Topic: St-Pierre vs. Condit

St. Pierre vs. Condit

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,636  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,566
  • Post Score: 60

06.11.2012 | 10:56 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for St. Pierre vs. Condit. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 29

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

10.11.2012 | 10:48 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

LOL it's hilarious how you continue to overlook who each of them have fought. GSP would have racked up a bunch of KO's in the WEC too. I would be willing to make an av bet a sig bet or any bet as far as leaving Tapology forever if Condit "outstrikes" Georges. Keep down arrowing everything I post too. I know the truth must hurt.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

10.11.2012 | 10:51 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

@live2 Condit does have a chance to win. Anything can happen. I'm not saying he has no chance I'm simply saying the odds are he will get dominated just like everyone else that fights GSP.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

SRAOnline
SRAOnline
  • Predictions:  9,854  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,719
  • Post Score: 313

10.11.2012 | 10:56 PM ET

Condit is no different than everyone else who's been touted as the next guy to dethrone GSP. It wont happen. Can it? Sure, will it? Nope. Besides what happens if Condit wins? It'd more than spoil the hype for a GSP/Silva fight. Dana would probably die. No disrespect to Condit, but Condit vs Silva hardly makes for a "superfight". Then again, there's always Diaz/Silva...

"Pretend to be someone you're not once, and you're a liar. Do it every day, and you're a professional."

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

10.11.2012 | 11:03 PM ET

@dielegende23 wrong. That would be the case for many other fighters but not GSP. GSP is a near perfect striker because of the sheer amount of tools in his arsenal. He had one eye in the Jake Shields fight so please don't bring that up again 'cause it's irrelevant; it's like me bringing up Carlos Condit's loss to Pat Healy. His fight against Koscheck was great, that was the best display of technical boxing in UFC history. "He showed he had a good jab" is a HUGE understatement, it's like me saying "oh that Hendo/Rua fight was alright I guess".

Because it's dielegende and not that other idiot running around this thread, I've decided to attempt an unbiased breakdown of Carlos Condit. Maybe you intelligent Condit fans could give me your opinion on this.

Condit is a very fun striker to watch, he's a very diverse and creative striker, he's got a decent amount of power, he maximizes his reach using back leg front kicks, front leg sidekicks and flying knees but he's also a very risky striker who's style of strikes leaves an opening for a counter attack. His style of striking leaves him susceptible to open takedowns but he doesn't really mind because of his ground game off of his back.

I think Carlos Condit's greatest advantage coming into this fight is his timing, which is very difficult to predict. He fires off repetitive combos to get the opponent used to the combo and then the next time he throws it, he hesistates and tries to accidentally make the opponent predict his next move by dropping his guard to block it, and he uses those openings to capitalize.

I am definitely not a fan of Carlos Condit's footwork, for a fighter who throws that many strikes with his legs he should have a better center of gravity, he tends to cross his legs and lose balance and against a wrestler like GSP, he will get smashed on his back. He's also not very fast or explosive either.

I'm kinda neutral about his ground game, he's got a good bottom game and an average top game. His ground n' pound is typical of a striker (wrestlers like pounding on their opponents from half-guard or open guard), I like how he baits submissions and then attempts sweeps with them. He's very active off of his back too, which again leaves openings that opponents can capitalize on.

He's a tough guy, he can eat a punch while dishing 'em back, he's got heart but he's not very smart and against the smartest fighter in the history of MMA, he's gonna have some major problems.

btw, CONDIT729 is not allowed to respond to this because he'll probably say something along the lines of "durr condit haz da best jiujutsu *** condit will win gsp gay durrrrr".

"الله أكبرl"

CONDIT729
CONDIT729
  • Predictions:  4,116  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,500
  • Post Score: 165

10.11.2012 | 11:11 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Condit   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

So Anik the GSP vs. Shields fight is irrelevent cause GSP has one eye while the GSP vs. Koscheck fight is his best performance yet Koscheck only had one eye

"I'm coming in your backyard and I'm gonna **** you up" -Carlos Condit

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,363  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

10.11.2012 | 11:14 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Condit might as well run ... like now. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

10.12.2012 | 12:19 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

condit and anik need an av/sig bet for this fight if it hasn't already been done

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

WorstPredictionMan
WorstPredictionMan
  • Predictions:  1,156  |  35.6%
  • Forum Posts:  343
  • Post Score: 675

10.12.2012 | 1:30 AM ET

Here is Bruce Buffer with the official decision.

