Topic: Velasquez vs. Werdum

Velasquez vs. Werdum

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,620  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

01.14.2015 | 12:07 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Velasquez vs. Werdum. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

01.14.2015 | 12:07 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Velasquez   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Rumored for June 13.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

01.14.2015 | 7:27 PM ET

Prediction: correct Werdum   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

So far away! If this fight doesn't happen until June that will be a 20 month layoff for Cain. Advantage Werdum.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

01.14.2015 | 7:41 PM ET

Prediction: correct Werdum   correct Submission   wrong Round 1  

Won't happen. Cain won't fight, but, for some reason, he won't be stripped of the title. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

01.14.2015 | 7:43 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Velasquez   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Would be nice to see the HW title defended for the first time in almost 2 years! 

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

FaceStomper
FaceStomper
  • Predictions:  4,891  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,399
  • Post Score: 224

01.14.2015 | 8:49 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Velasquez   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Ya know, it wouldn't be terrible putting this on 186, but the only reason it's in June is because of Mexico and it will sellout because of him. 

"You fight midgets" - Nate Diaz

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

01.14.2015 | 8:54 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Velasquez   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Hope they actually fight.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

01.14.2015 | 9:25 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Velasquez   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

Hopefully Cain makes it to the ring.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

01.15.2015 | 6:59 PM ET

99% confirmed by Werdum today.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

01.15.2015 | 7:23 PM ET

I like Werdum, but he's ******. Can't wait to watch Cain again.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

01.15.2015 | 8:46 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Velasquez   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

I hope Werdum pulls an upset.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

DelRose
DelRose

01.15.2015 | 10:02 PM ET

Yeeaah they scheduled this event long enough for Cain to get hurt again.

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

Itzz_Amii
Itzz_Amii
  • Predictions:  65  |  49.2%
  • Forum Posts:  78
  • Post Score: -97

02.16.2015 | 2:29 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Velasquez   wrong Decision  

My brother says he thinks Cain was on some kind of roids and thats why he has not  had a fight in so long 

but i cant wait for this fight i think Cain will stop him
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

02.16.2015 | 2:37 PM ET

I hope Werdum submits him. I was a fan of Cain back when he was fighting his way up to the title shot, but now he's just far too overhyped for me. His fanbase is slightly delusional... In the last FOUR YEARS he has fought Junior Dos Santos and Bigfoot Silva yet people jump at calling this guy the greatest heavyweight ever? *****, please. I hope Werdum wins this fight. Maybe then we'll have a heavyweight champion who defends his belt more than once every two years. 

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune

02.16.2015 | 3:04 PM ET

@Mike I'm a huge Cain fan, and I think the greatest HW ever is Fedor, Randy a close second, but I think Cain is definitely in the top 5, I also think that one of the reasons people consider him the greatest HW is because the lack of talent in the HW, there aren't much fighters that have been dominant for a long time in this division, that's one of the reasons imo, another reason some consider him the greatest (more often I've heard/read people consider him as one of the greatest, that's different imo) is that he has been champion twice and has defended the belt as much (or little) as the most dominant HW Champions in the UFC, also he beat up JDS twice, in such a convincing and brutally way that only a few times on MMA history we have seen a dominance like that of another champion of elite level. Now you use those wins like is a bad thing, he has only fought Junior... well how many have fought him and brutally punish him like that? hell, how  many have defeated JDS?  Cain has completely destroyed the two unbeatable champions in the HW division in the UFC history ; Lesnar and JDS.   if that's not enough to consider him one of the greatest HW's he KO'd Big Nog in the first, almost murdered BigFoot in 3+ minutes KTFO him the second time around in over a min, he doesn't just defeat his opponents he crushes them.

you say you are tired Cain fans overhyping him? I think he along Demetrious are the most underhyped UFC champions (maybe Lawler recently), Cain is not a widely popular fighter, and I haven't seen yet a fan hyping Cain half as much as you hype Bisping or used to hype Wanderlei. 

yes he injures a lot and has fought only a few times in the last 4 years, but I don't see how that takes away anything from what he has accomplished.  btw Mayweather has fought only 5 times in those same 4 years, maybe hes not that great either?

end of rant.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

02.16.2015 | 3:25 PM ET

Were Lesnar and Dos Santos really 'unbeatable champions' though? I think any legitimate MMA fan knew exactly what was going to happen in that Lesnar fight. And even then, in his fight before that he got the **** kicked out of him for 5 minutes and only managed to comes back because Carwin emptied his gas tank. 

Dos Santos was far from an unbeatable champion. He beat Velasquez in a fight where Velasquez's injuries and problems throughout camp were well documented. Then in their rematch the odds were almost even. When JDS won the title he defended it once vs. Frank Mir in a fight that Frank Mir had no business being in. 

As for Cain brutalizing Bigfoot, again, an example of a fighter who had no business being in there with his opponent, but somehow he was- TWICE. Cain was a -400 favorite the first time out and a -700 favorite the second time out, and there's a reason for that.

Of course, the way Cain performed against Dos Santos in the second and third fights was impressive. He dominated him, but it was no surprise. JDS is a boxer with sub-par cardio, Cain is a wrestler who can strike with fantastic cardio. 

