Topic: Alistair Overeem

More potential than JDS?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

keanuyu
keanuyu
  • Predictions:  1,956  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  17
  • Post Score: -6

03.31.2014 | 8:53 PM ET

I'm a HUGE JDS fan but I honestly think that Overeem has more potential than him. He may not have a chin as good as JDS' but i think overall, with some improvement with his cardio, he has more potential to beat Cain and become a champion or a top contender in the heavyweight division. Besides, Cain will make a big mistake trying to clinch Overeem. He'll just eat knees.
Alistair "The Demolition Man" Overeem

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Alistair Cees Overeem
  • Pro MMA Record: 47-19-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Demolition Man
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: February 06, 2021 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 255.5 lbs
  • Affiliation: N/A
  • Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Reach: 80.0" (203cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $4,539,999 USD
  • Born: Hounslow, England
  • Fighting out of: Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

03.31.2014 | 9:00 PM ET

I agree that cardio/chin aside he's a better fit than JDS to beat Cain.  If you don't take Cain out early, good luck.

But since they are an issue, he would need to get to and win the title with first, at worst second, round stoppages.

* Edited at 03.31.2014, 9:01 PM ET *

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

03.31.2014 | 9:08 PM ET

It's really close in my opinion. I think Overeem is better but just has more of those glaring weaknesses that even it out. He's obviously got the power advantage but JDS is quite a bit smarter, fight IQ wise. Junior's probably a lot more durable or at least tougher mentally under extreme pressure although he can be broken, we saw that.

I'd like to see it down the road somewhere. I'd bet that both guy's can win fights that the other can't too.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

03.31.2014 | 11:30 PM ET

Jaw is the biggest difference.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

03.31.2014 | 11:43 PM ET

I think that Silva fight reopened his bad chin. I looked at Reem's kickboxing and MMA record, 2008 until the Silva fight, he got (T)KO'd once by Badr Hari and didn't get KO'd in MMA since 2007.

But before that he was getting KO'd left and right. Could also just be age/you can only take so many punches before the chin goes.

Happened to Anderson Silva. Can happen to anyone.

But yeah. JDS can take a 5 round beating and not lose consciousness. Even the Cain TKO was more because of exhaustion than because he lost consciousness.
zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

04.01.2014 | 12:07 AM ET

JDS recently turned 30. Overeem is about to be 34. We're talking about potential? Potential has already been met. Having said that, Cain's biggest obstacle at HW is currently himself. Persistent injuries are the ruination of many fighters, hopefully Cain's skills do not succumb to this fate. 

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

04.01.2014 | 1:05 AM ET

Overeem never had the fluidity, speed, heart, chin or takedown defense of Junior. Say  you want but I always thought.JDS had the.more potential and athleticism to Reem. Reem got too.big and clunky, I enjoyed him at 205 more and if he would of stopped at 235-245 instead of 260-280 I think.he could of been better.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

04.01.2014 | 4:15 AM ET

Speed kills. Overeem may be the better all-around striker, but heart, chin (which I claim is a subsequent of heart) and speed will always be on JDS' side.

As for potential, I think that at their ages they've both more or less tapped the heights of their potentials.

* Edited at 04.01.2014, 4:35 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

TheTnuggs
TheTnuggs
  • Predictions:  2,963  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  667
  • Post Score: 197

04.01.2014 | 7:17 AM ET

Overeem can't take cain.  Cains chin is too good and so is his cardio.  Overeems to muscular to keep Cains pace for more then a round or two, and with Overeems chin I can see Cain putting him out on his feet, never mind the takedowns, in the third round.  Overeem has absolutely nothing for someone like Cain.  As for JDS on the other hand,  Overeem may be a better "all-around striker" but I firmly believe JDS has better boxing.  That being said if Overeem uses his size and pushes JDS up against the cage and uses his Muay Thai he'd have a chance to pull a decision, but as long as JDS kept it at range in the middle of the octagon Overeem is getting put to sleep again.  Overeem had way to much hype going into the UFC and it showed.  I dont think the loses against Bigfoot or Brown were luck, they exploited a obvious hole in his game.  The Overeem/Lesner build of a heavyweight(265 and cut) may look cool but cant compete with guys like JDS and Cain who have more efficient builds.

"As swift as wind, as silent as forest, as fierce as fire, as unshakeable as mountain"

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679

04.01.2014 | 12:18 PM ET

I think JDS beats Overeem in a fight between the two. That a fight that I've wanted to see for awhile regardless.

However, now the OP has me thinking about a fight between Cain/Overeem and I really want to see that too. With Cain trying to nullify Overeem's reach by clinching with him.  

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588

04.01.2014 | 4:40 PM ET

The only way to beat Cain is to finish him out in the first few minutes. Werdum probably has the best chance, but it would have to be with a quick SUB when they're both fresh and dry.

* Edited at 04.01.2014, 4:40 PM ET *

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

04.01.2014 | 5:46 PM ET

Reem? No. Travis Browne? Possibly. If Cain shoots a double leg on him and winds up digging for it while Hapa is pressed against the fence Cain may wake up without the belt. 

That spot is imminent death against Travis Browne
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 10 hours, and 7 minutes from now.
Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

04.01.2014 | 6:20 PM ET

Imminent death?  Yamasaki say imminent DQ!

* Edited at 04.01.2014, 6:20 PM ET *

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Raw video: Max Holloway's BMF-ness, Conor's first belt and more UFC legendary moments – without commentary
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Amanda Ribas details recent stalker encounter: ‘He was telling people I was his wife’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC Announces Date And Location For Amateur World Championship 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins