Tapology Forums

UFC “NOT INTERESTED” in Arranging BJ Penn vs. Jon Fitch Rematch.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

07.11.2011 | 9:39 PM ET

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Responses

krazyhopz
krazyhopz
  • Predictions:  14,820  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,098
  • Post Score: 158

07.11.2011 | 9:42 PM ET

good, its not a fight i'm interested in watchin....i certainly dont want to see bj fight gsp again, and fitch has been the true #1 contender in the ww division for a long time, unfortantely for him dana doesn't like him so they'll probably go get the dream ww champ to fight gsp next lol

"Everyone has a gameplan 'till they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

type138
type138
  • Predictions:  7,905  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  154
  • Post Score: 89

07.11.2011 | 9:46 PM ET

i "did" wanna see it but that was before the injuries and time off.....now its just meh

"One's company, two's a crowd, and three's a party"

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703

07.11.2011 | 9:48 PM ET

yea i never really cared for this fight i would rather see BJ fight Shields or Diaz

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

t0rch
t0rch
  • Predictions:  5,787  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,658
  • Post Score: 208

07.11.2011 | 9:48 PM ET

I say Fitch vs Condit then for #1 contender.

* Edited at 07.11.2011, 9:49 PM ET *

"I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

krazyhopz
krazyhopz

07.11.2011 | 9:52 PM ET

@torch i like it, but i don't think they'll call any fight w/ fitch #1 contender cuz they don't want him to fight for the title

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

07.11.2011 | 9:53 PM ET

I agree @t0rch. I'd love to see that fight. P.S. Love the new profile pic

"Frig off, bud"

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

07.11.2011 | 11:02 PM ET

I'm glad I'm not the only one NOT interested in this fight.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

07.11.2011 | 11:56 PM ET

nobody wants to see fitch fight. if the  ufc starts to lose their steam in climbing the sports echelon they will give out more bonuses to KOTN and SOTN and most fights will be 5 rounds imo. plus they will instruct the referee's to stand up fighters after they get a takedown and do nothing with it after 30 seconds. i can see this happening in a year.
p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

07.12.2011 | 12:02 AM ET

I respect Jon Fitch for what he's done in the UFC. Although the term "lay n pray" is used a lot when it doesn't actually apply but with Fitch I definatley have seen him literally lay on someone and not work at all. He is one of the very few fighters that actually do that. I think Fitch should fight Condit and BJ should maybe fight Kampann or Alves.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

krazyhopz
krazyhopz

07.12.2011 | 12:04 AM ET

@wolf i agree that some of that stuff may happen, but it shouldn't...its suppose to be a fight, and if you get taken down and can't get up thats your problem. if you are being held down, that means the other fighter is imposing his will over yours

standing fighters up is like forcing a football team to throw the ball on the next play because they've run it 4 times in a row.

fitch might not be an exciting fighter to watch, but he imposes his will and forces guys to fight his fight...not giving him a title shot because he's not exciting diminishes the credibility of it being a sport

* Edited at 07.12.2011, 12:05 AM ET *

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

07.12.2011 | 12:04 AM ET

I like watching Fitch...he dominates against the majority of the  WW division!!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

07.12.2011 | 12:13 AM ET

@krazyhopz very well said!!! If you don't like getting taken down and held there do something about it other then cry!!! This isn't boxing. Takedowns are legal. A lot of mma "fans" still don't understand the ground aspect so anytime a fight goes there then it's boring. Go watch boxing then!!!!

