Topic: Nick Diaz

Nick Diaz Fined, Suspended Five Years by NAC

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

09.14.2015 | 5:46 PM ET

Absolutely Insane. 

I actually had this whole hearing on Fight Pass while I worked in the FightCenter today. Diaz's legal team brought the heat and NAC responded with pitifully bruised egos. 

This one's certainly going to court, and we'll see what happens; hopefully we get a repeat of Brady v. NFL.

* Edited at 09.14.2015, 5:46 PM ET *

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Nick Diaz

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Nicholas Robert Diaz
  • Pro MMA Record: 26-10-0, 2 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: N/A
  • Current Streak: 3 Losses
  • Last Fight: September 25, 2021 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Middleweight | Last Weigh-In: 185.5 lbs
  • Affiliation: Cesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu
  • Height: 6'1" (185cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,665,950 USD
  • Born: Stockton, California, United States
  • Fighting out of: Stockton, California
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 3

HaikuMan
HaikuMan
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6
  • Post Score: -250

09.15.2015 | 10:21 PM ET

Nick Diaz fights hard
Bad athletic commission
Nevada corrupt

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

09.16.2015 | 12:01 AM ET

Well if there's any silver lining, it's that Nick gets the retirement he wanted, 5 years is still ********. This really sucks, I doubt it will happen but I hope the sentence gets reduced if that's possible and if not, I hope the UFC releases him so he can fight overseas which probably will not happen because...ya know, zuffa gonna zuffa.

* Edited at 09.16.2015, 12:04 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 1 month, 3 weeks, 5 days, 9 hours, and 4 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,570  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,603
  • Post Score: 69

09.16.2015 | 2:22 PM ET

Now Cejudo says he will not fight in Nevada due to this.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232

09.16.2015 | 3:28 PM ET

I get there is rules but man this is just outrageous, especially for something that doesn't really affect the outcome of a fight like steroids do. And this pretty much puts and end to his career if it's upheld.

#FREEDIAZ

* Edited at 09.16.2015, 3:28 PM ET *

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

poir420
poir420

10.13.2015 | 10:53 AM ET

Looks like Diaz needs another 18,000 signatures on the white house petition!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/lift-nsac-ban-mma-fighter-nick-diaz

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

10.13.2015 | 11:37 AM ET

It needs 17,999 now. I know only one American Zip Code... I am Griffy, from 90210!

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Griffy
Griffy

10.13.2015 | 1:43 PM ET

GSP supports #FreeDiaz

“Personally, I think five years is a lot, especially if you compare his case to Anderson Silva or other athletes who got caught cheating and received a lighter suspension,” St-Pierre told French-Canadian news outlet RDS. “I think they wanted to use him as an example because of how colorful he is and of the attention he gets. They wanted to create a precedent similar to what has been done in Olympic sports with Marion Jones, for example.

“Unfortunately, it happened to fall on him, but I think everyone is entitled to a second chance.”

“This is a drug, yes, but I think there should be different penalties for certain products that competitors use, because then it does not really make sense,” St-Pierre said. “Marijuana can help a person suffering from anxiety, but it cannot make you physically stronger or more powerful, more efficient. The sanctions should not be as severe.”

“Nick is a very charismatic, he makes a lot of attention, but it’s not someone I hate. I have no hatred toward him,” St-Pierre said. “Many things had been said before our fight, but it was only in sporting terms. I did not take anything personal.

“We need guys like him in the sport, and I hope he will return soon. If I can help in one way or another, without getting in trouble, it’ll make me happy to do so. This is someone that I like, and I wish him the best of luck.”

Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

10.13.2015 | 2:32 PM ET

GSP started smoking weed heavy after the Diaz fight.  It's killed his motivation over the past couple of years, as you can see.

Aliens.
Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

10.13.2015 | 2:54 PM ET

The whole Whitehouse petition is a little ridiculous.  First it's a state issue and the Whitehouse will say as much if the signature quota is actually reached. Second any signature that is not from an American citizen or any duplicates get automatically invalidated there arw plenty on non US citizens who have admitted to signing it and others who have done multiple signatures.  

The better way to make a difference would be to write to the NSAC directly demanding some kind of change. If the 10s of thousands of people who signed that  useless petition sent a letter to the NSAC or write at the very least an email you might actually see some change. Especially if you pladged to keep sending emails or letters until they publicly adress the issue. Change takes more effort than taking 2 seconds to sign a petition. The fact it's struggling to make its quota shows a strong lack of support. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,578  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.13.2015 | 3:25 PM ET

I don't entirely agree on that. The way I see it, Nick Diaz isn't the big issue here, it's the fact that a governing body abuses its power and allows itself to dish out life changing punishment without a proper process and with disregard to evidence or lack thereof.

I think once a governing body starts to act like a dictatorship you need to go over its head.

Not that I think anything will come out of this, but I do think it's a matter you can't take up with NSAC since they're the ones "on trial" here and they've already shown that they consider themselves kings of all that is combat sports governing.

