Tapology Forums

Melendez Not With UFC?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

02.12.2014 | 8:21 PM ET

Apparently negotiations between the UFC and Gilbert Melendez have stalled. Dana even said he should field offers from other promotions. Wow.......I just.....How did this happen?

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Responses

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

02.12.2014 | 8:26 PM ET

Clearly Gilbert and his people are asking for far too much. I see no other reason why getting him a contract would be so problematic.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  34,951  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,408
  • Post Score: 322

02.12.2014 | 8:28 PM ET

Managers dude. You want to think managers do what's for your best interests, but sometimes they just won't come to terms with anything. Unless someone comes out with more info within the actual negotiations, which I'm sure will come out sooner or later, we won't fully know what's going on.

With that said, lets hope this doesn't turn into anything like Brandon Vera.

* Edited at 02.12.2014, 8:29 PM ET *

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

02.12.2014 | 8:32 PM ET

guess he must have the same manager as the Diaz brothers. look where they are at right now. Sucks, he had a good shot of being the champ and actually should already be.

Edit: Guess he has the same manager as GSP. not sure thats any better.

* Edited at 02.12.2014, 8:35 PM ET *

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  34,951  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,408
  • Post Score: 322

02.12.2014 | 8:33 PM ET

^Nope. He has the same manager as GSP.

* Edited at 02.12.2014, 8:33 PM ET *

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

02.12.2014 | 8:34 PM ET

Wow, I didn't see this coming. Hopefully he stays.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

02.12.2014 | 10:02 PM ET

Thing is, Gil kind of deserves a big payday. For all intents and purposes, he was 1 round on 1 judges card from being the champ. I don't want to see him leave, but I know Bellator and WSOF would be more than willing to pay him big for his services. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

02.12.2014 | 10:30 PM ET

He was the WEC and Strikeforce champion, he was a UFC Titlechallenger which he lost a controversial decision in, put on what will most likely be fight.of the year against Diego Sanchez and has.been around quitr a while with a lot of marquee wins,.a  record.and a pleasing style. The UFC.probably.offered him a 60/60k contract.and he probably feels he deserves at least twice that much....which he obviously does.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

02.12.2014 | 10:51 PM ET

I have him down for making $175,000 per fight!  

What's the matter with his sports agent?  He makes more than Aldo ($120K), Faber ($100K).

If he goes elsewhere, he's a crazy nutjob.

* Edited at 02.12.2014, 11:10 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Nomad
Nomad

02.12.2014 | 11:08 PM ET

If he can get a 150/150k deal from Bellator or WSOF it will be great, it will take things like this for promotions to ever be competitive with the UFC once again. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.12.2014 | 11:16 PM ET

No, no, no Nomad.  If Gilbert goes to Bellator, he'll quickly run out of top competition and not be able to sustain a high MMA ranking.

It's unfortunate, but at this particular moment in the development of MMA, there are no other organizations that have the financial strength to pay top dollar or provide top competition.  This will not always be so, but it is now.

When Gilbert came on over from Strikeforce, Benson Henderson was gracious enough to give him a debut title shot.  And Benson himself only makes $100K per fight.  So, they rolled out the Red Carpet to get him here.

Mark my words.  Gilbert will sign another UFC contract, whether or not they up his asking price.  Mark my words.

So, Gilbert Melendez is now making almost TWICE what Faber or Henderson make.  How can he not be happy?

* Edited at 02.12.2014, 11:18 PM ET *

Nomad
Nomad

02.12.2014 | 11:31 PM ET

Honestly think Eddie, Chandler and maybe even brooks arecompetitive fights for Gil, with Hawn moving back down after.Lima kills him and Bellator presumably able.to formulate a bit.more.talent at 155Ibs I dont see it as  some championship duckwalk for him at all. Other organizations having top talent and stars will lead to a healthier progression for the sport and the UFC.

Nomad
Nomad

02.12.2014 | 11:37 PM ET

Bill you're being an idiot agai., the UFC can pay fighters a lot better than they do, Gil is worth 150/150 its just the UFF doesn't have  to due to no competition. Once WSOF or Bellator can, it will ve  best for the fighters. Mamed Khalidov gets paid more than 100k per KSW fight, UFC offers him 40/40 hes obviously worth much more....top 10 MW , crazy exciting and carries a large polish and chechen fanbase. UFC thinks their offers are the only offers and that rival mma companies are a joke.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.13.2014 | 12:18 AM ET

@Nomad  You're not painting a pretty picuture of the UFC.  

I will be surprised if Gilbert goes elsewhere.  I don't think he will.

Yes, it will be better for MMA and the fighters when there are multiple MMA organizations of strong strength.

But the price we fans will pay is that some of the best will not be fighting each other until the groups are mature enough to tolerate cross-promotion.  And the UFC sounds like they are a LONG way from that level of maturity.

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

02.13.2014 | 2:21 AM ET

I believe the 175k is likely his Strikeforce contract pay. He's probably looking at a significant pay cut if he stays with the UFC because they'll sign him to a new contract and he'll be making less than Henderson's 100k a fight, no doubt. He's probably having some difficulty adjusting to the idea of an almost 100k pay cut per fight, which you can't fault him for.

Honestly, if he can pull that money elsewhere, he should go there. 

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

Blackwork
Blackwork

02.13.2014 | 2:23 AM ET

Not cross promoting is a business strategy. It has nothing to do with maturity. 

