Topic: Randy Couture

Couture: Fighters need rights - there will be a fight

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

04.21.2011 | 12:45 PM ET

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/1342/couture-zuffa-fighters-can-have-meeting-of-minds

There’s going to be a battle,” Couture told ESPN.com. “I’d rather sit down with the UFC, [president] Dana White and [CEO] Lorenzo Fertitta and figure out a way to implement some things with their blessing.” 

According to Couture, fighters are still being deprived of a few fundamental rights, which if rectified would only help the legitimacy of the sport. 

“Health insurance for fighters when they’re not competing is a huge issue,” Couture said. “There are a few fighters who could call up the UFC and say, ‘Look, I need some help, I blew out my knee in practice,’ and the UFC is going to help them. They’ve been generous but they can’t do that with everyone. There are over 200 fighters. 

“How about a retirement plan of some sort? Or at least educate these guys on how to take care of their money. How many MMA stars, five or six years from now, are going to be broke and destitute? We’ve seen that in boxing, and it’s a shame. An absolute shame.” 

Couture has had his own grievances with the UFC during a 14-year professional fighting career, but said he doesn’t blame Zuffa for the fighters’ issues still present in the sport, nor does he necessarily look at the formation of a fighters union as an end-all, be-all solution. 

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

Randy "The Natural" Couture

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Randy Duane Couture
  • Pro MMA Record: 19-11-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Natural
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: April 30, 2011 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Light Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 203.5 lbs
  • Affiliation: Xtreme Couture
  • Height: 6'1" (186cm) | Reach: 75.0" (191cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,720,000 USD
  • Born: Everett, Washington, United States
  • Fighting out of: Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

mmAPR0digy
mmAPR0digy
  • Predictions:  13,158  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,307
  • Post Score: 144

04.21.2011 | 2:15 PM ET

I couldn't help but to think about the CBA in the NFL right now.  Those are huge issues and they need to be rectified somehow; especially the Health Insurance.

"I just want to be known as the best ever, is that too much to ask? - BJ Penn"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.21.2011 | 4:47 PM ET

Yeah.. I missed this thread somehow.  This topic is very important.. Liddel will realize that in about 10 years when things start going fuzzy.  I read that Terry Bradshaw is being replaced on his show as an NFL analysist b/c he is having trouble now concentrating... things like this could easily pop up within the next decade as the sport is huge right now (MMA).  Something needs to be done now to protect the fighters now and, imo, more importantly the fighters who are retiring now.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Report: Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned PED
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Steve Erceg aware of unusual title shot opportunity, still feels pressure to win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 fight card: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • UFC.com : UFC Championship Fights That Have Happened In Rio de Janeiro
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira takes down Daniel Cormier in UFC 301 hallway tussle
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Alex Pereira forces Daniel Cormier to plead for help with takedown: 'Stop this guy'
  • Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya Nearly Throw Hands in Heated Press Conference Confrontation
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 3: ‘I could fight right now’
  • MMA Mania : Video: Cormier Saved By Security From Pereira Manhandling
  • Middle Easy : Paige VanZant Not Looking Past Fellow OnlyFans Star Elle Brooke: ‘I’m Gonna Get Ready For War’
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith no longer 'blinded' by title goal before UFC 301: 'I'm almost carrying an anchor with me'
  • MMAFighting.com : Stephen A. Smith ‘disgusted’ at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson being sanctioned as pro bout
  • MMA Mania : Video: Canelo Confronts And Blasts ‘F—king P—sy’ De La Hoya
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez goes off on 'f*cking p*ssy' Oscar De La Hoya, separated mid-press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez erupts on ‘f*cking asshole’ Oscar De La Hoya, duo separated in profane presser exchange
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez, Oscar De La Hoya separated after profane presser exchange; Alvarez erupts
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He tried to steal money and he’s a f—ing a—hole’: Canelo steps to Oscar at press conference
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Kaan Ofli | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Omran Chaaban | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Edwin Cooper | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko