Tapology Forums

Who has a bigger chance of pulling the upset Hendricks on GSP,Weidman on Anderson, or Bigfoot on Cain

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

mmawizzard
mmawizzard
  • Predictions:  50,188  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5,282
  • Post Score: 145

05.11.2013 | 7:25 PM ET

* Edited at 05.11.2013, 7:26 PM ET *

"Wizzard of Tapology"

Responses Page 2

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,461  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

05.12.2013 | 12:14 PM ET

And I disagree with Weidman being the most likely.. He is fighting Anderson Silva with 9 fights under his belt.

I still say Hendricks, that left hand may be the most deadly weapon in the sport right now.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

05.12.2013 | 12:15 PM ET

@p4p,

while I agree with your overall post from what I read of it any ways. I disagree with you suggesting Hendricks throws sloppy left hands. That may have been true earlier in his UFC career, but it is not true now. Hendrick punches are not sloppy at all. There very very accurate, You may want to review his numbers for his last few fights. Against Condit he had roughly 45% hit rate, that is dam good. He far from sloppy. I agree GSP should be able to avoid it, but that is more due to GSP being a beast and less to do with hendrick throwing sloppy punches.

* Edited at 05.12.2013, 12:17 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,563  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,825
  • Post Score: 180

05.12.2013 | 12:21 PM ET

Chael's a wrestler but historically VERY susceptible to subs so NOT a good grappler. Plus Weidman's striking is probably better than any opponent Anderson has faced except Vitor. Hendo was "choked out" only after being stunned by strikes. Lutter was finished on the ground so he obviously did get it there. And Chael didn't "get it to the ground" because he had an out of body experience and thought he was Shonie Carter. Maia & Leites thought it would a BJJ match and didn't engage. And yes, Anderson has been sooooo impressive at LHW that he's beaten James Irvin, a Forrrest Griffin more interested in putting on a show than a gameplan, and a retired Bonnar. 

Does that make my choice for most likely to win clear enough? Obviously Anderson is still the favorite but there is a MUCH clearer path to victory for Weidman than either of the other 2.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

05.12.2013 | 12:27 PM ET

I think you are serously overrating Weidman striking if you think only Vitors was better. Franklin is a better striker then Wiedman, hell Hendo more effective striking as well, hell Forrest is technically better striker then Wiedman also. In fact What has wiedman done that makes you think he the second best striker that Anderson has fought next to Vitor? Because he dropped a fat Munoz? Munoz who got head kicked knocked out by Hammil? who Rick Franklin beat the every living **** out of with ease.  Wiedman is dam good fighter, but he not remotely an elite striker.

* Edited at 05.12.2013, 12:29 PM ET *

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

05.12.2013 | 12:29 PM ET

Anderson has actually fought a few guys who OVERALL have the better STRIKING over Weidman (easily)..

Vitor, Cote, Franklin, Marquardt, and Rivera all have better striking then Weidman off the top of my head. And Anderson handled all of them with relative ease.. Difference? Those guys actually had legitimate top 10 experience prior to facing Anderson.. Weidman really doesn't.

* Edited at 05.12.2013, 12:32 PM ET *

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

05.12.2013 | 12:31 PM ET

Say what you will about Jorge Rivera, is he elite? **** no. But when he fought Anderson and they were clinched up Rivera landed like 3-4 consecutive uppercuts to Anderson that were pretty brutal.. They didn't even phase Anderson..

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

05.12.2013 | 12:31 PM ET

Also I am confused about your Lutter comment. Lutter did get Anderson down. Anderson just beat the **** out of him off his back and Lutter tapped to strikes. But yes Lutter did take Anderson down and no Lutter was not hurt on the feet. He took Anderson down and Anderson just destroy him from off his back.

* Edited at 05.12.2013, 12:33 PM ET *

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

05.12.2013 | 12:36 PM ET

The problem with Hendricks big left hand is that you know he's going for it and his stance and set up for it make it predictable.

If Hendricks can work a game plan to which he can find different ways to set up his big left hand, then I could see him really get GSP in trouble.

* Edited at 05.12.2013, 12:38 PM ET *

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

05.12.2013 | 12:40 PM ET

Yeah I knew I'd be forgetting someone. Franklin absolutely has better striking credentials but couldn't change his gameplan when Anderson's Thai clinch was so strong and had absolutley no business there in their 2nd fight; you could see it in his eyes. I don't think Cote's power punching or even Hendo's bomb are "more effective", and Rivera is highly questionable as being better than Weidman. Marquardt definitely has better striking but regardless, none (other than Hendo) had the grappling credentials to threaten Anderson on the ground or the wrestling to get it there. Weidman has both. 

And no Weidman doesn't have the experience/track record to deserve a title shot but that's what Anderson has done to the weakest division in the UFC.

And Forrest a better technical striker??

