Topic: Georges St-Pierre

Georges St-Pierre Appreciation Thread

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

11.17.2013 | 12:47 AM ET

This is a thread dedicated to the greatest fighter of all-time, Georges St-Pierre.

He's clearly beaten every fighter he's ever faced, no other fighter has been able to do that. GSP has been dominating competition for almost 10 years now, and he's wiped out three generations worth of welterweights. From Hughes, to Fitch, to Hendricks, GSP has clearly beaten all of his opponents.

With his convincing 48-47 win over Hendricks, GSP is the longest tenured fighter and has the most title wins in UFC history. GSP is the GOAT people.

If he decides to retire for good, I say kudos to the greatest of all-time and thank you, Georges St-Pierre.

"الله أكبرl"

Georges "Rush" St-Pierre

Fighter Details

• Name: Georges St-Pierre
  • Pro MMA Record: 26-2-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Rush
  • Current Streak: 13 Wins
  • Last Fight: November 04, 2017 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Middleweight | Last Weigh-In: 184.4 lbs
  • Affiliation: Tristar Gym
  • Height: 5'11" (180cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,081,000 USD
  • Born: St. Isidore, Quebec, Canada
  • Fighting out of: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
  • Head Coach: Firas Zahabi
  • Other Coaches: Greg Jackson, Kru Phil Nurse
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 3

Anik
Anik

11.17.2013 | 11:14 AM ET

Enter the Bill Burgess Experience.

I agree with everything Bill just said. We're talking about the greatest fighter of all-time and everyone just consistently disrespects him. He's the most formidable human being to ever brace this sport and his greatness will only be appreciated years after his career ends.

Shame on you people.

"الله أكبرl"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

11.17.2013 | 11:17 AM ET

GSP not only won me back as a fan last night, but won and earned back his P4P status and title of the G.O.A.T.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

11.17.2013 | 11:22 AM ET

Dana White really crossed the line when he said what he did to Ariel Hawani and at the press conference.  He said it when GSP was not present.

And when he did that, he was emotional at the moment, didn't need to shoot off his mouth and he unnecessarily created problems for everyone.  Without those BS comments, it could have ended in controversy but now it could turn out even worse.

White attacked the Las Vegas sanctioning bodies with a venom seldom heard.  He said Las Vegas 'is a dangerous place'.  He's scared to hold events there!  Nice chutzpah, Dana.  Hope you don't live to regret it.  Those people won't come out publicly and wreck you.  They'll do it behind closed doors and you find out down the road how nasty and vindictive they can be.  Next time you need an accommadation, they hurt you.

And when GSP hears how his boss undermined his win, that's the kind of BS that drives a wedge between people that didn't have to happen.  

Dana White influences a lot of people.  For him to say what he did, he causes many people to believe that Hendricks won beyond any reasonable doubt.  Which of course is BS par for the course for White.  

If I was GSP, I wouldn't want to work for White ever again.  It's one thing to think what you think.  It's another to inflame an already sensitive subject and make sensitive stuff much worse.

I fear there will be repercussions from the Las Vegas sanctioning bodies and GSP.  All for nothing.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

11.17.2013 | 11:23 AM ET

Reallt Kalibo? Because that was the worst Georges we have seen in like years

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Kalibo
Kalibo

11.17.2013 | 11:28 AM ET

Yep... really buffalo.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.17.2013 | 11:34 AM ET

Including me, 6 people watched the fight live at my house. 

My cousin and brother thought Johnny won, and they were rooting for him. Brother thought it was clear and cousin thought it was close for Hendricks.

Myself and my coach thought GSP won, but we both like him and were rooting for him. 

The other two were undecided, with one seeming to lean Hendricks and the other GSP. 

It was a damn close fight. Damage doesn't tell the whole story. But either way I hope they rematch to give us some clear answers and hopefully GSP realizes that the only way to put it to rest is to do that.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

11.17.2013 | 11:51 AM ET

The thing is i have always been a GSP fan, and still am, but that fight in particular doesn´t strike me as the one that would make someone become a fan. He was inconsistant and miles away from dominant last night.

I have to wonder if his tendency to look invincible is why you didn´t used to like him. If so, thats straight ridiculous.

* Edited at 11.17.2013, 11:57 AM ET *

CONDIT729
CONDIT729
  • Predictions:  4,116  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,500
  • Post Score: 165

11.17.2013 | 12:01 PM ET

To people that thought GSP won, please tell me which rounds you think he won? I only gave him 3 and 5.

"I'm coming in your backyard and I'm gonna **** you up" -Carlos Condit

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

11.17.2013 | 12:02 PM ET

i think people are giving georges round 1, which im not sure i agree with

Kalibo
Kalibo

11.17.2013 | 12:04 PM ET

I just didn't like his aura if that makes sense.  He brought me back b/c of the toughness, most of all mental toughness, he showed in that fight.  He brought me back win or lose b/c of that fight, regardless of how he looked.  It may seem/sound dumb to some, but that's my reasoning.  He finally showed the heart of champ and I can't remember the last time I saw that from him.

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

11.17.2013 | 12:06 PM ET

Ok, i feel you. Maybe his ability to shut down his oppoent´s game with ease detacts from his ¨aura¨ as you called it. Johnny posed a real threat to him last night, and he uncorked some last-ditch do-or-die ****. 

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

11.17.2013 | 12:10 PM ET

You get to see a champion´s true warrior spirit when he is in danger of losing. That´s why Anderson Silva will always be my favorite. 

* Edited at 11.17.2013, 12:11 PM ET *

Anik
Anik

11.17.2013 | 12:21 PM ET

@Kalibo I think he's showed his heart multiple times. He showed it first against BJ Penn when BJ decimated him in the first round and he came back and won the next two and he showed it again when Condit kicked him in the head in the fourth round.

