Topic: 2012 Subs of the Year

THE 2012 SUBMISSION OF THE YEAR

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

12.24.2012 | 3:05 PM ET

To coincide with the MMAFighting.com end of the year articles, I wanna make some end-of-the-year threads.

Here's the 2012 fight of the year thread.

Here's the 2012 knockout of the year thread.

And now, for the 2012 submission of the year.

A really sick transition and I love the beginning of the sub where he's just holding out Patricky's arm with one hand. Very slick kimura.

I love the position that this armbar happens in. That's why it's my number 9. This fight pretty much signaled the end of Kid Yamamoto's career, happening in his return to Japan. A significant armbar but definitely not the most significant of the year (we'll get onto that one later).

An excellent fight (thanks to John Albert of course). This rear naked choke looks painful, the grip that Jorgensen uses looks like he's trying to literally wring the life out of Albert.

Max Holloway was amazing in this fight, he was a UFC newcomer and still managed to dominate the stand up game completely. Poirier's superior strength and grappling caught up to Holloway though, and he pulled off this filthy mounted triangle armbar. It was an armbar at first but Holloway successfully rolled over onto his own stomach so Poirier switches it to a triangle before reversing the position and cranking the **** out of that random arm that Holloway left out. Dangerous submission.

We all knew it was going to happen, Mike Massenzio knew it was going to happen and yet it still happened. Palhares going for the fake takedown before pulling guard with one leg was a sneaky move but what I think makes this leg lock so much more awesome is how Massenzio gets up, jumps up and manages to lift Palhares off the ground but yet still can't shrug off Palhares' vice grip. Palhares does it yet again.

Oh the irony. Poirier succumbs to his favorite choke, the d'arce. An emphatic statement signaling the coming of the Korean Zombie and the perfect ending to the fight of the year.

The very first calf-slicer in UFC history and who else to do it than the risk-taking young gun, Charles Oliveira? It's basically a triangle on the leg that feels like someone is trying to split your muscle in half. Excellent display of jiu-jitsu by Oliveira, hope he also gets the first bicep-slicer in the UFC too.

Talk about a horror story, Demian Maia gave all of us nightmares with this neck crank. The best way to describe this choke would be with a juicer. Would've been the most vicious submission of the year if it weren't for number 2 and number 1 which surprisingly, was even worse than Maia pushing Rick Story's brain down his nose.

AHHH! WHAT A FILTHY SUBMISSION! Nate Diaz dominated the elite gatekeeper Jim Miller and topped it off with nearly ending his life. If my memory serves me right, Diaz defended the takedown from Jim Miller, got a one arm guillotine in but his legs weren't locked in properly to give him that full crank, so he rolled the jiu-jitsu wizard over, got mount and was a couple of seconds away from ripping Miller's head off. This would've definitely been first had it not been for the single most important and significant fight of the year.

Miesha Tate is the reason why this submission is number one. She let her ego and spirit get the better of her, even when her arm was cranked 90 degrees the opposite way. Everyone knows Rousey's gonna go for the armbar, and every time Rousey gets the armbar no matter what. Initially, the armbar was using Tate's turned elbow as the fulcrum, so that applies a lot of pressure on the bone but then she turns it and uses the elbow pointing downwards as the fulcrum (like a standard armbar) and just breaks Tate's arm in half. Ronda Rousey shows no mercy whatsoever.

This submission signaled the beginning of WMMA's peak and the start of the reign of the sport's newest superstar, Ronda Rousey. That's why it's my pick for submission of the year.

What's yours?

"الله أكبرl"

Responses

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

12.24.2012 | 8:04 PM ET

bumpin my own **** cause i can.

"الله أكبرl"

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

12.24.2012 | 8:07 PM ET

Can't do rankings on my phone but the Korean zombie wins for me cause it derailed the poirier express which was on a fast track to a title shot
TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,845  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

12.24.2012 | 8:26 PM ET

This is my list, and it took me a good 30 seconds to pick them lol

"3HUNNA"

stinkybike
stinkybike
  • Predictions:  9,179  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  198
  • Post Score: 229

12.24.2012 | 8:49 PM ET

I haven't updated this in a while but Rousey's arm bar is still my favorite.
Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

12.24.2012 | 9:26 PM ET

No one else appreciated the Wiman sub?  I'll re-look at my rankings.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,845  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

12.24.2012 | 9:59 PM ET

that sub was pretty nice, everybody was counting him out, thinking he was gonna get heel hooked in the first round, then he submitted Sass via armbar in the first, **** was crazy lol

"3HUNNA"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

12.24.2012 | 10:05 PM ET

Exactly why I have it ranked above Ronda.. Thanks for the back up @Trae!

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

12.24.2012 | 11:33 PM ET

My top ten. My list goes all the way to 20. Vinny/Pokrajac at 11, Held/Clementi at 12, Weedman/Ambrose at 13, Eye/Gurgel at 14, Riddle/Clements at 15, Yahya/Grispi at 16, Amoussou/Baker at 17, Lauzon/Varner at 18, Wiman/Sass at 19, and Bones/Belfort at 20.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

wake99
wake99
  • Predictions:  20,593  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,334
  • Post Score: 282

12.25.2012 | 11:39 PM ET

Wolfgang "Jedi" Janssen's flying reverse triangle!

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : IBJJF San Jose Spring Open 2024 Produces Entertaining Highlights
  • Jits Magazine : 20 BJJ Basics, Concepts And Philosophy You Must Know
  • Bad Left Hook : Charlo finally stripped of WBC middleweight title, Adames elevated
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Dana White Busts FedEX Driver In NYC
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Denies Receiving Contract Offer for Ian Garry Fight: ‘He’s Trying to Get Clickbait’
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Paid More in Taxes Than He Made From Fighting in the UFC Last Year
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 7: Jose Aldo returns to top 10
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Details Impromptu Wrestling Match with Alex Pereira, Weighs in on Potential Fight Between ‘Poatan’ and Jon Jones
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal 2 shifted to July 6, avoids UFC 302 conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Report: Jermall Charlo arrested for DWI after crashing car
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal-Diaz 2 Delayed To Avoid Scheduling Conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington denies contract offer for Ian Machado Garry: 'This fight has not been presented'
  • MMA Mania : Sticking Around! ‘This Is The Best I’ve Felt’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Naoya Inoue taking on Gervonta Davis
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Inoue facing Tank
  • MMA Junkie : Saudi Arabia announces extended partnership with UFC, including pay-per-view sponsorship
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler adds undefeated prospect to lineup
  • MMA Mania : ‘What I’m Going To Do To McGregor Is Going To Warrant’ Retirement
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’