Topic: Diaz vs. Daley

Awkward Nick Diaz Pre-Fight Interview

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

04.07.2011 | 10:50 PM ET

Prediction: correct Diaz   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Check out this video interview between Nick Diaz and Ariel Helwani from MMAFighting.com. Not only is it just as awkward as all of Diaz's interviews with Helwani, but he's a huge d-bag to Helwani for no legitimate reason IMO. Also, the guy cannot go one minute without contradicting himself four times.

Enjoy!

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Responses

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.07.2011 | 11:02 PM ET

Prediction: correct Diaz   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

He's got that "Stockton" mentality.  He's like that with most people... and  he's not terribly bright.  I do appreciate his abilities though.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

04.07.2011 | 11:03 PM ET

I appreciate his abilities for sure, but I think he was a little more aggressively ****ish in this interview than he usually is. He's always awkward, and he always makes it out like he's doing you a huge favor by granting you the honor of an interview, but I thought he was extremely antagonistic and insulting to Helwani with no real grounds for what he was saying.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.07.2011 | 11:12 PM ET

He was for the 1st 90 seconds... the rest seemed like pointless blabbing... paid this/wrestling that/over worked/under paid.. oh wait... paid well as an mma fighter.. I see what you mean. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

04.07.2011 | 11:13 PM ET

I like Nick Diaz. He just was not cut out for talking to people. Just fighting them.

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

04.08.2011 | 12:16 AM ET

Prediction: correct Diaz   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

hes one of the best in the world, but the brother has got no public speaking skills what so ever. Thank god they dont pay him to talk...
side note: Ariel is the best in the biz, and is always on top of interviews and the he said, she said. I thought Nick took a couple of low blows on him here, but Ariel is always the professional and kept it cool and still claimed respect. I tip my hat to this man, as i do with every interview he does. 

"fresh outta Oakland..."

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

04.08.2011 | 12:33 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Daley   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

i love ariel but nick had a point.............it wasnt the time to bring it up and it was quite a low blow tho i must agree

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Superfly
Superfly
  • Predictions:  568  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  18
  • Post Score: -133

04.08.2011 | 12:45 AM ET

Prediction: correct Diaz   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Imagine Nick Daiz in 10 years after a couple hundred more blows to the head....

"Once he kicked me in the arm and I felt it clicking... it took me out of my game a little bit" - Franklin

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

04.08.2011 | 1:07 AM ET

Diaz is a fun fighter to watch. I am glad to have seen him fight live, not once but twice. As for his personality, he seems to be really focused on his ****. Thats good. I honestly dont give a **** about his attitude. Dude comes to fight.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

04.08.2011 | 4:31 AM ET

Nick is a good fighter but terrible on the mic and in interviews. He is probably one of the worst self promoters in the business. Which could be a reason he isn't seeing the same paychecks as George who is actually an amazing self promoter. Besides the fact that he is just the SF champ, and not the UFC champ, which he seems not to understand the difference. Most fighters when asked what will happen in the fight won't say we'll see, they will at least sound confident in that they will win, even if they don't do it in a disrespectful manner. To Diaz it would seem simply saying you can win a fight is talking ****. It's not like Diaz doesn't talk smack, he does. The only problem is that when Diaz seems to talk smack he does it with the wrong people. He talked all kinds of trash about Jason Miller and Miller to him but they were never going to fight, and it's like wasting time promoting the biggest fight that will never happen. Diaz just is too serious in his fight talk and takes everything too personally and can't separate the business from the personal.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

