Topic: Prospect Watch

Future UFC Stars Who Aren't In UFC Yet

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Power
Power
  • Predictions:  20  |  75.0%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 389

02.03.2015 | 12:41 AM ET

Lets hear about some good prospects...

I'll start with 2 I think could be contenders and maybe Champions in the UFC at 145 lbs and 155 lbs.  One has had 4 pro fights and one has had 8 pro fights...but they both unbeaten and have big time talent.  Another interesting thing is they are training partners.

1) Gregor Gillespie 155 lbs. (4-0....4 1st rd stoppages)  Was a 4 Time All American and D1 National Champion wrestler.  Interesting story and has a similar buzz of dominance like Chris Weidman had a few years ago when he was 4-0 as a Ring Of Combat fighter from Long Island before getting his UFC call.  Gregor trains with Keith Trimble at Bellmore Kickoxing/MMA around guys like Costas Philippou, Ryan LaFlare, Dennis Burmudez, World Champion Boxer Chris Algieri and many others.  Great talent, great coaching...I believe he could make a big noise sooner than later despite only having 4 fights.

2)  One of the others Gillespie trains with is his training partner undefeated 145 lber Andre Harrison Former Ring Of Combat Champion now in Titan FC.  Andre was 6-0 as an amateur and is currently 8-0 as a professional. He was a 2X All American D2 wrestler and is a physical specimen who is athletic, big and strong for that weight class.  Andre is fighting 17-3 Cody Bollinger March 20th in Titan 33. Keep an eye on him and Gillespie.   (Recent videos below)    

Responses

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

02.03.2015 | 12:56 AM ET

If Floyd Mayweather wanted to learn some takedown defense he could come embarrass Aldo, McGregor and Pettis. Just too athletic and intelligent and able to explode.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

02.03.2015 | 1:15 AM ET

Marat Gafurov the biggest non-prospect prospect.  

Aaron Pico The biggest prospect with no fights

* Edited at 02.03.2015, 1:17 AM ET *

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,442  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,595
  • Post Score: 69

02.03.2015 | 6:57 AM ET

Aaron Pico if he leaves Bellator.

Also that Gatsalov guy who beat Cormier in wrestling. I think he has four fights already. He also trains with Cormier now.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Nomad
Nomad

02.03.2015 | 7:22 AM ET

Gatsalov doesn't have any MMA fights and he's 32-34ish in age. He's a lot bigger than Cormier and was a worlds and olympic gold medalist. A younger, better and bigger option is Amir Aliakbari who was one of the favorites for the.olympic gold and won worlds. All 6'5 280lbs of Persian God. He's spent the last year or so down in Thailand focusing on his striking and training with Soa Paleilei at the satellite AKA gym in Thailand. Believe Amir is only 27 and has stated he wants to be UFC world champ. Amir has history of steroid abuse however. He actually signed a 5 year contract with AKA and management, supposedly makes his MMA debut this year. So yeah, watchout for this ************.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

02.03.2015 | 9:07 AM ET

Before his last fight I tweeted Dana White to keep an eye on Joe Duffy, after his KO victory he was signed to the UFC so I can't list him.

Andrea KGB Lee is someone the UFC would love. Young, exciting, good looking. She lost a tough fight her last time out but had taken it on short notice against a veteran fighter. She will likely be in the UFC either at 135 pounds or when/if the UFC ever started 125 lb division (doubt it).

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

02.03.2015 | 2:15 PM ET

Even if Gatsalov does not have any fights, he still could do it as Couture was 33 when started and with less training. 
I wish Kyle Dake would try MMA.

Nomad
Nomad

02.03.2015 | 2:31 PM ET

Wait...first of all when Couture started the HW and LHW were **** and the real fighters were in Pride. Secondly, Couture was an all american freestyle wrestler, Olympic greco wrestler and an Army boxing champion. Thirdly, Couture was a cardio machine and all 5'11 245lbs of Gatsalov probably isn't when it comes to fighting as opposed to wrestling. Fourth, just because you're a better wrestler doesn't make you a better MMA wrestler or fighter.

Kyle Dake is no fighter.....

Nomad
Nomad

02.03.2015 | 2:47 PM ET

It's not like you can be a contender with just a strong double leg and a right hand anymore either, Olympic wrestler or not. Those days are over.

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA

02.03.2015 | 3:19 PM ET

"It's not like you can be a contender with just a strong double leg and a right hand anymore either, Olympic wrestler or not. Those days are over."

Dam right Nomad, Johnny Hendricks has a left hand not a right hand lol.
Nomad
Nomad

02.03.2015 | 4:03 PM ET

I hate Johnny Hendricks but even I acknowledge he has more than a left hand....his jab is really solid, his power leg kicks are great and if you watch enough of his fights you know his clinch and pocket game are really tight.

Also, Hendricks has twice the collegiate credentials of most American Olympians, he could of made the Olympic team most likely....not many 4x all american, national champions in NCAA History. He went for a fighting career over the Olympics, came in young, worked his way up through the WEC and became a champion. Even if Condit I thought beat him out of his title shot. 

And again, I hate Hendricks but lets not sell the man short. It doesn't hurt he has huge power and often relies on it (even when he shouldn't), along with a granite chin. I do wish he actually knew how to grapple but he just likes to hold guys down and smother them with his belly.

