Topic: Lyoto Machida

Next for Machida after 129?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

billy
billy
  • Predictions:  391  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  145
  • Post Score: 16

05.02.2011 | 8:42 PM ET

Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see this being discussed. I thought Machida beat Rampage and there's no question he beat Randy!

So what's next for him and where does he stand at 205?  Shogun, Griffin, Rashad, Davis, Rampage, Nogueira, Franklin, Jones, Hamill, Ortiz, and Bader are all booked.  What does that even leave? 

Should they put Machida against Matyushenko to keep re-building his image? Or wait for one of the guys listed above? If so, who and do you think he'll be fighting for the title again soon?

Personally I think he still could be the #2 guy before long.

"proving to daddy that i'm no fool"

Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Lyoto Carvalho Machida
  • Pro MMA Record: 26-12-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Dragon
  • Current Streak: 4 Losses
  • Last Fight: May 13, 2022 in BFC
  • Weight Class: Middleweight | Last Weigh-In: 185.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Black House MMA
  • Height: 6'1" (186cm) | Reach: 74.0" (188cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,090,000 USD
  • Born: Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
  • Fighting out of: Los Angeles, California
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 4

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

05.04.2011 | 2:16 PM ET

I wouldn't be interested in Vera/Machida. Vera has said in the past awhile back that he didn't want to face Jones straight away because he wanted to train and get better before he did. He hasn't been the same since his notable win over Patt. He's a very inconsistent fighter and has all the skills to become a threat but his mental focus deteriorates very quickly. This would be a dull fight and if anything Machida would either TKO/KO Vera or it'd go to a decision. My guess is Machida would take him out quick.
I truly wish Brandon would get his focus back because he has the tools to become a threat and he use to be a promising prospect. I honestly thought he was going to get cut or already was.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

05.04.2011 | 2:22 PM ET

@BodyModifier .. He was cut briefly but since Thiago failed his drug test and the bout was a NC he was brought back for one more chance... Even though he shouldnt have because the drugs Thiago took didnt effect his peformance i do not think.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

05.04.2011 | 2:42 PM ET

@Thiago. Thiago still would have won the fight. If that's the case then Brandon does deserve another shot to prove he belongs in the division. Someone like Machida would just be welcoming him out the door of the UFC. He needs a fight that can help embellish and showcase the skills he has against an opponent that fares well against his style. Machida would pick him apart.
Do you know when Thiago is able to come back and what his suspension is? I forget it's been awhile since I've read about it.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

05.04.2011 | 2:46 PM ET

I'm not convinced the UFC is really looking to keep Brandon Vera around.  I think they're looking at him as a potentially shot fighter but that giving him another chance due to the drug situation was the fair thing to do.  As a result I don't know that they'll give Vera an easy or rebuilding type of fight.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.04.2011 | 3:00 PM ET

I'm surprised Vera isn't scheduled yet.  This thiago stuff is over a month old.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,712  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.04.2011 | 3:32 PM ET

@gregory i agree about him being a shot fighter in the eyes of the ufc. @kalibo, he might still be under med suspension for the nose, didnt he have to have surgery? 

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.04.2011 | 4:06 PM ET

i didn't hear that, but it is possible. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

05.04.2011 | 4:10 PM ET

Of course the drugs Thaigo took helped him in the fight, that is crazy saying it didn't.

But then again, he would have won anyways. Vera deserves a shot just like anyone else who has been cheated like that, I hope he does well.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

05.04.2011 | 4:10 PM ET

@Bodymodifier... Am he is allowed to reapply for his license on January 1st but it isnt a definate that he gets it... I ******* hope so man...! He is a serious fighter it would be a shame if he couldnt reapply.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.05.2011 | 11:30 AM ET

Thiago handled the situation very well.  He admitted it straight away and took his penalty like a man.  He will get his license back for sure imo b/c he is one of the very few that took responsibility for his actions and took his punishment.

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

05.05.2011 | 11:33 AM ET

Yeh true... But he really shouldnt have swapped pisses in the first place ... It turns out he would have been allowed fight anyway how sickening?

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.05.2011 | 11:36 AM ET

He knows that and that is why he was straight up with the UFC and commision.  He was wrong, but he was a man about it the outcome instead of dragging it out and costing people time and money. 

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

05.05.2011 | 12:19 PM ET

Kalibo you would think that since he admitted what he did that it would gain him favor in the eyes of the commission. But it's the opposite.  Other fighters that tested positive but refused to admit it and fought the process had their suspensions and fines reduced (Sonnen, Sherk). Thiago Silva came out honestly and described why he did it, and had the book thrown at him.

The lesson to other fighters: Never admit it, even if you're guilty.

Sad.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.05.2011 | 12:21 PM ET

Very sad.  I think there was questions surrounding Sonnen/Sherk with the Sonnen saying he notified the commision in advance and the handling of Sherk's sample(s).. but you're right.  That is crazy. 

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

05.05.2011 | 12:31 PM ET

Sad!

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,712  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.05.2011 | 3:40 PM ET

I respect his honesty and i can understand his reasons for doing what he did even if i dont agree with them.  Good for him.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia start time, TV schedule, ring walks
  • MMA Mania : Canelo Vs Munguia Odds, Finals Betting Lines
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC 301 PPV Results, Streaming Updates
  • Jits Magazine : Bianca Basilio Puts Opponent To Sleep In 35 Seconds At ONE Fight Night 22
  • Jits Magazine : Majestic BJJ Challenge 4 Full Results And Review
  • Bad Left Hook : Canelo vs Munguia: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 odds: Opening and closing betting line movements
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Results: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: CEAST AND DESIST!
  • MMA Junkie : Artur Beterbiev vs. Dmitry Bivol postponed due to injury
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Welcomes Jones’ Heavyweight Challenge
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Accepts Jones’ Heavyweight Challenge
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 ABC Conference set for July in Louisville, Ky.
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 ABC Conference set for July in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Video! Oliveira Cradles Teammate During Terrifying Weight Cut
  • UFC.com : Drakkar Klose Is Tuning Out The Noise
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Fighters talk favorite Jose Aldo memories ahead of UFC 301
  • Bad Left Hook : Beterbiev vs Bivol postponed due to injury, rest of card goes on