Topic: St-Pierre vs. Diaz

St. Pierre vs. Diaz

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,794  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,656
  • Post Score: 60

12.13.2012 | 8:19 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for St. Pierre vs. Diaz. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 7

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

01.24.2013 | 9:28 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

Georges was star struck by Matt Hughes, but he has surpassed Matt Hughes by miles. The real issue here is that they are teammates. Jon Jones used to swear up, down, and sideways that he wouldn't fight Rashad Evans. It is a different situation though, since Evans wasn't even reigning champion, but still, if the day comes that everyone, including Rory himself realize that he is probably better than Georges they may yet fight. 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

01.24.2013 | 10:58 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

@Bill

There just no way Rory could make 155. He massive welter weight. I honestly doubt he be small at middle weight at all. 

"here I come to save the day"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

01.24.2013 | 11:04 PM ET

http://mag.fightmagazine.com/5-minutes-with-rory-macdonald-2650/

Rory walks around at 200 pounds. Says it takes a lot to make welterweight. I think after he fights Condit and gets that over with I wouldn't be surprised if he announced his move to middleweight. Most mw's cut from more then 200 but I don't see size being too much of an issue for Rory at mw.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

01.24.2013 | 11:38 PM ET

damn i got excited.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.25.2013 | 8:01 PM ET

I also agree that Rory could not make 155.  Even though he might do well at MW, I don't see him moving up as long as he got great, competitive fights at WW.  

He still has a long line of them at WW.  After Condit, he has Hendricks, Diaz, Fitch, Koscheck, Ellenberger and Story.  And after them, Kampmann, Kim, Maia, Marquardt, Bahadurzada, Simpson, Erick Silva, Alves.

He has many years of great competition at WW before he contemplates greener pastures.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.25.2013 | 8:06 PM ET

Rory MacDonald make 155? Who the **** said that? That is the most absurd stupid **** I've ever heard, the ****'s he gonna do, rip off his limbs?

"الله أكبرl"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

01.25.2013 | 8:18 PM ET

See that post ^^^^^^^^^^^  act like I posted the same ******* thing.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

01.25.2013 | 8:23 PM ET

Shhhh @lopati... b/c it's okay. :)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

01.30.2013 | 11:14 AM ET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr2ahBTwB10&feature=player_embedded

Good luck Nick.....

Saw this on facebook had to share it.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

02.14.2013 | 3:02 PM ET

Just read a Bleacher Report on 'Keys to Victory for Nick Diaz over GSP.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1527265-ufc-158-keys-to-victory-for-nick-diaz-over-georges-st-pierre

Interesting article.  Fun.  So, I too want to have fun and play Greg Jackson / Randy Couture game-plan master.

I want to see if I can devise a game-plan for Nick Diaz to pull off the unlikely upset.  Here we go!

If Nick DOESN'T change up his style for this one fight, here is how it will go down.

GSP will stick his jab in Nick's face all night long, take him down at will, and impose brutal, short, hard, explosive elbows and punches.  And come away with a UD.  That's how it stands now.  Nick will have less than a 20% chance to pull off the upset.

But it doesn't have to go down that way.  Nick can change up his style and surprise the world and re-invent himself, much as Condit did for the Diaz fight.

Nick can adopt the same running, tactical kick and run strategy and avoid the heavy damage.  Most of all, he MUST avoid the jabs, kicks and take-downs.  He must stay on his bicycle the entire fight, stay on his toes, dance and circle, always staying out of reach, control and manage the distance between them.

In short, Nick Diaz must, for this one single fight of his life, BECOME A POINT FIGHTER.  Like Frankie Edger against Jose Aldo.  He must use the old, tried and true tactics of the less powerful guy against the more powerful one.

He must adopt 'hit and run' guerrilla warfare.  Bob and weave, stick and jab, hit and run, flurry and get back the hell out, 

This strategy worked for Gene Tunney in defeating Jack Dempsey twice, Ali over Sonny Liston twice, Frankie Edgar over BJ Penn twice, and Sugar Ray Leonard over Marvin Hagler. 

If Diaz does not choose to adapt these tactics, and he probably won't, he will get taken down, over and over.  And once on his back, he will be unable to push the stronger, heavier man off of him.  Sure, he possesses enough skills to avoid the submission, but that's it.  He should try to attack off his back and try armbars, triangles, kimuras, sweeps, etc.  But he will find GSP very adept at avoiding submissions.  

Nick needs to change his style for this one fight.  But I don't know if he has the humility or savvy to understand that fighting smart is not the same thing as being a chicken.

