Tapology Forums

Melendez Not With UFC?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

02.12.2014 | 8:21 PM ET

Apparently negotiations between the UFC and Gilbert Melendez have stalled. Dana even said he should field offers from other promotions. Wow.......I just.....How did this happen?

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Responses Page 6

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

02.15.2014 | 3:29 PM ET

I don't think the UFC will match Bellator's offer like @Don'tbescared said but Dana's gonna be pissed that Bellator stole one of his fighters and one of the best at that. I believe Dana thought that Gil was gonna bend once he said he didn't care about Gil anymore, my guess is that it was a bluff that backfired.

I hope Gil does great in Bellator and he Eddie and Chandler put great exciting fights for the fans. thet will set an exaple to other fighters and the UFC may think twice before bullying a fighter in the future ( at least the good ones)

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

02.15.2014 | 3:47 PM ET

One of the most difficult and hard to envision questions is that if other MMA companies develop real challenges to the UFC's current supremacy, will that represent a positive or negative development for the fans.

It will be a double-edged sword.  We won't be able to see ALL the best fight each other, but the UFC will not be in a position to bully its fighters with such impunity as they are now able to get away with.  Today, they can get away with murder because its fighters are terrified of being thrown out and ruining their careers.

Multiple strong MMA groups will have its good points and its negative ones.  I think we all remember the bad old days of boxing when the situation was impossible and it killed boxing.  

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

02.15.2014 | 3:49 PM ET

Good question Bill. In my opinion the bad out weighs the good in that type of scenario. 

* Edited at 02.15.2014, 3:49 PM ET *

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.15.2014 | 4:25 PM ET

I agree with you, Ben.  For now.  But that could change if and when the other MMA companies develop into true challengers.  If and when that were to happen, co-promotion could be a viable option out of the darkness.

But the negotiations might be long, tedious and intense.  But where there's a will, there's a way.  

Co-promotion is not the boogie man that everyone in the house makes it out to be.  Co-promotion need not be a 50-50 split.  It could be 90-10 or 80-20 or anything else.

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

02.15.2014 | 4:46 PM ET

I don´t think that will ever happen. I think what´s more realistic is the UFC controling everything, and having several feader organizations, and regional titles. 

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.15.2014 | 5:38 PM ET

I understand what you're saying, Ben.  But that is because the UFC is in such a dominating position now.  But historically, there have been almost no other examples of a sports company that over the long term, remained the dominant company, in a virtual monopolistic position versus its competitors.

What other sports company accomplished such a rare achievement?  The norm in America is for sports companies to from into leagues, and even for leagues to form and compete in a grand annual super event, like the world series or SuperBowl. 

* Edited at 02.15.2014, 5:39 PM ET *

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

02.15.2014 | 11:12 PM ET

when the day comes that mma has a universal league comparable to the likes of the NFL, or NBA, the three letters people will use to refer to that league will be UFC

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  35,082  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,409
  • Post Score: 322

02.18.2014 | 3:09 AM ET

Does anyone feel bad for Dave Jansen at all? The dude was supposed to get his title shot a long time ago and I feel he won't now with Gilbert coming in. I hope he doesn't get the shaft again.

* Edited at 02.18.2014, 3:13 AM ET *

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

02.18.2014 | 9:19 AM ET

him and Frodo, Just remember what Bjorn said "tournaments tell the truth"

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

nogfan
nogfan
  • Predictions:  15,253  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,269
  • Post Score: 199

02.18.2014 | 3:08 PM ET

Dave Jensen tore his ACL.
OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  35,082  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,409
  • Post Score: 322

02.18.2014 | 7:22 PM ET

^That was in June. Chandler fought Rickels back in July.  He than had his rematch with Alvarez in November. Which Jansen had to wait on.

I've also heard that Dave was told by Bellator saying that they would, and I quote, "give him a can" to keep him busy. Which I doubt will fly with him.

The tournaments mean jack **** if the winners can't fight the champ like they are supposed to. While they are enjoyable, they need to get that **** under control. Otherwise, all it will do is make fans and fighters unhappy. To be completely honest, I don't feel Bellator needs to do tournaments anymore... but I don't feel as they should do away with them completely.

* Edited at 02.18.2014, 7:23 PM ET *

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Two Exciting Title-Fights Announced For Polaris 28
  • Jits Magazine : UFC Fight Pass Invitational 7 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Watch ‘Demolidor’ Rescue Dogs From Brazilian Flood
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92: Best betting props, parlays and picks
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92: Best Betting Props, Parlays And Picks
  • MMA Junkie : 'Reborn' Ramiz Brahimaj returns to UFC with new perspective after 'nasty' injury jeopardized career
  • MMA Mania : ‘Two Or Three Times Bigger!’ Saudi Arabia Has Big Plans For Second UFC Event
  • MMA Junkie : UFC matchmaker Mick Maynard offers insight on scouting regional talent
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Breaking down Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk, UFC Vegas 92, and Bellator Paris
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Believes MMA’s Current Rule Set Favors Strikers: ‘I Don’t Think People Should Stand You Up, Ever’
  • MMA Junkie : Carlston Harris hopes UFC Fight Night 241 win leads to 'good names' like Neil Magny, Geoff Neal
  • MMA Mania : Video: Gorimbo Breaks Down After Coach’s Mother Dies On Media Day
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241's Vinicius Salvador guarantees first-round KO of Adrian Yanez: 'Write it down'
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk full fight card
  • Middle Easy : Tim Welch Rates Mike Tyson’s Chances vs. Jake Paul: ‘Early On, He’s Gonna Be Scary’
  • MMA Mania : Barboza The BMF? ‘Who Has Better Highlight KOs Than Me?’
  • MMAFighting.com : Ring announcer Dan Hennessy retiring after viral screw up: ‘No longer the world’s punching bag’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Only Mancunian' Lerone Murphy appreciates full circle moment, crosses fingers for UFC 304
  • MMAFighting.com : Cédric Doumbé: Anthony Pettis fight ‘99 percent’ a done deal
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Mark Hulme | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko