Topic: Penn vs. Fitch

Penn vs. Fitch Prediction Commentary

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,729  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,617
  • Post Score: 60

11.22.2010 | 8:54 AM ET

Prediction: Fitch  |  Decision

This is the official prediction commentary thread for Penn vs. Fitch. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 6

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.26.2011 | 8:45 PM ET

Prediction: Penn  |  Decision

not going to argue if you score it that way. but it just shows the limitations of the scoring system.  penn was the beaten fighter, exhausted and getting pummeled.

his strategy was interesting and cool, and it was incredibly impressive to take jon fitch's back like that... twice.    but i can't look at the overall story of the fight as anything but fitch decisively taking control and being the superior fighter at the 15 minute mark.

"I live, I die, I live again."

jm083b
jm083b
  • Predictions:  401  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: 80

02.27.2011 | 8:00 AM ET

BJ surprised me with his ability to compete with Fitch's size. I think a draw was warranted. 
LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.27.2011 | 8:20 AM ET

I thought the third round was easily a 10 - 8 round for Jon Fitch which is where I'm sure the draw came from.  I mean Fitch had BJ on his back within seconds and then relentlessly beat on his face until the bell.  BJ did nothing but squirm.  I need to see the fight again, but I think I had Jon Fitch winning the first or second round as well.  Regardless I think Jon Fitch won that fight.  I mean BJ was beaten up and looked like a sad kid while Jon Fitch was happy and celebrating after the fight.  BJ had some impressive submission attempts, but how does Jon Fitch not get big points for not only surviving them, but reversing the position?  How many guys are able to get out of BJ's body triangle and into a dominant position?  I thought Jon Fitch deserved the victory in this fight.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

M dot 50
M dot 50
  • Predictions:  368  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  20
  • Post Score: 55

02.27.2011 | 10:39 AM ET

Personally I don't see 3rd as a 10-8... He controlled the round from the top, but I don't feel he was about to finish him... Rd 1 Bj and Rd 2 Bj... but judges must have given JF round 3 10-8... 
TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

02.27.2011 | 10:53 AM ET

I think Penn won the first two rounds.

As for the third Fitch did not do enough damage to cause a 10-8. Sure he controlled BJ.. but that is about it.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

02.27.2011 | 11:02 AM ET

i also didn't see the 3rd as a 10-8. he gained top position and then peppered him with little inside shots and elbows. he never attempted to pass and he never threatened to finish. bj was aware of where he was the entire time.

by comparison, that round was almost identical to the first round of the forrest griffin - rich franklin fight a few weeks ago, and nobody thought that was a 10-8.

i personally have no problem with a ref standing a fight up under those circumstances after 3 or 4 minutes, if the top guy is making no attempt to improve his position or finish the fight.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

TheVigilante
TheVigilante
  • Predictions:  566  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  30
  • Post Score: 30

02.27.2011 | 12:35 PM ET

The 3rd round was pretty much a textbook 10-8 IMO. Complete control and outstruck him about 110 to 2. Doesn't get clearer than that. The first round was 10-9 Penn which just leaves a close 2nd round as the difference between 29-27 Fitch or a 28-28 draw.
LynxGuy
LynxGuy

02.27.2011 | 2:33 PM ET

Fitch outstruck BJ 149 to 2 in the 3rd round according to Fight Metric.  If that's not a 10 - 8 round what exactly is?  I think a lot of people just don't like Fitch while a lot of people love BJ.  I think if BJ outstruck Fitch 149 - 2 while standing, regardless of whether or not BJ was throwing power shots or just jabs, people would be calling for a freaking 10 - 7 round.  Also BJ's face was very bruised up after the fight, it's not like Fitch was raining down little pillow punches or soft elbows.

Apparent quote from Dana "Fitch is saying give me my respect.  He just fought a 155-pound guy to a draw and lost the first two rounds IMO."

The hate for Fitch just comes from all angles..  imagine if this fight was 5 rounds?

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.27.2011 | 4:34 PM ET

Lynx.. did you watch the fight?

All Fitch did was lay and pray in the round, it was not that dominating by any stretch of the imagination. By your comparison, then Frankie and Maynard round one should have been a 10-7.

No offense, but you are completely wrong here. He did not do any substantial damage nor did he even seem to hurt BJ Penn

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.27.2011 | 4:49 PM ET

Personally I scored the third a 10-8 for Fitch.

@TacomaTerror: Your example of the Edgar/Maynard Round 1 being a 10-7 by comparison is unfounded IMO. I've been arguing with people about this since the fight. At the end of the first round between Edgar and Maynard, Edgar was actually doing pretty well. He was moving around and actually stung Maynard with a few shots in the final minute of action. It was clearly a 10-8 round.

