Topic: UFC 293

UFC 293: Adesanya vs. Strickland

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,398
  • Post Score: 47

05.17.2023 | 7:17 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 293
  • Saturday 09.09.2023 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Qudos Bank Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Laura Sanko, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $6,860,000
  • Attendance: 18,168
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Sean Strickland   defeats   Israel Adesanya   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Alexander Volkov   defeats   Tai Tuivasa   via Submission, Ezekiel Choke   4:37 Round 2 of 3, 9:37 Total Bout Page
Manel Kape   defeats   Felipe dos Santos   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Justin Tafa   defeats   Austen Lane   via KO/TKO, Left Hook to Ground Punches   1:22 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Tyson Pedro   defeats   Anton Turkalj   via KO/TKO, Jab and Cross to Hammerfist   2:12 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Carlos Ulberg   defeats   Da Un Jung   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:49 Round 3 of 3, 14:49 Total Bout Page
Chepe Mariscal   defeats   Jack Jenkins   via KO/TKO, Verbal Tapout From Arm Injury   3:19 Round 2 of 3, 8:19 Total Bout Page
Jamie Mullarkey   defeats   John Makdessi   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nasrat Haqparast   defeats   Landon Quiñones   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Charles Radtke   defeats   Mike Mathetha   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Gabriel Miranda   defeats   Shane Young   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   0:59 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Kevin Jousset   defeats   Kiefer Crosbie   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:49 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page

Responses Page 31

foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,083  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,117
  • Post Score: 137

09.09.2023 | 10:40 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 3175th

Mathetha vs. Radtke
Charles Radtke, SUB, R2
Very tempted to just take the City Kickboxing guy since this is even more of a regional level fight than the one that precedes it, but I can't take Blood Diamond seriously. Chuck might be a borderline UFC level talent but he's at least got a solid win on his record against a guy like Piersma. He could have been flown halfway around the world just to give Izzys boy an easy KO and his first W but this doesn't seem like the greatest spot to try and make a contrarian pick. Chuck is a small welterweight but even he should ragdoll BD who is pretty much just a kickboxer pretending to do MMA.

Young vs. Miranda
Shane Young, DEC
I can't believe I'm actually picking Shane Young to win an MMA fight but Gabriel "Face the Danger" Miranda should not be in the UFC. The problem here is I'm not really sure Shane Young should be in the UFC either. Taking the guy whos bad but fought actual competition vs the guy whos bad and has a padded record.

Jousset vs. Crosbie
Kevin Jousset, DEC
Jousset is the bigger and better fighter but Crosbie can crack. City kickboxing guy being given a challenging but very winnable fight. Crosbie is tough but primarily a striker and pretty predictable. Jousset throws a lot of naked leg kicks so both guys have some predictable tendencies, but I think Jousset ultimately takes this because he should have an overall speed advantage. Not a ton of confidence here because Jousset is very hittable and Crosbie is kind of like a bull in a china shop. He closes the distance really, really well but I think he would need to hurt Jousset pretty early in this fight to ultimately get the win.

EDIT: Noticed my first breakdown didn't match what I actually had picked. I got Jousset.

* Edited at 09.09.2023, 11:26 AM ET *

*****_swaggins
*****_swaggins
  • Predictions:  221  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  309
  • Post Score: 79

09.09.2023 | 10:55 AM ET

Agree

Predictions: 6 of 8 Winners, 5 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 3542nd

@Rah123 
But I support him because I’m his bookie
StyleBenderPicks
StyleBenderPicks
  • Predictions:  3,472  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  156
  • Post Score: 44

09.09.2023 | 10:56 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 450 Points   |   Tied for 3858th

Ulberg vs. Jung
Carlos Ulberg, TKO, R1
Not much to say ulberg via what he wants

Mullarkey vs. Makdessi
Jamie Mullarkey, DEC
Mullarkey at his best rn makdessi been in his at a similar level forever and he’s getting to old for this game

