Tapology Forums

Jones and Sonnen to coach the next TUF

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

10.16.2012 | 3:14 PM ET

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-ufc-jon-jones-chael-sonnen-ultimate-fighter-20121016,0,1269872.story

Looks like they will fight on April 27th

* Edited at 10.16.2012, 3:24 PM ET *

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 7

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

10.17.2012 | 1:38 AM ET

Live2, Ironically I originally put almonds but then went with pistachios because they are GREEN

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

SonnensSyringe
SonnensSyringe
  • Predictions:  79,138  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,881
  • Post Score: 337

10.17.2012 | 1:47 AM ET

I got the subtlety of your post immediately. I was having none of it, because I'm a party pooper. 

"You look like a 1987 John Hughes high school bully." - Swickotine

Lopati
Lopati

10.17.2012 | 1:48 AM ET

yeah this moderator thing sucked all the fun out of you didnt it, lol.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

10.17.2012 | 2:02 AM ET

There is a difference between up and coming guys and Bibiano Fernandes. Fernandes was a former mundials champion that came onto the scene and dominated like a boss. He even dominated Faber for the most of the match until Faber got 1-2 elbows in to cause the cut. Winning the Dream FW tournament (with Warren going on to be the Bellator FW title holder) gave him a lot of momentum in the MMA community, which gives him the ability to barter and ask for a ton of money.

Say you have someone like Francisco Rivera, before he join the WEC/UFC. A good prospect with a good wins with a bright future.
1.You can go to Bellator and maybe win the tournament, which will net you good money and that is even if you are lucky to get into the tournament.
2.Go to One FC where they will probably pay you a pretty small contract since you have quite a few costs due to travel they will need to pay for and most of all you get to deal with horrible jet lag because you are fighting in a timezone difference of about 12 hours. If you go on to dominate you probably make $100k if you become a big name and the sponsor money is ok.
3. Strikeforce Where the pay is ok, but you fight twice a year if you are lucky.
4 The UFC, where they can build you as a star if you keep winning and you can end up making probably about $100k a fight like Jon Fitch, $66k a fight like Mike Pyle (33k show/33k to win), or even if you are good enough, millions a fight. On top of that you get the best sponsorship deals because you are in the best organization in MMA, in the best country for marketing in the world. AND if you start declining and have made a name for yourself you can shill yourself out to the lower organizations like Bellator and One FC to make $50k or whatever.

**** ask Bob Sapp. He made his money in the #1 MMA and kickboxing promotions in the world and now makes $70k
to throw a fight. This is after Sapp making millions in Japan. So yeah. There is definitely a reason most MMA fighters want into the UFC.

I would say a better comparison is that the UFC is like the Man United, Man City, Barcelona, and Real Madrid. They have the best players and the most money to be made. Why would you go off to Newcastle United for a smaller sum when you can just stay with the best club making the best money and the most recognition and the best sponsorship deals, making millions of more dollars (for the US the Yankees are probably the best comparision).

EDIT: **** I think I missed the sarcasm of Lopati's post. -_-

* Edited at 10.17.2012, 2:03 AM ET *

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

SonnensSyringe
SonnensSyringe
  • Predictions:  79,138  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,881
  • Post Score: 337

10.17.2012 | 2:06 AM ET

I was being sarcastic. If I lost my humor, I'd die a sad soul.

"You look like a 1987 John Hughes high school bully." - Swickotine

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

10.17.2012 | 2:15 AM ET

my mom said lifes like a box of chocolates

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Lopati
Lopati

10.17.2012 | 2:24 AM ET

***BREAKING*** The Ultimate Fighter Season 17 will be moving to TUESDAY nights on FX. #JonesSonnenTUF17

FrontRowBrian posted this 

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

10.17.2012 | 2:30 AM ET

FrontRowStupid

Lopati
Lopati

10.17.2012 | 2:32 AM ET

Wish, I agree that with you about Bibiano being a different situation due to his name carrying more wieght than most guys.  But as Bellator, OneFC and the other orgs I listed grow they will be able to match contracts of Zuffa for up and comers then the fighters will get more money. Bellator probably pays prelim card guys 8/8 no different than Zuffa ya know. why not talk to Bellator and Zuffa and see if you can bump it up to 10/10???

But I still stand by my stance that by strictly negotiating with Zuffa you are limiting your ability to maximize your money.  Also Zuffa doesnt just allow you to be sponsored by anyone anymore. They have a list of people they approve.  Look at Bigfoots trunks at his fight with Brown all duct taped up covering his sponsors.

here is an example of what I am saying Wish.

