Topic: Jon Fitch

Jon Fitch New Attitude On Title Shot?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

11.15.2010 | 12:05 PM ET

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/11/fitch-has-new-attitude-about-ufc-title-shot.html

“I’m not going to cry about it,” said Fitch. “If I’ve failed to convince the UFC, Dana White, and the fans that I’m overwhelmingly the No. 1 contender and that I absolutely should be fighting for the belt, then I take that as my own responsibility. It’s my own fault. If people are dissatisfied, then I’m going to correct that.”

Fitch said he’s had to come to terms with how he’s been perceived as a fighter up to this point.

“It kind of was a little bit of a recent revelation [for me],” said Fitch, who’s gone the distance nine times during his 13-1 run in the promotion. “There wasn’t an overwhelming rush of support after the Alves fight. That was kind of eye-opening. I handily beat the No. 3 [fighter] in the world, and people are still not willing to thrust me into competition with GSP. Something’s missing.”

Fitch said he hasn’t thought of himself as a commodity in the past, though that’s quickly changing.

“It comes down to making money,” he said. “If they don’t think they can make money off you, then they’re not going to give you those fights.”

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

Jon Fitch

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Jonathan Parker Fitch
  • Pro MMA Record: 32-8-2, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: N/A
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: September 12, 2020 in BFC
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 170.5 lbs
  • Affiliation: American Kickboxing Academy
  • Height: 6'0" (183cm) | Reach: 74.0" (188cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,094,000 USD
  • Born: Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
  • Fighting out of: San Jose, California
  • Head Coach: Bob Cook
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

lilspyder
lilspyder
  • Predictions:  32,913  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  288
  • Post Score: 100

02.24.2011 | 8:47 AM ET

Kokid your right that he isn't an exciting fighter, and Jon talks about how he isn't one either. That's why picking him may be a risky thing because he was saying how he needed to learn how to finish more people so he can be exciting. Now this may translate into some different things being thrown in the fight, or just him talking about it, but you never know. Finally you have to admit one thing though, he is SO DOMINANT, I mean his only loss in the ufc is to GSP and he's fought 14 times! what kind of insanity is that! Now I still agree he needs to pull off something spectacular but it's as simple as him perfecting his rear naked choke. I mean he talked about this too, how he can take people's back but then he stalls cause he can't finish from there. If he perfects that, it will make him as exciting as bj or kenny florian because they both love the rare naked.

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

02.24.2011 | 9:07 AM ET

@lilspyder... Its not gona start on saturday no way fitch is getting bj with rnc .... Hope BJ kills him so the ufc doesnt have to be in the predicament of whether or not to give fitch another shot.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

02.24.2011 | 9:40 AM ET

I mean a fight is a fight, he has been fighting top talent, finishing fights isnt easy. But with the top control fitch is capable of, it kills me to see him not advance postion and try for submissions. I highly doubt he will finish penn, as very few people in the world can do it at any weight class. This is a toss up fight, both can win, i really think BJ's BJJ will be the x-factor...i hope.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

02.24.2011 | 11:11 AM ET

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Pros-Pick-Penn-vs-Fitch-30385check out the Pro's Pick's including mine 

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

02.24.2011 | 11:20 AM ET

@kokid, i didnt know you were actually him, awesome to have some pros here with us normies! I also agree with your assesment of the fight, but I so want BJ to pull off the upset.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Kokid951
Kokid951

02.24.2011 | 11:24 AM ET

thanks man! good to be here :-) but yea i'd love to just see a finish in this fight! so of course bj has the skill to do so but a good wrestler is a bad style for him

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.24.2011 | 3:48 PM ET

Well to make it clear I wasn't saying Fitch would start by submitting BJ this weekend, but how epic would that be if he did though?! Lol that should be automatic no. 1 contender status, but what I was trying to say was he does have a black belt under Dave Camarillo, a great bjj coach no doubt, and he should prove it by getting a couple of subs for sure. I mean he has amazing top control, convert that into finishes. Honestly he should have just as many finishes as jake shields because their styles are very similar for sure.

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

Kokid951
Kokid951

02.24.2011 | 7:41 PM ET

lilspyder i agree comepletely with you!

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

02.24.2011 | 7:46 PM ET

You guys keep giving me good points, and I agree with them.. but my gut keeps telling me to pick BJ!

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

02.24.2011 | 7:48 PM ET

Fitch is an animal. I hope he starts putting together some finishes, but BJ is a bad place to start. Him winning the title is inevitable at this point, if GSP beats Shields, he'll move up, vacate his title, and Fitch will grab it. If Shields (somehow) beats GSP, then Fitch will beat Shields (this is a pick i am 100% confident in. Jon is 2-1 against Shields in pure grappling I think, and his two wins were their two most recent matches. Not to mention Fitch would work him on the feet.)

"We Are All One"

Team Tanner
Team Tanner
  • Predictions:  410  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  85
  • Post Score: 67

02.24.2011 | 8:13 PM ET

I hope Fitch wins this fight convincingly!

"Believe, in the power of one" - Evan Tanner

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.24.2011 | 8:21 PM ET

Minotauro nice work on the stats about grappling. I saw the event where Shields beat Fitch but not the other two, and I would agree that Fitch will become the WW champion once GSP goes up, i will never say that shields will beat GSP ever, sorry too much national pride running in that one. As for Tacoma, I'm not trying to move you over to the Fitch side of the argument just saying why he's got the stuff to beat BJ. Now just to keep you happy, every analyst has picked BJ to win this fight because he's got the right tools to negate fitch's wrestling and better jits on the ground, and he's got better boxing. So on paper BJ got's the stuff, what you can't measure though is Fitch's heart and grinder mentality. Plus BJ is a great jits guy, from the top, most of his finishes has come from him being on the top and transitioning to the back. So couple that with the fact that Fitch will definetely have the size over BJ to stay on top this will be another 3 rounder decision win for 'Long' Jon Fitch (oh yeah we're going with that for his nickname!)

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

02.24.2011 | 8:28 PM ET

Lol no worries Spyder.

Look at my posts from a few days ago and I was picking Fitch. Simply had a feeling and went with it. I think BJ can do it, but i'm about 50/50 right now.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.28.2011 | 4:22 AM ET

well seems like we were both right tacom :p

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : IBJJF San Jose Spring Open 2024 Produces Entertaining Highlights
  • Jits Magazine : 20 BJJ Basics, Concepts And Philosophy You Must Know
  • Bad Left Hook : Charlo finally stripped of WBC middleweight title, Adames elevated
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Dana White Busts FedEX Driver In NYC
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Denies Receiving Contract Offer for Ian Garry Fight: ‘He’s Trying to Get Clickbait’
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Paid More in Taxes Than He Made From Fighting in the UFC Last Year
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 7: Jose Aldo returns to top 10
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Details Impromptu Wrestling Match with Alex Pereira, Weighs in on Potential Fight Between ‘Poatan’ and Jon Jones
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal 2 shifted to July 6, avoids UFC 302 conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Report: Jermall Charlo arrested for DWI after crashing car
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal-Diaz 2 Delayed To Avoid Scheduling Conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington denies contract offer for Ian Machado Garry: 'This fight has not been presented'
  • MMA Mania : Sticking Around! ‘This Is The Best I’ve Felt’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Naoya Inoue taking on Gervonta Davis
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Inoue facing Tank
  • MMA Junkie : Saudi Arabia announces extended partnership with UFC, including pay-per-view sponsorship
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler adds undefeated prospect to lineup
  • MMA Mania : ‘What I’m Going To Do To McGregor Is Going To Warrant’ Retirement
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’