* Edited at 02.14.2013, 3:08 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

02.14.2013 | 3:08 PM ET

Oh bleacher report...how you make us laugh.

GSP isn't losing a point fight. What happens when GSP goes for a TD? GSP will take anyone down. 

The way to beat GSP is to constantly hit him in the face, until he drops. At least, that's Nick's best shot.

Joelkiz
Joelkiz
  • Predictions:  3,775  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 331

02.14.2013 | 3:35 PM ET

Rory has stated that he will probably move up to middleweight. The guys is a horse, and as he gets a little older the weight cut will get harder. Still, if anyone were to upset GSP, I think that MacDonald would be right there for the title shot.

"Any hype about Cheick Kongo is a lie. Odds are his fight is going to suck. The Pat Barry fight is the exception, not the other way around."

amp112
amp112

02.14.2013 | 3:52 PM ET

Rory would do well at MW. He's really strong for a WW, so he'll probably still be able to muscle people around at MW
Joelkiz
Joelkiz

02.14.2013 | 4:08 PM ET

It was posted earlier the Diaz was "the least deserving title challenger ever." I am of the opinion that Hendricks is more deserving, but there have been many worse challengers than Diaz. Here is my top 10 list in no particular order: 
Tank Abbott
Demian Maia (one win after getting ktfo)
Jorge Pantino
André Pederneiras
Dan Hardy (did anyone think he had a shot)
John Lober
Elvis Sinosic 
Justin Eilers
Kimo Leopoldo (superfight championship)
Brock Lensnar (I know he won, but it was only his fourth fight)

"Any hype about Cheick Kongo is a lie. Odds are his fight is going to suck. The Pat Barry fight is the exception, not the other way around."

Joelkiz
Joelkiz

02.14.2013 | 4:14 PM ET

Diaz was compared to Serra earlier. The difference between the two was that Diaz is a headhunter, where as Serra opened up his knockout punch with body shots. Also Diaz knocks out his opponents with a flurry of punches, and Serra had more one punch power, giving Serra more of a punchers chance.

Joelkiz
Joelkiz

02.14.2013 | 4:32 PM ET

I am predicting St Pierre will exploit the boxing stance of Diaz. Diaz stands with his foot facing inwards which is why Condit attacked him with leg kicks, and Henderson was so successful against Nate.

Also Diaz has lost decisions to grapplers similar to GSP, such as Sanchez, Riggs, Sherk, and Parisyan. Plus, there were claims by Diaz that the reason he failed his drug test was that he was so fatigued against Condit. I expect the pressure by GSP should push Diaz past his limit.

amp112
amp112

02.14.2013 | 4:54 PM ET

A lot of those grappler losses were a while ago before Diaz hit his peak. GSP, however, is on a completely different level than those grapplers (with the exception of Sherk maybe)
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

02.14.2013 | 6:35 PM ET

Sherk didn't take him down.

"الله أكبرl"

jimville2012
jimville2012
  • Predictions:  1  |  100.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 300

02.15.2013 | 4:35 PM ET

go GSP go

"No Pain,No Gain"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

02.15.2013 | 11:35 PM ET

Diaz is not the favorite by any means, but he has a much better chance stylistically than anyone Georges has faced in years. WATCH THIS FIGHT

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Page 7

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul Postponed Following Boxing Legend’s Health Condition
  • MMA Junkie : From Las Vegas brawl to UFC 302: How Ailin Perez vs. Joselyne Edwards grew into a heated grudge match
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier live stream watch party
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Wilder Vs. Zhang Results, Streaming Updates
  • Middle Easy : Video: Kayla Harrison Slams Alex Pereira Hard To The Mat With Powerful Judo Throw
  • MMAFighting.com : Paulo Costa believes impressive UFC 302 performance can vault him to title shot
  • MMA Mania : ‘Mom Doesn’t Want Me To KO You’
  • MMA Mania : UFC 302 Start Time, Full Fight Details!
  • Middle Easy : ‘Proud Dad’ Conor McGregor Shares Video Of Son Conor Jr. Earning First BJJ Stripe In Ireland
  • MMA Junkie : Kevin Holland vs. Michal Oleksiejczuk prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown explains what Dustin Poirier needs to do to beat Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez confident Dustin Poirier's guillotine won't work on Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 start time, fight card, TV schedule for Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier, Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa
  • MMA Mania : Zhang Vs. Wilder Start Time, Fight Card Details
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 predictions: Five blowout picks in Newark, but are upsets looming?
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 predictions
  • MMA Mania : Lightweight’s Greatest Brawler Takes A Final Swipe At UFC Gold