Say I am an 8-0 regional pro and have a chance to sign a 3 fight deal with Zuffa that goes 6/6, 8/8 10/10.  And I have an offer to fight in EFCAfrica for 5/5, 7/7 9/9.  it is a thousand dollar difference but you also get the opportunity to fight in South Africa and see **** you may never see if you insta sign with Zuffa.  If I am good enough for Zuffa they will still be there after I win my 3 fights at EFC and I will be able to get more money because I now have a bigger following due to the fact I have been fighting around the world.

DJ Linderman told me that was one of the coolest things about fighting for Cage Warriors was the places he got to ge he may never have had the chance to see otherwise.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Lopati
Lopati

10.17.2012 | 2:33 AM ET

Jitz Jitz Jitz, lol.

Lopati
Lopati

10.17.2012 | 2:42 AM ET

maybe it hadnt been posted here but here you go, let the debate begin.

Breaking* According to industry insider "Mac", Stephan Bonnar will step in for Chael Sonnen at UFC 155 to face Forrest Griffin on 12.29

Another FRB special just for my boy JITZ

* Edited at 10.17.2012, 2:51 AM ET *

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

10.17.2012 | 2:53 AM ET

FrontRow******** is the Jon Jones of guerilla MMA journalism for me. He is annoying as ****, but he is good. Thats all I'll say.

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

10.17.2012 | 3:02 AM ET

It's a give and take deal though. If DJ has just joined the UFC he could be up to a $30k contract after doing well and renegotiating his contract and go ahead to Jordan or Lebanon (can't remember where it took place) with the money he made. Then his name is then already out in multiple countries like Korea, Japan, all of Europe, Abu Dhabi, Brazil, etc because the UFC is already shown in those countries on television. If you go to EFC Africa you also might have to deal with expenses like paying for your own plane ticket and your corners ticket, as I would assume many organizations don't want to pay those expenses when they could just bring in a local fighter.

I mean it's all good to use it to visit countries, but if you want the most money and you have the skills to make it in the UFC. The UFC will 100% make you the most money, no if, ands, or buts. I was confused by Khalidov for that very reason. The guy has the potential to be a top 5 MW and he would make easily $100k a fight after his first 4-6 fight contract is finished or if he really wants to push it make a 2-3 fight contract. ****, Khalidov is better than Mark Munoz and Munoz made $42k to show and another $42k to win. Chieck Kongo made 70k to show and 70k to win at UFC 149. He could take 10 trips easy to Jordan on that money. Currently Khalidov makes something like $40k with KSW (not sure what Strikeforce will pay).

I understand where you are coming from though if you are wanting to build a name and travel before you join a major organization that is a good thing to do, but when you hit the big leagues and big money I think the UFC is the best option if it is given to you. I just see it as the fastest way to make money is the UFC and since MMA careers are so short, the UFC, in my opinion, is the best option. I think it was really telling where the money is in MMA when Lorenz Larkin got on his knees and begged Dana for backroom bonus's.

One last food for thought. Ian McCall in his first fight was contracted for $8k to show and $8k to win. He lost and Dana gave him an extra $25k in bonus (backroom) and including sponsorship dollars he made a total of $80k for that one fight. On top of that he probably had even more people come to him to sponsor him because he just put on an amazing fight for that card and had his name/persona make waves with fans. He is beyond happy from the looks of what he said in I quote, "I love all of you guys, most of you know my life story, I just wanted you to know that I get taken care of by the UFC real well, ESPECIALLY when it comes to $!". Source

* Edited at 10.17.2012, 3:06 AM ET *

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

10.17.2012 | 3:09 AM ET

@Wish I see your point, but I side with @lopati on this one, plus a fighter will improve his possibility of succes (win more fights) if he keeps fighting out of the UFC, so he may get the big contracts of One FC or Bellator, and as Lopati said if he is good the UFC will still be there, and the fighter will be more experienced and will have more chances of success in the UFC  than if he had gotten in younger and less experienced.

the way I see it it's like jumping the NCAA basketball to get into the NBA, it's tempting but not always the smartest choice

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Lopati
Lopati

10.17.2012 | 3:28 AM ET

Wish is one of the most fun guys to have dialogue with on here. I must admit that.

Wish, Kongo hasnt always been cashing 42/42 checks.  it took him a while to get there.  McCall had a name prior to signing with UFC similar to Bibiano with ONEFC so for me it makes sense for Dana to "TAKE CARE" of him.

What is Khalidov gonna make on that initial contrat though? 6/6, 8/8, 10/10 just like 70% of the guys they sign their first contract with Zuffa. 

