Topic: Benson Henderson

Toothpicks and Title Fights

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

12.09.2012 | 1:35 PM ET

Ben has been a monster since leaving the WEC. Handily winning 5 fights and eking out another has left me appreciating him more and more. If he continues to dominate opponents the way he did against Nate Diaz, it won't be long before he's in talks for the title of greatest LW ever. Benson is 6-0 as a LW in the UFC and 3-0 in UFC LW title fights. BJ Penn is 11-3-1 as a LW in UFC bouts and 4-3-1 in UFC LW title fights. Frankie Edgar is 9-3-1 as a LW in the UFC and 3-2-1 in UFC LW title fights. Ben needs to continue to defend the title and win several more LW bouts, but he is well on his way to getting there. With Ben's experience in 25 minute fights (6-1, with 2 submissions and a total in-cage time of 139min 38 secs) it appears no fighter will have an easy win in front of them, nor will they have an experience advantage.

What's even crazier is that Ben may have fought an entire title defense with a toothpick in his mouth. There has been some significant speculation on what the athletic commission might do, now that it appears video evidence confirms this toothpick story. 

I don't know about you guys, but I'm uncertain of the commission. I can see a possible fine for bringing an unapproved object into the cage, but with athletic commissions, you never know what they might do. I would be really disappointed if they changed the result of the fight to a NC (although I think that is highly unlikely), but I'm unsure of what the commission has the option of doing. 

Anyway, just wanted to show some appreciation for Ben and ask what you guys think about the toothpick controversy (I'm sure someone will dub it toothpickgate, but it's too long of a word, and that would be really annoying).

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

"Smooth" Benson Henderson

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Name: Benson Henderson
  • Pro MMA Record: 30-12-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Smooth
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: March 10, 2023 in BFC
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 154.6 lbs
  • Affiliation: MMA Lab
  • Height: 5'9" (175cm) | Reach: 70.0" (178cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,471,000 USD
  • Born: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
  • Fighting out of: Glendale, Arizona
  • College: Dana College
  • Foundation Style: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

12.09.2012 | 5:44 PM ET

curtwag84 is correct.

Benson Henderson has fought with a toothpick in his mouth before, watch him vs Clay Guida and you'll see it at the end right after the fight.

"الله أكبرl"

StealingFire
StealingFire
  • Predictions:  171  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  921
  • Post Score: 155

12.09.2012 | 6:09 PM ET

Ben Henderson is a great decision fighter.

"Prepare for an eternity of me kicking your ass. -Hank Hill"

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

12.09.2012 | 6:24 PM ET

are you kidding me @stealingfire? all of bendo's opponents are very tough to finish. clay guida has been submitted a decent amount of times, but that's over a long fight career and the majority are before he was in the ufc. dude looks to finish. it's not his fault his opponents are durable as ****

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

SonnensSyringe
SonnensSyringe
  • Predictions:  79,138  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,881
  • Post Score: 337

12.09.2012 | 6:35 PM ET

Strip him of the title and kick him out of the UFC. It's the ONLY thing to do. Nate Diaz was clearly going to win a lopsided decision if not for that toothpick. I demand this travesty be rectified at once. 

Edit: Perhaps it is not the time for deadpanned sarcasm.

* Edited at 12.09.2012, 6:49 PM ET *

"You look like a 1987 John Hughes high school bully." - Swickotine

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

12.09.2012 | 6:39 PM ET

@Greg's point still stands and I have to agree with him on this.  He violated a rule... rules that govern a sanctioned sport.  You simply can not allow any exceptions.... Pandora's box will open up.  A fine is def in order if this is proven... safety is priority one anywhere in any occupation.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

12.09.2012 | 6:41 PM ET

Yeah a fine is in order. For Nate Diaz for getting his ass whipped by a guy with a toothpick in his mouth. Now I know why they call him "Smooth"

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

SonnensSyringe
SonnensSyringe
  • Predictions:  79,138  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,881
  • Post Score: 337

12.09.2012 | 6:48 PM ET

Yeah, in all seriousness, a fine sounds like the best course of action. Rules are there to be enforced. Despite not meriting a change in the decision of the fight, disciplinary action is a must. Especially if we're dealing with fighter safety (for both individuals). I expect the commission to deal out something significant along the lines of a $50,000 fine; a message to all competitors that this will no longer be tolerated. 

* Edited at 12.09.2012, 6:48 PM ET *

"You look like a 1987 John Hughes high school bully." - Swickotine

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,939  |  71.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

12.09.2012 | 6:52 PM ET

Lol @ the downers for Sonnens, come on guys he was obviously joking !

Also,

I actually think Stealingfire isn't that far off. Sure Miller, Bocek, Guida, Edgar or Diaz, are all tough guys but his finishing rate in the UFC at this point is at 0 %

Bendo even when he dominates the whole fight does not have the killer instict that other fighters seem to have.

He does have a wicked guillotine but we didn't see that weopon in a long time. He's more of a grinder. I would have to agree with that...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

fungi
fungi
  • Predictions:  2,267  |  54.8%
  • Forum Posts:  110
  • Post Score: 444

12.09.2012 | 7:13 PM ET

Ben: "You can take me to the Athletic Commission!"
Ben: "Lock me up!"
Ben: "Throw in the towel!"
Ben: "I ain't afraid to bust somebody with a toothpick!"
Everybody: "I ain't --- WHOA?!!!!!"

p.s. "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood" 

"zero sum game. some lose, some gain."