I for one don't see Diaz as an innocent party and believe he deserves every one of the 5 years he got because he knows the rules and chooses to break them time and again. On the other hand, if you're going to dish out 5 years bans which affect a guy's ability to make a living you need to make sure you've got enough real evidence to do so (2 out of 3 tests were clean and they decided the one is enough to act on) and that your protocols in getting to that point where you're laying down the law give the accused a fair stage to defend himself and the "evidence collection" is sterile and impartial. None of this exists with NSAC as of now so they need to be put under the spotlight themselves, therefore cannot be the address for complaints by any means.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Bigj383
Bigj383

10.13.2015 | 3:44 PM ET

You are still talking to the wrong government. It's unlikely the federal government can do anything to change the NSAC. It's a state organization. You should be writing to those within the Nevada state government not the federal government.  This is a change that has to happen withing the NSAC and they will respond to public pressure. In a way Nick Diaz'es 5 year ban was in response to people demanding harsher penalties for those who fail drug tests. They just took it too far amd applied it to all drug tests not just PED tests. No other commission has to honor Diaz'es suspension and the UFC doesn't have to honor it either though it's there policy to do so. The fed has no power to do anything to an org like the NSAC. When you fight for change you have to pick the right fight and the opponent.  When you ask for help you have to ask from somebody who can make a difference.  

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

10.13.2015 | 4:02 PM ET

GSP helping nick Diaz. YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, 10 hours, and 34 minutes from now.
poir420
poir420

10.13.2015 | 4:05 PM ET

"The fed has no power to do anything to an org like the NSAC"

Pretty sure the federal government can do whatever the **** they want if they really wanted to!

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

10.13.2015 | 4:09 PM ET

the Feds could shut down joe kerr's bacon belt if they wanted too.   I should know. most of my family is back near D.C. and are in homeland security and told me so. there watching. + _ =

* Edited at 10.13.2015, 4:12 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, 10 hours, and 34 minutes from now.
ArkansasPsycho
ArkansasPsycho
  • Predictions:  13,637  |  58.8%
  • Forum Posts:  29
  • Post Score: 200

10.13.2015 | 4:10 PM ET

Federal government interfering with state laws is a slippery slope, but it happens all the time, or at least used to when it came to medical marijuana dispensaries. DEA agents kicking down the doors to dispensaries and raiding them even though the state voted in favor of it and it's perfectly legal according to state law. It's like Poir said, if Feds want to become involved, they will.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 21 hours, and 4 minutes from now.
Bigj383
Bigj383

10.13.2015 | 4:45 PM ET

That's an issue of Federal law vs. State Law. Federally Marijuana is still very much illegal so the DEA enforces those laws. Because Federal Law trumps State Law. But even if you are trying to pass a Federal law you have to talk to congress not the Whitehouse. There are no existing Federal laws governing suspensions dished out by Athletic Commissions. Despite what people think the Fed can't just do whatever they want at least publicly and legally.  Sure they could break their own laws and they do but they sure aren't going to do it in public and sure as hell not for people who fail drug tests for a federally illegal substance.  

poir420
poir420

10.13.2015 | 4:55 PM ET

Agreed they probably wouldn't get involved with this in any way at all, I'm just saying if they wanted to they could definitely do whatever they wanted to.

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

10.13.2015 | 5:43 PM ET

They went easy on him, I say kill the ************.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Griffy
Griffy

12.08.2015 | 11:16 PM ET

The White House has responded to the Nick Diaz Suspension petition:

Bigj383
Bigj383

12.09.2015 | 12:08 AM ET

Hmmm it's a state issue so they won't do anything... Who would have seen that coming?  ;)

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour LIVE now
  • MMA Junkie : Gilbert Burns vs. Sean Brady targeted for UFC Fight Night main event on Sept. 7
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa's relief to snap skid at UFC Louisville came with bonus vengeance
  • Middle Easy : John McCarthy Responds To Tank Abbott’s Claim About His UFC Exit And Incident With ‘Big John’s’ Wife
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘End it how you want to end it’: Briggs encourages Wilder and Broner to keep fighting
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘End it how you want to end it’: Shannon Briggs encourages Deontay Wilder, Adrien Broner to keep fighting
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean O’Malley reveals potential dates for Merab Dvalishvili title fight
  • MMA Junkie : Spinning Back Clique LIVE: Imavov-Cannonier ends in controversy, Conor McGregor & UFC 303 drama, more
  • MMA Junkie : Ali Abdelaziz: Amanda Nunes retired because 'biggest nightmare' Kayla Harrison was coming to the UFC
  • MMA Mania : Watch Silva Work Out For Sonnen Boxing Match
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Where is my money?’: Garcia and Haney accuse Golden Boy of non-payment from their PPV fight
  • MMA Mania : Commission Rules On Silva Eye Poke Appeal
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Pereira on Jamahal Hill's late reaction to UFC 300 celebration: 'Maybe he just woke up from the knockout'
  • MMAFighting.com : On To the Next One: What’s next for Dominick Reyes after first win in 1,695 days at UFC Louisville?
  • MMA Junkie : Matchup Roundup: New UFC, PFL, Bellator fights announced in the past week (June 3-9)
  • MMA Mania : ‘Let’s Make Her Fight Some Men’
  • MMAFighting.com : Eddie Hall calls out Mariusz Pudzianowski for ‘World’s Strongest Man’ fight after viral 2-on-1 powerbomb win
  • MMA Mania : Up Next! Perez Battles Taira At APEX!
  • MMA Junkie : Dustin Stoltzfus reveals fractured face, nerve damage after Brunno Ferreira's spinning elbow KO at UFC Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Is Cannonier vs Imavov 2 The Move To Make?