scramble and get into dominant position at times in the fight, he had to exert a lot of energy to get that position.  Most of the time, Yusubov was able to control position and get Mamedaliyev locked up into submissions.  In the Amorim fight, Mamedaliyev was absolutely struggling to scramble, not able to gain a dominant position on Amorim often and was usually trying to hold on so he could force a stand up.  This could be bad if Mamedaliyev gets matched up against a fighter with a solid ground game like a Gilbert Burns or a Ryan Hall in the UFC, as it could possibly cause him to tire out mid way through a fight and/or get tapped.

Overall, I think Mamedaliyev is a solid fighter that, with some more work on his ground game, could be a real contender in the UFC.

Here is a video of Mamedaliyev's victory over Bruno Amorim: 

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

05.25.2016 | 12:50 AM ET

MW, Bruno "Blindado" Silva (15-5)

At 26 years of age and hailing from Joao Pessosa, Brazil; Bruno "Blindado" Silva is one of the top Middleweight prospects in Brazil right now.  As of right now, "Blindado" has a record of 15 wins and 5 losses; with 12 of his wins coming by way of KO, and an overwhelming majority of these KO's occurring within the first four minutes of the 1st round.

In terms of his striking and stand up, Silva is very good.  He has amazing power in his strikes (both in his punches and his kicks), he has a great amount of variation in the strikes he throws, he utilizes feints well, he gauges and closes distance extremely well, he pressures his opponent well, has decent hand speed, blocks strikes well, makes decent use of the clinch, decent head and body movement, and counter strikes well.  However, there are some notable flaws in his game.  For starters, Silva can have a tendency to headhunt and go for the quick knockout, which can cause him to gas out fast.  Additionally, Silva has a tendency to leave his hands low at points in the fight, which causes his chin to get tested more than it should.  Silva can also get overpowered in the clinch by his opponent, causing him to get taken down.  Not only that, Silva can stand rather flat footed, which is dangerous when coupled with the fact that he lowers his hands, as it makes him a stationary target.

In terms of his grappling and ground game, Blindado is average at best.  While he is decent at scoring takedowns, decent at controlling position, and has solid ground and pound, there are some significant flaws in Bruno Silva's ground game.  The most glaring of these flaws is his takedown defense, as he absolutely struggles to prevent his opponents from taking him to the ground.  Not only that, when he gets taken down, Silva has a hard time trying to get up; as his opponents smother him with ease, so he usually resort to closing his guard and waiting for a stand up from the ref.  Furthermore, he has sub par submission defense, as four of his five losses come from him getting submitted.

Overall, while he is one dimensional, Bruno Silva has amazing striking that could easily drop some of the tougher Middleweights in the UFC.  If he can find away to improve his takedown defense and his ground game, I think he could be an unstoppable force in the UFC's 185 division.

Here is a video of Bruno Silva's victory over Fabio Aguiar:

"..."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

05.25.2016 | 7:37 AM ET

Bruno Silva would be good for the next UFC Brazil.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

07.15.2016 | 4:30 PM ET

LW, Vladimir Sikic (11-0-1)

At 26 years of age and fighting out of Berlin, Germany by way of Croatia, Vladimir "Vlado" Sikic is one of the top lightweight prospects in Western Europe currently that the UFC should look at again; as he attempted to make it into the UFC via TUF during season 22 but didn't make the final cut.  In terms of his striking, Sikic has good knock out power, uses distance well, has a good amount of variation in the strikes he throws, makes solid use of the clinch, and has good hand speed.  He also has decent takedown defense and solid ground and pound.  One problem Sikic has is that when he is taken down, he struggles to get back to the feet or into a dominant position.  Another thing that concerns me is his growth as a fighter as he has not been overly active as a fighter since not making the final cut of TUF in 2015.  Recently, however, he has agreed to take a fight against former UFC fighter Norman Parke.  I am intrigued how he will handle this step up in competition.

Overall, Sikic is a solid fighter that, based on the fact he has already been on the UFC's radar before, could finally get a chance at fighting in the big time some time soon depending on how his fight goes with Parke.

Here is a video of Sikic's victory of Donovan Desmae:

"..."

