Topic: Jon Jones

Jon Jones says his division is ‘healthy,’ but targeting Cain Velasquez fight

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,753  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,783
  • Post Score: 273

11.24.2013 | 9:24 PM ET

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/24/ufc-champ-jon-jones-says-his-division-healthy-but-targeting-cain-velasquez-fight/

“I think that’s going to happen in the next two years,” he said. “I’ll go up to heavyweight permanently. I’m looking to take a super fight sooner or later, within the next year.

“I’ve really been thinking about me and Cain Velasquez going at it. I think that would be huge for the sport. He’s definitely the toughest guy in the division and he’s not that big, so I think it would be a really entertaining fight. So don’t be surprised if you see that sooner or later.”

This would be amazing, I'm not even sure who I'd pick to win but Cain is just a monster. I'd probably go with him. It's early but I'll start a poll here. Ups for Jon Jones and downs for Cain Velasquez

* Edited at 11.24.2013, 9:25 PM ET *

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Jon "Bones" Jones

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Jonathan Dwight Jones
  • Pro MMA Record: 27-1-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Bones
  • Current Streak: 18 Wins
  • Last Fight: March 04, 2023 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 248.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Jackson Wink MMA
  • Height: 6'4" (194cm) | Reach: 84.5" (215cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $4,568,000 USD
  • Born: Rochester, New York, United States
  • Fighting out of: Albuquerque, New Mexico
  • Head Coach: Greg Jackson
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,395  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

11.24.2013 | 9:26 PM ET

Jon Jones says his division is ‘healthy,’ but targeting suicide in 2014.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

11.24.2013 | 10:16 PM ET

If anything, Jones vs. Gus and Cain vs. JDS II & III proved Cain would steamroll Jones.

Jones proved he's beatable in the Gus fight and Cain proved how dominant he can be in both fights against a natural heavyweight and one of the best heavyweights in the world in JDS.
CONDIT729
CONDIT729
  • Predictions:  4,116  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,500
  • Post Score: 165

11.24.2013 | 10:20 PM ET

Cain would smash Jones, but that would be an awesome fight and the build up would be awesome!!!

"I'm coming in your backyard and I'm gonna **** you up" -Carlos Condit

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

11.24.2013 | 11:45 PM ET

This would not be an awesome fight, it would be a hilarious fight. Not competitive in the least. Cain via total annihilation.

Also, @grizz Gus proved a guy with length will give Jones fits, Cain doesn't have length, so basically Gus had nothing to do with how a Cain/Jones fight would go.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

11.24.2013 | 11:48 PM ET

It would be very interesting to see Cain against such a well rounded fighter. Most of the guys he has beaten are fairly one dimensional fighters considering the level they are on. That being said, I do believe that Jones striking is probably better and their wrestling is similar but I have to believe that Cain is significantly stronger. It would be an awesome fight and probably the only viable superfight right now with two dominant champs
CONDIT729
CONDIT729
  • Predictions:  4,116  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,500
  • Post Score: 165

11.24.2013 | 11:56 PM ET

So would you think Jones vacates the belt and Glover fights someone else for the vacant title? 

"I'm coming in your backyard and I'm gonna **** you up" -Carlos Condit

hiblet
hiblet

11.25.2013 | 12:10 AM ET

Since cain is a smaller heavyweight and jones is planning on moving up, I would guess that it might be something like a 215 catchweight that way neither title is on the line. either that, or jones gets a couple test fights at HW and then challenges for the belt
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

11.25.2013 | 12:36 AM ET

Now that's what I call a SuperFight!  My money would be on Cain, but Jones would be his sternest test to date.

It would be the biggest fight in UFC history and if they loaded it with other killer match-ups, it might break their PPV record.  

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

edwinx1903
edwinx1903

11.25.2013 | 1:23 AM ET

@zarog "Jones proved he's beatable in the Gus fight..."

Do I need to breakdown why I mentioned the Gus fight? I basically just mentioned it because if anything or for whatever reason that it was, that fight proved that Jones is beatable like I said before and it put down the talk of him being unbeatable that was going around.

@Bill Burgess A bit of an overreaction?

So far Lesnar vs. Randy is the biggest fight in the history of the UFC.

Neither Cain or Jones are as famous as Lesnar was due to his pro-wrestling background and Randy was the top UFC heavyweight and a top UFC light heavyweight, already a UFC hall of famer and one of the biggest, most well known names in MMA.

Only Lesnar vs. Fedor or Anderson vs. St. Pierre would be a bigger fight than Lesnar vs. Randy.

Unless Cain or Jones has a run in the WWE and hits The Rock with a steel chair and beats John Cena in a lumberjack match, there's no way either one of these guys can make a bigger fight than Lesnar vs. Randy. Yes, Lesnar's pro-wrestling background history had that much of an impact on his MMA drawing power.
hiblet
hiblet

11.25.2013 | 1:31 AM ET

lesnars pro wrestling definitely drove his stock way way up, but this sport is significantly different now than it was five years ago. Randy wasn't being regularly talked about on sportscenter. Although it would be very hard to beat that fight in terms of drawing power, it anyone could do it right now it would be jon. GSP could as well, but it seems pretty unlikely that he will be doing any superfights therefore the drawing power for his fights is going to be based solely on on him rather than on two names.
edwinx1903
edwinx1903

11.25.2013 | 1:50 AM ET

Being name dropped daily on ESPN and getting all of say 2 minutes on ESPN won't really do as much as headlining various WWE PPVs and being the highlight of weekly WWE international TV shows.

