Topic: Jon Jones

The reason he's a fan favourite

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

lilspyder
lilspyder
  • Predictions:  32,913  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  288
  • Post Score: 100

03.08.2011 | 7:53 PM ET

So I was just watching mma connected (a program up here in canada) and it stated that if Jones was to win the LHW belt, he would fight honour any matchup that the UFC gave him, including fighting Rashad Evans. Now after all the talks that have been posted about team mates not fighting each other we finally see someone who's willing to do this, and that's awesome!! Jones truly is  fan favourite for a reason

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

Jon "Bones" Jones

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Jonathan Dwight Jones
  • Pro MMA Record: 27-1-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Bones
  • Current Streak: 18 Wins
  • Last Fight: March 04, 2023 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 248.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Jackson Wink MMA
  • Height: 6'4" (194cm) | Reach: 84.5" (215cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $4,568,000 USD
  • Born: Rochester, New York, United States
  • Fighting out of: Albuquerque, New Mexico
  • Head Coach: Greg Jackson
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

03.08.2011 | 7:59 PM ET

this i truly do admire. theyre not the only ones though. Condit would fight GSP. im looking forward to these fights.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

03.08.2011 | 8:28 PM ET

the only reason rashad wouldnt fight jones is because he thinks jones is a beast lol and he'd get killed

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

03.09.2011 | 3:53 AM ET

Initially they said NO, but from what i've read Rashad's main striking coach Trevor Whitman stated publicly that if Rashad gets a shot he should take it regardless of who the opponent is because he's in his prime and it might not come around again. It'd be cool to see these guys fight IMO. Another fight i'd love to see which will NEVER happen is Faber/Benavidez - arguable the #2 & #3 guys in the BW division. If Faber doesn't beat Dominick, that division gets very tricky because i don't see anyone else beating those two guys....
lilspyder
lilspyder

03.09.2011 | 6:17 AM ET

Ah makes sense. But finally these fighters are seeing sense and understand that if they want to be champion they may have to fight their teammates. I mean isn't that what it's all about as a fighter to be champion and considered the best in the world? That sometimes means you got to fight teammates

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

rdmcurator
rdmcurator
  • Predictions:  567  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: 44

03.09.2011 | 7:02 AM ET

He's exciting in and out of the cage.  He's a strong face for the sport.

"Why didn't I know about this in '95?"

lilspyder
lilspyder

03.09.2011 | 11:38 AM ET

Well their saying that if he wins he will be the new face of the ufc and to be honest I can't see anyone else who doesn't have a better reputation. I mean between him and GSP greg jackson's camp is just one of class and excellence

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

03.09.2011 | 12:39 PM ET

Carlos is another Greg Jackson fighter who's stated he's willing to fight his team mates.  That's what it's all about really.  If the fighters are willing to do it, it'll happen.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

lilspyder
lilspyder

03.09.2011 | 9:10 PM ET

Well i mean with a nickname like the natural born killer you gotta be able to throw down whenever wherever against whomever i'd hope

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

03.09.2011 | 10:57 PM ET

Rashad vs Bones would be awsome. I think Rashad is one of the only lhw's who has the tools to potentially beat bones, but every fight Bones is looking scarier and scarier, so Rashad's days would be numbered. Awsome that this thread popped up me and Lynx Guy were talking about this yesturday. 

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

kierran1589
kierran1589
  • Predictions:  123  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6

03.10.2011 | 1:21 AM ET

Stylistically I think Rashad is in the best position to beat Jones. Jones has proved that he has the ability to destroy "pure" wrestlers. But nobody mixes strikes and wrestling up as well as Rashad in the LHW division. And I think that right now Jones isn't ready for Shogun, Rampage, or Rashad. In a couple of years he'll be the supremo but as much as I want to climb onto his bandwagon, I'm just a bit hesitant atm.
lilspyder
lilspyder

03.10.2011 | 11:50 AM ET

Kierran you have a good point, Rashad does mix his strikes and wrestling well, but he's had a tendency to go either one way or the other and if he did that against jones he's done. Now WHEN Jones beats Shogun and takes that LHW belt home he won't have been the only person that was really young to take out huge stars. It was said Shogun wasn't ready when he won the grand prix in pride being so young. so I mean it's a definitly possible

BonesJones
BonesJones
  • Predictions:  120  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  49
  • Post Score: 92

03.10.2011 | 6:47 PM ET

I think Bones has the tools to beat Shogun and Rampage.  There is no doubt in my mind that he can beat Rashad.

this is what happens to Rashad if they fight.

"People are like snowflakes, unique, just like the rest."

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

03.11.2011 | 3:08 AM ET

I can't see anyone taking Bones out at LW, he is just so far away from, he can hit you, but you can't hit him. if Shogun wins I'll be mightily impressed.

"I Get Better."

lilspyder
lilspyder

03.11.2011 | 6:54 AM ET

Well I mean IMO the key for Shogun to win (the very slight possibility) is to fight Jones like how he fought Machida. Get inside and have controlled aggression. Now this can easily backfire because of Jones' Greco-roman wrestling. He'll just lock up and throw him with one of his many spectacular takedowns. But there is still a chance for shogun to get in to deliver the knockout punch first. I would sy set it up with leg kicks but that means getting within Jones huge range so i really don't see how he'll pull this off.

Babywads
Babywads
  • Predictions:  767  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  129
  • Post Score: 116

03.11.2011 | 6:59 AM ET

Honestly if Shogun tried a leg kick, Bones could elbow him from that distance.
minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

03.11.2011 | 8:10 PM ET

to say there is a very slight chance shogun wins is very ignorant. jones is more athletic, and big, but that's about it. he is the favorite for a reason, and he is deserving of that, but Shogun is the greatest lhw fighter of all time.

"We Are All One"

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

03.11.2011 | 8:47 PM ET

I dont see Jon Jones as a Fan favorite no disrespect but he hasnt been in the scene long enough for me to call him a fan favorite like some of the other fighters. But I do respect that the fact hes not wanting to fight his teammate but its not your job to make friends its to fight.
lilspyder
lilspyder

03.12.2011 | 4:43 PM ET

Mike I don't think you need to be in the game for a long time to be a fan favourite. I mean he's had a couple of headline fights already which means that his name is marketable and then it seems like every analyst can't say anything wrong about him. and classy, can't forget that at all. He is most definitely a fan favourite.

Yaspaa
Yaspaa

03.12.2011 | 4:53 PM ET

Perform impressively in the ring and the fans will come, Bones is such a freak in the best possible way, and to see such talent and perfect MMA genetics is awesome. MMA is still a relatively young sport, the fighters will always get better the more popular it becomes. Shogun is right up there with the best LHW's ever, but Bones is a revolution, he's set the bar even higher which will only inspire young MMA athleted to aspire to a to something greater, What a great time we live in for MMA.

"I Get Better."

Yaspaa
Yaspaa

03.12.2011 | 4:54 PM ET

Can you edit your own posts? I don't seem to be able to.

"I Get Better."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Ketlen Souza unwilling to take breaks after scoring first octagon win at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Bogdan Guskov promises to keep delivering exciting fights after UFC Vegas 91 win: ‘I love blood’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Maheshate felt 'extra burden' after consecutive losses
  • MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett responds to UFC 300 callouts from Renato Moicano, Bobby Green
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alex Perez after UFC on ESPN 55 upset win?
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: UFC vet Hunter Azure flattens opponent with brutal one-punch knockout