And Munoz was headkicked by an obviously much larger Hamill who had thrown how many kicks in his career up to that point? Might've been a little bit of a surprise. Hamill looked up to Franklin. That story is well known. And I've always thought Munoz was overrated whenever he was mentioned as a top 10 MW. Leben is his best win, unless you think the boring decision over K-1 Maia was more impressive. I don't.

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

05.12.2013 | 12:52 PM ET

@grizzly that's what I meant by sloppy. It's so predictable it's insane. I'm shocked he's landed it the way he has. Nobody controls distances and range like GSP. Hendricks will be swinging at air a lot. When he can't get the KO he struggles. The only reason he won the Condit fight was because of takedowns. He was so exhausted he did nothing with them though. He's got a punchers chance and that's it.

I find it funny Anderson beats up an average at best semi-retired Bonnar and Forrest Griffin who has terrible striking and no threat of takedowns and people freak out like he just beat the 2 greatest fighters of all time. Griffin is slow, has 0 head movement and stands flat footed a lot. He's a dream match up for Silva. Weidman beats a "fat" Munoz who was crushing everyone at MW and people disregard it like it means nothing. Weidman has ok striking but he will lose no doubt if he can't get it to the ground. I think he does get it to the ground and from there who knows what will happen.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

05.12.2013 | 12:56 PM ET

I think Hendricks has the best chance of winning in the up coning title fights. Cain vs Big Foot will likely look like their first fight. Weidman may attempt to control andersin for 25 minutes but that's a long time not to get caught. Hendricks has the best shot because his wrestling is good he could neutralize GSP though technically his striking isn't as goid if he lands that punch it could very well be good night for Georges.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

05.12.2013 | 2:55 PM ET

Hendricks>Weidman>Bigfoot

And Hendricks will be the only one who wins.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 1 month, 2 weeks, 6 days, 10 hours, and 53 minutes from now.
PRIDEIrish
PRIDEIrish
  • Predictions:  710  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  52
  • Post Score: 148

05.12.2013 | 3:21 PM ET

I think Hendricks has the best chance just because GSP seems to be getting hit more and more with each fight.
Plus Anderson could pull of a submission outta nowhere and Cain's chin withstood some nasty shots from Kongo 

edwinx1903
edwinx1903

05.12.2013 | 3:26 PM ET

GSP's only getting hit more and more each fight because he's taking more risks in his fights trying to be more exciting fights and less boring and dominant to keep fans entertained in fights. However he knows Hendricks has a big left that can put him away if he connects with it, so I fully expect a boring dominant game plan and performance by GSP.
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

05.12.2013 | 3:44 PM ET

@Franklin880088 The fact that your post has four thumbs up is a clear indicator that this site is going to ******* ****. Why the **** are you pulling up stats to determine whether Hendricks is sloppy or not, stats can't say that. You have to see technique, you can't use stats what the ****? Stats are completely skewed when it comes to MMA. 

Example, Dong Hyun Kim's at like 55% striking accuracy but his striking is not good (although it is improving). You might be wondering, 'hm Anik, if he's landing at a 55% rate how is he not a good striker you dumb 15 year old?' to which I respond 'listen you ******* assface, ground strikes count in those stats and when you're a ******* master of Judo, chances are you're gonna be on top most of the time'. Stats don't say ****.

Here's the real facts from someone who's actually watch Hendricks fight apparently; Johny Hendricks is a sloppy striker. The man lifts his chin up, has his arms at his hips and just swings his left hand from the hip like he's swinging a ******* sledgehammer.

I'm actually gonna say this; when Hendricks ISN'T trying to KO his opponent, his boxing is decent. Tight, sound but repetitive combinations and effective footwork are all staples of his technical boxing game that were revealed in his fight with Josh Koscheck.

But when Hendricks is trying to knock his opponent out, he is by far the sloppiest striker in the UFC today. All of the UFC? Yes all of the UFC. The best and worst thing to happen to Hendricks is the power in that left hand of his.

* Edited at 05.12.2013, 3:46 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

05.12.2013 | 4:02 PM ET

Grizzly, you HAVE to be trolling: "because he's taking more risks in his fights trying to be more exciting fights and less boring and dominant to keep fans entertained in fights"

When exactly? Hell when ever?

edwinx1903
edwinx1903

05.12.2013 | 4:20 PM ET

1. GSP from his debut up to the first Serra fight which he lost fought a riskier style.

2. GSP post second Serra fight until the Fitch fight, he took less risk than before, but yet hadn't implied his safer more wrestling oriented decision style.

3. GSP post Fitch leading up to the second Kos fight took little to no risks and was even more wrestling oriented decision style.