Haqparast vs. Quiñones
Nasrat Haqparast, DEC
Dropped Landon in a dog match

Young vs. Miranda
Gabriel Miranda, DEC
No finish here young going get released too but he’s gonna make it a better fight than expected

Jousset vs. Crosbie
Kiefer Crosbie, TKO, R2
Crosbie hugely underestimated here

" “My hands don’t discriminate.” -Israel Adesanya"

*****_swaggins
*****_swaggins
  • Predictions:  221  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  309
  • Post Score: 79

09.09.2023 | 10:59 AM ET

LMAOOO

Predictions: 6 of 8 Winners, 5 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 3542nd

@DRstoppage 
THE ROADDOG AND BILLY GUN. THE PLEASURE MAN WILL SHOCK THE WORLDDD
WaffleTyler71
WaffleTyler71
  • Predictions:  422  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 467

09.09.2023 | 11:09 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 520 Points   |   Tied for 2601st

My heart wants Strickland to win, but my mind is telling me that Izzy knocks him out. 

"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. "

foppa420
foppa420

09.09.2023 | 11:20 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Adesanya vs. Strickland
Israel Adesanya, TKO, R4
If you watched either of these guys fight Cannonier you basically watched this fight already. I think Strickland actually makes a decent showing of himself and will make some of these rounds look somewhat close. He has all the necessary skills to make this fight dirty but will probably just stand and try to spar with Izzy for 25 minutes. Izzy seems determined to get another KO. I think he methodically chips away at Strickland before really pressing on the gas in the championship rounds, assuming Strickland is still standing by then. These guys might start off more strike for strike but there really shouldn't be a question who packs more power in there shots between these two. Strickland also looked like he was going to die trying to cut the last lbs to make championship weight. I don't think he lasts 25 minutes with Izzy the way he fights.

Tuivasa vs. Volkov
Alexander Volkov, TKO, R2
Praying I get this one wrong cause everyone loves a good shoey and the main event could end up being uneventful. Volkov probably a bit too experienced at this point to get hit by one of Tai's bombs. Tai's biggest issue is his hand speed and that a lot of his shots are easy to telegraph, but Volkov is also absolutely gigantic and not exactly known for his speed. Definitely a much more winnable fight for Tai than his last 2, but I think Volkovs size is probably going to be too much. Again, I'll be elated to get this one wrong.

Kape vs. dos Santos
Manel Kape, TKO, R1
Murder. If Dos Santos can take this to a 2nd round, he should consider it a notch on his belt.

Tafa vs. Lane
Justin Tafa, TKO, R1
Absolutely 0 confidence here. I'm not an Austen Lane fan but he is huge compared to Tafa. I genuinely forgot who I even picked the first time this fight was scheduled because it's that razor close for me. Whoever lands cleanly first is going to win. It was only 30 seconds but I remember not loving how Tafa looked squared up against a guy with as much reach as Lane. I'm going diamond hands on this one and not switching my pick since Tafa has the added juice of being in front of a home crowd, but this fight is essentially a coin flip.

Pedro vs. Turkalj
Anton Turkalj, DEC
Really, really close fight on paper for me. Both guys have a lot of skill but I think the holes in Pedros game are bigger than the ones in Turkalji's. I expect this fight to be fairly back and forth to start but I'm ultimately picking against Pedros tank here. Give me the younger, hungrier fighter who is all but certainly fighting for his job. Pedro seems like a part time fighter at this point. He would have beat Bukauskas if he didn't gas and I see that happening again with the way Turkalj likes to grapple. Turkalj might be 0-2 so far in the UFC but the results would be the same for Pedro if he were fighting guys like Almeida and Petrino.

Ulberg vs. Jung
Carlos Ulberg, TKO, R1
If there was ever a fight that seemed destined to **** all over MMA math, it's this one. LHW seems to be one of if not the most volatile divisions in the promotion where pretty much anything can happen, but this is not the spot to try and be contrarian. Black Jag is on the rise and being served a finish up on a platter here to further increase his stock.

