Tapology Forums

Who has a bigger chance of pulling the upset Hendricks on GSP,Weidman on Anderson, or Bigfoot on Cain

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

mmawizzard
mmawizzard
  • Predictions:  50,188  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5,282
  • Post Score: 145

05.11.2013 | 7:25 PM ET

* Edited at 05.11.2013, 7:26 PM ET *

"Wizzard of Tapology"

Responses Page 3

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

05.12.2013 | 5:45 PM ET

@dielegende23 Of course I said Hendricks' KO over Jon Fitch was a fluke. It was a reasonable claim and can still be considered as such. When you have a guy who at the time, was like three fights off a Rick Story loss and he one-punch KOed a guy who's pretty much known for being able to take and survive heavy punches, it's not out of this world and still can't be considered as such but with recent evidence, it probably wasn't and I will admit that. But you're still ******* wrong and I'm still awesomely right about Johny Hendricks' technical boxing.

You show me an example of Hendricks knocking out...Martin Kampmann? THAT, is your evidence? Kampmann is a notoriously bad defender of punches because he always travels in a straight line and he, for some reason, doesn't know the basic rule when fighting a southpaw; keep your lead leg outside of your opponent's. Not only that, Kampmann's going around bouncing like an idiot and it doesn't give him enough time to plant his fight and back peddle away from Hendricks' punch that meets him full force.

A step in right hook and a left straight is a 'great combination'? I COULD ******* DO THAT. Excellent footwork? Where's that? He's moving forward, that's all the footwork that was involved in that punch. Kampmann's footwork is brutally awful and that clip shows it. He covers the distance and he has great speed but that's because he's an amazing athlete and nowhere did I say Hendricks wasn't an excellent athlete, because he is and to say he isn't is asinine.

You see no flaws in that KO of Kampmann? I do, look how Hendricks leads in with his head for ****'s sake. His chin is up the entire time and you can see Kampmann attempt to throw an inside left hook that could've easily shut the lights out for Hendricks...if Hendricks didn't hit him with that left. Oh and notice how Hendricks' hands in the beginning of the clip are, wait for it, AT HIS HIPS! And when he throws that left hand, it's not coming from his hips but it's coming from under his ribs which is still ******* low.

Let's break down some more Johny Hendricks shall we? Here's the clip that you claim has me 'butthurt'.

You see that? Hendricks swings his left hand FROM HIS HIPS, leads in WITH HIS HEAD and chin up. 

How about that other 'butthurt' clip?

See that? Leads in with his head, chin up and he swings punches from his hips.

Not convinced? Ok.

Guess what? Hendricks, once again, leads in with his head, has his chin up and throws his lefts FROM HIS HIPS.

Did I say Johny Hendricks wasn't powerful? No, I think he has the pound-for-pound most powerful punch in MMA. Johny Hendricks still manages to win because his striking is effective, but it is far from technical and it's definitely sloppy.

Do I think someone could take advantage of his obvious flaws? Definitely. Condit, who's boxing isn't anywhere as good as his kicking, was cleaning Hendricks out in the stand up department in rounds 2 and 3. Even Koscheck was reasonably successful in the first at certain points while standing because he prevented Hendricks from entering by blocking his right jab.

-

You can call ME 'Die Legende' from now on.

* Edited at 05.12.2013, 5:50 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

05.12.2013 | 6:04 PM ET

@ AnikM - had to give you thumbs up on your last post. Really good read. If anything is shown in Hendricks' fighting style, and how he has faired against fighters like Josh Koscheck and Carlos Condit (fighters who Hendricks barely beat, and according to many people didn't beat), stylistically Hendricks is ripe to be picked apart by a technical, experience, athletic, well-rounded fighter like GSP. Something else to point out about Hendricks in his close decisions with Kos and Condit, Hendricks was fading towards the end of the fight, what's going to happen when GSP takes him into the championship rounds?

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,457  |  72.0%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

05.12.2013 | 6:04 PM ET

Just to make it quick and painless...

You said "Hendricks is by far the sloppiest striker in the UFC today"

I say "Cody McKenzie, Clay Guida, Ramsey Nijim...." (I could name 50 other guys but I'm sure you get the point)

You're still ******* wrong and I'm still awesomely right.

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

05.12.2013 | 6:05 PM ET

i have to defend my post, even tough its been buried.
Hendricks does have a chance if the fight lasts and the threat of that left hand could help him even outwrestle GSP.

but to make it easier: Even if GSP wins, he most likely can't finish Hendricks. But Anderson can finish Weidman on the feet, and maybe on the ground too. 
Anik
Anik

05.12.2013 | 6:13 PM ET

@dielegende23 Fair enough but your initial argument was to prove that Hendricks wasn't a sloppy striker and I'm pretty sure I debunked that theory.

So you're still ******* wrong and I'm awesomely right.

@jaykool777 Excellent point with Hendricks' cardio. Condit cleaned up on Hendricks in the 3rd round and Koscheck was pretty successful too so just imagine what GSP can do.

"الله أكبرl"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,457  |  72.0%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

05.12.2013 | 6:29 PM ET

Haha well I'm saying Hendricks ain't sloppy with his striking I'd call him reckless maybe, he certainly leaves himself open in some situations when he is attacking but at the same time, in those gifs ^^ he fought Fitch and Brenemann I mean Johny could have ran into flurries with his hands behind his back looking up to the video cube above the Octagon and nothing would have happend. He did however made improvements in the Kampmann and Condit fight.

* Edited at 05.12.2013, 6:29 PM ET *

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,211  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

05.12.2013 | 6:36 PM ET

Surprisingly I think Bigfoot has the best chance of these 3 scenarios...Cain's chin isn't great and Bigfoot's power is gigantically and genetically unfair haha...I doubt it happens but I really don't see Hendricks or Weidman beating GS/Silva...

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

05.12.2013 | 10:10 PM ET

GSP didn't fight Diaz or Condit "risky" per say and he really didn't fight risky Pre-Serra. GSP did more striking back then, he's very good standing if he would just use it more. I say so what if GSP says he wants to take more risks, he really hasn't. He has a history of embellishing opponents skills and their chances all the time. 

I think we can lay this assumption to rest that GSP will fight risky, he claims before every fight he's going to win impressively and consistently doesn't. So how can we really take anything he says seriously. He said he was going to teach Diaz a lesson, put a beating on him and what did he do? he layed n' jabbed him for 5 rounds.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 1 month, 2 weeks, 6 days, 10 hours, and 10 minutes from now.
edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

05.12.2013 | 10:17 PM ET

GSP fought Condit and Diaz a lot different than he has fought other opponents and it was riskier because they're very good strikers and he stood with them for a portion of the fight which is something he didn't do with other opponents such as Dan Hardy and Thiago Alves as he just continuously took them down and ground & pounded them to grind out a decision.

Constantly dominating and beating up the best fighters in your division for 25 minutes without them being able to do anything for as many years as GSP has is impressive whether it's boring or not. You don't have to finish an opponent for it to be impressive performance.

* Edited at 05.12.2013, 10:19 PM ET *

mikeyg
mikeyg

05.12.2013 | 10:36 PM ET

Well then he surely did not fight as risky as he used to be Pre-Serra then..He stands for a "portion" of the time, yes, he still fights less risky than he previously did. He used to stand for long periods of time, now he ducks for a td when he gets hit. To equate how he used to fight to how he is now is equivocation.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 1 month, 2 weeks, 6 days, 10 hours, and 10 minutes from now.
mikeyg
mikeyg

05.12.2013 | 10:39 PM ET

And to comment on the finishing aspect, yes obviously a 5 round decision can be exciting and impressive but I'd hardly call winning on points and position impressive or exciting. Cain vs JDS II was an impressive dominating decision where Cain was trying to really finish JDS.. most all of GSPs decision wins = not exciting, not impressive, and the minute it got heated, GSP cools it down. It's fine to say you're impressed with GSP and excited with him, but it's definitely not universally mutual.
mikeyg
mikeyg

05.12.2013 | 10:40 PM ET

double post

* Edited at 05.12.2013, 10:41 PM ET *

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.12.2013 | 10:42 PM ET

I agree w/ you both in a way.

GSP def does NOT fight risky... and he does embellish a lot.  However, he has dominated the best fighters in his division, boring or not. His performances may not be impressive to us b/c of his record and known skill set, but his championship streak is impressive.

