Topic: Rory MacDonald

Rory Mac: Speed bump, or less upside than we thought?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

11.17.2013 | 1:19 PM ET

The biggest upset by far last night (measured by betting odds) was the -430 Rory MacDonald getting plastered around the ring by the resurgent Robbie Lawler.

Is this just a question of MacDonald needing to rethink his gameplanning and urgency in how he fights, and we'll see him fight for the belt before long?   Or are there serious holes in the kid's game and it was always premature for people to try and anoint him as the next big thing from Canada.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Rory "Red King" MacDonald

Fighter Details

• Name: Rory MacDonald
  • Pro MMA Record: 23-10-1 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Red King
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: August 13, 2022 in PFL
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Tristar Gym
  • Height: 6'0" (183cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,290,000 USD
  • Born: Quesnel, British Columbia, Canada
  • Fighting out of: Deerfield Beach, FL
  • Head Coach: Firas Zahabi
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 3

Southknox
Southknox
  • Predictions:  3,540  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  754
  • Post Score: 243

11.18.2013 | 2:43 AM ET

He is 24.....dudes got time

He can fight for 12 more years if he keeps up with his "style of fighting".
No damage=longer career.
Cant hate the kid for sticking to his game plan...
His boring to ******* watch game plan ,but a game plan non the less. 
He got WAY  better after his first lose. This one might make him a Champion. 

"**** Jon Jones"

mmown
mmown
  • Predictions:  2,384  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  377
  • Post Score: 147

11.18.2013 | 9:31 AM ET

I think Rory believes the hype a bit too much. He needs to remember that everything is earned, not given. His last two fights he has looked worse than his previous fights. I don't think he's being overly cautious though. It looks like he just expects things to happen for him in the octagon. Like there will be a moment where it just happens and he's submitting his opponent or knocking them out. It looks like he doesn't want to work and create those moments. He will learn from the loss and maybe be champion one day, but not if he continues to fight like that.
NoJuice11
NoJuice11
  • Predictions:  8,305  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,544
  • Post Score: 208

11.19.2013 | 3:51 PM ET

Yeah he can fight safe for 12 years @southknox. Its funny cause Lawlers been fighting for about the same and hes not a ***** like Rory, he gives 100 percent every time no matter who hes facing, so you cant use that excuse.

"Dude everyone knows Shaq got rich off playing in college"-Baseketball

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,363  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

11.19.2013 | 3:59 PM ET

Like I said. Rory acts like a **** and fights like a ******. Much like his friends Mike Ricci. Dude walks out with a samurai sword yet does about as much damage as a butter knife.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,048  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

11.19.2013 | 4:17 PM ET

The problem is how he's fighting. In the Ellenberger fight he was super tentative and did nothing but jab. It worked there because Ellenberger was just as tentative, afraid of the jab, and barely went for takedowns. Against Lawler he was even more tentative but Lawler was closing the distance to attack him and was hitting him hard. Plus MacDonald was doing nothing on the ground until the end. He needs to get back to fighting like he has a killer instinct.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Southknox
Southknox
  • Predictions:  3,540  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  754
  • Post Score: 243

11.19.2013 | 5:02 PM ET

@nojuice11
wasnt an excuse it was a fact if he takes less damage he will have a longer career.......logic 

"**** Jon Jones"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.19.2013 | 6:13 PM ET

Injuries happen. Dominick Cruz doesn't take a lot of damage in fights and he's been on a two year layoff due to injuries happening.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 2 hours, and 8 minutes from now.
NoJuice11
NoJuice11
  • Predictions:  8,305  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,544
  • Post Score: 208

11.19.2013 | 9:11 PM ET

Well its because hes afraid to get hit, its obvious. A lot of guys hate getting hit, but most can take it, you can see his reluctance when guys come forward swinging. That's not a good quality for a fighter to have when fighting at an elite level against top guys. The skill is there, but I'm starting think he's not all mentally there when the cage door closes

"Dude everyone knows Shaq got rich off playing in college"-Baseketball

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Dana White Set To Roast Tom Brady On Netflix
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja ready to claim ‘King of Rio’ title if Jose Aldo retires
  • MMA Junkie : Tim Welch reveals his side of Sean O'Malley's sparring session with Alexandre Pantoja
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia live stream online
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Stream: Highlights, Results And More!
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: There's no respect for 'smaller dudes' Conor McGregor, Max Holloway if it weren't for Jose Aldo
  • MMA Mania : How To Stream Canelo Vs. Munguia PPV Card
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira blasts ‘scared’ UFC middleweights for refusing fights, done calling out opponents
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 'Embedded,' No. 6: 'I suspect we're going to piss off a lot of Brazil'
  • MMA Mania : Preview: Canelo Vs. Munguia Full Fight Breakdown
  • Middle Easy : Ronda Rousey Agrees To Write Script For Netflix Film Based On Her Memoirs
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith dismisses online trolls ahead of UFC 301: ‘Fans are stupid’
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown announces his MMA retirement: ‘Not doing it again, I’m out’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 MMA retirement tracker: A list of those who hung up the gloves
  • MMA Junkie : Matt Brown, owner of second-most knockouts in UFC history, announces MMA retirement
  • Middle Easy : Alex Pereira Responds To Jon Jones’ Callout, Says Bout With ‘Bones’ Will Be ‘Biggest Fight Of His Career’
  • MMA Junkie : Stephen A. Smith 'disgusted' by Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson being sanctioned as a professional boxing bout
  • MMAFighting.com : Jonathan Martinez already beat two of his UFC heroes, Jose Aldo is next: ‘He had his chance’
  • MMA Mania : Cha-Ching! Canelo Expected To Earn Massive Cinco De Mayo Payday
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301: Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg live stream watch party at 9:45 p.m. ET