Topic: Jones vs. Gustafsson

Jones vs. Gustafsson

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,622  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,553
  • Post Score: 60

06.13.2013 | 4:23 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Jones vs. Gustafsson. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 5

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

09.15.2013 | 11:50 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Agreed @NoJuice. The last 2 matchups were a joke. Unfortunately, legitimate contenders are pretty hard to come by in a division where everyone's best days were in PRIDE (zing). Realistically, the most deserving opponents that he hasn't already destroyed are Gustafsson, Davis, and Li'l Nog. 

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

09.15.2013 | 11:57 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

If he gets through Gustafsson he's fighting Cormier, if he gets through Cormier he either goes to HW or fights Glover lastly, If he gets to Glover and hasn't moved to HW yet he will certainly after (if) he goes through Glover. 

Jones at Heavyweight will be interesting for sure (if) and when it happens. I wonder if 20+lbs of muscle will translate to his strikes being more devastating because I see his cumulative style not transferring well to HW and I can see him having trouble getting down the Brownes, Miocic's, Overeems, Juniors, Cains, Barnetts ect. Heavyweight+Jones just opens a **** load of questions I want answers to! 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174

09.16.2013 | 12:11 AM ET

Derp. I forgot about Glover. Until Cormier comes down to 205, I'm not assuming he can make the weight, but that would also be an interesting challenge. 

I don't know if Jones is realistically going to move to HW yet, mostly because he hasn't shown he has problems making the weight or that the weight cut affects him adversely. I think he'll be content to continue fighting at 205 until the weight cut becomes too difficult, but until then I see him trouncing the division. Gustafsson got submitted by Davis, Davis was easily outwrestled by Evans, Li'l Nog has won his last 2, but there's just nothing interesting in that fight, Glover's got big power, but he gasses quickly, and Cormier, well....I just don't know because I haven't seen him at 205.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

09.16.2013 | 12:17 AM ET

I think Zuffa said a couple days again pending Cormiers next fight he's next in line for Jones.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

EDEN
EDEN

09.16.2013 | 6:37 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gustafsson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Glover deserves the shot more.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 months, 3 weeks, 6 hours, and 26 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

09.18.2013 | 8:32 AM ET

Goddamit!! 

Until today I had my Tapology pick set to Gustafsson to win by decision, award hunting and whatnot, but today I officially *****ed out because I didn't want to let my BLC team down by getting a REALLY low score (my UFC scores are already a tad iffy). 

Now if Gustafsson shocks the world I'm going to die (or at least punch a hole in the wall). 

I'm such a *****!

* Edited at 09.18.2013, 8:48 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

09.18.2013 | 12:40 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

@Yoss LOL I did the same yesterday, I want to pick Gus but just couldn´t be that irresponsable.

in situations like that I always think...what if he does win and I´m the ***** who changed his pick

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

slamdistraction
slamdistraction
  • Predictions:  702  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  249
  • Post Score: 117

09.18.2013 | 8:43 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

front kick

"Beating people up is a positive thing –Tank Abbott"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

09.18.2013 | 10:12 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I think a decisive factor will be Jones' ferocity and aggressive warrior's spirit.  Gusta is more placid and passive.  I think his will to prevail is not in the same category.

* Edited at 09.18.2013, 10:12 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

09.18.2013 | 10:28 PM ET

Jon Jones via being a 230+ pound bear.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 9 hours, and 14 minutes from now.
Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407

09.19.2013 | 2:24 PM ET

What the hell... Jones' success has nothing to do with his size, contrary to popular belief. His size wouldn't help him neutralize Shogun's half guard. His size did nothing for him while he was standing in his corner, hatching a plan to take advantage of Machida's lead hand being badly positioned after every rear-hand counter. His size doesn't allow him to control his opponent's wrist and land a clean elbow EVERY TIME his opponent attempts a sweep or disrupts his posturing. His size doesn't allow him to listen to everything his corner says and come with a different approach each round.