4. GSP from the Shields fight up to the Diaz fight took a little more risks than he did in the previous 2 points.

A bit from a GSP interview before the Condit fight:

"I agree with the criticism. I want to do better. I want to give more entertainment to the fans. Ive been training to jump more on opportunities that are open to me. I'm still gonna fight my fight, but I'm going to be more opportunistic."

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/10/25/3551604/georges-st-pierre-agress-that-he-needs-to-finish-more-fights-ufc-carlos-condit-mma-news

His clearly admitting he wants to be a funner fighter and that he wants to jump more on opportunities which could be the reason why he's taking a more risks than he was before and that's why he's getting hit more now in fights than he was before.

* Edited at 05.12.2013, 4:20 PM ET *

Fatality
Fatality
  • Predictions:  1,982  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  476
  • Post Score: 268

05.12.2013 | 5:01 PM ET

I think Weidman has the best chance. First, I think he's the best fighter p4p of the three with the fewest holes in his game (striking will need work especially against Silva). Weidman has the best tools to control the fight for a winning decision. Hendricks and Silva rely more on a finish to win. Hendricks' grappling is still questionable. If he gets taken down, he might get finished or at least take significant damage. I think the chances of Weidman decisioning Silva via wrestling is better than Hendricks KOing out GSP or outstriking/outwrestling for a decision.

* Edited at 05.12.2013, 5:45 PM ET *

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,457  |  72.0%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

05.12.2013 | 5:11 PM ET

@Anik

"But when Hendricks is trying to knock his opponent out, he is by far the sloppiest striker in the UFC today. All of the UFC? Yes all of the UFC."

Remember when you said Hendricks' KO win over Fitch was just a fluke ? You just topped yourself there buddy, congrats had no idea that was possible. Could it be that you are still butt hurt that Johny knocked Fitch and Brenneman two of your favorites to the bush leagues ? It must be...

Greg Jackson on Johny's left hand

“One of my favorite things about Johny is that swinging left hand that he does, that he’s catching everybody with. What’s really cool about it is it starts out circular and then it catches everybody because when it ends, it’s actually almost straight. It’s such an unorthodox, interesting punch. I love it to death. Just studying it, I was like, ‘Wow, look at this.’ It’s a really, really cool shot. I really like the way he throws that punch.”

One would think that if Hendricks is so sloppy in fact like Anik put it "sloppiest striker in the UFC today" good strikers like Kampmann or Condit would see that sloppieness from a mile away and counter it easily. Weird enough Hendricks clipped Condit over and over with his left hand and knocked a few other guys the **** out with it.

"The man lifts his chin up, has his arms at his hips and just swings his left hand from the hip like he's swinging a ******* sledgehammer."

He doesn't do anything you said there. What I see in this gif is a great one two combination, excellent footwork, speed and covering the distance very well.

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

mmawizzard
mmawizzard
  • Predictions:  50,188  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5,282
  • Post Score: 145

05.12.2013 | 5:19 PM ET

Weidman got a title shot after beating Munoz I mean really what the hell there is so many people in the division that can beat weidman I promise Anderson will embarrass Weidman. 

"Wizzard of Tapology"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Cris Cyborg Scores Another KO Win In Boxing Match, Takes Dig At Claressa Shields
  • MMA Junkie : Tatsuro Taira hopes to get title shot vs. Alexandre Pantoja in 2024, become first Japanese UFC champion
  • MMA Junkie : Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen boxing exhibition: Best photos
  • Middle Easy : Caleb Plant Splashes Beer At Ryan Garcia’s Face At Tank Davis vs. Frank Martin Fight, Sends Message To ‘King Ry’
  • MMA Junkie : Cris Cyborg: Money has to be 'right' to face Claressa Shields in boxing
  • MMA Junkie : How to watch PFL 2024, Week 5: Who's fighting, lineup, start time, broadcast info
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 58 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Lowest total payout of 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC on ESPN 58 with John Lennon, AC/DC and that Willy Wonka nod
  • MMA Mania : ‘I’ll Kick His Ass Again’
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC Vegas 93
  • MMA Mania : Video! Caleb Plant Nails Ryan Garcia With A Beer
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for June 20-22
  • Jits Magazine : Beatriz ‘Bia’ Mesquita Dominates In Flawless MMA Debut At Spaten Fight Night
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Won That Fight’
  • Jits Magazine : Andy Varela Leaves ADCC 2024 For Craig Jones Invitational
  • Jits Magazine : Police Arrive After Fight Breaks Out At ADCC Dallas Open 2024
  • Jits Magazine : Top Prospects And Veteran Grapplers Shine In ADCC Dallas Open 2024 Results
  • MMA Mania : Sooo ... About Last Night
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 93, Silva vs. Sonnen 3, and Tank vs. Martin post-fight show: Reaction to Tatsuro Taira, Gervonta Davis’ brutal finishes
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 93 bonuses: Tatsuro Taira cashes extra $50k for main event injury finish