"الله أكبرl"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

11.17.2013 | 12:24 PM ET

@kalibo how about his fight with Condit? He didn't show a champion's heart in that fight? Come on now. Georges won rounds 1,3 and 5. Landed more significant strikes in all those rounds and controlled the octagon. If we start basing wins and losses off "damage" then we better go back and change up a lot of fights. To beat the champ you have to BEAT the champ. 

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Anik
Anik

11.17.2013 | 12:31 PM ET

"If we start basing wins and losses off "damage" then we better go back and change up a lot of fights."

I echo this sentiment. Certain fighters can cause more damage than others so basing it off of damage is biased for those fighters. Just look at the first fight between Chael Sonnen and Anderson Silva. Look at their faces after the fight and then tell me who landed 60 strikes and who landed 400.

"الله أكبرl"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

11.17.2013 | 12:34 PM ET

Have to completely agree with anik and bill. GSP is the G.O.A.T and people on here hate him for it. Nobody has been more dominant, better ambassador, a more respectful fighter, better UFC employee then Georges. He's honest and respectful of everyone no matter what they say about him. True champion in and out of the cage and every ******* fighter coming up the ranks or an established UFC veteran should strive to be like him. 

It will only be after years away that his critics will look back and regret bashing the best ever.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.17.2013 | 12:38 PM ET

Combat sports are bitter. Tough to go out on a high note. Hopefully he gets back in there and gets an emphatic win before calling it quits.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

11.17.2013 | 12:39 PM ET

I thought GSP won rounds 2, 3 & 5.  Round 1 was too close for me to call.  I give it a draw.  

Hendricks impressed me beyond my wildest previous beliefs.  He showed the heart of a winner.  But GSP impressed me more last night than ever before.  They say you don't show what you're made of until you're tested.  GSP was tested all the way to his utmost capacity and came through with flying colors.

You don't realize how easy it would have been for GSP to give in to the pressure and fight defensively.  He chose to stay on the offense and fought manfully like a true champion is expected to.  He never gave up, never gave in, never backed off.  He stayed in Hendricks face all night, stayed in the pocket with a man who was supposed to knock his head off his shoulders.  He never gave Hendricks the chance to unload his big bombs.  He stayed in the pocked, in his face, giving shot for shot, countering for every punch.

If he had fear, he would have stepped back, got on his bicycle and danced away, out of range.  But he never did that.  He remained in harm's way, dueling, like 2 men fencing, thrust & parry.

He earned my undying admiration for his sheer physical courage.  He took the damage and never backed off.  He realized his normal place of refuge, on the ground, was unavailable to him last night.  Hendricks proved too hard to take down, so GSP had to stay on his feet and face the deadly music.  That he did.  He didn't run away.  He could have but he didn't.  

Last night was GSP's greatest victory.  His most impressive win.  His most courageous fight.  He proved that when the going gets tough, the tough get going.  He could have taken the *****'s way out and danced out of range and out of danger.  But he is too much a man, too great a fighter to ***** out.  

He proved what all his admirers have always said.  He is a tremendously great fighter and he's also my Idol.  And I'm proud to say that.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Kalibo
Kalibo

11.17.2013 | 12:39 PM ET

@ben.. exactly.

@Anik... I agree, he def showed his heart in that fight, but he wasn't the champ.

@p4p... He showed his heart vs. Condit in that moment.  I also very much agree w/ your last sentence and @Anik's response to it.

ifightbears
ifightbears
  • Predictions:  2,175  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  600
  • Post Score: 257

11.17.2013 | 12:44 PM ET

Hendricks made him look human and I think people aren't used to seeing that which is why everyone thinks he lost.  If Georges isn't controlling every aspect of the fight then it's shocking enough to make it seem like something else is happening.  Daniel Cormier put it well last night when he said guys tend to elevate themselves up to a point where it's impossible for them to lose in their minds and that's what Hendricks did.  

Fought GSP like a ******* mad dog and brought him to the brink of defeat but that's why GSP is the GOAT.  He still finds a way to win.

"Wanna go to a club where people wee on each other?"

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Submission Hunter Pro 90 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Topuria’s Goal? Highest Salary In All Of Sports
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Odds, Props, Parlays And Picks
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Vs. Potieria Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, April 30: Alex Perez joins top 15 at flyweight after upset KO
  • MMA Mania : ‘Holloway Is The Guy’
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Knockout of the Month for April: Max Holloway's buzzer-beater BMF finish a unanimous winner
  • MMA Mania : Prochazka To 185? ‘I Hope He Doesn’t’
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Confident Conor McGregor is a ‘Better Fighter’ Than Michael Chandler
  • MMA Junkie : Steve Erceg was eating KFC when he received call to fight for title at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia fight card
  • UFC.com : José Aldo’s Career UFC Career Highlights
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja Was ‘Very Mad’ With Strickland: ‘Shut Your Mouth’
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal reveals he made $5 million to save UFC 251 headliner vs. Kamaru Usman
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 2: ‘Let’s see who is going to get the belt first’
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker hopes Jiri Prochazka steers clear of UFC middleweight move because 'then we're enemies'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch stock car racing champ take UFC 301 prospect for 120 mph ride
  • MMA Mania : Welterweight ‘Do Bronx’?! ‘That Will Lead To Money, History, And Legacy’
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall says UFC 304 start time 'just not fair' for U.K. fans
  • Middle Easy : Charles Oliveira Insists He Did Enough To Beat Arman Tsarukyan At UFC 300: ‘It’s Very Complex’