I also think that Managers are just as responsible for the miniscule fighter pay and the horrible contracts because they feel that by getting guys to UFC they can get more clients so maximizing each guys value is not of importance to them at all.  they can make money on volume rather than getting the best possible deal for their fighters.

Lorenz Larkin getting on his knees just shows me how ****** it is fighting in STRIKEFORCE not that Zuffa is the cream of the payscale because when/if larkin comes over he might be a 12/12 guy and I stress the term MIGHT.

Linderman made good coin fighting for Cage Warriors and is getting some pretty good coin with WSOF. Now I dont think it is a 6 figure contract.

its like living in a town with 1 grocery store, they can raise the prices and you cant do anything about it because its your only option for shopping so you are subject to the prices you get.  the UFC is similar in the fact that when fighters are so dialed in on that one organization they can lowball offers and know they will be accepted because these guys will just sign whatever is in front of them so they can say they are a UFC fighter, lol.

Lopati
Lopati

10.17.2012 | 3:36 AM ET

thanks Legacy

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,540  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.17.2012 | 3:39 AM ET

HAHA!!

This is priceless :)))

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/10/16/3514792/chael-sonnen-jon-jones-tuf-17-ufc-mma

When he loses to Jon Jones he's moving up to heavyweight and picking on JDS (and Brazil again) :))))))

I don't know man, I've never been one for WWE **** in MMA, but what can I say, Chael's starting to grow on me ... I'll always want to see him lose, but this time I'm going to enjoy him until that happens ...

* Edited at 10.17.2012, 3:41 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,540  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.17.2012 | 3:56 AM ET

BTW, I love the way that "suddenly" Chael isn't "deserving" of a title shot ...

Where was this when Jon Jones turned down the Sonnen fight on 8 days notice and EVERYONE said he’s a b**ch.
Now, he’s taking the fight and reviving TUF and suddenly Chael’s not deserving of a title shot (which I agree with by the way).

Where was all this “Chael’s not deserving” stuff when you were bashing Jones for UFC 151 cancellation (which he turned down for this exact reason, by the way)?

With MMA fans and writers you’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t.

For this one, Why don’t we all just **** and enjoy what’s going to be the best TUF season since Suga/Rampage?

Deserving, not deserving, who gives a damn, sometime it's just good to accept that it's happening and enjoy it.

* Edited at 10.17.2012, 4:02 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Lopati
Lopati

10.17.2012 | 4:07 AM ET

From Hendo to Dana White on twitter

I guess I should just quit training to win fights and to be exciting for the fans and just go to **** talking school. @danawhite

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

10.17.2012 | 4:38 AM ET

atta ******* boy Hendo.

Page 7

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 92 preview show: Can Edson Barboza play spoiler once again?
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92: 21 Tidbits, Facts And Storylines
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall vs. Curtis Blaydes 2: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 304 co-main event
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303 nearing completion with new bout for McGregor vs. Chandler fight card
  • MMA Junkie : Joe Rogan thinks MMA rules favor strikers over grapplers: 'I don't think you should stand people up, ever'
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator Champions Series results: Patchy Mix squeaks by Magomed Magomedov to retain title
  • UFC.com : Adrian Yanez Is Searching For More
  • MMAFighting.com : Patchy Mix ekes past Magomed Magomedov in Bellator Paris title rematch, wins split decision
  • MMA Mania : Knockout! Doumbe Stops Willis In One-Round WAR!
  • Middle Easy : Patchy Mix Defeats Magomed Magomedov Via Split Decision, Retains Bantamweight Title – Bellator: Paris Results (Highlights)
  • MMA Junkie : Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk undisputed title fight is 'something very, very significant'
  • MMA Mania : UFC Fighters Fail To Crack Forbes ‘Highest-Paid’ List
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator Champions Series results: Cedric Doumbe makes quick work of Jaleel Willis to set up Anthony Pettis showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Bellator Paris video: Cedric Doumbe demolishes Jaleel Willis in first round, faces off with Anthony Pettis
  • Middle Easy : Cédric Doumbé Returns to Win Column, Smashes Jaleel Willis in Opening Round – Bellator: Paris Results (Highlights)
  • MMAFighting.com : Bellator Paris live blog: Patchy Mix vs. Magomed Magomedov 2
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator Champions Series video: Costello van Steenis puts Gregory Babene to sleep with Von Flue choke
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator video: Costello van Steenis puts Gregory Babene to sleep with Von Flue choke
  • UFC.com : This Fight Is About Redemption For Tom Nolan
  • MMAFighting.com : Gabi Garcia’s MMA return off in wake of Brazil floods