Topic: Pettis vs. dos Anjos

Pettis vs. dos Anjos

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,619  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

01.03.2015 | 8:52 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Pettis vs. dos Anjos. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 5

shot2thesac
shot2thesac
  • Predictions:  20,255  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,306
  • Post Score: 137

03.17.2015 | 10:32 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I would venture to guess that people who go with their gut are right 60-63% of the time.

"#KnockersSucsk -- Gaycism is wrong -- Everything is YOSSholm"

shot2thesac
shot2thesac
  • Predictions:  20,255  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,306
  • Post Score: 137

03.17.2015 | 8:45 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Did I, or did I not say, TWO Anjos are better than one?

EDIT:  ****, mikeyg got to me, now I'm gloating even though I picked the loser.

* Edited at 03.17.2015, 8:46 PM ET *

"#KnockersSucsk -- Gaycism is wrong -- Everything is YOSSholm"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

03.17.2015 | 9:24 PM ET

I wasn't surprised with Dos Anjos' win, mostly because I was never sold on Anthony Pettis being a long-reign champion. His game just has way too many holes to be exploited.

Anthony Pettis is the best kicker in the sport, no doubt about that. But kicks are easy to take away, IF the kicker is forced to constantly back up.

While his boxing might also be excellent, Pettis' boxing is primarily used to set up his kicks. His fight with dos Anjos (which I have not seen yet) could have been a showcase for Pettis' boxing, but apparently it was not meant to be.

Anthony Pettis has an excellent bottom game, but an excellent bottom game can easily be stifled with a no-risk, pressure top game.

There wasn't a single male champion in the UFC with as many glaring weaknesses as Anthony Pettis. That's why he isn't the champion anymore.

"الله أكبرl"

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

03.17.2015 | 11:08 PM ET

Prediction: correct dos Anjos   correct Decision  

Poor Anthony Pettis. Loses to the future GOAT, everyone dismisses his skillset.

What you say is true - pressure is the key to beating Pettis - but Dos Anjos might be the only guy in the division with the skillset to exploit it. No, not even Khabib: Pettis' striking is so much better than Khabib's that I honestly think that Pettis would be picking him apart even when against the fence. And Pettis has become hellishly hard to take down - the takedowns started coming because RDA was destroying him in the stand-up department, and only after Pettis was winded from a thousand body kicks and was both concussed and blind from an eye.

* Edited at 03.17.2015, 11:12 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

03.18.2015 | 3:22 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Let's see if RDA can actually beat Khabib first before we start labeling him the future GOAT. This is the first time in awhile where I think the current champion is the #2 guy in the division. Khabib looks like the champion in waiting, and RDA is just keeping the belt warm.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

03.18.2015 | 3:42 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Jones is keeping the belt warm for Humble Rumble

Lawler is keeping the belt warm for Rory MacDonald

Mighty Rat is keeping the belt warm for CeGoatJudo

Aldo is keeping the belt warm for McGoat

Cain is keeping the belt warm for Amir Aliakbari

Dos Anjos is keeping the belt warm for Khabib Nurmagomedov

Pretty much every champ is a paper champ atm in UFC.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

03.18.2015 | 4:00 AM ET

Oh and TJ ******shaw is just keeping title warm for Dominick Cruz 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

03.18.2015 | 6:52 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

If Cruz can stay uninjured.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Idrownfish
Idrownfish

03.18.2015 | 8:28 AM ET

I am joking about the future GOAT talks. Well, at least kind of. I am well aware that RDA has a long way to go to be even in the discussion, but the dude just dominated Pettis like no one has ever done before, can we at least assume that he is the best fighter in the division until Khabib fights him?

By the way, I am expecting Khabib to have a really close fight against Cerrone. I don't know who I will pick yet, but if you are expecting Nurmy to run him over I honestly think you are in for a surprise.

* Edited at 03.18.2015, 8:38 AM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

03.18.2015 | 8:47 AM ET

@Idrownfish I'm an innovator I guess cause I dismissed his skills before he lost to RDA haha. Pettis is good but not legendary good. I actually thought his punches were on point against RDA and he was able to light him up at times. The issue, which is true for both Pettis brothers, is that this "point fighting" background and style of fighting has lead them to have very little power in their hands. He has 3 TKOs via punches and none in the 7 years. IMO he has bought into this "Showtime" bs and looks too much to kick, he should have adjusted mid fight and opened up his boxing.
Idrownfish
Idrownfish

03.18.2015 | 8:59 AM ET

By the way, RDA destroying Pettis like that surprised me. A few days before the fight I said that while I believed RDA was going to win, "no one is smashing Pettis until he is 40 years old". So I am reluctant to put any kind of limit on his potential as of now. I've been a huge fan of RDA since he beat Cerrone. Picked him against Benson, Nurmy, Diaz and Pettis and he still found a way to greatly exceeded my expectations.

Huiop532
Huiop532
  • Predictions:  9,233  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,534
  • Post Score: 206

03.18.2015 | 9:36 AM ET

I've never once picked against RDA. I've only gotten one of his fights wrong; Khabib. But I was very confident he was gonna win this fight. No matter how big of an underdog he was. I knew he was gonna beat Benson, Cerrone, and Pettis. I was confident that he was gonna be Nurma, but we saw how that turned out... But still, I was very impressed with his performance, and I see him being a champ for a long time. I honestly don't see how Khabib could beat him again. 
Idrownfish
Idrownfish

03.18.2015 | 11:39 AM ET

@Huiop532 Amen.

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679

03.18.2015 | 2:07 PM ET

"can we at least assume that he is the best fighter in the division until Khabib fights him?"

@Idrownfish: We have seen RDA fight Khabib and it wasn't even close.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

Idrownfish
Idrownfish

03.18.2015 | 2:13 PM ET

...And as I said before, while that fight wasn't a fluke, it was definitely a rarity. 

EDIT: By the way, Nurmy considers the lightweight top 4 to be Cerrone, himself, Dos Anjos and Michael Johnson. That is a rather interesting point of view.

* Edited at 03.18.2015, 2:18 PM ET *

FaceStomper
FaceStomper
  • Predictions:  4,891  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,399
  • Post Score: 224

03.18.2015 | 3:22 PM ET

If RDA stuffs the takedown, he'll win, it's that simple. But sadly, that won't happen.

"You fight midgets" - Nate Diaz

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

03.18.2015 | 8:30 PM ET

@idrownfish You gave way too much credit to Anthony Pettis prior to this fight then. He was always a weak champion (like Renan Barao was), so an upset wasn't as surprising as you think it was.

But you can't go around implying that the Khabib/RDA fight was a fluke just because RDA beat Pettis. Khabib took him down what, 10 times? It was ridiculous.

"الله أكبرl"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

03.18.2015 | 8:59 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Lol @ Pettis or Barao being weak champions.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 8 hours, and 48 minutes from now.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588

03.18.2015 | 9:04 PM ET

I don't think anyone can honestly say that RDA is the #1 lightweight when Khabib did to RDA what RDA did to Pettis. 

And if RDA/Khabib is a fluke, then there's no reason to think that RDA/Pettis was any different.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

03.18.2015 | 9:05 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Pettis got hit with a bomb at the very beginning of the fight with RDA and said he couldn't see very well out of that eye the rest of the fight, and I believe him. He looked like a shell of himself.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 8 hours, and 48 minutes from now.

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Watch ‘Countdown To UFC 301’ Video
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301: How to watch Rio de Janeiro fight card, lineup, odds, preview videos, more
  • MMAFighting.com : Roundtable: What is the best UFC fight still to come in 2024?
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal Confirms $5 Mil Payday To Save UFC’s Fight Island Debut
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal Made $5 Mil To Save UFC’s Fight Island Debut
  • MMA Junkie : Paul Hughes vs. Bobby King co-headlines Bellator Champions Series: Dublin
  • Jits Magazine : New Wave Jiu-Jitsu Dominate In Enigma Invitational 15 Results
  • MMA Mania : Up Next! UFC Returns To PPV In Rio!
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Colby Covington noncommittal on ‘nobody’ Ian Machado Garry fight: ‘He has to show me he’s serious’
  • MMA Mania : Rogan: Topuria Turned Down Volk Rematch In Perth
  • MMA Mania : What’s Next For Matheus Nicolau?
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF Brazilian National Championship (Brasileiro) 2024 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Borralho Vs. Craig Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMA Mania : Inspirational Pereira ‘Not Worried’ About Legacy Talk
  • MMA Mania : White ‘Probably A Little Mad’ About McGregor BKFC Deal
  • MMAFighting.com : Jairzinho Rozenstruik plans to reconnect with ‘my real power source’ in Suriname, return against a top heavyweight
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva will keep 'unreachable' callout secret for one more fight after UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Maker After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Souza unwilling to take breaks after scoring first octagon win at UFC on ESPN 55