Topic: Rory MacDonald

Dana confirms Rory gets Hendricks/Lawler Winner

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

10.08.2014 | 7:06 PM ET

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Rory "Red King" MacDonald

Fighter Details

• Name: Rory MacDonald
  • Pro MMA Record: 23-10-1 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Red King
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: August 13, 2022 in PFL
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Tristar Gym
  • Height: 6'0" (183cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,290,000 USD
  • Born: Quesnel, British Columbia, Canada
  • Fighting out of: Deerfield Beach, FL
  • Head Coach: Firas Zahabi
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 3

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

10.08.2014 | 10:34 PM ET

@theMMAmessiah HAHAHAHAHAHA YOU IDIOT LMFAO YOU ARE SUCH A ******* NARCISSIST IT'S AMAZING

The problem isn't that I can't upload a JPEG, it's that your job as a busboy isn't paying you enough to upgrade that Dial-Up connection set-up you got going on.

By god Downsey, I've just been bullying you this entire night it isn't even fair. It's obvious that picking up dishes for 40 hours a week has taken a toll on you, so I'm just going to leave you alone now. Take care bud.

"الله أكبرl"

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,335  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,974
  • Post Score: 195

10.08.2014 | 10:37 PM ET

Mr. Rogers was super ******* classy and anyone who dresses like him is also classy, even if they're 20. I can't abide by any questioning of Mr. Rogers's class level. 

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

10.08.2014 | 10:57 PM ET

It's always these young contentious fighters : Jon Jones, Diaz, Macdonald etc.. that bring out the best in the members. I don't really think Rory's loss to Lawler is indicative of much. There are tons of examples where people lose, get dramatically better and win a title.

See: Dillashaw, mighty mouse, shogun, velasquez list goes on.

I think the fact issue people hate rory because he is a reserved guy who doesnt dress like your typical MMA fighter. People like to jump on anything its funny. Instead of talking about the fight, half this thread is dedicated to how rory looks like a '***' 'metrosexual' 'nazi'. 

Rory is a rangey fighter, with a high fight IQ. He has finishing power, and is pretty solid everywhere. Most of his wins have been impressive and exciting, but people jump on his Ellenberger fight. Selective memory. Let's talk about his most recent fights. Pretty much one-punch Saffedine, and outclassed woodley. Of course he has a shot. 

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Anik
Anik

10.08.2014 | 11:05 PM ET

Rory MacDonald doesn't have a high fight IQ. Rory MacDonald is the perfect example of a fighter with an excellent gym, a world class coach but an average fight IQ.

He constantly has momentary lapses of judgement and he literally has zero ability to adjust on the fly, when the gameplan doesn't work his brain just kind of...stops. If anything, I would say that Rory MacDonald's biggest issue is his fight IQ, or lackthereof. He's an excellent wrestler, a solid well-rounded striker, he's strong, he's fast, people give him too much **** for his cardio when in reality it's actually pretty good, it's just his fight IQ that will never let him be a champion.

In my eyes, fight IQ is the most important quality a fighter can have. Look at all of the UFC champions and notice how all of them are very intelligent fighters. The same cannot be said for Rory MacDonald, and that's why I don't think he'll be a champion.

But again, he's still young so who knows what will happen.

That Saffiedine fight was pretty boring though, in my opinion.

"الله أكبرl"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,552  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.08.2014 | 11:28 PM ET

@jitz, Rory doesn't have a high fight IQ, imo. He knows how to follow a gameplan but when that doesn't work or someone solves his very basic gameplan (see Lawler fight) he loses confidence and has no ability to switch up or adapt. If you can push through his jab and "man him up" he starts backing down (I'd actually pick Matt Brown to beat Rory because that's his exact style).

I'm pretty sure Lawler would beat him again, more convincingly this time but I can see him managing to keep Johny at bay, though Johny's chin makes it hard to fend off both punches and TDs for 25 minutes, I'd still give Rory the better chance vs Hendricks.

But he's gonna be fighting Robbie, so tough. Robbie DGAF if they fight in Canada, Uzbekistan or Rory's kitchen (as long as they keep him away from the avocado knife).

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Anik
Anik

10.08.2014 | 11:36 PM ET

What's with all of this hatred for Johny Hendricks? He nullified GSP's jab, why wouldn't he be able to do the same with Rory's?

"الله أكبرl"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,552  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.08.2014 | 11:45 PM ET

Not hatred, and to answer your question, because Rory's longer and much more tentative than GSP. GSP would try to jab his way into a takedown which once Johny stuffed time and again exposed he had nothing more and Johny's improved boxing (most definitely not top 3 in any division) could show more because he was more or less at range. I have a feeling with a guy as long and tentative as Rory, Johny will fall back to lunging in looking for the one-punch and we'll see one more similar to the Kos fight than the GSP fight.

I don't compare GSP's jab to Rory's, I try to compare how Johny would deal with each of their styles and physical attributes.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

10.09.2014 | 12:32 AM ET

Jesus. Calm down everyone. This thread went to ****. Should be a debate about Rory's viability as a contender, not how weird he is or accusing him of being gay and ****. 

Yes, I understand and accept the counter-arguments. I personally believe he can beat either guy ... so we will see. Isn't that the great thing about this situation?

And BTW, as unpopular of an opinion as it is, I don't think the GSP that fought Diaz or Hendricks was the same guy who dominated the division for years. Statistics back that up, as do persistent rumors coming out of his camp that were denied by his coaches ... the most likely ppl to make excuses for him. 

