Topic: Kazushi Sakuraba

SAKU

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

10.25.2012 | 5:38 PM ET

I recently watched some early Pride DVDs,  Pride 1-8 to be specific. Sakuraba is the **** and I mean no disrespect, but does anyone else think some of the stoppages were suspect? In his bout with Anthony Macias, I didn't see a tap and the bell rang like 1 second after the ref stopped the fight. The Royler Gracie stoppage was also a *** moment for me. I know this is "Jesus riding dinosaurs" old but I wanted to know if you guys think some of these fights were not so much "fixed" for him, but perhaps had some suspect refereeing in his favor? Also, watching Mark Coleman tap to the Takada heel hook was like watching old school WWF wrasslin'.

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: 桜庭和志, Sakuraba Kazushi
  • Pro MMA Record: 26-17-1, 2 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Gracie Hunter
  • Current Streak: 5 Losses
  • Last Fight: December 29, 2015 in RFF
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Laughter7
  • Height: 5'11" (180cm) | Reach: N/A
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $30,000 USD
  • Born: Katagami, Akita, Japan
  • Fighting out of: Setagaya, Tokyo, Japan
  • College: N/A
  • Foundation Style: Wrestling
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.25.2012 | 6:47 PM ET

I saw him fight live twice :)

I lived in Tokyo in 2007-08 and caught quite a few good shows.

Saw PRIDE 34 (that's where I "fell in love" with Shinya Aoki) and saw Sakuraba in 2007 K-1 Dynamite!! (damn Minowaman lost!) against Funaki and in saw him lose to Manhoef in DREAM 4 ("Mayhem" Miller lost there too, though I had no idea who he was at the time). Mousasi and Overeem won on that card too ... I guess that's one of the reasons I want Overeem to beat JDS ... we go way back :)

The atmosphere in Japan was sick ... I've never been to a UFC show so I can't compare, but Japan was crazy!

I guess some of the fights were fixed or shall I say "manipulated" to some extent, but you have to understand, the sport was different back then, It wasn't about records and belts (even though they existed), it was about fighting and to some extent giving the fans what (and who) they wanted. 

I actually like what the sport's become and it's a natural and positive evolution, even with the addition of "game planning" and "picky fight choosing" ... but that doesn't mean I won't always have a soft spot in my heart for the crazy Japan days ...

* Edited at 10.25.2012, 6:56 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

10.25.2012 | 6:52 PM ET

Takada/Coleman was pretty clearly fixed, as was probably every Takada fight that he won. I can't say anything about the Sakuraba fights as I've never noticed anything, but I guess I wouldn't put it past Pride. At the same time, there is no way the Gracies would be in on it, they have way too much family Pride to let anyone submit them (which is why they never really tapped). And I doubt Sak needed any help with Macias, he did tap Renzo. 

I guess a possible reasoning for the quick bell was to let Sakuraba know to let go of the lock? Like a whistle in soccer or something.

"We Are All One"

cal1
cal1

10.25.2012 | 7:24 PM ET

Thanks for responding, guys. @Yoss that's awseome, big ups. @minotauro I see your point and I agree. Also, why did Sakuraba have to fight Royce for an unlimited amount of rounds (6 rounds!) in the 2000 Grand Prix when other fighters on the card only fought the usual amount. I ask this as an early pride noob as I did not start following mma until I was 21 (2005) and I'm catching up on the old Pride stuff because I was UFC breast-fed.

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

10.25.2012 | 7:45 PM ET

@Cal, Im pretty sure the Gracies asked for the no time limit. I think that was the fight where they also demanded that the only way the fight would end was if Royce tapped (no ref stoppages)

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

10.25.2012 | 11:49 PM ET

^^^This is pretty much right. Since Sakuraba had defeated a few Gracies, Royce made a clause that if they fought each other in the openweight tournament it would have to be a no limit, no resets, no ref stoppages. Since there was no resets, there was a lot of stalling in corners. Also I'm pretty sure the finals of the GP, between Coleman and Vovchanchyn was a no limit bout as well, but Coleman had a ton of gas since Fujita's corner threw the towel immediately the bout before and Vovchanchyn was a little gassed already from having a war with Sakuraba.

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

Zero91Hero
Zero91Hero
  • Predictions:  235  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 267

10.26.2012 | 3:01 AM ET

Sakuraba

Yeah, I doubt Sakuraba's fights with Gracies were fixed. I mean the dude broke Renzo's arm. He would have most likely broke Royler's arm too if the ref didn't stop that fight. 
cal1
cal1

10.26.2012 | 11:00 AM ET

Thanks for the discussion everyone. After watching the Mezger vs. Sakuraba fight, I have come to the conclusion that early PRIDE bouts were indeed very suspect. But bad judging can still be seen today, so I will just drop my conspiracy **** and finish watching the rest of my PRIDE DVDs and enjoy them.

On a side note, seeing Wanderlai Silva in his first two PRIDE bouts was cool. In the first one, I'm thinking "Oh **** here comes the vicious hooks and knees from the Axe Murderer"... bout ended in dec. Watched 2nd bout, and he wins with a RNC. I'm like "*** WHERE ARE THE PRIDE WANDY HIGHLIGHTS OF HIM MURDERING PEOPLE", I guess I will get to those soon enough.

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Announces Brand New 3 Million Dollar BJJ Tournament
  • UFC.com : UFC Welcomes Anker As Its Official Charging Partner In The Middle East And Africa
  • Jits Magazine : Mo Jassim Announces Women’s Absolute Division For ADCC 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Miserable, Mean, And We Can’t Stand Her
  • MMA Mania : PFL Salt Lake City Fight Card Revealed!
  • MMA Junkie : Bogdan Guskov proud to be first Uzbekistan fighter to enter UFC rankings: 'This is my history'
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Sides with Jamahal Hill in UFC 300 KO Controversy: ‘He’s Got a Point Here’
  • MMA Junkie : Victor Henry quotes Kim Kardashian after UFC on ESPN 55 bounce back from groin-shot no contest
  • MMA Mania : ‘PFL Is Not Making A Lot Of Money’
  • MMA Mania : ‘He Literally Is Always In Trouble’
  • MMAFighting.com : Beneil Dariush announced as 2024 Forrest Griffin Community Award recipient
  • UFC.com : Five Caio Borralho Fights To Watch Before UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Will Be Sanctioned as a Professional Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez confident she could impose her will against Zhang Weili: 'My grappling is very, very good'
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘UFC 301 countdown’ video
  • MMA Mania : Sorry, Bobby! ‘Baddy’ Vs. Moicano ‘Would Be Very, Very Funny’
  • UFC.com : Main Event Spotlight | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Hernandez out of UFC 302 fight with Roman Dolidze
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 15-Month-Old Son
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 18-Month-Old Son