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654

07.12.2011 | 12:15 AM ET

Word around the campfire is they are setting up Condit vs. Penn. Fitch will have to fight someone soon if he's going to get a title shot, but he has to finish the fight.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

krazyhopz
krazyhopz

07.12.2011 | 12:17 AM ET

exactly, ppl like dana white have made fans think that they are whats important and if they're not being entertained then someones doing something wrong. i got news for ya, dana doesn't care about any fans...he only says what he thinks ppl want to hear some they give him their money.

fans don't matter, there entertainment level is not important. ITS A FIGHT...and you aren't in it

a real fan is someone who enjoys all aspects of mma, not just watchin mma and hoping to see the part of it that you like...if you want to do that, go for it...just don't think its all about you

booing when a fight goes to the ground is like booing a jumpshot cause you only like dunks...its just stupid

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654

07.12.2011 | 12:38 AM ET

In some ways I agree with you krazyhopz, but in other ways I disagree. What makes most people watch a sport is the entertainment value. Before the forward pass was invented, hardly anybody watched or even knew about American football. For most people baseball didn't exist until Babe Ruth started hitting more home runs than entire teams. Boxing wasn't even a reported sport until Jack Johnson started dancing around the ring and utizing technique to win fights. Basketball wasn't all that popular until the inception of the A.B.A. and them slam dunking the ball. The majority of fans watch hockey for the fights, NASCAR for the wrecks, and soccer for the riots. That's just the way most casual fans are. In order to market a sport effectively, you have to appeal to the casual fans.

I believe in a mixture of entertainment, excitment, technique, and appreciation for all sports. Fighters like Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, BJ Penn, JDS, and Urijah Faber have made technique and athleticism very entertaining while fighters like Diego Sanchez, Kos, Jon Fitch, Tyron Woodley, and Gray Maynard have made survival and point fighting very boring. I appreciate every aspect of MMA, but I can't stand when a fight is stalemated one way or the other. A classic example of a fight that didn't entertain me nor did I have any respect for the fight in general was Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum. Another one that did that for me was GSP/Shields.

IMHO, the point of a fight is to fight. Watching two people stand in front of each other and do nothing or go to the ground and do nothing is just as disrespectful to his opponent as it is to the fans. It doesn't have to be "Rock 'em, Sock 'em Robots", but it doesn't have to be like watching grass grow either.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

07.12.2011 | 12:45 AM ET

Krazy no one will get this. People get bored easily and they want to keep on the edge of their seat. "Go watch boxing" shouldn't be used carelessly for people that don't like stale ground fighters. Because they are just fans that like to see more effort on the ground, and less smothering. But that is NOT Fitch's fault. The judging criteria is favoring octagon control which plays perfectly into Fitch's wrestling background. That is like telling Fitch to stand up more and trade and see him get kicked from the UFC. If it isn't broken why fix it? Weirdly enough we have fans bashing Fitch but never look at Sonnen, because he's pulling jokes and a brash comedian in the sport.  
The only thing I don't like about fans opinions is they like to jump on each others words. If you hear enough on the forums that GSP is "boring" and not a true mixed martial artist. People will jump on those opinions and also say it. I don't know why but that's how it usually works. 
People expect a lot from fighters and Dana White is pressuring to please the fans. He is business first and $. So no matter if Fitch destroys everyone and takes them down. He'll continue to keep him on the back burner. Because fans are crying about it. Harping about one fighter isn't going to help the situation. Fitch isn't tarnishing the sport. You just have to understand the ground game and realize that it is a lot more complex and takes a lot of talent to dominate on the ground like Fitch does. Maybe fighters come out after a fight pondering to themselves "maybe I should perfect my TDD".
It's fine if you don't like Fitch but try to keep an open mind when it comes to a fighters ability. That is his bread and butter. Why stray away from it when he's doing so well with it?

* Edited at 07.12.2011, 12:46 AM ET *

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

07.12.2011 | 12:47 AM ET

I don't boo fights when they go to the ground. I do boo fights when they go to the ground and no damage is inflicted, no subs are attempted and no action is achieved.
Obviously fans who enjoy Fitch's style are the minority since his own bosses are realizing that he's a product that few people want to buy. No interest = No buyers, No buyers = No money, No money = No sport.