04.08.2011 | 10:25 AM ET

Prediction: correct Diaz   wrong Decision  

Great interview, ***, NOT! I don't get this guy, Ariel is probably the best guy to do an interview with and will never use his ability as a journalist to provoke **** talking. He'll merely ask a question about it IF it's happened prior to the interview he's doing. He ask Nick Diaz the qustion "Alot of MMA pundits thought there'd be alot of smack talking leading up to this fight, and it seems to be the opposite, is that in fact just because you and Paul Daley have so much respect for each other" (that's off the top of my head) and he goes off on this tangent about how Ariel is trying to get Nick to talk **** about Daley and so on..... The guy can't interpret a basic question where it was implied that both fighters respect each other. All he would've had to say is "yeah i respect paul alot and we're both going to go out there tyring to finish each other". This guy is a tool and a *********, GREAT FIGHTER, but a *********..... Perhaps Nick Diaz should hire an interpreter from Stockton with some English credentials and understanding of modern language so he can properly relay the question and Nick's answer, then we'll all have a real understanding of what this guy is thinking/saying.....
bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

04.08.2011 | 10:25 AM ET

Prediction: correct Diaz   wrong Decision  

Great interview, ***, NOT! I don't get this guy, Ariel is probably the best guy to do an interview with and will never use his ability as a journalist to provoke **** talking. He'll merely ask a question about it IF it's happened prior to the interview he's doing. He ask Nick Diaz the qustion "Alot of MMA pundits thought there'd be alot of smack talking leading up to this fight, and it seems to be the opposite, is that in fact just because you and Paul Daley have so much respect for each other" (that's off the top of my head) and he goes off on this tangent about how Ariel is trying to get Nick to talk **** about Daley and so on..... The guy can't interpret a basic question where it was implied that both fighters respect each other. All he would've had to say is "yeah i respect paul alot and we're both going to go out there tyring to finish each other". This guy is a tool and a *********, GREAT FIGHTER, but a *********..... Perhaps Nick Diaz should hire an interpreter from Stockton with some English credentials and understanding of modern language so he can properly relay the question and Nick's answer, then we'll all have a real understanding of what this guy is thinking/saying.....
jsebag
jsebag
  • Predictions:  670  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  151
  • Post Score: 42

04.08.2011 | 11:36 AM ET

He seems like a ticking time bomb to be honest.  He did surprisingly have some good points re: Pride rules and yellow cards for stalling the action but obviously had a difficult time articulating it.  Great fighter though so I can put some of his antics behind me and just focus on his fights.  I think he beats Daley via sub

"To be the man you have to beat the man"

Joker313
Joker313
  • Predictions:  34,431  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  575
  • Post Score: 215

04.08.2011 | 12:25 PM ET

Prediction: correct Diaz   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

Nick is one of the realist fighters to ever speak. When someone asks him about Daley's **** talking he says " I have nothing to say" Hes just going to prove it in the cage no need to talk cus its all nonsense. The truth.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC 301 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Jose Aldo nets $21k for potential final UFC fight
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Feel Bad For Buffer’
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301, The Morning After: Retirement Isn’t Real!
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 6-11
  • Jits Magazine : Michel Pereira Lands Crazy Backflip Pass Into Controversial Submission Win At UFC 301
  • Jits Magazine : Tony Ferguson Reveals That He Has Been Offered A Grappling Match With Charles Oliveira
  • MMA Mania : Alvarez Clowned De La Hoya After Win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 post-fight show: Reaction to Alexandre Pantoja’s scare, Jose Aldo’s big return
  • MMA Mania : UFC 303 Gets ‘Foggy’ Teaser Trailer
  • Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: Canelo Dominates in Unanimous Decision Victory [Video Highlights]
  • MMA Mania : Video: Canelo Mocks Benavidez After Beating Munguia
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Have A Date, I’ll Let Boss Man Dana Announce That’
  • MMA Mania : De La Hoya Reacts To Canelo Beating Munguia
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 2024 post-fight bonus winners: Inside the numbers
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 bonuses: Michel Pereira snags extra $50,000 for monster finish of Ihor Potieria
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 bonuses: Michel Pereira snags extra $50,000 for monster finish of Ihor Potieria
  • UFC.com : Bonus Coverage | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Bonuses! Back-Flipping Pereira Banks $50K
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 PPV Results, Streaming Updates