Tapology Forums

Bas Rutten: Aldo Is The Best, Pettis Should Of Got The DEC Victory...

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

07.15.2011 | 11:55 PM ET

http://fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Bas-Rutten-looks-back-on-Kimbo,-talks-GSP,-Fedor,-Aldo-calls-for-new-weight-class.html
Bas Rutten on JOSE ALDO

Quote:
ne man that represents that evolution is Jose Aldo, whom Rutten personally says is the best fighter in MMA.

"I think because his striking is so freaking similar to Ramon Dekkers', the best Thai boxer in the world pound for pound. I just like him because he's just so incredibly powerful with his strikes and on the ground, from what I understand, an even bigger nightmare. And he's just so close to Ramon Dekkers' striking style and I've admired that guy my whole life."

Aldo sports a 19-1 record and is a three-time defending UFC featherweight champion with a balanced striking and grappling skills. Gone are the days where Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was as foreign as the name Gracie, the sport has never been bigger with its athletes fluent in all aspects of MMA. Among the disciplines utilized, wrestling has been proven to be one of the more effective styles. Four of the six UFC champions have a wrestling base or have utilized their wrestling as a key to their victory. One issue that has become more apparent, nearly absent in Rutten's era is the "lay and pray strategy" that is almost infamously tied with wrestling.

On Why Pettis should of got the nod over Guida (Bas Talks Lay n pray)
Quote:
The issue reared its ugly head once again during the Clay Guida and Anthony Pettis bout at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale just last month. Despite numerous submission attempts, Pettis was unable to stop Guida who effectively controlled Pettis en route to a unanimous decision victory. Rutten has previously stated through his twitter that he believed that Pettis won the fight since he was the busier of the two fighters, constantly trying to end the fight with submission attempts.

"You know, we are programmed now because if you see a guy moving on top and controlling a guy then you say, 'Okay, this guy who's going to win, he's the dominant guy.' In boxing if this guy is attacking for 12 rounds, constantly attacking, and only lands a few big bombs and the other guy's pretty much constantly on the defense and he lands a few bombs also but nothing major, the judges at the end, the guy who was the aggressor, the guy who was working is going to win," Rutten told MMA Fight Corner presented by FiveKnuckles.com.

"So now we need to bring that concept to the ground. Pettis was constantly attacking with submissions and I think that should count for something. Maybe there should be a rule where a fighter takes you down and doesn't go for big blows or looks to knock his opponent out, cause otherwise he would get submitted, then they should at least not count the take down. But there should be some different rules I think. A lot of those judges never wrestled or took submission classes in their lives. So they don't know what it is. They need really good well trained guys who are judges who know the game."

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Responses

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

07.16.2011 | 12:00 AM ET

Gotta love Bas...I agree with him about Aldo being the best and hope he gets a chance to be the first man in UFC history with 2 belts at once...And get the shot at a 3rd!!!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

07.16.2011 | 12:00 AM ET

i have a solution. bas rutten should replace cecil peoples as a judge.
BodyModifier
BodyModifier

07.16.2011 | 12:22 AM ET

There's like 4 pages to the article I think. I just didn't copy and paste the whole thing.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

07.16.2011 | 12:25 AM ET

@body how can you expect us to read all that!?!!! :)

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,422  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

07.16.2011 | 3:40 AM ET

Bas is so knowledgeable about mma they should bring him in as acommentator or judge.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

krazyhopz
krazyhopz
  • Predictions:  14,820  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,098
  • Post Score: 158

07.16.2011 | 3:54 AM ET

bas is the best...i usually agree with him about anything mma related. i wouldn't argue against aldo being the best but i still think anderson and gsp are better. but its really splitting hairs, they're all phenomal fighters

i don't really agree with the pettis thing, lay n pray isn't exciting to watch. and i can't pretend that it is. but if u are in a fight and another guy is holding you down and controlling you, i can't see how you are winning.

i think there is more of an arguement that miguel torres might have won his fight against mighty mouse than there is that pettis beat guida...imo

"Everyone has a gameplan 'till they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

07.16.2011 | 6:19 AM ET

lol SC. I know it's a novel! 

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

07.16.2011 | 7:01 AM ET

I saw Inside MMA with Bas talking about Pettis, and I can see his point, but the fighters know that being on top looks favourable in the judges eyes. Party on.

"I Get Better."

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

07.16.2011 | 7:32 AM ET

While I understand and agree with Bas' frustration, like boxing, the MMA scoring system isn't perfect, but it's what we have. There are decisions all the time that I don't agree with, and there are fighters that I'm not a fan of because of the LnP tactic, but what this tells me is that, most fighters need to learn how to round out their entire fight game better. Chuck Liddell is a classic example of an exciting fighter who rounded out his fight game to keep the fight where he felt he was best. For those fighters that are tired of LnP, take a page out of Liddell's book. Otherwise, you're going to find yourself at the end of a lot of disappointing decisions, until or unless they change the MMA scoring system.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

07.16.2011 | 1:57 PM ET

I love Bas, but I also love Clay Guida. What am I supposed to think! =/

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

07.17.2011 | 2:32 PM ET

you can like both fighters.
R1zla
R1zla
  • Predictions:  22,459  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,656
  • Post Score: 191

07.17.2011 | 2:34 PM ET

@wolf ... NO YOU CAN'T! ... wait... this isn't Sherdog .... as you were lol

"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer"

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

07.17.2011 | 2:37 PM ET

Wait, since when can we have gifs as avatars?  Or was their an exception made because @r1zla's is so bad ass!?

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

R1zla
R1zla

07.17.2011 | 2:42 PM ET

@gloom, lol thanks ... i was testing something for greg and he said i could leave it to see how it goes, so i guess it would be ok

post above mine here
http://www.tapology.com/forum/open/49884-UFC_Champ_Jon_Jones___There_s_A_Lot_Of_Things_I_Ca?page=1#post-50186

(would of posted link straight to greg's post but couldn't access his page due to known site issues)

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

07.17.2011 | 2:43 PM ET

soon the message boards will look like vegas.
R1zla
R1zla

07.17.2011 | 2:58 PM ET

funnily enough i was just thinking that when i went to my progile page, i know they're all the same on there but still it looks a bit strange... can just imagine when they're all different, running at diff times etc

i'd happily go back to still images, i'm not the gif avatars advocate or anything lol

* Edited at 07.17.2011, 3:07 PM ET *

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,720  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

07.17.2011 | 4:08 PM ET

@wolf i agree strongly about bas replacing cecil in an instant even tho i had guida winning that fight.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

07.19.2011 | 7:23 PM ET

I think some of the  early fighters should try to become judges. they most likely would be better than we got now.
SoccerKick
SoccerKick

07.19.2011 | 7:27 PM ET

I'm gonna say Bas makes way more money as a commentator then he would as a judge...and no way he'd be able to keep his job if he took a spot judging

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,720  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

07.19.2011 | 7:40 PM ET

Why couldnt he keep his job and be a judge? Im confused

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘He put you in position’: Vergil Hunter explains why Spence should pay former trainer his worth
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He put you in position’: Vergil Hunter explains why Errol Spence should pay Derrick James his worth
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier adds short-notice debutant Mitch Raposo
  • MMA Mania : Mouthy Mac Warned To ‘Be Careful’ With Khabib Critique
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier stars in new Bud Light commercial ahead of UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor adopts 'cold in the soul' approach, won't fight with animosity in UFC return
  • MMAFighting.com : Husband and coach of UFC fighter arrested for alleged sexual abuse of child
  • MMA Mania : Finalized! UFC Saudi Arabia Fight Card, ABC Lineup
  • MMA Junkie : Mitch Raposo steps into UFC 302 for debut vs. Andre Lima
  • MMA Junkie : Stamp Fairtex out of ONE 167 due to injury, scheduled ONE 168 champ vs. champ bout in question
  • UFC.com : Islam Makhachev’s Career Highlights | Title Wins To Best Finishes
  • MMA Junkie : Justin Gaethje credits fight style for his bigger UFC paydays
  • UFC.com : Flyweight Thriller Between Alex Perez And Tatsuro Taira Headlines At UFC APEX
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Sound & Pound — Who’s Next For Mix And Murphy?
  • UFC.com : UFC Lightweight Title Lineage
  • MMA Mania : Brennan Arrested For Alleged Sexual Abuse
  • Bad Left Hook : Fisher vs Babic headlines July 6 NXTGEN show
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO president compares Dana White to NBA’s David Stern when it comes to building superstars
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Leon Edwards welcomes Conor McGregor title defense: 'That needs to happen'
  • Bad Left Hook : Davies, Heaney, Cameron highlight July 20 Magnificent Seven show