Weird.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

05.12.2013 | 10:43 PM ET

Which was exactly the point I was making in my 4 point GSP breakdown on the last page.

Now he stands with his opponents and takes less risks than he did in the beginning, but it's more than he did in recent times.

GSP's a smart fighter and despite not being the most exciting fighter, is a dominant one and has one of the highest IQ's in MMA. One of the things that impresses the most about GSP is the fact that he has dominated a grand diversity of highly ranked opponents for many years.
mmawizzard
mmawizzard
  • Predictions:  50,188  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5,282
  • Post Score: 145

05.13.2013 | 8:54 AM ET

them sloppy hands are still knocking people the hell out so im ok with it lol.

"Wizzard of Tapology"

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.13.2013 | 9:03 AM ET

I thought Hendricks lost the KOS fight and the Condit fight when I watched them live... I have not re-watched yet though.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

05.13.2013 | 9:24 AM ET

I have no clue how you could score that for Condit.

Unless you score it Stockton style there is no possible way Condit won.

Once again top control is what the judges reward.
Anik
Anik

05.13.2013 | 9:39 AM ET

@MadMikeXD The problem was that there wasn't very much top control. The minute Hendricks took Condit to the ground he was getting beaten up and when they stood back up, Condit was beating Hendricks up on the feet. Not only that but the takedowns that Hendricks got had Condit on the ground for barely 5 seconds.

"الله أكبرl"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

05.13.2013 | 9:45 AM ET

I put the takedowns in the same sense as top control, My mistake.

Hendricks landed 4 takedowns in every round and did decent on the feet. The judges will always score it for the guy landing the takedowns/top control/on top in a clinch against the cage. Its frustrating and not how you would win a street fight, But the judges consistently score this way so its time to accept it or do something to change it. 12 takedowns makes the judges very happy.
Kalibo
Kalibo

05.13.2013 | 10:05 AM ET

Stockton style?  lol.

I agree w/ @Anik here. Condit was taken down, but got up every time and out-struck Hendricks while on the bottom. He did have multiple take downs, but did absolutely nothing w/ them at all and was losing the stand up. 12 take downs don't win you a fight imo if you do nothing w/ them and lose every other aspect of the fight.

I understand what you're saying about the judges though.. it's true, no getting around that.

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen objects to boxing draw vs. Anderson Silva: 'I won the first three rounds'
  • Middle Easy : Cris Cyborg Scores Another KO Win In Boxing Match, Takes Dig At Claressa Shields
  • MMA Junkie : Tatsuro Taira hopes to get title shot vs. Alexandre Pantoja in 2024, become first Japanese UFC champion
  • MMA Junkie : Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen boxing exhibition: Best photos
  • Middle Easy : Caleb Plant Splashes Beer At Ryan Garcia’s Face At Tank Davis vs. Frank Martin Fight, Sends Message To ‘King Ry’
  • MMA Junkie : Cris Cyborg: Money has to be 'right' to face Claressa Shields in boxing
  • MMA Junkie : How to watch PFL 2024, Week 5: Who's fighting, lineup, start time, broadcast info
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 58 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Lowest total payout of 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC on ESPN 58 with John Lennon, AC/DC and that Willy Wonka nod
  • MMA Mania : ‘I’ll Kick His Ass Again’
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC Vegas 93
  • MMA Mania : Video! Caleb Plant Nails Ryan Garcia With A Beer
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for June 20-22
  • Jits Magazine : Beatriz ‘Bia’ Mesquita Dominates In Flawless MMA Debut At Spaten Fight Night
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Won That Fight’
  • Jits Magazine : Andy Varela Leaves ADCC 2024 For Craig Jones Invitational
  • Jits Magazine : Police Arrive After Fight Breaks Out At ADCC Dallas Open 2024
  • Jits Magazine : Top Prospects And Veteran Grapplers Shine In ADCC Dallas Open 2024 Results
  • MMA Mania : Sooo ... About Last Night
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 93, Silva vs. Sonnen 3, and Tank vs. Martin post-fight show: Reaction to Tatsuro Taira, Gervonta Davis’ brutal finishes