Prediction: wrong Condit   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

Ladies and gentlemen, referee Herb Dean has called the stop to this contest at ten seconds of the first round declaring the winner by tapout due to a flying triangle and now the

NNNEEEEEWWWWW

UFC Welterweight Champion of the World:

CARLOOOS "The Natural Born Killeeerrrr" COOONDITTTT

"There goes WorstPredictionMan, the greatest predictor who ever lived."

AnthonyBrancato
AnthonyBrancato
  • Predictions:  9,831  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  642
  • Post Score: 58

10.12.2012 | 2:42 AM ET

Since they don't allow you specify any further when making picks on here, I will specify:

GSP will win by unanimous decision, at least 50-44 on all three judges' scorecards.

"MMA Fan Since Season 2 Of The Ultimate Fighter"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,997  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

10.12.2012 | 10:46 AM ET

@Anik awesome post, pretty much what Firas Zahabi had to say about Condit in a recent interview. So yeah you know what you are talking about. I agree that Condit sometimes is too careless with his kicks and that often leaves him open for takedowns or counters. Certainly a problem against GSP, it's secondary though when we are talking about the stand up game alone.

I admit I probably was downplaying his perfprmance against Koscheck, he displayed a very technical boxing game. But it also wasn't the best display of technical boxing in UFC history like you said. If you put in relation, GSP had a reach advantage, which he even extended with his jab. He still decided to take Josh down at times, which made him think about GSP's attacks, and we also can't ignore that Koscheck isn't a very good striker himself. His only weapon is his overhand right. On top of that Kos just like GSP in his fight with Shields just had one eye.

So no, it wasn't the best display of technical boxing in UFC history.

Imagine Condit and GSP in a stand up fight, Condit a very good striker wouldn't just counter a jab with a overhand right, nor would it be easy to tag him with a jab constantly because of his good footwork.

You say your not a fan of his footwork, but how can you say this after watching the fight with Diaz. His footwork is very good, he circles around very well and it doesn't leave him open for takedowns. If you watch the Kampmann, MacDonald or even the Ellenberger fight all takedowns came from the clinch. Even Ellenberger wasn't able to secure a double leg if I'm not mistaken.

Striking defense is the only aspect were I see GSP has the advance in the overall striking. Condit is often to careless maybe because of his awesome chin. But it's an MMA fight after all and GSP is the favorite for a reason. The reason is his wrestling, probably the best MMA wrestling ever. Not his stand up.

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

10.12.2012 | 10:49 AM ET

Carlos Condit is a tough competitor, with great skills.  I just feel like St. Pierre is better at everything that Condit does.  The only concern I have for this fight is that GSP may come in a little rusty.  To say that he's invincible to ring rust seems a little ridiculous, because he's still human.  However, he has some of the best trainers in the world helping him out for this, and I'm confident that he'll come in ready to go, with maybe some early signs of ring rust that quickly diminish. 

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

10.12.2012 | 1:42 PM ET

@dielegende23 Firas Zahabi said the same thing? ****...I feel smart now.

GSP/Kos and GSP/Shields are two different things, Kos was blind in one eye because GSP broke his orbital bone with multiple jabs, GSP was blind in one eye 'cause Shields poked his eye. You know the difference, it's obvious.

I definitely think Condit's footwork is overrated, his best showing of his footwork was against Nick Diaz, a fighter who defines awful footwork (walk slowly and in a straight line basically). When he throws his kicks, he loses balance a lot because he tends to cross his legs when he throws his creative combos (when he throws a kick with his front leg and his kick comes back to the floor, the leg tends to go behind his back leg and he has a moment of imbalance where he needs to back up a step to reset his back leg).

A guy like Dominick Cruz does the exact same thing but the reason why it's ok when he does it is because he'll just switch stances instead of reseting so his legs are already in perfect place.

@RWLawman Exactly how I feel. GSP's better than Condit at everything Condit does in my opinion, that's why GSP will win.