Dimitris
Dimitris
  • Predictions:  1,779  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 89

07.18.2016 | 10:42 AM ET

1.Nikos Sokolis(One of the best strikers in 84 kg 12-4 in MMA and 22-1 in K-1 with only loss by Tyrone Spong).
2.Andreas Michailidis
3.Alexis Savvidis(The biggest prospect in Greek MMA).
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

07.18.2016 | 11:20 AM ET

Not one Indian prospect?

mattjawor
mattjawor
  • Predictions:  169,151  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  63
  • Post Score: 117

07.19.2016 | 3:24 AM ET

Mateusz Gamrot (KSW lightweight champion) 11-0 and last wins against Mansour Barnaoui and Marif Piraev

great prospect for UFC, awesome wrestling, great cardio and a he never lost a round on judges decisions

"I hope it's worth it what's left behind me"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

07.19.2016 | 7:57 AM ET

After looking at the prospects mentioned, not many have ended up in the ufc. I hope that changes.

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

07.19.2016 | 8:08 AM ET

@rappinpapsoda Unfortunately, for how big and successful of a promotion the UFC is, they do an absolutely terrible job signing prospects. A big reason is, a lot of the best talent is coming out of Russia and there's promotions already their willing to pay them as much or more than the UFC is willing to. But even excluding Russia and the former soviet block countries, the UFC is still very sub par at signing and scouting talent relative to their success and resources. A lot of the guys who flood in from TUF  are absolutely dreadful fighters you'd otherwise never hear of for starts. I hope that changes, but unfortunately I think the UFC is going more the WWE rout than a purists route they are more interested in marketing a guy like Sage Northcutt who may very well ever be a top 20 Lightweight than they are at signing Magomed Bibulatov's, Darrion Caldwell's and so many others. 

Also to think about it, Bellator offered Will Brooks a 125k base salary per fight, the UFC offered him 25/25k....

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

07.19.2016 | 5:22 PM ET

rappin, I was wondering why there doesn't seem to be any noted talent coming from India. Looks like the site doesn't even have a regional ranking for India.

Nomad, I'm not sure if that thing with Brooks was true, at least he got paid 50K/50K in the end according to payouts.

I did a list of the top 10 prospects I thought UFC should sign for each division and put it up on a site: https://skeletonmma.wordpress.com/

I had certain rules for it you can see in the flyweight entry.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

07.20.2016 | 8:03 AM ET

Good site.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

07.21.2016 | 11:44 AM ET

FTW/LW, Valentin Benishev (10-0)

At 24 years of age and hailing from Sofia, Bulgaria; Valentin Benishev is a solid Featherweight prospect coming from the Balkans.

In terms of striking, Benishev is good.  He has solid power in his strikes, good variation in his strikes, and he maintains and closes distance well.  Two notable flaws in Benishev's game, however, is his footwork and his lack of head and body movement.  Beinshev can stand rather flat footed in his fights and doesn't have much in the way of head and body movement (from what I could see) to help slip past strikes; which could be a problem further down the road.

In terms of grappling and the ground game, Benishev is solid.  He has good takedown defense, scores takedowns with ease, has solid ground and pound, can transition decently, can lock on a submission with ease, and controls position well.

Overall, I think Benishev is a good prospect that could do well in the UFC.  However, I would like to see him take a few fights in an organization like Cage Warriors to see where he stacks up against some higher level competition in Europe before he makes the jump to the UFC.

Here is a video of Benishev's victory over Giorgios Tsilidis: 

"..."

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

08.01.2016 | 7:40 PM ET

I'm not saying I'm the next Joe Silva(yet) but I believe Joachim Christensen is the 6th person signed from my list and I only made it from June-July.

Also he already got a passing mention but Aiemann Zahabi really interests me, he's Firas Zahabi's brother and trains at Tristar. He hasn't faced any serious competition yet from what I know but he has finished all 6 of his pro fights in the first round(and finished his two amateur fights in the first and third). That's some impressive finishing power and killer instinct for a bantamweight

* Edited at 08.01.2016, 7:45 PM ET *

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

08.07.2016 | 11:49 PM ET

BW, Byron Wilson (5-0)

At 21 years of age and hailing from Managua, Nicaragua; NFC Bantamweight Champion Byron Wilson is an exciting Bantamweight prospect coming out of Central America.