Jenkins vs. Mariscal
Jack Jenkins, TKO, R2
I know some have hopped on the Chepe train but I'm not convinced. As bad as Trevor Peek is, I still give Chepe big props for winning his debut up a weight class. But Jenkins is an an entirely different stratosphere compared to Peek when it comes to skill. I know some may be down on Jenkins because he had a very competitive fight with Emmers, but I'd take Emmers to beat Chepe too.

Mullarkey vs. Makdessi
Jamie Mullarkey, DEC
I really don't think either guy is very good but Makdessi is just really getting up there in age. He should make this a competitive fight but I have to take bigger, younger and more active fighter here. In the last roughly 2.5 years, Mullarkey has fought 6 times while Makdessi has fought twice. If this fight was happening 2-3 years ago I would probably take Makdessi because Mullarkey is incredibly average.

Haqparast vs. Quiñones
Nasrat Haqparast, TKO, R2
Haqparast must have really wanted to stay on this card because this is him fighting wayyyy down. Quinones should make a decent showing of himself but I think Nasrat has the way cleaner striking.

* Edited at 09.09.2023, 12:10 PM ET *

foppa420
foppa420

09.09.2023 | 11:30 AM ET

Pretty lopsided card IMO.

Crosby, Makdessi, Lane and Tuivasa the only dogs I think have a shot. I guess Blood Diamond also technically has a shot but I also think you're wild if you throw money on that man. 
BetMyPicks
BetMyPicks
  • Predictions:  37  |  56.8%
  • Forum Posts:  28
  • Post Score: 18

09.09.2023 | 11:38 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 7 Winners, 0 Perfect, 250 Points   |   Tied for 5225th

yall are friggen crazy... Titty Doglasagna willl not bend Stricklands style!!!! ... 
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,323  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32,501
  • Post Score: 89

09.09.2023 | 11:39 AM ET

Death taxes and pleasure man by submission 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

Parlay Boss
Parlay Boss
  • Predictions:  123  |  69.9%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: -4

09.09.2023 | 12:38 PM ET

Strickland's destiny

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 1323rd

This will be Strickland's only shot at a title fight and he will go all in. He has the cardio to fight all night long and he will not quit. His mentality will be to finish Adesanya. He has given his life to the sport and tonight he will be rewarded for all his efforts. He has given his soul to MMA and for this reason, he will be crowned as the new middleweight champion. 

The odds are definitely against him, but he doesn't care about that, he only cares about fighting and he enjoys it! He will not have the pressure that Adesanya will have and he will have the support of the arena. 

Adesanya created his own nightmare by making this fight happen. 

I also don't care if you believe what I am saying because I will have a nice payout at the end.

"You are an infection. You are the definition of weakness. Everything that is wrong with the world is because of ******* you." - Strickland

foppa420
foppa420

09.09.2023 | 12:42 PM ET

@Parlay

combatinfantry
combatinfantry
  • Predictions:  390  |  64.9%
  • Forum Posts:  35
  • Post Score: 60

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 2689th

Adesanya vs. Strickland
Israel Adesanya, TKO, R2
Israel Adesanya has been my favorite fighter, since 2019 when he beat my previous favorite fighter (Anderson Silva). I get more nervous during Adesanya fights than I did in combat during firefights lol props to Strickland for getting this opportunity. The dude deserves this chance, I don't think many put in the work that he does. He is making a huge mistake if he doesn't at least attempt to wrestle with Izzy though.

Tuivasa vs. Volkov
Alexander Volkov, DEC
This is such a hard one for me to predict! My heart say Tai and my mind says Volkov. Gane was able to manage the distance with Tai with a similar reach of Volkov. Can Volkov do the same? That height difference is very interesting too...Tai will be throwing upward punches to reach that gym, that will be tricky as well. Excited for this fight!

Jousset vs. Crosbie
Kevin Jousset, TKO, R2
I have very high expectations out of Jousset based on comments made by Coach Bareman (if you know, you know). However, I had high expectations out of Blood Diamond based on comments from Coach Bareman, and that hasn't panned out well. However, I think BD is better than he shown. Rooting for the boys from CKB!

"Learning is a gift, even when pain is your teacher."

Swords Song
Swords Song
  • Predictions:  1,113  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  607
  • Post Score: 159

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 715 Points   |   Tied for 49th with 15 others

Adesanya vs. Strickland
Israel Adesanya, TKO, R2
26-0, 20, 11

Tuivasa vs. Volkov
21-5, 15

Kape vs. dos Santos
Manel Kape, TKO, R1
26-0, 23 13-10

Tafa vs. Lane
Justin Tafa, TKO, R1
25-1, 22

Pedro vs. Turkalj
Tyson Pedro, TKO, R1
14-12, 7

Ulberg vs. Jung
Carlos Ulberg, TKO, R1
26-0, 24 20

Jenkins vs. Mariscal
Jack Jenkins, DEC
23-3

Mullarkey vs. Makdessi
Jamie Mullarkey, DEC
26-0,21

Haqparast vs. Quiñones
Nasrat Haqparast, DEC
27-0, 23

Mathetha vs. Radtke
Charles Radtke, SUB, R2
23-3

Young vs. Miranda
Gabriel Miranda, SUB, R1
16-10,9 6

Jousset vs. Crosbie
Kevin Jousset, DEC
22-5, 14

Parlay Boss
Parlay Boss
  • Predictions:  123  |  69.9%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: -4

09.09.2023 | 12:45 PM ET

@Foppa

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 1323rd

Every time I see your picture I think of He-Man getting jerked off by some random white guy in a blue shirt. *** is your picture supposed to be anyway? Get a better image bro 😂

"You are an infection. You are the definition of weakness. Everything that is wrong with the world is because of ******* you." - Strickland

ScullyBully
ScullyBully

09.09.2023 | 12:53 PM ET

Looking forward to cash in

Predictions: 0 of 2 Winners, 0 Perfect, 0 Points   |   Tied for 5632nd

1R Submission 30 sek.
The winner:
Anton "The Pleasure Man" Turkalj..

If Pedro was going to meet:
1. Jailton, it would be over before it started.
2. Petrino, would send him to the underground in 10 sec.
Lisac
Lisac
  • Predictions:  1,567  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  416
  • Post Score: 205

09.09.2023 | 12:53 PM ET

@parlay boss

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 2882nd

If you think of a random guy jerking off He-man when you see that picture you should probably visit a the****** lmao

* Edited at 09.09.2023, 12:54 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 1 month, 3 weeks, 5 days, 11 hours, and 13 minutes from now.
lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,964  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,378
  • Post Score: 40

09.09.2023 | 12:56 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 1901st

Adesanya vs. Strickland
Israel Adesanya, TKO, R4
sean obliges the stand up and avoids being a statue like many others, but it leaves him open.

Tuivasa vs. Volkov
tai is probably too linear to fight range with volkov, he's gonna need to make it dirty and i feel like his chin is more likely to give out.

Kape vs. dos Santos
Manel Kape, TKO, R2
on paper, mismatch, but realistically no idea what felipe brings here. i'll still say kape finds his range on the early side.

Tafa vs. Lane
Justin Tafa, TKO, R1
whatever, just gonna re-use the pick from last time.

Pedro vs. Turkalj
Tyson Pedro, TKO, R3
still seems like they wanna set pedro up so i'm gonna keep picking him.

Ulberg vs. Jung
Carlos Ulberg, TKO, R1
weird matchmaking in terms of momentum differences. jung needs to make it dirty and find ulberg's chin, but i'm not sure he'll survive the range.

Jenkins vs. Mariscal
Jack Jenkins, TKO, R2
punishment booking for derailing the bar room hype around peek? maybe not, but that's the story i'm going with here. really though, chepe could win this if he can force some grappling.

Mullarkey vs. Makdessi
John Makdessi, DEC
i'm not sure jamie will be able to make it dirty enough and makdessi still looks capable of putting up some volume.