But whatevs. If you really want to talk **** about how Rory suck and all this stuff, which is ridiculous since he's now made three top WWs in a row look like **** (outside Maia, who he thoroughly dominated after a tough first round), I'll just bring up the fact that Hendricks looked like crap against Rick Story and I scored the Koscheck, Mike Pierce and Lawler fights against him. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

10.09.2014 | 12:51 AM ET

This thread went off the rails and tumbled down the mountainside.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

10.09.2014 | 1:02 AM ET

I know I am a little late, but it is true that @skelliher has for long time thought Rory was better then lawler and hendericks. 

"here I come to save the day"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

10.09.2014 | 1:22 AM ET

Can the Natural Born Killer hurry the **** up and get back to slaughtering these poser WW's.

When the **** is Rick Story gonna start getting a crack at these bozo's in the top 10.  Had Gunner won that fight everyone would be clamoring for him to fight top guys, but not story WHO ACTUALLY DOES have a win over LiL Rig!!!

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Lopati
Lopati

10.09.2014 | 1:23 AM ET

you guys wanna talk about a simpleton game plan just watch a johny hendrix fight.  Throw left hand, chase with takedown rinse and repeat for 15-25 minutes unless he gets lucky and lands that left hand in the first 20 seconds.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Lopati
Lopati

10.09.2014 | 1:25 AM ET

Skelli and I don't agree on much, but his assessment of Hendrix is on point.  If he didn't land that left hand in a couple fights he would have never gotten a title shot.  He provided a few moments of Shock n Awe and the UFC capitalized on the momentum and gave him a title shot.

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

10.09.2014 | 4:44 AM ET

Mr Rogers had a pair of shoes he puts on in between switching pairs of shoes.
FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

10.09.2014 | 6:58 AM ET

@Lopati that game plan works for Cain V and people say he is the GOAT HW lol, so why not for Johnny.

First I want to say that Rory is a good, well rounded fighter and has a chance against anyone in the division. So I agree with Skell even if we disagree on the % of that chance.

I also agree with yossgold in the thought that he has a better chance against Johnny but that won't matter cause Robbie will win and they will have a rematch. 

From a technical stand point Rory will have a tough time with either guy. Rory relies on his jab and when that is taken away he has a tough time, especially if he can't out wrestle someone. He won't out wrestle either guy and both are southpaws which will take away the effectiveness of his jab. Lawler is just a flat out better striker and Bigg Rigg has enough power to end the fight. The size difference in Rigg vs Rory would worry me though.
michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

10.09.2014 | 9:47 AM ET

me reading this thread.

"Frig off, bud"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

10.09.2014 | 1:06 PM ET

I had some extremely relevant posts deleted from this thread. This saddens me.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 4 months, 3 weeks, 5 days, 4 hours, and 34 minutes from now.
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,573
  • Post Score: 275

10.09.2014 | 1:22 PM ET

A goatse photo that I never saw?  I'm glad I never saw it if it's what I imagine it might be.  And do not post stuff like that again.

"I live, I die, I live again."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

10.09.2014 | 1:30 PM ET

It was the picture Tapology deserved, but not the one it needed right now. So you'll hunt me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not your hero. I'm a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 4 months, 3 weeks, 5 days, 4 hours, and 34 minutes from now.
slamdistraction
slamdistraction
  • Predictions:  702  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  249
  • Post Score: 117

10.09.2014 | 2:47 PM ET

"Beating people up is a positive thing –Tank Abbott"

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Bassil Hafez eager to 'beat the sh*t out of' Mickey Gall at UFC 302, show he's better than debut loss
  • Middle Easy : PFL Founder Donn Davis Disses Kayla Harrison’s Move to the UFC, Dubs Her a ‘Follower Who Needs Validation’
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia’s legal team responds to positive B-sample results for Devin Haney fight
  • Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia’s B-sample also positive, legal team releases statement
  • MMA Junkie : Miranda Maverick: 'Pretty girl on Instagram' Tracy Cortez doesn't deserve UFC ranking
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Kayla Harrison, Comedian Che Durena
  • Middle Easy : Paddy Pimblett is Not Thrilled About Fighting ‘Sh*t Human Being’ Bobby Green at UFC 304 in Manchester
  • MMA Mania : Garcia Returns Positive ‘B Sample,’ Goes Nuts On Twitter
  • MMAFighting.com : BTL: McGregor speaks, Usyk beats Fury, UFC Vegas 92 and Bellator Paris, UFC star building
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Between the Links LIVE NOW
  • MMA Junkie : Paddy Pimblett accuses 'proper sh*t human being' Bobby Green of lying after UFC 304 booking
  • Bad Left Hook : Garcia’s B-sample also positive for ostarine
  • MMAFighting.com : Report: Ryan Garcia B-sample tests positive for banned substance in Devin Haney fight; Garcia responds
  • Middle Easy : 20 Million People Illegally Streamed Oleksandr Usyk vs. Tyson Fury, Costing Broadcasters More Than $100 Million in Lost Revenue
  • MMAFighting.com : Belal Muhammad calls Leon Edwards ‘weak’ mentally, ‘easily broken’
  • MMAFighting.com : Belal Muhammad calls Leon Edwards mentally ‘weak,’ ‘easily broken’
  • MMA Junkie : 'I thought it was crazy': Now a believer, Chris Lytle sees similarities between BKFC and UFC early days
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC 304 Fight Card, PPV Lineup
  • UFC.com : Desert Island Fights | Part 5
  • MMA Junkie : Dustin Poirier fine without fourth Conor McGregor fight: 'I don't need that bad energy in my life'