Topic: Holly Holm

How do you feel about her?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Last_stand
Last_stand
  • Predictions:  305  |  58.4%
  • Forum Posts:  87
  • Post Score: 86

12.01.2014 | 7:27 AM ET

Fight-wise.

I know what I think, but I wonder what everyone else sees.
She is obviously a world class striker, I would venture to say the best in WMMA. If she works as hard as her camp says she does, and being that I have no reason to doubt it, I would say that given a year or two, with a few mid-tier fights she could be ready for top 10, or even 5.

And again, if I can take her at her word, she is loving learning wrestling, but Jits is a bit more difficult for her. Just so, one can excel without an amazing sub game, and I think that she will come around to that as well.

Thoughts? Anyone else think that with a little time she could be in title contention?

"A man should be able to govern himself, based on whatever concept he sees fit."

Holly "The Preacher's Daughter" Holm

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Holly Rene Holm-Kirkpatrick
  • Pro MMA Record: 15-7-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Preacher's Daughter
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: April 13, 2024 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Bantamweight | Last Weigh-In: 136.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Jackson Wink MMA
  • Height: 5'8" (173cm) | Reach: 69.0" (175cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,600,000 USD
  • Born: United States
  • Fighting out of: Albuquerque, New Mexico
  • College: University of New Mexico
  • Foundation Style: Boxing
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

12.01.2014 | 7:30 AM ET

I feel like she has the potential to be a superstar if she develops any kind of TDD or a ground game. If she doesn't have any wrestling or ability on the mat and has to rely simply on her striking she's in for a rude awakening.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 3 hours, and 31 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.01.2014 | 7:48 AM ET

I think she's a top athlete to start off with so the grappling game won't be as hard for her to get a grasp on as others ...

I also think that with her footwork and movement she's gonna be too much for a ****load of girls, maybe even right now ...

Problem is, she most likely has a clear cut ceiling giving how old she is and who that ceiling is. Ronda isn't just a good grappler ... she a phenom, once in a generation type of person and athlete ... I feel that no matter how good Holly gets the best she can ever do is be Clyde Drexler to Ronda's Michael Jordan by no fault of her own.

That said, I'm rooting for her ... and there's always the puncher's / kicker's (in her case) chance ... she's got good enough foot movement, hand speed and technique to maybe fend Ronda off for enough time to sneak one in. *fingers crossed*

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Last_stand
Last_stand

12.01.2014 | 8:01 AM ET

I will agree that Ronda is a phenom, but I think that Holm's striking is THAT good; I think the only other person that is comperable to her is Michelle Waterson- thats another talk though. And like you said with good TDD I think that she would have a legit shot. But not if she gets taken down (at this point)
We will just have to see how she develops.

"A man should be able to govern himself, based on whatever concept he sees fit."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.01.2014 | 9:08 AM ET

Hey man, I hope you're right, though I don't really agree that Waterson's on Holly's level of striking, but I see where you're coming from.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

12.01.2014 | 9:15 AM ET

At this point she is a can crusher with a good skill set

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

12.01.2014 | 9:21 AM ET

Holm vs Eye would be entertaining

Holm vs Murphy could be fun with Murphy being tough as nails

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

12.01.2014 | 9:42 AM ET

It's going to be hard for her to develop a ground game good enough to get past some of the killers in her division. She has the misfortune of being in the same division as an olympic wrestler and an olympic judoka. As Lopati mentioned the level of competition she's faced has been poor to average at best, of her 7 wins only 2 came against girls with more wins than losses. There are some match ups that would be fun to see her in the two Lopati mentioned would both be good scraps, but if she ever breaks into the top 10 or top 5 I don't see her having the grappling skills to really make an impact unless she makes great strides in a very short amount of time. Tate, McMann, Rousey, Zingano, Alexis Davis, Amanda Nunes, Kaufman, Carmouche, Eye, Bethe. That's a tough top 10. All of which are fairly well rounded, and have fought much better competition than Holm has. IF she develops legit TDD and grappling she could be a superstar I think, as I said in my first post. If she can't keep from being taken down or grinded on she'll never break into the top 10. I'm pretty sure as of right now everyone in the top 10 would beat her.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 3 hours, and 31 minutes from now.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

12.01.2014 | 10:55 AM ET

It's in the UFC's best interest to give her the Conor McGregor rout: fight a bunch of strike first, grapple second fighters like Jessamyn Duke and Leslie Smith before feeding her to the elite grapplers in that division. Unfortunately for her, that division is stacked with elite grapplers.
hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