"الله أكبرl"

HE H4TE ME
HE H4TE ME
  • Predictions:  120  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  15
  • Post Score: 73

10.17.2012 | 3:59 PM ET

Are there any other options other than GSP decision?

"Why do you have all those stupid tat's?" Joe Rogan- "You're mom likes to look at them while she blows me."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

10.17.2012 | 5:51 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Although GSP by decison might be the smart way to bet, I've stuck my fool neck out and picked GSP by TKO.

I am hoping that he comes back highly-motivated, trained to perfection, and with something to prove to his doubters.

I am picking him to win by vicious striking attack.  After he knocks Carlos to the ground, he jumps on him and grounds and pounds him until the ref rescues his hapless victim. 

Georges will not dare leave this in the hands of the judges.  

Carlos' kick and run attack will be met with flying knees, hot pursuit and flying fists.  Carlos might be practicing his losing speech as we speak.  And after he leaves Carlos' face a bloody, pulpy mess, GSP will take him by the hands and graciously explain why this loss will help Carlos rebuild his career.  He does that after all his wins.

* Edited at 10.17.2012, 6:25 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Crispy989
Crispy989
  • Predictions:  2,929  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  121
  • Post Score: 176

10.17.2012 | 6:18 PM ET

GSP will win easily but by decision!

"Leave it all in the Cage"

Crispy989
Crispy989
  • Predictions:  2,929  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  121
  • Post Score: 176

10.17.2012 | 6:19 PM ET

Condit is an excellent fighter but GSP has a grinding stile and will hold him down and punish him on the mat!

"Leave it all in the Cage"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

10.18.2012 | 1:33 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

GSP is going to punish Carlos on the ground, he will make him look like a rookie and out of his league like GSP usually does with his opponents

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

cowcatcher
cowcatcher
  • Predictions:  424  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18
  • Post Score: 267

10.18.2012 | 1:43 AM ET

I'm skeptical about GSP returning to top form after an ACL, at least until I see him fight once.  He's still GSP, but I've had ACL's replaced in both knees multiple times and each one makes you a little more tentative and a little less than what you were before.  Granted, I'm not a freak athlete like GSP, but I still am leery about this fight until I see where he's at.   I'll probably still pick him to win a decision, but not with the confidence I usually do in his fights.   I think a lot of people tend to sleep on Condit as well, but he's been nothing short of a tough SOB throughout his career and he's a pretty well rounded fighter in his own right, but I think GSP's wrestling is his ace in the hole here per usual.

"No matter win or lose, always cheat."

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

11.01.2012 | 2:38 PM ET

Not sure what I think of the UFC's using campaign style ads to promote this bout. They did some funny things and it was all in good fun, but they shouldn't have used negative campaign ads for a template.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,997  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

11.01.2012 | 3:16 PM ET

Knockouts...Knockouts....Shorts !!!

That's what we stand for, vote for Condit.

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

Page 29

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : UFC 301 odds: Opening and closing betting line movements
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Results: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: CEAST AND DESIST!
  • MMA Junkie : Artur Beterbiev vs. Dmitry Bivol postponed due to injury
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Welcomes Jones’ Heavyweight Challenge
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Accepts Jones’ Heavyweight Challenge
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 ABC Conference set for July in Louisville, Ky.
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 ABC Conference set for July in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Video! Oliveira Cradles Teammate During Terrifying Weight Cut
  • UFC.com : Drakkar Klose Is Tuning Out The Noise
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Fighters talk favorite Jose Aldo memories ahead of UFC 301
  • Bad Left Hook : Beterbiev vs Bivol postponed due to injury, rest of card goes on
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Paul Craig: Caio Borralho in Rio not favorable, but 'we have built our career in the UFC over upsets'
  • UFC.com : The Most Dangerous Vinc Pichel
  • MMA Mania : Garcia Promises To ‘Knock McGregor Out Bad’
  • MMA Junkie : Charles Oliveira willing to be backup for Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler – under one condition
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Preview: 26 Random Tidbits, Facts And Storylines
  • Middle Easy : Israel Adesanya Backs ‘Legend’ Jose Aldo At UFC 301: ‘You Might See A F****** Vintage Fight’