Football/Soccer gets more exposure on ESPN than the UFC does and there's still not a huge fan base in America although it's grown, but that's mostly due to their being a pretty good Soccer league in North America which is the MLS.

In short, being featured on a weekly basis on WWE TV and PPV with a good portion of the show revolving around you will get you farther than being name dropped on ESPN every now and then.
cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

11.25.2013 | 7:58 AM ET

I think uber-jojo with 30 lbs of added muscle could give Cain a good fight. 

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.25.2013 | 8:01 AM ET

Putting on 30lbs of muscle is an impossible task for many and for those who are able it takes quite some time @Cal1. In the meanwhile Jones can get his asswhooped by the Gus again.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.25.2013 | 10:31 AM ET

Everyone wants Jones to move up as soon as he 'cleans out the division'.  I'd say 12 months is about right, more or less.  I want him to clean out Teixiera, Gustafsson and Cormier first and then fight Cain.

This will be a Super-Fight of epic proportions.  Huge.  Say what you want, you will not dampen my enthusiasm, or that of any other true fan.

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.25.2013 | 10:35 AM ET

If Jones can get through Gus and Cormier then yes Cain vs Jon Jones will be the best superfight the sport has to offer in my opinion. I don't see Jonesy boy pulling it off though.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.25.2013 | 10:42 AM ET

I agree that Jones defeating Gus again will take all his talent, skill, determination and tenacity.  Like Hendrikcs, Gus now feel he has his opponent's number.  Gus will come at him like a mountain.

It is not a foregone conclusion that Jones will be able to hold off his challenge.  I am still betting on Jones but it will be a hedged bet.  Cormier will also present a massive challenge.  Cormier hits harder but lacks the overall skill set of Jones.  At least I think he does.  I would not bet the farm or store on it!

mmafan2013
mmafan2013
  • Predictions:  106  |  69.8%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: -220

11.25.2013 | 10:42 AM ET

about time someone made a forum about cain vs jones
im just sad spinning backfists got 12 dislikes
i think cain easly beats jones as of now at 205 ( yes the weight dif ino ) but is jones was to move upto heavyweight how would he look at heavyweight will his legs thickin up will be built like overeem or CV .

i think jones needs to be around 240 to have any impact with the top 10 he has the tools to win its just how the move up inpacts on him

i do not think he should fight cain unless it is a super fight and he dont have to be 205 if not a super fight he should fight someone like dos santos mir overeem bigfoot or dc

i cant wait for his move to heavy but i do not thing there is any rush he is young but the fact he said he wants to retire at 30 makes me dought him his his head isnt in the game cain will murder him

"Element Knows"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.25.2013 | 10:46 AM ET

I think I've read that Jones walks around at 225.  So, he wouldn't have to cut weight and dehydrate himself, only to have to rehydrate.  Jones fighting at his natural walking-around weight of 225, against Cain at 240 isn't that much of a differential.  It would still be competitive.

mmafan2013
mmafan2013
  • Predictions:  106  |  69.8%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: -220

11.25.2013 | 10:50 AM ET

ooh and espn dont do ufc anymore as far as I know  its all on BT sports now atleast in the uk anyway and the coverage since bt toke over has been alot better than that of espns.
that said i do not like the hot blonde and the gay looking guy thay have doing the talking girls clueless and guys a fruit

* Edited at 11.25.2013, 10:52 AM ET *

"Element Knows"

edwinx1903
edwinx1903

11.25.2013 | 10:59 AM ET

@Bill Burgess "Say what you want, you will not dampen my enthusiasm, or that of any other true fan."

Yeah, how do I keep forgetting I'm a fake fan for not considering a potential Cain vs. Jones the biggest fight in UFC history simply because Lesnar vs. Couture was.

@mmafan2013 We're not talking about the same type of ESPN UFC coverage. ESPN UFC coverage in the UK is different than in the US. The ESPN UFC coverage we're talking about is the mentions the UFC gets on ESPN sports news program Sportscenter.

* Edited at 11.25.2013, 11:00 AM ET *

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 pre-event facts: Can Derrick Lewis extend all-time KO record?
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Paid More In Taxes Than I Made Last Year In My Fight’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dan Hardy picks Conor McGregor to beat Michael Chandler: ‘He’s got that refinement in his game’
  • Middle Easy : ‘Problem-Solving’ Cory Sandhagen Reveals One Weakness He Sees In Unbeaten Umar Nurmagomedov
  • UFC.com : Rankings Report | Week of May 6, 2024
  • Bad Left Hook : Jermall Charlo charged with DWI and fleeing after crashing Lamborghini
  • UFC.com : Last Time In St. Louis
  • UFC.com : Billy Goff Is Willing To Take The Risks
  • MMA Mania : White Accused Of Betting On NFL During Boring Bout
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry unsure Darren Till fight happens, teases interest in Caleb Plant: ‘Bring it on, motherf*ckers’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 commentary team, broadcast plans set: Laura Sanko joins booth for second time in 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Payton Talbott draws Yanis Ghemmouri at UFC 303 on June 29
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Sound & Pound — Will Lewis Turn Back Another Prospect?
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Jon Jones 'smart' for going after Alex Pereira over Tom Aspinall
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja dreams of fight against flyweight ‘GOAT’ Demetrious Johnson
  • MMA Mania : Brain Damage Forces Hardy From BKFC 61
  • MMA Junkie : Heather Hardy suffering from effects of 'too much brain damage,' indicates fighting career is over
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC champ Dricus du Plessis perform as Wildebeest on The Masked Singer