Haqparast vs. Quiñones
Nasrat Haqparast, DEC
feeling like nasrat should be able to win on volume if he can avoid getting taken down.

Mathetha vs. Radtke
Charles Radtke, TKO, R2
seems like there's a blueprint for mathetha so we'll see if radtke can avoid the bursts and find td's.

Young vs. Miranda
Gabriel Miranda, DEC
not sure shane will get to fight at range like he would probably prefer.

Jousset vs. Crosbie
Kevin Jousset, DEC
joussett feels like the more responsible pick i guess, kiefer seems like a favor to sbg.

LethalMMA
LethalMMA
  • Predictions:  898  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  572
  • Post Score: 81

09.09.2023 | 1:18 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 7 Winners, 0 Perfect, 280 Points   |   Tied for 5143rd

French fighters are on a 9-0 streak since last week
Jousset start the card, he's french. Take my money.

"Im not impressed by your performance"

ZoomerBet
ZoomerBet
  • Predictions:  2,999  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,136
  • Post Score: 269

09.09.2023 | 1:39 PM ET

ahoy mateys!

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 3575th

"Excuse me guys, I want to say something. I want to stay humble, but I have to talk because you guys talk too much"

leglock
leglock
  • Predictions:  552  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  35
  • Post Score: 43

09.09.2023 | 1:42 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 520 Points   |   Tied for 2583rd

Tuivasa vs. Volkov
Alexander Volkov, TKO, R1
not the distance

Kape vs. dos Santos
Manel Kape, TKO, R1
not the distance

Tafa vs. Lane
Justin Tafa, TKO, R3
not the distance

Pedro vs. Turkalj
Tyson Pedro, TKO, R2
not the distance

Ulberg vs. Jung
Carlos Ulberg, TKO, R1
not the distance

Mathetha vs. Radtke
Charles Radtke, SUB, R2
not the distance

Jousset vs. Crosbie
Kiefer Crosbie, TKO, R3
not the distance

Page 31

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Gilbert Burns won't chase Colby Covington fight: 'Too much drama for me'
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev: Khabib Nurmagomedov happy, but misses fighting
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk prediction roundtable: Who is the true king of the heavyweights?
  • MMA Junkie : Curtis Blaydes: UFC 304 fight vs. Tom Aspinall for 'real belt,' Jon Jones won't unify with winner
  • MMA Mania : Tyson ‘The $100 Million Man’ Fury
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 92 preview show: Can Edson Barboza play spoiler once again?
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92: 21 Tidbits, Facts And Storylines
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall vs. Curtis Blaydes 2: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 304 co-main event
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303 nearing completion with new bout for McGregor vs. Chandler fight card
  • MMA Junkie : Joe Rogan thinks MMA rules favor strikers over grapplers: 'I don't think you should stand people up, ever'
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator Champions Series results: Patchy Mix squeaks by Magomed Magomedov to retain title
  • UFC.com : Adrian Yanez Is Searching For More
  • MMAFighting.com : Patchy Mix ekes past Magomed Magomedov in Bellator Paris title rematch, wins split decision
  • MMA Mania : Knockout! Doumbe Stops Willis In One-Round WAR!
  • Middle Easy : Patchy Mix Defeats Magomed Magomedov Via Split Decision, Retains Bantamweight Title – Bellator: Paris Results (Highlights)
  • MMA Junkie : Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk undisputed title fight is 'something very, very significant'
  • MMA Mania : UFC Fighters Fail To Crack Forbes ‘Highest-Paid’ List
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator Champions Series results: Cedric Doumbe makes quick work of Jaleel Willis to set up Anthony Pettis showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Bellator Paris video: Cedric Doumbe demolishes Jaleel Willis in first round, faces off with Anthony Pettis
  • Middle Easy : Cédric Doumbé Returns to Win Column, Smashes Jaleel Willis in Opening Round – Bellator: Paris Results (Highlights)