By comparison, BJ literally managed zero offense in the third round, and I find the sentiment that Fitch was doing little damage to be unfounded as well. In the second round, I agree that Fitch did almost nothing from the top, but comparing the third round to the first round of Griffin/Franklin is completely ridiculous. As @LynxGuy said, BJ looked like a mess after the fight, and all of that damage was suffered in the third round. Additionally, Fitch got BJ to the ground in the third by stunning him with a hard right hand and shooting right in for the takedown.

I don't think the argument should be about whether or not the third was a 10-8, but rather why more judges aren't willing to give out 10-10s or 10-8s in other fights to create that ever elusive aspect of consistency in MMA judging.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

LynxGuy
LynxGuy

02.27.2011 | 5:25 PM ET

@Tacoma - I don't think you have a clear understand of what people call lay n pray.  Fitch knew he was possibly down two rounds which is why he was so aggressive in the third round.  He wasn't holding onto Penn hoping to get the decision because he did enough in the first two rounds to secure a win.  He was going at Penn hard because he knew he could have lost those first two rounds.  He at least secured himself the draw by giving it everything he had in that third round, landing 149 shots to BJ's 2 and taking the round 10-8 on two judge's scorecards.  That's not what lay n pray is.

GutturalReef
GutturalReef
  • Predictions:  386  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  105
  • Post Score: 39

02.27.2011 | 5:30 PM ET

What's the deal with me getting a lose because a fight ending in a draw? I mean, a draw wasn't an option, so why am I being deduced and given a loss for something I was never offered?!

"If people ain't hatin', you doin' somethin' wrong...."

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.27.2011 | 5:48 PM ET

I simply feel that in the third round Fitch was never close to finnishing the fight, and that you cannot have a 10-8 round without putting the other guy in immidiate danger and rocking him a couple of times. And Maynard was landing much more powerful blows on Edgar then Fitch was.. really Edgar was in danger of the fight ending and BJ was not.

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.27.2011 | 6:09 PM ET

@Guttural

The likelyhood of a draw is tiny in comparison to wins and losses. They did not give you the option because it would RARELY be used.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.27.2011 | 6:11 PM ET

I don't think we are going to make an option for picking draw, but we will probably change it so that it won't count as a loss.

"I live, I die, I live again."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

02.27.2011 | 6:12 PM ET

Prediction: Penn  |  Submission  |  Round 2

Round 1 I thought was Penn's pretty easy...2nd round was really close with Penn scoring a TD and taking Fitch's back so I could see the judges giving it to Penn...3rd round was easily 10-8 Fitch...so I saw a draw, but the majority of times I think a fight is a draw someone usually gets the win

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

02.27.2011 | 6:22 PM ET

Honestly I though BJ won the second as well by getting his back twice and the sub attempt.

But I thought it could have gone either way, and I think a Draw is the correct call.

I'm a bit excited to see them fight again!

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Fight By Fight Preview | UFC Fight Night: Barboza vs Murphy
  • UFC.com : Fight-By-Fight Preview | UFC Fight Night: Barboza vs Murphy
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator Champions Series: Make your predictions for bantamweight title fight in Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson press conference live stream from New York (5:30 p.m. ET)
  • UFC.com : UFC Fight Pass Invitational Rules and Scoring
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Claims ‘The Ship Has Sailed’ on Ian Garry Fight, Calls Out Charles Oliveira and Belal Muhammad
  • MMA Mania : A ‘Smashing’ Debut!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC books 'Korean Super Boy' Doo Ho Choi return vs. Bill Algeo
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo has ‘several offers on the table’ after UFC 301 win but won’t make decision until hearing UFC offer
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul press conference video at 5:30 p.m. ET
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis medical suspensions: 2 fighters face indefinite layoffs until cleared
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour with Aldo, Till, Hooper, Feldman, and Johnson now
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator champ Ryan Bader joins cast for Mark Kerr biopic starring The Rock
  • UFC.com : UFC Fight Pass Invitational 7
  • MMAFighting.com : Colby Covington says ship sailed on Ian Machado Garry fight, wants Belal Muhammad or Charles Oliveira instead
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 medical suspensions: Nine fighters headed to shelf after St. Louis return
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241: Make your predictions for Edson Barboza vs. Lerone Murphy
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Bader joins cast for Mark Kerr biopic starring Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson
  • MMA Mania : Covington Calls For ‘Legacy’ Fight Against Oliveira
  • UFC.com : Lerone Murphy Primed To Test Himself