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.13.2014 | 2:34 AM ET

Maybe.  For his fight with Henderson, Benson made $100K for the win and another $100K for the win, bringing his winnings for the night to $200K.  Gilbert made $175K in defeat.  But I read that that $175K was a carryover from his old Strikeforce contract.

When he fought Diego Sanchez, that was the last fight on his contract.  He made $175K to show, and they gave him a $60k Bonus for Fight of the Night.  

So, now they are probably trying to whittle him down to under what Henderson and Faber makes.  Under $100K per fight.  

And like Blackwork said above, that is a big cut from what he was used to making.  But like Nomad said above, if he goes to Bellator, they would probably give him maybe the $100K or more.  He would be a big red feather in their cap.  But he would have Michael Chander and Eddie Alvarez to fight.

But Alvarez is looking to come to the UFC.  So, maybe they will cross paths.  

But I still think Gilbert will opt to stay here.  Money isn't everything, and in order to fulfill his destiny and career MMA potential, he needs to stay in the UFC and fight the best competition available.

It will come down to his need to be paid well or his need to prove he's the best fighter.  I think his need to fight the best will get the best of him.  At least I hope so.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.13.2014 | 2:36 AM ET

All things, including business strategies are a matter of experience, maturity, wisdom, etc.  Money is an important part but not everything, even though it appears so.

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

02.13.2014 | 2:52 AM ET

I think the UFC want to bring him down a bit from his inflated Strikeforce contract (at least in their eyes) and Gil doesn't see any reason he should get a cut in pay since he's still in his prime and a viable contender. Both of them are in the right since from the UFC POV he shouldn't be making so much more that the champ and ex-champ.

I don't see him not signing with the UFC eventually, problem is, when it comes to the negotiating starting point, they basically have the stronger hand because Gil has already played the "making a ****load of money but will never be #1" for too long ... I think he wants that UFC belt more than anything right now.

* Edited at 02.13.2014, 2:53 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Blackwork
Blackwork

02.13.2014 | 3:44 AM ET

Bill, the way you're phrasing it comes across as the UFC is immature by not co-promoting and if and when the company matures they will co promote. I just think that's a false premise. I actually think that the more mature the company is the less likely co promotion will be beneficial, assuming it can gain entry into new markets on its own.

The UFC doesn't need to co promote and by doing so it would just lend credibility to its competitor's and co promoters' brands. The UFC has the financial resources to host its own shows. It's the industry leader at breaking into new markets, acquiring talent, and marketing. How many leagues do the NFL, NBA, or NHL co promote with? I'm sure you could find some historical examples, but surely you get my point. 

The UFC can simply gain any traditional advantages co promoting would provide by acquiring the rival MMA promotion or poaching its talent through more lucrative contract offers. There will be the one-off exceptions like Fedor, but I'd argue its actual the more mature and rational decision to not give up the keys to the kingdom for any one fighter.

So, you've made the statement but Can you please articulate one thing that the UFC would gain -- and please separate that out from what the fans would gain -- if the UFC co promoted with any other existing mma promotion? I sincerely doubt that you're going to be able to be able to come up with any compelling reason that would justify co promotion by the UFC at this stage of the company's existence. 

2kTweeK
2kTweeK
  • Predictions:  6,520  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,103
  • Post Score: 141

02.13.2014 | 5:24 AM ET

this is why it was good for the fans ufc bought strikeforce but not for the fighters, hope Gil signs a contract he will be champ soon anyway

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : The 10: Mapping Out The Must-See UFC Fights In The Month Ahead
  • UFC.com : Vitor Petrino Aims To Continue Rapid Ascent
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Thinks Justin Gaethje Is ‘One Win Away’ From Getting A Title Shot Despite UFC 300 KO Loss
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski confident Max Holloway makes it 'look easy' against UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Middle Easy : Manel Kape Says He’s ‘Undefeated In The Streets’, Could Beat Israel Adesanya In A Street Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m looking to upset the world’: Valenzuela geared up to pull off win over Pitbull
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m looking to upset the world’: Jose Valenzuela geared up to pull off upset over Isaac ‘Pitbull’ Cruz
  • MMA Junkie : Ilia Topuria vows to surpass Cristiano Ronaldo as highest-paid athlete in 2025: 'I have no doubt, really'
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Aljamain Sterling, Beneil Dariush, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Steve Erceg expects ‘bottles to be thrown at me’ following win over Alexandre Pantoja at UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Ali Alqaisi vs. Samuel Bark featherweight title fight headlines UAE Warriors 50
  • Middle Easy : Alexandre Pantoja Tells Sean Strickland To ‘Shut Your Mouth’, Claims He ‘Smashed’ Sean O’Malley In Sparring And ‘Suga’ Has The Video
  • MMA Mania : Canelo Vs Munguia Fight Card, PPV Start Time
  • MMA Junkie : David Feldman: Conor McGregor a BKFC minority owner, 'but he has a lot of say in this company'
  • Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker ‘Very Confident’ His Grappling Skills Are Better Than Khamzat Chimaev, Reveals Gameplan For ‘Borz’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘The world is waiting for it’: Usyk’s promoter hopes Fury takes precautions for May 18 showdown
  • MMA Mania : Izzy Beware! Manel Kape ‘Undefeated In The Streets’
  • UFC.com : Significant Stats | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown rips boxing promoters refusing to follow UFC’s lead: ‘They’re still stuck in the 1990s’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 roundtable: Is Alexandre Pantoja ripe for an upset?