12.01.2014 | 11:21 AM ET

I agree with amp. She already has a big name for women's combat sports so the UFC is most likely going to give her a couple of convenient fights to get a good highlight reel for her and then she is going to be thrown in against ronda who will armbar her in the first. She is certainly one of the more talented women on paper but the downside that she has is that everyone is going to know exactly what she is going to do so unless she gets up to speed in a hurry, she isn't going to fare too well against the grapplers of the division and without that, she will just be another face in the crowd.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

12.01.2014 | 7:06 PM ET

I would think that McMann would have a tough time getting her down as this is MMA wrestling and not the amateur sport.  Ronda would probably toss her but then would need to get close and possibly eat a shot or two.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

12.01.2014 | 9:01 PM ET

Yeah, I somehow don't think a silver medalist in Olympic wrestling would have an issue taking down someone who has never wrestled at any level, ever. Rousey would take her arm in under a minute.
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

12.01.2014 | 9:06 PM ET

I feel she should make me a sammich!

* Edited at 12.01.2014, 9:07 PM ET *

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

12.01.2014 | 9:24 PM ET

She'd make you a sandwich alright.  A ******' knuckle sandwich.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

12.01.2014 | 9:48 PM ET

I don't think that she's as new to the ground game as some of you imply.  I'm not saying she's great, or even good, but she has been training at Jackson/Wink since she was 16 or 17 (and yeah, I know it was mainly striking, but still, you don't spend that much time at one of the best MMA gyms around and not do a little grappling).  That being said, I think her ceiling is nearer the bottom of the top 10, but she will get a title shot at some point.

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

12.02.2014 | 7:38 AM ET

Maybe she will surprise some people.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

12.02.2014 | 7:45 AM ET

I'm not sold on her ground game at all but she's definitely going to get the Conor McGregor treatment.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

Last_stand
Last_stand

12.02.2014 | 1:08 PM ET

Ive gone back and re watched her fights, and I think that while she may not be an elite grappler, I think she is strong enough to ward off most take downs, and while there are great ones in the division, Id say mcmann and rousey are the ones that can take down people. Even ones that are supposed to be great IE Tate, kauffman carmouche ect I don't think are good enough to do that.

And most of them have not stood with anyone her level or with her power for that matter. Will she be champ? I would like to think so.

Will she be great. Not a doubt in my mind.

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

12.02.2014 | 1:10 PM ET

You have to take into consideration that in those fights you're watching she's fighting mostly girls with .500 or below records. She has two wins against girls with winning records. She's never been truly tested.
Last_stand
Last_stand

12.02.2014 | 2:20 PM ET

Fair enough. Tests to come and more to follow. I look forward to it, one way or the other

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m definitely going to sue Canelo for defamation’: De La Hoya responds
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: 5 questions (and answers) before boxing showdown
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 2-4
  • MMA Mania : Mexican Merab Has UF-Si Challenge For ‘Suga’
  • Middle Easy : Kamaru Usman and Henry Cejudo Offer Their Condolences to Francis Ngannou, Preview Jose Aldo’s UFC 301 Return
  • MMA Junkie : Caio Borralho plans to KO Paul Craig at UFC 301, avenge fellow Brazilians: 'I love this matchup'
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexander Volkanovski declares Jose Aldo the featherweight GOAT
  • MMA Mania : Co-op Live Cancelation Chaos!
  • MMA Junkie : Demetrious Johnson aspires to 'box a legend of the sport,' not a fellow MMA fighter
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 304 adds Arnold Allen vs. Giga Chikadze to Manchester lineup
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Steve Erceg, Caio Borralho, UFC 301 Predictions
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Page trains with ‘beast’ Khamzat Chimaev
  • MMA Junkie : Alessandro Costa motivated to see former rival Steve Erceg fight for UFC title
  • MMA Mania : UFC 302 Poster Drops For ‘Makhachev Vs Poirier’
  • MMAFighting.com : Between the Links: Ryan Garcia, Jose Aldo’s return at UFC 301, Mike Perry shines again, Paul vs. Tyson sanctioned
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Between the Links LIVE NOW
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo's coach predicts brutal knockout over Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : ‘Destroyer’ Draws Two-Year Prison Sentence
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski: Ilia Topuria 'not going about things the right way' as UFC champion
  • MMAFighting.com : This Is CineMMA, ‘Mais Forte que o Mundo’: Is this even a Jose Aldo movie?