Topic: Rua vs. Jones

Bones is unproven - Shogun is inconsistent even when he wins

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GRemm
GRemm
  • Predictions:  177  |  55.9%
  • Forum Posts:  19
  • Post Score: 11

03.15.2011 | 1:26 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

This comes down to Shogun's desire and the state of his knees post surgery vs. Jon Jones' confidence and conditioning.

I think Jones is nervous - he has never acted as ****y or arrogant as he has in recent interviews and I believe his over-confidence persona is his mechanism for coping with the stress of moving up so dramatically in competition and sideways in opponents styles.

I believe Shogun likes being the underdog and has a desire to defend the belt at least a couple of times in order not to be "one and done" for belt defenses. In this division the churn is so quick and contenders so numerous that reclaiming a lost belt is a lot more difficult than in other weight classes.

Recent training vids show Shogun moving a lot more laterally than he has in the last few fights since Griffin, which makes me think the rehab went well and that Shogun should have this via knockout power, amazing sweeps and a veteran's game plan.

"Two half philosophers will probably never a whole metaphysician make. -- Gaston Bachelard"

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,564
  • Post Score: 275

03.15.2011 | 3:46 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Shogun is more experienced and of the two, maybe the more technical fighter.  Jones' height, reach, and unorthodox style are so difficult to deal with.  He's just a freak of nature... it's like fighting a different species.

I've got Bones Jones via dominant victory.

"I live, I die, I live again."

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

03.15.2011 | 3:50 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

I dont know about shogun being inconsistent, i just think he was dealing with some serious lingering knee issues that were hampering his overall performance. I really like shogun here especially in the underdog roll but Jones is one of a kind. its a fight for the ages thats for sure. 

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Samson
Samson
  • Predictions:  1,142  |  60.2%
  • Forum Posts:  210
  • Post Score: 187

03.15.2011 | 5:33 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I like the post, I'm just struggling with the title. Shogun is inconsistent, when he wins? He is inconsistent maybe because of his knee problems. He was hurt going into the Forrest fight. He doesn't look inconsistent when he was stomping peoples head in Pride. Of course JJ is nervous. Do u remember his first primetime fight against Vera? He almost fell on his ass doing that cartwheel. He looked alittle better against Mads, but Joe Rogan said it 10x in the ppv against Bader: "look how nervous he is" . I don't know, Jones is a freak, but I'm old school, gotta go Shogun.

"In 96' Royce Gracie made me tap...one of many."

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

03.15.2011 | 6:08 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Decision  

i agree i just think this is a tough fight for Rua but hes been looking like his "old" self lately so hopfully he will pull it off!

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

03.16.2011 | 2:15 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Decision  

The title says it all. I have Jones though.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Fight By Fight Preview | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMA Junkie : 'Better than gold' Mike Perry wants to settle trash talk with Darren Till inside BKFC ring
  • MMAFighting.com : Charly Arnolt praises UFC staff after nearly passing on historic ring announcing save: ‘I was scared’
  • Middle Easy : BKFC KnuckleMania IV Salaries, Revealed; Mike Perry Pockets Event-High $600K
  • MMA Mania : Go Pro? Texas Commission Rules On Paul Vs Tyson
  • MMA Mania : Aging Alves ‘Going Back To Retirement’
  • UFC.com : Monthly Report: April 2024
  • UFC.com : Get To Know The Challenger | Steve Erceg
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson will be pro fight over eight 2-minute rounds
  • Bad Left Hook : Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson ‘sanctioned as professional fight’: Rules, glove weight
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul sanctioned as pro bout
  • Middle Easy : BKFC President David Feldman Explains How Conor McGregor Become Part Owner, Says Dana White Is ‘Probably A Little Mad’
  • MMA Junkie : Clay Collard vs. Mads Burnell headlines 2024 PFL 5 in Salt Lake City
  • MMA Junkie : Video: UFC 301 'Countdown' for Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry reacts to Conor McGregor becoming part owner of BKFC after calling for fight against him
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Doubts If Ian Garry Is ‘Serious’ About Fighting, Says He Has ‘Unfinished Business’ With Leon Edwards
  • MMA Junkie : Video: UFC 301 'Countdown' for Jose Aldo vs. Jonathan Martinez
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I don’t know why the referee stopped the fight’: Diaz reacts to TKO loss to Duarte
  • MMA Mania : Kentucky Fried Erceg Prepared For Brazilian Bottle Bombs
  • MMA Junkie : Matchup Roundup: New UFC, PFL, Bellator fights announced in the past week (April 22-28)