Hell, his size sucks for takedowns in general because his changing of levels becomes predictable. His size helps for takedowns from the clinch, but he is a master at the clinch so he'd get the takedowns while clinched anyway.

Jones is a fighting genius, please understand that.

* Edited at 09.19.2013, 2:31 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

09.19.2013 | 3:47 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

fglop
fglop
  • Predictions:  1,625  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,061
  • Post Score: 150

09.19.2013 | 10:09 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

So some point to Gustafsson winning this fight because he'll be the first Jones opponent that isn't grossly overmatched in terms of height/reach. Why doesn't this go both ways? Jones is probably the tallest guy Alex has faced and no doubt has the longest reach out of all his opponents. Both fighters have to face the same obstacle in this fight, and I think those who Jones as the only one having to overcome this hurdle are misguided. 

If anything, Mauler has more adaptions to make as he'll actually face a reach deficit, while Jones will still have ~3 inches of reach on him.

* Edited at 09.19.2013, 10:11 PM ET *

betvic
betvic
  • Predictions:  145  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 125

09.19.2013 | 10:22 PM ET

Both fighters are only 26 years of age. One is a great talent while the other is an exceptional talent. The exceptional talent is the current champion & he will still be champion after this fight

"@BetVictor"

EDEN
EDEN

09.20.2013 | 7:05 AM ET

Good way to put it.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 months, 3 weeks, 6 hours, and 26 minutes from now.
Huiop532
Huiop532
  • Predictions:  9,233  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,534
  • Post Score: 206

09.20.2013 | 7:22 AM ET

Screw it, switching to Gus (award hunting)
DelRose
DelRose

09.20.2013 | 8:13 AM ET

50-43 JBJ all the way.

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

09.20.2013 | 12:45 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gustafsson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@fglop,

I think you makes some very good points about the size factor going both ways. However Gus has fought people with the same reach and maybe even longer then him before. Gus at one point had a 76 inch reach few years back. His arms have grown significantly over last few years.

"here I come to save the day"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

09.20.2013 | 12:56 PM ET

@Franklin: His reach was never 76". It was recently reported by Gus himself that his reach was improperly reported by the UFC. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

jmcdowell
jmcdowell
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  450
  • Post Score: 188

09.20.2013 | 1:03 PM ET

@Franklin how does a 20 year old man lengthen his arms?

"“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious” - Lombardi"

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC 301 main, co-main event official weigh-in highlights video
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC 301 weigh-in video LIVE now
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones favors Alex Pereira heavyweight clash over Tom Aspinall: ‘Tom only matters in the U.K.’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘We see the type of person he is’: Haney not interested in Garcia rematch after failed drug test
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champ Alex Pereira thinks Jiri Prochazka most likely next in line: 'Ankalaev is going to have to wait'
  • MMA Junkie : Jon Jones: Alex Pereira matchup would be 'biggest fight in MMA history' and 'no one can argue that'
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Dustin Poirier admits title win could be perfect ending to career: ‘This is the last chapter’
  • MMA Junkie : Scale snafus: UFC official weigh-in misses in 2024
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 weigh-in video at 8 a.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : Every UFC event in history with three or more weigh-in misses
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC 301 Early Weigh Ins Results!
  • MMA Mania : ‘I’m Going To Put Him Down’
  • UFC.com : Jack Shore: The Welsh 'Tank' Is Ready To Roll Again
  • UFC.com : Michel Pereira: Guaranteed Excitement
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 weigh-in results
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 weigh-in results (8 a.m. ET)
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Geo Martinez And Nicolas Renier Face Each Other In The Preliminary Card
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • The Athletic : UFC 301 predictions, previews, odds: Alexandre Pantoja looks to defend title in front of home Brazilian crowd
  • Jits Magazine : Full Lineup Announced For Fury Pro Grappling 10