The HW division could not be more thin. It has tons of name-value, but how many of the big names are on what very well could be the downside of their careers? HW is the only division where when looking at the rankings I can't help but think that anyone in the top 10 shouldn't be able to beat Cain. As great as Cain is as a fighter, that's more attributed to the lack of depth in the division IMO. You look at any other division, and just about all of them are more stacked than HW. In some of them I believe on any given night, any top 10 could potentially win the belt. Not because skill-for-skill the champion isn't as good (or better) than Cain, but because skill-for-skill the division makes HW look like a joke. 

To say Cain is P4P the best, or an all-time great at HW or even just overall is absolutely ******* insane, and I've seem multiple people say exactly that. 

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune

02.16.2015 | 3:50 PM ET

Were Lesnar and Dos Santos really 'unbeatable champions' though? I think any legitimate MMA fan knew exactly what was going to happen in that Lesnar fight.......Agree

He beat Velasquez in a fight where Velasquez's injuries and problems throughout camp were well documented.....Agree again...

and I strongly believe that this supports my point.... Cain is far superior than Lesnar and JDS...2 guys that nobody could defeat, Lesnar got his **** kicked out by Overeem when he was sick, and no one has been able to defeat JDS other than Cain...this is precisely on of my points Cain has defeated the unbeatable

of course Cain is better than Bigfoot, but don't forget that Silva defeated, Overeem, Browne, Fedor and Arlovski (even if he later avenged his loss) 

As great as Cain is as a fighter, that's more attributed to the lack of depth in the division IMO. ....  i said something similar in my post.... but how is this different fmor any other time in MMA?  HW has always been the weakest division. that doesn't mean Cain is not one of the greates HW...i'm not saying the best p4p...i'm saying one of the best HW!

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

02.16.2015 | 3:53 PM ET

Mike to say Cain isn't an all time HW great just makes you ******* stupid.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

02.16.2015 | 4:31 PM ET

I think Cain has the potential to be the consensus greatest HW. But he won't because of the injuries. Fedor will still be considered number one when Cain retires. And I say this as a HUGE Cain Velasquez fan.

It really is frustrating to watch him get hurt every other month. 
GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325

02.16.2015 | 4:38 PM ET

I want to preface my prediction by saying that I feel that both Werdum and Velasquez are the two best fighters at heavyweight right now, regardless of the fact they are champion and interim champion respectively.

That being said, I think that Cain is to much of a physical powerhouse in his stand up game (he broke Dos Santos' jaw for **** sake) and he will use his amazing wrestling skills to prevent Werdum utilizing his Jujitsu and just straight up blast Werdum with punches.  I do think Werdum will be able to hold out and make it to a decision, but I think Cain is just going to brutalize Werdum for five rounds the same way he did it Dos Santos at UFC 155 and grind out a decision victory. 

* Edited at 02.16.2015, 4:39 PM ET *

"..."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

02.16.2015 | 4:43 PM ET

Cain is definitely a heavyweight great and I highly doubt he's been on roids

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Arman Tsarukyan, Diego Lopes have pay withheld, face potential discipline after UFC 300 incidents
  • Middle Easy : Jimmy Smith Brutally Rips Ronda Rousey For Accusing Joe Rogan And Media Of Turning On Her
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White trashes NBC News over reporting of Jon Jones incident with UFC drug testers
  • MMA Junkie : Benoit Saint Denis vs. Marc Diakiese grappling match headlines ADXC 4 on May 18
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Tom Aspinall is absolutely right about UFC 304; Plus, Jose Aldo’s future after UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja, Erceg Face Off In Rio
  • Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker Likes ‘The Uproar’ After Belal Muhammad Becomes Champ, Says He’ll Be ‘Enemies’ With Jiri Prochazka If ‘BJP’ Moves To 185
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Hernandez withdraws from UFC 302 due to hand injury
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez vs. Tagir Ulanbekov back on for UFC Fight Night on June 15
  • MMA Mania : Perry Suspended 60 Days Following ‘KnuckleMania 4’
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: UFC champion Ilia Topuria's current approach 'not coming off great'
  • MMAFighting.com : Charles Oliveira open to ‘big fight’ at welterweight after UFC 300 loss: ‘Why not?’
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Says Ilia Topuria Saying ‘No’ To Alexander Volkanovski And Other Top Contenders Is ‘Weird’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 commentary team, broadcast plans set: Paul Felder replaces Joe Rogan to join Daniel Cormier, Jon Anik in Brazil
  • MMAFighting.com : Tom Aspinall agrees with unhappy U.K. fans about UFC 304 start time: ‘I think it is absolutely terrible’
  • MMA Mania : Welcome To The Top 5
  • MMA Junkie : Jimmy Smith slams Ronda Rousey for saying Joe Rogan, media turned on her: 'Don't give me this victim sh*t'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant reveals she signed multi-fight deal with Misfits Boxing, but BKFC ‘will definitely see me again’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Canelo vs Munguia preview, Paul vs Tyson rules, more
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner David Onama apologizes for weight miss: 'My body gave up on me'