* Edited at 02.03.2015, 4:09 PM ET *

mmawizzard
mmawizzard
  • Predictions:  48,983  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,160
  • Post Score: 148

02.03.2015 | 7:54 PM ET

Marc Diakiese is a really good prospect he is good in every level of fighting.

"Wizzard of Tapology"

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

02.03.2015 | 8:29 PM ET

Yoon Jun Lee is probably the best prospect out of Korea at the moment outside of maybe Soo Chul Kim. He's already beaten Coro Coro, Makoto Kamaya, and former Dream Champion, Takafumi Otsuka. Here are his last 2 fights

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

Power
Power

02.05.2015 | 12:45 AM ET

yep....very true.  That's what is so interesting about Gillespie...like Hendricks he was also a 4x All American and a D1 Nat Champ.  Hasn't had many fights yet but has had several opponents pull out on him last minute...cold feet.  Hasn't seen a 2nd round yet according to Sherdog  http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Gregor-Gillespie-111701
Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,457  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

02.05.2015 | 12:54 AM ET

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,796  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

02.05.2015 | 1:13 AM ET

One fighter I think the UFC should look at is Marat Gafurov.  The guy dominated everyone he faced at featherweight in M-1, and it looks like he is on pace to do the same in ONE FC's 145 division after he won in his debut fight (a main event no less) with a first round submission victory over Robert Lisita. 

* Edited at 02.05.2015, 1:13 AM ET *

"..."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

02.05.2015 | 3:28 AM ET

Nomad, Couture started in MMA before Pride even existed. He was a natural athlete who picked up skills quickly. Gatsalov might be the same.
I know Dake is not a fighter but I wish I could see him try.

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA

02.05.2015 | 12:04 PM ET

@rappinpapsoda - randy may have had his first fight before Pride's first event but make no mistake they already had guys lining up to fight. Just a few months after Couture's first fight was the first Pride event with several big time HWs. I personally don't think that really matters, Couture was still great and ahead of his time.

@Nomad - You are right, Hendricks has more skills than that but you wouldn't have thought that before he started fighting. Gatsalov has supposedly competed in Sambo and has a BJJ black belt. Either way a much more meaningful comparison than Couture would be Brock Lesnar, who just a few years ago entered the UFC with nothing more than college wrestling and a big right hand and won the UFC HW title and defended it as much as anyone else in history. Only time will tell. 
Power
Power

02.05.2015 | 2:09 PM ET

Mit work on Gillespie's instagram page...stand up movement looks pretty impressive for such an accomplished wrestler.   

http://instagram.com/p/yp_jD7Rmlm/?modal=true

* Edited at 02.05.2015, 2:17 PM ET *

nogfan
nogfan
  • Predictions:  15,253  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,269
  • Post Score: 199

02.05.2015 | 9:51 PM ET

I've got Tom Duquesnoy. Really talented french fighter who's only loss so far is a D'arce to Makwan Amirkhani and is also a 5x national Combat Sambo champion in France and also works trains with the French national team for wrestling. 
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

02.06.2015 | 1:08 AM ET

Where is Frodo Khasbalaev?

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tim Tszyu willing to face Errol Spence next, talks fight with Sebastian Fundora
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor scoffs at retirement: ‘It’s to the motherf****** grave’
  • MMA Mania : Whittaker: Chimaev Fight ‘Came Out Of Nowhere’
  • MMA Junkie : Why 2022 PFL welterweight champ Sadibou Sy moved to light heavyweight for upcoming season
  • MMAFighting.com : Robert Whittaker reacts to Khamzat Chimaev fight at UFC Saudi Arabia: ‘It’s a bit of a shock’
  • MMA Mania : GSP ‘Would Have Put Khabib Down’
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul reveals he had ‘suicidal thoughts’ amid CryptoZoo scandal fallout: ‘I was spiraling’
  • UFC.com : The State Of UFC During UFC 100 And 200
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Not the smartest in the ring fighter’: Robert Garcia not convinced Rolly will beat Pitbull
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Not the smartest in the ring fighter’: Robert Garcia not convinced Rolando Romero will beat Isaac Cruz
  • UFC.com : Venum’s Adrenaline Fight Week Collection Is Changing The Game For Our Athletes
  • MMA Mania : Prospect Watch! Say Hello To Ernesto ‘Starboy’ Rodriguez
  • UFC.com : Vicente Luque: Expect Fireworks
  • MMA Mania : Aging Mac Will Fight Until He’s ‘Laid Out Flat’
  • Middle Easy : Georges St-Pierre Believes He ‘Would Have Beat’ Khabib in Rumored Superfight, Reveals His MMA GOATs
  • UFC.com : Erin Blanchfield Is Having A Full-Circle Moment
  • MMA Junkie : ONE 168 headlined by Stamp Fairtex vs. Jing Nan Xiong dual champion bout
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White reveals story behind heated negotiation with UFC sponsor: ‘Take your money … shove it right up your ass’
  • UFC.com : Manon Fiorot Has Gold On Her Mind
  • Middle Easy : Brendan Schaub Calls Conor McGregor The ‘Most Underpaid Athlete’ of All Time: ‘No One Wants to Hear This’