And for those who like Fitch's style, you already have a sport. It's called wrestling. Go watch it.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

07.12.2011 | 12:48 AM ET

The point is Fitch has a life and is a professional. Sorry but he's well deserving with the way he dominates his opposition, but then gets pushed aside by Dana White to hype up another face for everyone to get excited. It's just not fair to Fitch.
I personally don't get excited when Fitch is on a card but I don't get my panties in a twist knowing he's fighting. 

krazyhopz
krazyhopz

07.12.2011 | 12:50 AM ET

@jay i understand what you are saying. and i agree with a lot of it. my point more or less is this tho, if the nba decided in a given year that even tho a boring team from the west and a boring team from the east weren't allowed to play in the finals because it would be more entertaining and bring more eyes to the game if the point the LA Lakers vs NY Knicks in the finals. (those too being the 2 biggest markets, therefore creating the biggest ratings possible) that would take away all credibility to the sport...thats what the ufc does by not giving fitch a title shot who has clearly earned it, and giving it to diaz who hasn't done anything in the ufc to earn a title shot

I do agree with you 100% that the Overeem/Werdum fight was bs, and that there should be something that can be done to discipline a fighter who conducts himself the way that Werdum did. 

I also agree that the gsp/shields fight sucked, but i honestly believe that gsp truly couldn't see very well and thats the reason he fought the way he did. But as far as that fight went, imo it was on shields to try to take gsp down which for some reason he never really tried to do

I wouldn't flat out say that there shouldn't be any stand ups ever....but imo it needs to be a clear stall tactic, and the fighter who is doing the stalling should be warned and then yellow carded or something to that affect. In my opion stands should a pretty rare occurance...and should have nothing to do w/ fans booing 

krazyhopz
krazyhopz

07.12.2011 | 12:57 AM ET

I think that a lot of fitch not gettin a title shot also has to do with the fact that on more than one occassion that he said he would not fight kos....and dana doesn't like that because dana wants to control guys. i believe him not gettin a title shot is a discipline to him not being willing to jump when dana says so to go fight a guy he's trained with everyday for years unless its for the title.

kos, never openly said he would never fight fitch (to my knowledge) and he got a 2nd title shot....i don't think thats a coincedence

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : MMA Community Reacts to Anthony Smith’s Submission Victory and Announcing Mishap at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Naoya Inoue vs. Luis Nery full fight video highlights
  • Bad Left Hook : KNOCKOUT! Naoya Inoue comes off canvas to brutalize Luis Nery
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Dana White catches shots over UFC fighter pay, rips 'liberal f*cks' at Netflix during Tom Brady roast
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Demetrious Johnson suggests UFC ‘don’t let flyweights main event’ after UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Spinning Back Clique LIVE (noon ET): Jose Aldo's future, Jon Jones calls for Alex Pereira, latest in boxing, more
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results
  • MMA Mania : Nurmagomedov Vs. Sandhagen Headlines UFC Abu Dhabi In August
  • MMA Junkie : Cory Sandhagen vs. Umar Nurmagomedov headlines UFC Fight Night Abu Dhabi on Aug. 3
  • MMAFighting.com : Cory Sandhagen vs. Umar Nurmagomedov booked for main event at UFC Abu Dhabi on Aug. 3
  • Jits Magazine : Fight 2 Win 252 Full Results And Review
  • Bad Left Hook : Dmitry Bivol stays on June 1 card, will face Malik Zinad
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results NOW!
  • Jits Magazine : 7 Inspiring John Danaher’s Quotes For BJJ And Life
  • Middle Easy : Oscar De La Hoya Backs Jaime Munguia After Defeat Against Canelo Alvarez
  • MMA Mania : Video: White, O’Malley Get Burnt During Roast Of Tom Brady
  • MMA Mania : ‘The Rock’ Shares Footage From MMA Training Camp
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results, 4 am ET
  • MMAFighting.com : Drakkar Klose explains UFC 301 beef with Daniel Cormier, calls out Beneil Dariush, Jalin Turner
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC 301: Anthony Smith teaches another lesson in misplaced doubt