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

12.09.2012 | 7:14 PM ET

I don't feel that the tooth pick could of really caused any damage to either fighter, it's just a small piece of wood. I guess worst case scenario would be Bendo gets hit and the toothpick pokes his tongue or cheek.
I really don't feel that this should merit any kind of action from the commission I think at most he should just get a warning.  

"Is reality really realistic?"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

12.09.2012 | 9:02 PM ET

Dana White responds to the 'alleged' toothpick in Ben Henderson's mouth DURING his fight last night at UFC on Fox 5 versus Nate Diaz:

"Let me tell you what, I saw a toothpick pop out of his mouth when he walked back to the corner. That is the craziest thing I have ever seen. That is so not legal it's not even funny. It's incredible. I've never seen anything like it in my 43 years on Earth. I doubt (he gets fine), I mean why could you fine him for it? But I think that the athletic commission will be looking for that in the future

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

12.09.2012 | 9:04 PM ET

Nice find @Mike... interesting how he admitts that it is "so not legal", but no consequenses.... who knows what will happen... but at least most of us are on the same page... it's freaking illegal!

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

12.09.2012 | 9:22 PM ET

any illegal actions should be punished by the athletic commission and the UFC or it can seem like the UFC is condoning them, but we all know at this point that uncle Dana will not punish those who are his friends or make him money

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

12.09.2012 | 9:32 PM ET

Dana has nothing to do with the Commission, if they wanna push Benson ... they'll do it. Do you think any Athletic Commission gives two ****s what Dana wants? 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

StickmanAndrw
StickmanAndrw
  • Predictions:  5,405  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,146
  • Post Score: 141

12.09.2012 | 11:10 PM ET

Yeah, the toothpick needs to go.  It probably is harmless, but the rules are the rules.  And frankly, the last thing the UFC needed on primetime television is someone dying in the Octagon....  via toothpick.  

Worth noting, Bendo looked GOOD last night!  I freely admit I underestimated him and thought Diaz would destroy him.  So Bendo, if you or any of your homeys are seeing this, I humbly apologize, please don't come after me with a toothpick

"I can't think of anything witty to say at the moment..."

zarog
zarog

12.09.2012 | 11:11 PM ET

Stickman, I thought you WERE toothpicks? You don't like other toothpicks? Were they mean to you? I'm sure Ben would chew on them for you.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

StickmanAndrw
StickmanAndrw
  • Predictions:  5,405  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,146
  • Post Score: 141

12.09.2012 | 11:23 PM ET

@Zarog: LMAO!  That was good!

Sadly, toothpicks and I haven't had a very good relationship.  When I was 10, I actually had to go to the emergency room because I had stepped on a toothpick and it somehow went up my foot to the point where the doctor had to use priers to remove it!

"I can't think of anything witty to say at the moment..."

zarog
zarog

12.09.2012 | 11:25 PM ET

@Stickman Chew on it. Teach that toothpick what's up.

EDIT: Also, I feel like that the whole going into your foot thing is the exact definition of toothpicks "being mean to you."

* Edited at 12.09.2012, 11:25 PM ET *

zarog
zarog

12.09.2012 | 11:54 PM ET

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know John Crouch did an interview over the fight. Kind of interesting.

zarog
zarog

12.11.2012 | 11:03 AM ET

The Washington State Athletic Commission has made the statement that they will not be investigating the toothpick incident with Henderson. However, they did say they would be looking at the rules to see what should be done moving forward. Anyway, that should be the end of the toothpick incident.

WAR HENDERSON!!!

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Canelo vs Munguia preview, Paul vs Tyson rules, more
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner David Onama apologizes for weight miss: 'My body gave up on me'
  • MMA Junkie : Chris Padilla 'lost hope many times' on long journey to UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall Pans Manchester PPV Start Time: ‘It’s Terrible’
  • Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Announces Brand New 3 Million Dollar BJJ Tournament
  • UFC.com : UFC Welcomes Anker As Its Official Charging Partner In The Middle East And Africa
  • Jits Magazine : Mo Jassim Announces Women’s Absolute Division For ADCC 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Miserable, Mean, And We Can’t Stand Her
  • MMA Mania : PFL Salt Lake City Fight Card Revealed!
  • MMA Junkie : Bogdan Guskov proud to be first Uzbekistan fighter to enter UFC rankings: 'This is my history'
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Sides with Jamahal Hill in UFC 300 KO Controversy: ‘He’s Got a Point Here’
  • MMA Junkie : Victor Henry quotes Kim Kardashian after UFC on ESPN 55 bounce back from groin-shot no contest
  • MMA Mania : ‘PFL Is Not Making A Lot Of Money’
  • MMA Mania : ‘He Literally Is Always In Trouble’
  • MMAFighting.com : Beneil Dariush announced as 2024 Forrest Griffin Community Award recipient
  • UFC.com : Five Caio Borralho Fights To Watch Before UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Will Be Sanctioned as a Professional Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez confident she could impose her will against Zhang Weili: 'My grappling is very, very good'
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘UFC 301 countdown’ video
  • MMA Mania : Sorry, Bobby! ‘Baddy’ Vs. Moicano ‘Would Be Very, Very Funny’