In terms of his striking/stand up, Wilson is decent.  He has solid KO power, has a great amount of variation in his strikes, puts combos together well, has a solid chin, and makes decent use of the clinch.  Two flaws, however, that are noteworthy of Wilson's game is his lack of movement (both in footwork and body movement) and his technique.  Wilson, at times (especially when he is tired), can stand rather flat footed in front of his opponent, which leaves him open to takedowns and getting hit.  Furthermore, when Wilson tires out, his punching technique is not as crisp as it is when he starts the fight, as he can throw looping punches that can further expose his chin.

In terms of his grappling/ground game, Wilson is good.  On the positive side, Wilson can lock up submissions while on top and on his back, has solid ground and pound, can control position well, is decent at scoring takedowns, and can pass guard well.  However, there are significant flaws in Wilson's grappling skills that stand out.  For starters, Wilson's takedown defense is bad, as he lets up takedowns relatively easily.  Furthermore, when he does get taken down, he can struggle with scrambling to get in a dominant position.  A prime example of this is his fight with Lester Perez, as Wilson was having to exert a lot of energy from the bottom to try and get the fight standing or trying to lock in a submission from the bottom.  These flaws could work against Wilson if he is having to take on fighters with a solid wrestling base.  One thing I will note, however, is that Wilson has made strides to improve this and did not have as much trouble with maintaining dominant position in his fight with Oscar Rivera. 

One further thing I will note is with regards to Wilson's stamina.  As I mentioned above, Wilson's stamina affects his performance dramatically, and one knock I have on him is his how he can gas himself out rather fast.  This quick dump of his stamina comes from him going on a heavy focus on grappling and fighting to maintain dominant position.  This could cost Wilson in a fight, as he may not have enough stamina in later rounds when he needs it the most.

Overall, Wilson has a lot of potential and is a solid prospect.  However, I would like to see him get more experience and fight in the US a couple times with an org like RFA, as well as go to a camp that can help him with his stamina issues, before he fights for the UFC.

Here is a video of Wilson's most recent victory over Oscar Rivera to win the NFC Bantamweight Title:

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

08.08.2016 | 12:42 AM ET

HW, Sergiu Spivac (5-0)

At 21 years of age and fighting out of Chisinau, Moldova; Sergiu "Polar Bear" Spivac is a solid Heavyweight prospect from Eastern Europe.

In terms of striking and stand up, Spivac is solid.  He has amazing KO power, he has good hand speed, he has good variation in the strikes he throws, utilizes the clinch well, has a solid chin, and has some decent footwork for a heavyweight.  One problem, however, I have noticed with Spivac is that he doesn't always utilizes his footwork to his advantage and can stand flat footed at times.  He also doesn't have a whole lot in the way of head and body movement.

In terms of grappling and the ground game, Spivac is decent.  He is decent at getting takedowns, controls position well, has solid ground and pound, can lock up a submission well, and has decent takedown defense.

The one thing I want to see with regards to Spivac is how he stacks up against some tougher competition in Europe.  As of so far, Spivac has only fought a couple of guys that have really tested him in Dimitriy Mikutsa and Evgeniy Bova.

Overall, I think Spivac is a great prospect in the making and has a lot of potential to be a solid Heavyweight contender.  However, Spivac needs to test himself and fight some of the better heavyweights in Europe before he signs with the UFC.

Here is a highlight video of Spivac's win over Dimitriy Mikutsa:

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

08.08.2016 | 1:04 AM ET

@pillory  Not bad.

Among the fighters I have listed in this thread (outside of the obvious ones in Hermansson, Dalby, and Tybura), the following have been signed by the UFC:

Alex Nicholson
Luan Chagas
Yoni Sherbatov (Fighting on TUF)
Alessio Di Chirico
Ion Cutelaba
Danielle Taylor
Adam Milstead
Katlyn Chookagian
Cristina Stanciu

"..."

Page 14

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : ‘MMA Media Hates Me,’ Ronda Rousey Reacts To Career Backlash & ‘How Happily Everybody Turned’ On UFC Star
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: It PAYS To Be King
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: How much credit does Ryan Garcia deserve for beating Devin Haney?