Topic: Gustafsson vs. Hamill

Gustafsson vs. Hamill Predictions

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,730  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,617
  • Post Score: 60

07.16.2011 | 5:43 PM ET

Prediction: correct Gustafsson   wrong Decision  

This is the official prediction commentary thread for Gustafsson vs. Hamill. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 4

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

08.05.2011 | 3:36 PM ET

Prediction: correct Gustafsson   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 2  

still dont see hammill surviving

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

08.05.2011 | 3:45 PM ET

Prediction: correct Gustafsson   wrong Submission   correct Round 2  

I'm still on The Mauler's band wagon and Matt is a great story, just over-rated fighter.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

08.05.2011 | 4:33 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hamill   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

This is a close one for me. May switch.

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

08.05.2011 | 7:10 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hamill   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I think hamill might wrestle to a late tko

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Kalibo
Kalibo

08.05.2011 | 7:12 PM ET

I don't see it @Pierce.  It looks like Matt has digressed to me.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

08.06.2011 | 2:18 AM ET

Hamill's tendency to ignore his wrestling and stay on the feet, and the TDD Gustafsson showed against Phil Davis combined with the fact that he's been training with Davis, both individually aren't enough to confirm to me that this fight will remain a stand-up fight. However, combine the two pieces of information, and it seems pretty likely that this will be entirely a stand-up fight.

Having said that, I don't think Gustafsson's TDD is that sure of a thing. He was taken down by Te Huna. Also, lots of people are saying that since he defended Phil Davis' takedowns, and Davis > Hamill in wrestling, he should be able to defend Hamill's takedowns. I don't think that's the best point, because Davis and Hamill are like opposites in the striking department. Davis is extremely cautious and can seem afraid to strike, whereas Hamill is crazy aggressive and seems eager to strike. It should be easier to get the takedown if it's mixed with striking. That said, Hamill hasn't shown the specific ability to mix striking and takedowns well, like say, Rashad Evans has.

Were the fight to stay standing in its entirity, most people would pick Gustafsson in a heartbeat, but I'm still not sure. While Gustafsson may be able to keep the fight standing, he still has to fight while being prepared to defend the takedown. Then look at his fight with Jared Hamman. Hamman was extremely aggressive at the start of the fight, backed up Gustafsson against the cage an landed a couple of times, but the tide turned when Hamman got hit himself. Hammill is also extremely aggressive, but also has a great chin.

If Hamill's able to get the takedown, I think his chances of winning are much greater. I wouldn't expect him to be submitted. Therefore, I just think Hamill has more ways to win: He will win if he gets the takedown, and he has a good chance even if he doesn't. It's still a tough fight to call. I think Hamill's the better bet, being the underdog, at one point going as high as +193. But not considering the odds, I'm more inclined to pick Gustafsson. My pick is still Hamill, although it may change.

Edit: I actually think the keys to victory for Gustafsson are his chin and cardio. If he can take Hamill's punches, and be fresher than him in the second half of the fight, he could win a decision. I do see the fight being a decision either way. That is unless I've drastically underestimated how good of a striker Gustafsson is.

* Edited at 08.06.2011, 2:28 AM ET *

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

jersey0525
jersey0525

08.06.2011 | 2:49 AM ET

great post @gio!

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

08.06.2011 | 4:54 AM ET

I think it will be a close fight whatever happens..

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

AnthonyBrancato
AnthonyBrancato
  • Predictions:  9,844  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  642
  • Post Score: 58

08.06.2011 | 6:35 AM ET

Prediction: correct Gustafsson   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Interestingly most of the money has come in on Hamill, as the odds favoring Gustafsson have dropped steadily - Gustafsson is now trending around -180 after a consensus opening of like -210.

"MMA Fan Since Season 2 Of The Ultimate Fighter"

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

08.06.2011 | 10:46 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Hamill   wrong Decision  

Wrestling is the difference.

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

08.06.2011 | 5:18 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hamill   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Tough call. Think Hamill catches him with something big.

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

08.06.2011 | 5:19 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Hamill   wrong Decision  

I really wanna see Hamill win!

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

08.06.2011 | 6:01 PM ET

Prediction: correct Gustafsson   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Body shot tko for Gustafsson

"We Are All One"

jersey0525
jersey0525

08.06.2011 | 6:10 PM ET

specific!!i like that @mino! only problem is it'll b a head kick/ knee in the 2nd

MMApicker42
MMApicker42
  • Predictions:  4,050  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,828
  • Post Score: 131

08.06.2011 | 6:14 PM ET

Hamill is now a UFC Gatekeeper and Gustafsson is breaking through as an MMA fighter
Kalibo
Kalibo

08.06.2011 | 7:49 PM ET

Beautiful description... I agree.

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

08.06.2011 | 8:29 PM ET

i always root for hamill but i think age his caught up to him and his TD's are telegraphed and i see gustafsson as the younger more determined fighter.
Kalibo
Kalibo

08.06.2011 | 9:04 PM ET

I wish we got points for pickign the right round.... ... ....

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

08.06.2011 | 10:01 PM ET

when they got five rounds maybe we will. the main event ones coming up.
ONE HIT QUIT
ONE HIT QUIT
  • Predictions:  15,701  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  362
  • Post Score: 165

08.07.2011 | 1:40 AM ET

Dan M. let that fight go longer than it needed, it was apparent Hamill was done once he hit the ground.

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241's Vinicius Salvador guarantees first-round KO of Adrian Yanez: 'Write it down'
  • Middle Easy : Tim Welch Rates Mike Tyson’s Chances vs. Jake Paul: ‘Early On, He’s Gonna Be Scary’
  • MMA Mania : Barboza The BMF? ‘Who Has Better Highlight KOs Than Me?’
  • MMAFighting.com : Ring announcer Dan Hennessy retiring after viral screw up: ‘No longer the world’s punching bag’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Only Mancunian' Lerone Murphy appreciates full circle moment, crosses fingers for UFC 304
  • MMAFighting.com : Cédric Doumbé: Anthony Pettis fight ‘99 percent’ a done deal
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Mark Hulme | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veteran Edson Barboza calls for BMF title fight vs. Max Holloway: 'I think I deserve that'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC matchmaker sends emphatic message to prospects hoping to get noticed and signed 
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC FPI 7 Highlights, Streaming Results | Rod vs. Fowler
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Robert Valentin | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Guillermo Torres | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Mairon Alves | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Mania : Strickland Claims ‘Pea Brain’ Paulo Has ‘Yet To Sign Contract’
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury calls father John ‘a promoter’s dream’ after viral headbutt on Oleksandr Usyk team
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland says Paulo Costa yet to sign UFC 302 contract: 'You're being a weak f*cking man'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘No harm intended’: John Fury reacts to headbutt at press event
  • MMA Junkie : Rafael dos Anjos requests to be removed from UFC lightweight rankings, eyes welterweight return in July
  • MMAFighting.com : Till targets quick knockout of Chavez Jr., then plans ‘to bring influencer boxing to an end’
  • MMA Mania : Respect Me Like You Respect O’Malley