Topic: Rich Franklin

Exclusive: Rich Franklin: Undeterred

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

04.05.2011 | 10:11 AM ET

Check out the blog this morning for a new in-depth interview with Rich Franklin, as he discusses his recent loss to Forrest Griffin, his outlook on the future of his career, and the new breed of fighter represented by Jon Jones.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Rich "Ace" Franklin

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Rich Jay Franklin II
  • Pro MMA Record: 29-7-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Ace
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: November 10, 2012 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Middleweight | Last Weigh-In: 185.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Team Extreme
  • Height: 6'1" (186cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $715,000 USD
  • Born: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
  • Fighting out of: Cincinnati, Ohio
  • College: University of Cincinnati
  • Foundation Style: N/A
  • Head Coach: Matt Hume
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.05.2011 | 10:16 AM ET

Rich is my favorite fighter for a lot of reasons.  I agree with him on all he says.  I too thought he won the Henderson fight.  The forrest fight was very close.  He's a true class act and I can't wait to see him back no matter who he faces.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

WinningOne
WinningOne
  • Predictions:  256  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  242
  • Post Score: 58

04.05.2011 | 10:56 AM ET

Rich is my second favourite fighter, always goes out there to put on a show. Hopefully he still has a few fights in his tank! War Ace!

"“I will knock your hair black” – Ken Shamrock to Ortiz"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

04.05.2011 | 11:29 AM ET

Awesome interview, i love the length of it as well. Granted Rich is a guy who isn't afraid to talk and gave helped with this great interview. I also thought he won the Dan Henderson fight and for him to even finish the fight after nearly losing his eye is incredible. Part of the reason i believe he even lost that fight was because he didn't do anything in the last two minutes of round 3 because he could hardly see and was in a lot of pain. **** happens, yeah, but Rich still won that fight IMO. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him next. MW or LHW!

skelliher
skelliher

04.05.2011 | 11:33 AM ET

I'm guessing he's going to stay at 205, but who knows with him? He said he has slowed down throughout his career, and I think that was never more obvious than in the Griffin fight.

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.05.2011 | 11:44 AM ET

I'm in agreement with everyone that Rich won the Hendo fight...I've always enjoyed Rich whether on UFC All Access or his interview on the Bill O'Reilly show always shows class and is a great role model for young fighters

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

04.05.2011 | 12:28 PM ET

Damn Franklin is such a smart guy and I completely agree with everything he's talking about.  Although from his last statement you'd think he didn't know that Jones has only been training MMA a few years. 
I think he won that Henderson fight without a doubt.  I was also pretty disappointed with how the first round of his fight with Forrest played out.  Some refs stand the fights up too quick and some refs just don't ever bother, the inconsistency is ********.  I can't tell whether the judging or refereeing is more inconsistent, but they both need to be refined.

Great interview.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

skelliher
skelliher

04.05.2011 | 1:31 PM ET

Personally, I agree that Franklin won the Henderson fight as a whole, but I actually scored it for Hendo based on the 10-9 system. I thought he clearly won the first round, but the second was a toss-up. The third was all Franklin, and has there been another round he would have become the first man to finish Henderson with strikes.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Naoya Inoue gets up from knockdown, moves to 27-0 with sick KO of Luis Nery
  • MMA Mania : Up Next! UFC St. Louis On ESPN!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘If not for Canelo I’m not going down to 168’: David Benavidez says only one fight brings him back to super middleweight
  • MMA Junkie : Matchup Roundup: New UFC, PFL, Bellator fights announced in the past week (April 29-May 5)
  • MMAFighting.com : On To the Next One: What’s next for free agent Jose Aldo after triumphant return at UFC 301?
  • MMA Mania : Inoue Survives Knockdown, Stops Nery In Six
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Mentally, I feel like the fight’s won’: Martin talks upcoming fight with Tank
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Disagrees with Merab Dvalishvili’s Claim of Title Bout at UFC 306 in Las Vegas
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski open to fourth Max Holloway fight now that he's BMF champion
  • Bad Left Hook : RANKINGS: Naoya Inoue and Canelo hold firm in top spots, more
  • Jits Magazine : Action-Packed Brackets At IBJJF Geneva Open 2024
  • MMAFighting.com : The MMA Hour with Dustin Poirier, Alexandre Pantoja, plus Dan Hardy, Veronica Hardy, and Paul Hughes all in studio at 1 p.m. ET
  • Middle Easy : MMA Community Reacts to Anthony Smith’s Submission Victory and Announcing Mishap at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Blew It’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56: How to watch Derrick Lewis vs. Rodrigo Nascimento, start time, St. Louis fight card, odds, more
  • MMAFighting.com : Naoya Inoue vs. Luis Nery full fight video highlights
  • Bad Left Hook : KNOCKOUT! Naoya Inoue comes off canvas to brutalize Luis Nery
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: Dana White, Max Holloway, Sean O'Malley on red carpet for Tom Brady roast on Netflix
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Dana White catches shots over UFC fighter pay, rips 'liberal f*cks' at Netflix during Tom Brady roast
  • MMA Mania : ‘Decisions, Decisions’